Passing thoughts

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

WAW

Passing thoughts

Post by WAW »

Joe M. Richardson: "The duped soldier should be put at the very front of the action, no armor. The cooperating sergeant's career should be over and maybe become MIA. Pitts and all his cronies should be executed as traitors. We are fighting a war, the debate is over, you’re either for us or against us, there is no middle ground. I say start executing the leftists in our country, soon."
Wow angry he must really love America. :shock:
Attention Korean war vets you might want to get ready for some overseas service. :shock:
Dr. John Caulfield thought it had to be a mistake when the Army asked him to return to active duty. After all, he's 70 years old and had already retired - twice. He left the Army in 1980 and private practice two years ago.
Hey I wonder what Joe M. Richardson is doing?
You want to know how I did it? This is how I did it, Anton. I never saved anything for the swim back!
WW
Faldarian

Post by Faldarian »

What a series of intelligent comments in that article.

One intelligent response that's probably not far from the truth:
William Naegele, Albuquerque, N.M.: "I can't think of a better way to provide the military with an excuse to shut embeds out and send the whole press corps back to Kuwait."
But then there's these...
Tom Fish, Arroyo Grande, Calif.: "I'm sure that most of the GI's in Iraq can think for themselves. Reporter stepped over the line."
So... they can think for themselves. So when he asked it wasn't his choice to do that, and when the people cheered it wasn't them doing it? So the reporter asked him to ask the question; these soldiers CAN think for themselves, and he still asked it. What does that say?

And oh yeah, this gentleman...
Joe M. Richardson: "The duped soldier should be put at the very front of the action, no armor. The cooperating sergeant's career should be over and maybe become MIA. Pitts and all his cronies should be executed as traitors. We are fighting a war, the debate is over, you’re either for us or against us, there is no middle ground. I say start executing the leftists in our country, soon."
Mr. Joe M. Richardson, staunch defender of the right of the Iraqi people to have freedom from tyranny and the right for them to have free speech without Saddam's goons killing them should they disagree.

Thanks for illustrating the problem us lefties have with your guy and his way of thinking, Joe.
Peter Minoc, Vallejo, Calif.: "I would hate to think how World War II would turn out if our military had a media like the one today. There were so many friendly-fire deaths to ill-equipped units that led to soldiers dying, but the media of that time knew what the stakes were. The media today has this suicidal belief that their press credentials will protect them from the Islamic fascists. This belief is so strong that you are willing to lower the morale of the people fighting for your right to attack this administration. Stop being the damn story and just report the news!"
Because it was an attack on the administration, not a question as to why they were being sent in with inadequate armor. Asking questions is bad for morale, wanting better equipment is wrong, and not dying without question is the sign of a bad soldier.

World War 2 doesn't compare. The situation isn't even close to similar in any way. Vietnam and Korea, on the other hand...
Ron Bean, Pachuta, Miss.: "He knew it was a low-life tactic to use a GI that was probably stressed out from having to go into Iraq. Oh, I forgot, anything to get a story. What happened to reporting the news instead of making the news?"
I saw the video of this, and the reporter's hand was nowhere near the soldier's ass nor were there any puppet strings hanging from the ceiling.

Face it, the guy asked because it was a legitimate question. The reaction from the other people in the room said it was a legitimate question. Why is the reporter being villainized when the soldier asked of his own free will?

Wade Hampton, Phoenix, Ariz.: "That was a well orchestrated con job by Pitts. Sure you’re going to get some cheering, a good portion of our military are indeed liberals who voted for Kerry. Plus the military always needs or wants something. If they made a one-man tank suit they would all want one, although I doubt Kerry would have approved the funding. What the media has done is insure that military personnel probably won't be given the opportunity to ask questions in this manner again."
Right. BLAME KERRY! Goddamn liberals who want armored vehicles in a war zone.

This kind of crap just sets off a nerve. This isn't a bloody political issue, it's an issue of the equipment that these guys have out in the field. This doesn't have a damn thing to do with Bush vs. Kerry, liberals and conservatism, or jack shit to do with political figures unless you take any questioning of our procedure as an attack on our government or our government figures.

It's well past time that people like Joe Richardson learn to shut their cockholsters and look at the bigger picture.
Poleaxe

Post by Poleaxe »

Interesting that you guys brought this up rather than a conservative. We rightly decided that it didn't matter while discussing the armor issue. Now, late as usual, you come here and parade these quotes as if the left doesn't have a fringe element to draw material from. News Flash: go to the first war protest you see, start asking questions, and wait for the Leno segment to begin.
farley2k

Post by farley2k »

Poleaxe wrote:Interesting that you guys brought this up rather than a conservative. We rightly decided that it didn't matter while discussing the armor issue. Now, late as usual, you come here and parade these quotes as if the left doesn't have a fringe element to draw material from. News Flash: go to the first war protest you see, start asking questions, and wait for the Leno segment to begin.
What the hell is up with this? Why if you agree with these folks do you only come into the thread to be a dick?

It is the sactaminous, holier than God attitude of "conservative" in this forum that make it an inhospitable, little secret club which actively drives people away.

Good job. Someday you will get your wish and only people who think like you will post. Only people that post topics you approve of will appear.

Wouldn't it be eaiser to just get an etch-a-sketch? Then you would be the only one who could say anything.
Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative the same night

- Dave Barry
strummer

Post by strummer »

Poleaxe wrote:Interesting that you guys brought this up rather than a conservative. We rightly decided that it didn't matter while discussing the armor issue.

We rightly decided huh? Why didn't we sent out a memo to everyone else? If we are going to make such righteous decisions it would be best to share them with those who are incapable of such perfect thought.
Poleaxe

Post by Poleaxe »

farley2k wrote:
Poleaxe wrote:Interesting that you guys brought this up rather than a conservative. We rightly decided that it didn't matter while discussing the armor issue. Now, late as usual, you come here and parade these quotes as if the left doesn't have a fringe element to draw material from. News Flash: go to the first war protest you see, start asking questions, and wait for the Leno segment to begin.
What the hell is up with this? Why if you agree with these folks do you only come into the thread to be a dick?

It is the sactaminous, holier than God attitude of "conservative" in this forum that make it an inhospitable, little secret club which actively drives people away.

Good job. Someday you will get your wish and only people who think like you will post. Only people that post topics you approve of will appear.

Wouldn't it be eaiser to just get an etch-a-sketch? Then you would be the only one who could say anything.
Yet random quotes from fringe elements is a perfectly fine post? What is the point of this thread Farley?

And it's already been established that this forum is majority left leaning, so if there is a righty cabal then we aren't doing a very good job.

This thread could have been taken in any number of directions that would have led to conversation and debate. This wasn't one of them. This thread was all about "hey look how much these people suck." And I am preventing reasonable discussion?
Poleaxe

Post by Poleaxe »

strummer wrote:
Poleaxe wrote:Interesting that you guys brought this up rather than a conservative. We rightly decided that it didn't matter while discussing the armor issue.

We rightly decided huh? Why didn't we sent out a memo to everyone else? If we are going to make such righteous decisions it would be best to share them with those who are incapable of such perfect thought.
This story broke last week. Seen anyone come here and post about the "liberal media" hating America?
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Poleaxe wrote: And it's already been established that this forum is majority left leaning, so if there is a righty cabal then we aren't doing a very good job.
Established by who, exactly (other than you and msduncan)? Care to provide any evidence, or will you just ignore my request the same way msd did?

Rm9, Grundebriff and the other righty-leaning posters might not agree with your sweeping generalization.

And you've been living with your head in the sand if you haven't heard the right-wing puppetheads desparately trying to spin this story so it's about the reporter rather than the lack of armor.
Poleaxe

Post by Poleaxe »

Exodor wrote:
Poleaxe wrote: And it's already been established that this forum is majority left leaning, so if there is a righty cabal then we aren't doing a very good job.
Established by who, exactly (other than you and msduncan)? Care to provide any evidence, or will you just ignore my request the same way msd did?

Rm9, Grundebriff and the other righty-leaning posters might not agree with your sweeping generalization.
http://www.octopusoverlords.com/phpBB2/ ... .php?t=325
Not scientific, but it got 151 responses (huge percentage sample size) and over a thousand views.
And you've been living with your head in the sand if you haven't heard the right-wing puppetheads desparately trying to spin this story so it's about the reporter rather than the lack of armor.
Maybe, but I notice that none of the right-wing puppetheads here have tried to spin it.
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

Poleaxe, I know a huge ammount of conservative people, IRL and on this board, who voted for Kerry. Kerry is a democrat, but he was also the only guy with a chance against Bush, so any republican who wasn't happy with Bush's insanity seem to vote for Kerry.
ohh and here is your rolly eyes you lost em. :roll:
-AttAdude
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

Hold on, if the reporter was such a jack-ass then why did the soldier get cheered when he asked the question? Sure, the reporter went about it the wrong wrong way, but that doesn't make the question any less valid or a true concern.

Oh, did anyone see the news report about the soldiers that are putting the makeshift armor on the vehicles? Those guys are awesome.
Poleaxe

Post by Poleaxe »

Eduardo X wrote:Poleaxe, I know a huge ammount of conservative people, IRL and on this board, who voted for Kerry. Kerry is a democrat, but he was also the only guy with a chance against Bush, so any republican who wasn't happy with Bush's insanity seem to vote for Kerry.
I'm sure there was some crossover vote both ways, but remember we are talking about OO not the country in general.

Over 70% voting for Kerry... are you really suggesting that so many conservatives on this board voted for Kerry? Hell, are you suggesting that there are so many more republicans in the general electorate that repubs lost a significant amount of their party votes and still won the popular vote by 3 million?
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

Poleaxe wrote:
Eduardo X wrote:Poleaxe, I know a huge ammount of conservative people, IRL and on this board, who voted for Kerry. Kerry is a democrat, but he was also the only guy with a chance against Bush, so any republican who wasn't happy with Bush's insanity seem to vote for Kerry.
I'm sure there was some crossover vote both ways, but remember we are talking about OO not the country in general.

Over 70% voting for Kerry... are you really suggesting that so many conservatives on this board voted for Kerry? Hell, are you suggesting that there are so many more republicans in the general electorate that repubs lost a significant amount of their party votes and still won the popular vote by 3 million?
I'm justy suggesting that the conservatives on OO seemed very happy to vote against Bush.
While the nation did vote for Bush, OO did not, but that doesn't make it a liberal haven. Check this out: The OO Who Are We Poll
My guess is that there will be more "liberals" than "conservatives," but only by a little bit.
-AttAdude
Poleaxe

Post by Poleaxe »

Ed, being on the right on that compass does not put one on the right in american politics.

I would also like to point out that I did not even use the word liberal. I said the board was majority left leaning, and I stand by it.
Gwar21

Post by Gwar21 »

Poleaxe wrote:Ed, being on the right on that compass does not put one on the right in american politics.

I would also like to point out that I did not even use the word liberal. I said the board was majority left leaning, and I stand by it.
I agree 100%. I've been visiting this site for awhile, and I'd say left-leaning members outnumber right-leaning members by more than a 2:1 margin. I can only think of 8 regular right-leaning posters, off the top of my head...RunningM, msduncan, poleaxe, noxiousdog, DD, yankeeman, YK, and myself. All other regs I can think of are people I'd label as left-leaning, and there's a lot more than 8 other regular posters out there.

As for those presidential polls...sure, maybe a few conservative people voted for Kerry, but I don't think they did so in numbers like that poll shows. I, for one, don't know a single conservative person in real life who voted for Kerry, which leads me to think that Ed's definition of "conservative" differs greatly from mine (and since I'm a conservative, I tend to trust my definition more :wink: ). I think that Presidential poll's a very good indicator of how things lie here.
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

Gwar, along the same lines as who is really "conservative," I don't really think there are many left-leaning people on this forum. That's what happens when you're passionate, I guess.
-AttAdude
Gwar21

Post by Gwar21 »

Eduardo X wrote:Gwar, along the same lines as who is really "conservative," I don't really think there are many left-leaning people on this forum. That's what happens when you're passionate, I guess.
Yeah, you think there are a lot of people on the right because you're soooo far to the left that nearly everyone IS on your right. :wink: Thus, most people seem centrist or right-leaning in comparison to you. I think most people use themselves as the standard against which all others are measured, so that's not surprising.
geezer

Post by geezer »

Gwar21 wrote:
I agree 100%. I've been visiting this site for awhile, and I'd say left-leaning members outnumber right-leaning members by more than a 2:1 margin. I can only think of 8 regular right-leaning posters, off the top of my head...RunningM, msduncan, poleaxe, noxiousdog, DD, yankeeman, YK, and myself.
Thing is, I'm not even sure I'd paint all those people wih a generic "conservative" brush. Offhand I can think of issues that ND and RM9 (and I think yankeeman) would be considered very liberal on and I would consider Poleaxe fairly centrist, though with SOME fairly conservative leanings.

It seems more to me that the subjects that frequently get discussed here (over and over again ;) ) have a fairly consistent set of advocates/opponants that tend to group them into one "label" or another.

I'm willing to bet that if we randomly selected an entirely different set of conversations and were trult able to limit our opinons to those formed by a result of those discussions, we'd have a pretty different perception of how the forum "leans."
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Gwar21 wrote: I agree 100%. I've been visiting this site for awhile, and I'd say left-leaning members outnumber right-leaning members by more than a 2:1 margin. I can only think of 8 regular right-leaning posters, off the top of my head...RunningM, msduncan, poleaxe, noxiousdog, DD, yankeeman, YK, and myself. All other regs I can think of are people I'd label as left-leaning, and there's a lot more than 8 other regular posters out there.
I'm sure Grund, Grifman and Preacher will be thrilled to be welcomed into the godless liberal ranks. ;)
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Gwar21

Post by Gwar21 »

Little Raven wrote:
Gwar21 wrote: I agree 100%. I've been visiting this site for awhile, and I'd say left-leaning members outnumber right-leaning members by more than a 2:1 margin. I can only think of 8 regular right-leaning posters, off the top of my head...RunningM, msduncan, poleaxe, noxiousdog, DD, yankeeman, YK, and myself. All other regs I can think of are people I'd label as left-leaning, and there's a lot more than 8 other regular posters out there.
I'm sure Grund, Grifman and Preacher will be thrilled to be welcomed into the godless liberal ranks. ;)
:oops:

Heh, I'm sure after this slight they'll be hopping over there as a matter of protest.
WAW

Post by WAW »

I'm Dem yet I agree with George Pataki on most things.
You want to know how I did it? This is how I did it, Anton. I never saved anything for the swim back!
WW