2024 Fundraising - $1192 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

SW Empire at War is gold

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

SlapBone

Post by SlapBone »

Ranulf wrote: pre order is just pointless.
Sorry to edit so heavily, but I agree with this part of your statement 100%.

I have not preordered a single game since Guild Wars (and that was just to get in the Beta). A little bit of legwork and a little bit of homework will get you far these days.

I'm tired of EBGames and Gamestop flunkies treating me like a second-rate citizen because I don't preorder. The XBox 360 is the perfect example of how those particular retailers feel about your preorder money. I'll admit my example is extreme but it does take their retail philosophy to its natural conclusion:

"We could give a shit about your $50 when we will make $100 bundling games with your unit and sell it to someone who didn't put down a dime"

Now back to your regularly scheduled topic...
Lee

Post by Lee »

Picked it up at the BX on base. They NEVER get games the first day. Well until today.

I guess I should get my ass in gear and my computer working now.

As far as Prime, it's easily worth it for me. I ordered a lot of stuff online, so it pays off for me. It's meant for their hardcore customers.
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Ender

Post by Ender »

wtf is up with the lack of impressions??? come on many consumption decions are based upon the outcome of your impressions.
Kobra

Post by Kobra »

First impressions after a couple runs: AMAZING..

Graphics and Sound are fabulous, and the BALANCE seems really good.. Star Destroyers are GIANT, and very strong.. Vader is a blast to control with his squadron. Playing more later, but so far, it seems really fun and well produced.
Munin

Post by Munin »

Uh, so do the demo unit proportions differ from the full version?
Kobra

Post by Kobra »

There were no Star Destroyers in the demo, those were Cruisers. Whole different ball game now.

As for land combat, it seems very good, FAR better than the demo.

Cinematic camera is much better, and you tap the "Space Bar" to move to the next unit in cinema mode, so you really get an amazing view of the battles. AT-AT's are strong, like in the movies, rebels seem to have to really work hard to take them down.
docvego

Post by docvego »

thanks for the info Kobra, keep it coming. actually you should probably start the SW:E@W Impressions thread since the game is now released. :wink:
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Lee wrote:Picked it up at the BX on base. They NEVER get games the first day. Well until today.
Well, technically, they haven't since the first day is really tommorrow. :)
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Vesper

Post by Vesper »

Stopped by Best Buy on the way home but no luck. Just an empty shelf that said "Empire at War in stores 2/16!" :(

Tomorrow we have 3-5 inches of snow/freezing rain arriving.. might have to wait until Friday.
Hetz

Post by Hetz »

Vesper wrote:Stopped by Best Buy on the way home but no luck. Just an empty shelf that said "Empire at War in stores 2/16!" :(

Tomorrow we have 3-5 inches of snow/freezing rain arriving.. might have to wait until Friday.
Heh, they had the same banner at my Best Buy....but all the Star Wars games right above it! :)

I picked it up and got the free $10 Gift card as well.
My Gamertag: Hetz OO
PSN ID: Hetz76
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/HetzOO
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

SlapBone wrote:
Ranulf wrote: pre order is just pointless.
Sorry to edit so heavily, but I agree with this part of your statement 100%.

I have not preordered a single game since Guild Wars (and that was just to get in the Beta). A little bit of legwork and a little bit of homework will get you far these days.

I'm tired of EBGames and Gamestop flunkies treating me like a second-rate citizen because I don't preorder. The XBox 360 is the perfect example of how those particular retailers feel about your preorder money. I'll admit my example is extreme but it does take their retail philosophy to its natural conclusion:

"We could give a shit about your $50 when we will make $100 bundling games with your unit and sell it to someone who didn't put down a dime"

Now back to your regularly scheduled topic...
I disagree. Pre-orders for the small stores like EB and GS are also used to determine supply. They can't always meet the demand, but that is not their fault.
Especially with PC games, which many stores are limiting now, if there isn't a demand for it, it doesn't make sense to pay to stock it.
With the 360, the demand was higher than the supply. It has nothing to do with EB and GS's wishes. If they have a customer who is paying up front, then they SHOULD get their stuff before other people who haven't. It also shows loyalty for their regular customers (as they are usually the only ones who pre-order. Until recent staff changes, all the local GS employees knew me, now with new staff, I had to start over :P ).
I do understand how it could seem like you are being treated as a 3rd rate customer, (and depending on the actual employees, maybe you are), but many times asking if you pre-ordered it has a few reasons:
1) They may be low on stock and need to keep them all for the pre-orders, so if you didn't pre-order it they don't have any for you.
2) My store usually puts the pre-orders in a separate place, so asking helps determine where they get the stock from.
3) I wouldn't be surprised if it's company policy to have the employees always ask that. I was in retail for years and we routinely got handed down stupid marketing slogans from corporate. I remember one time when I worked at WaldenSoftware, we had to ask everyone about trading in their old games. I got shopped(For those that don't know, getting shopped is when corporate hires an outside company to come to your store, pretend to be a customer, and make sure you do everything you're supposed to.) by a woman dressed in a business suit asking about some productivity software for her business (It may have been Quicken). I made a judgement call that this woman couldn't care less about our Nintendo trade-in policy and lost 5 points, getting a 95. (Still great, but sucks for that 1 thing) Anyway, since this may be the case, they have to say it all the time and may eventually get fed up with it. I know when I call various stores and have to listen to a 15 second speil everytime I call, about something I could care less about, I get ticked. If I am calling about a video card, I don't care that product x is on sale.
4) The particular store you go to has a bunch of asshats. It happens everywhere, especially places with low salaries and relativly high turnover.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us