Space Empires 4: Deluxe

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

hog

Space Empires 4: Deluxe

Post by hog »

While we're waiting for SE5, you may want to pick up SE4 if you never did. Great 4X-in-space game. They just released a deluxe edition. There is a demo available!
The new SE4 Deluxe is now available at Strategy First, Inc. You can access their order page here. At present, you can only purchase the downloadable version, the boxed version will be coming a little later. What's new in SE4 Deluxe? Well, its mainly a new release with Strategy First. It has some new graphics and a new sound system which no longer needs the CD. And of course it has all of the bugs fixes and feature additions through SE4 Gold plus a few more.

Later this week we will be releasing a patch for all of those people who have SE4 Standard and SE4 Gold which will update their versions to the current version of SE4 Deluxe.
Not too exciting for SE4 vets, but I'll definitely grab the patch when it is available, assuming I can pull myself away from Civ 4.

PS: Anybody know anything good/bad about Strategy First? I don't follow the whole which-companies-are-evil thing, is this a step up from Shrapnel?
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

Wasn't it Strategy First that released that crap Wal-Mart version of Strike Fighters?
Name the 3 branches of the US Government: "Judicial, legislative....I can twerk"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I have SE4 GOLD sitting here in front of me so dont need to repurchase it. Those that dont have this cant go wrong though. great game.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Rabid moth

Post by Rabid moth »

I can say bad, or I could say good...
DCL

Post by DCL »

Thinking about getting this and was wondering. How is the AI? And are there plans to improve the AI in the strategy first deluxe release?

thanks.
"If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters. This struggle may be a moral one; or it may be a physical one; or it may be both moral and physical; but it must be a struggle."

— Frederick Douglass
hog

Post by hog »

I don't know what modifications are being made to the game for this release, exactly, beyond what was written in that little blurb.

The stock AI opponents will challenge you for a while, but the AI isn't great.

The good news, though, is that there are plenty of mods you can install which will provide a good challenge. There's a TDM-Modpack that combines a bunch of different mods in one, none of which change the gameplay at all - just add more challenging opponents. Highly recommended!

I'm pretty sure that the "T" in TDM is for "Tampa Gamer", who I've seen posting around here occasionally.

Definitely check out the demo. The game's graphics are a little dated (even when they were current they were somewhat substandard), so it isn't for everyone.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The TDM AI will ruthlessly exploit your technological weaknesses. In a few games, I attacked with a few large, high-value capital ships and took over 50% or more of my opponent's territory, only to suddenly find out that the AI rush-researched space mines (or starfighters, etc.) to take advantage of a weakness in my fleet.

I was always unable to finish a game, however -- Space Empires IV is high on micromanagement. Still, I had great fun until the game became unmanageable. Some "all in one" management screens with the TDM mod and the game would be classic.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
KiloOhm

Re: Space Empires 4: Deluxe

Post by KiloOhm »

The Hogenator wrote:While we're waiting for SE5, you may want to pick up SE4 if you never did. Great 4X-in-space game. They just released a deluxe edition. There is a demo available!
The new SE4 Deluxe is now available at Strategy First, Inc. You can access their order page here. At present, you can only purchase the downloadable version, the boxed version will be coming a little later. What's new in SE4 Deluxe? Well, its mainly a new release with Strategy First. It has some new graphics and a new sound system which no longer needs the CD. And of course it has all of the bugs fixes and feature additions through SE4 Gold plus a few more.

Later this week we will be releasing a patch for all of those people who have SE4 Standard and SE4 Gold which will update their versions to the current version of SE4 Deluxe.
Not too exciting for SE4 vets, but I'll definitely grab the patch when it is available, assuming I can pull myself away from Civ 4.

PS: Anybody know anything good/bad about Strategy First? I don't follow the whole which-companies-are-evil thing, is this a step up from Shrapnel?
Excellent! I have SEIV standard and was pretty miffed when they released Gold and wanted the people who bought the original game to buy the gold (at a disocunt) to get the new features. Poor customer loyalty.
Darth Homer

Post by Darth Homer »

Has anyone ordered (i.e. downloaded) the Deluxe version from Strategy First's online store? I was going to do it last night, but I read something on their forums that made me think twice...mainly the CD-Key system.

For anyone who has ordered it, would I be able to uninstall the game and reinstall it at a later time? Also, some have reported making changes to their system and having the game switch into trial mode because their system map changed.

I never jumped on this game before (played the original demo), but I played the Gold demo last night and thought it would be a nice game to pick up while I wait to pick up GalCiv2 at retail. and for $20, not a stretch on the wallet.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Take Care!
Brian
mori

Post by mori »

It's also available on Steam for $19.95.
Tampa_Gamer

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

Glad to hear people still like and use the TDM-Modpack - we rolled version 1.00 out in January 2001! Many of the AI authors behind the mod are actually beta testers on SE5. Fans of the single-player side of SE4 should be really looking forward to the AI script system which will give AI modders 100x more control of the AIs.

Anyway, I wanted to respond to the comment regarding late games becoming unmanageable. I agree. In fact, it was one of the main topics of our periodical beta tester/developer chat yesterday. The developer agreed to put in some handy tools that were suggested by the testers to try and make the list screens more customized. I'm able to say this b/c the developer mentioned this specific item later yesterday when he hopped on the public #se5 channel for a few minutes to talk to fans (so no NDA violation).
Svlad

Post by Svlad »

I'd just like to point out that you evil people and your confidence that the opponents in TDM are worth playing again have resulted in me reinstalling the game.

Bad, naughty forum!
'Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.'