2024 Fundraising - $1192 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Anyone elses Civ4 CTD like mad?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Melhisedek

Anyone elses Civ4 CTD like mad?

Post by Melhisedek »

Patched up, all the latest drivers, bells and whistles. Rig plays every other game without a hitch.

A64 3200
6800GT
2Gig RAM

I can't play for more than 5 minutes before a totally random CTD happens :(
Turnabout

Post by Turnabout »

Is it the nv4_disp.dll one?
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

Hey Melhisedek, as I posted in the "Civ4: 3d makes me sad" thread, I've got two graphics cards. With the ATI 9550 it crashes in mid- to late- game regularly, sometimes every turn or two. With my old-school GeForce 4 Ti, game is solid as a rock. That's with the latest ATI drivers (as of when Civ4 was released) and having uninstalled/reinstalled DirectX.

So yeah, I'm feeling your pain. New Civ4 patch should be coming out shortly (I think it's supposed to be out within the next week or so), so here's hoping this takes care of our problems.
Melhisedek

Post by Melhisedek »

Well I wouldn't know if it is "nv4_disp.dll" as this is the fastest CTD in the world. Incredible. I'm browsing through research tree, release mouse, paff I'm at desktop.

I'm at loss here, no idea what causes the bloody crashes as my rig is rock stable (running F@H 24/7 for a year)

Worst thing is that I'm hooked and really want to play this one :/
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

For a data point I'm running Civ4 without any CTDs, 2.8 GHtz P4, 1GB RAM, Radeon X800 Pro with the Catalyst 6.1 drivers.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

check some of the Civ forums to see if people there have the same issue.

civfanatics.com
apolyton.net
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
Geezerone

Post by Geezerone »

Before the last patch I was having CTDs whenever I played large or huge maps. And my machine has a ATI X800 Pro, Athlon64 3000, and 1.5G of RAM. (It was worse on my laptop with only 750K of RAM)

But the patch seemed to have fixed the memory management issues. Since then I think I only have had one CTD. I feel your pain though.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Geezerone wrote:Before the last patch I was having CTDs whenever I played large or huge maps. And my machine has a ATI X800 Pro, Athlon64 3000, and 1.5G of RAM. (It was worse on my laptop with only 750K of RAM)

But the patch seemed to have fixed the memory management issues. Since then I think I only have had one CTD. I feel your pain though.
I was in the same boat myself. Here's a few things to try (no promises but when I had crashing issues before these helped make the game playable again for me on huge maps late game):

*Re-install dx 9.0c out of the dx directory on the install disc, it shipped with a special version of dx so you want to install the one off the disc. I think the newer version of dx that MS just released after Civ IV came out likely also has the same stuff so that might work too.

*Play Civ in windowed mode. You can set the civ iv config .ini file (in your installation directory for a file called "_Civ4Config") to ask every time you start the game if you want to play in windowed mode.

*Of course make sure you have the latest video drivers and the 1.52 patch.

*Once you have the 1.52 patch you can go into the aforementioned config .ini and try turning on the MemSaver function (change from 0 to 1).

*Try 'SyncInput=1' in the Sync input to smooth interface line in the civ4config.ini.

*While you are in the ini you may as well change autosave to happen every turn and to keep a max of 100 autosaves. This will save your ass when you crash or later on when you get the game running will save your ass when you make a poor decision. ;)

*After you make chages you probably want to clear the game cache. There is a game cache in the user profile. Apparently some config info gets saved there, so it should be cleared after every change. Look for it here
C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\My Games\Civilization IV\cache (WinXP).

Hope this helps. Before the patch the two biggest life-savers for me was playing in windowed mode and changing the sync input. Also try playing on a smaller map.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Melhisedek

Post by Melhisedek »

Looks like this helped :P Played for good 2-3 hours last night with no crashes at all :P
I don't know how to thank you mate!
Of course I've got some 3½ hours of sleep last night because of it but I better get used to it. This one will devour my life like 3rd one did ;)
Cheers!
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Melhisedek wrote:Looks like this helped :P Played for good 2-3 hours last night with no crashes at all :P
I don't know how to thank you mate!
Of course I've got some 3½ hours of sleep last night because of it but I better get used to it. This one will devour my life like 3rd one did ;)
Cheers!
No, no, no, you have it wrong. This one will make CivIII look like it was beneficial to your social/work life. Beware the addiction.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken