2024 Fundraising - $1192 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Fable -- Installation Problems

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Kellhus

Fable -- Installation Problems

Post by Kellhus »

Running on Windows XP SP2. The installation goes fine until Disk 4, in which case it eventually slows down to a crawl, and at some point gives me a "Error 1305: Can't Read C:/Program Files/...../textres.big" error dialog.

One of the options is Retry. I click on Retry and the installation resumes, but it just goes on and on and on -- I gave up after about an hour. I can see that it's still building the textres.big file, but it looks like it's building it at the rate of 1K per minute or something.

Any ideas? I've googled but not found anything relevant.
Darkie

Post by Darkie »

Problems with RAM/Virtual Memory?

Too little for it to build?
Jeff

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

"I don't accept the currently fashionable assertion that any view is automatically as worthy of respect as any equal and opposite view. My view is that the moon is made of rock. If someone says to me, 'Well, you haven't been there, have you? You haven't seen it for yourself, so my view that it is made of Norwegian beaver cheese is equally valid' - then I can't even be bothered to argue. There is such a thing as the burden of proof..." - Douglas Adams
Kellhus

Post by Kellhus »

Darkie wrote:Problems with RAM/Virtual Memory?

Too little for it to build?
I've got 2GB of RAM, so I don't think it's this. The whole PC (AMD 3800+) just slogs to a crawl.
FTWalker

Post by FTWalker »

Sounds to me like your CD drive may be the problem. I have 2 in my rig, an old DVD-rom and a newer DVD-RW. There are some disks that the older drive just doesn't like anymore but will load perfectly from the other.
My theory is that, after a while, drives slip just enough out of alignment to cause them to have trouble reading mediocre burns of disks or disks burned at a higher speed (not as "deep" a burn as at a slower speed).
What you might try is to re-burn your troublesome disk on another PC, but at a slow (4x-8x) speed, and see if this fixes it - if, of course, disk 4 isn't copy-protected.
If you can't re-burn it or it doesn't work, at least new drives are quite cheap now :D
Hope this helps!
Kellhus

Post by Kellhus »

FTWalker: Thanks for the reply. Looks like I just got a bad CD. Tried to install on an older machine, got the same issue. I tried copying it on two different machines, and got a CRC error.