No more flashlight beatings, only regular ones for LAPD.

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Eduardo X

No more flashlight beatings, only regular ones for LAPD.

Post by Eduardo X »

Aussie77 showed this one to me. Still has me laughing.
Flashlights are not to be used as weapons MUCH. Just in emergencies and really extrordinary beatings.
ohh and here is your rolly eyes you lost em. :roll:
-AttAdude
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

The city's police commission unveiled a plan Tuesday aimed at discouraging officers from using flashlights as weapons, except in emergencies.
I'd like to think that an officer shouldn't strike anyone with anything unless he's in a situation that could be called an emergency.

Around here, the police are armed with 3 foot extendable steel beatsticks, so flashlight beatings have been sparse anyway.
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

I read the article and was wondering if the flashlights were that much more damaging than their nightsticks. Is it the weight?
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Biyobi wrote:I read the article and was wondering if the flashlights were that much more damaging than their nightsticks. Is it the weight?
I have a flahslight that holds six "D" cell batteries. I would take that ANY DAY over a nightstick. Not only does it weigh more, but I believe it's longer. Plus you have the ability to carry it on your shoulder, blind someone with it, then swing it around and clock them (bouncer trick).

What are nightsticks good for? Beatings and sodomy. Whoopie doo.

Also, I am looking forward to seeing the memo that was circulated to these officers. I bet it's fantastic reading.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

"Dearest officers,
Your allowed beatings have gone a little over the line. Please only beat suspects with nightsticks and fists from now on. Use your flashlights to savage suspects only in extreme cases.
Thank you, Chief of Police, LAPD."
-AttAdude
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

I've never read such utterly stomach-twisting, chilling shit as when I reviewed materials on the Rampart investigation. :(
GuidoTKP

Post by GuidoTKP »

Mr. Fed wrote:I've never read such utterly stomach-twisting, chilling shit as when I reviewed materials on the Rampart investigation. :(
In the end it was worth it though. Rampart was the inspiration for The Shield, and that show rocks ....
"All I can ever think of when I see BBT is, "that guy f***ed Angelina Jolie? Seriously?" Then I wonder if Angelina ever wakes up in the middle of the night to find Brad Pitt in the shower, huddled in a corner furiously scrubbing at his d*** and going, 'I can't get the smell of Billy Bob off of this thing.' Then I try to think of something, anything, else." --Brian

"Would you go up to a girl in a bar and say 'Pardon me, miss, but before I spend a lot of time chatting you up, and buying you drinks, I'd like to know if you do anal. Because if not, that's a deal-breaker for me.'"
-- Mr. Fed
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

Mr. Fed wrote:I've never read such utterly stomach-twisting, chilling shit as when I reviewed materials on the Rampart investigation. :(
I feel the same way.
My god, that is some frightening stuff.
The thing that stuck out the most for me was the man the officers handcuffed, forced to kneel, and then shot in the back of the head. It sounded like something out of Nazi Germany, even if that qualifies me for Goodwin's law.
-AttAdude
Eightball

Post by Eightball »

I also saw that "only in emergencies" quote. You really could call ANYTHING an emergency, so....in other words, LAPD is doing nothing to curb flashlight beatings...
Eduardo X wrote: The thing that stuck out the most for me was the man the officers handcuffed, forced to kneel, and then shot in the back of the head. It sounded like something out of Nazi Germany, even if that qualifies me for Goodwin's law.
You can unfortunately find a nation we supported that was doing similar things in recent times.

CSL

Post by CSL »

Eightball wrote:I also saw that "only in emergencies" quote. You really could call ANYTHING an emergency, so....in other words, LAPD is doing nothing to curb flashlight beatings...
Eduardo X wrote: The thing that stuck out the most for me was the man the officers handcuffed, forced to kneel, and then shot in the back of the head. It sounded like something out of Nazi Germany, even if that qualifies me for Goodwin's law.
You can unfortunately find a nation we supported that was doing similar things in recent times.

Much more recently, continuing today America is still allied to Saudi Arabia who still decapitate criminals, cut off hands for theft and give lashes to men who drink alcohol. Too bad an eye for an eye is still in fashion some places, even worse that we would call them allies.

Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

I think the worst of the materials I reviewed on Rampart was a cooperator description of a suicide. A team of the Rampart guys got a call of a guy who was threatening to shoot himself in his house. The team got there, talked to him a bit through the screen door, determined that they knew him and disliked him from the neighborhood, and then proceeded to taunt him and egg him on until he shot himself.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Remind me again why Abu Graib was a surprise?
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

noxiousdog wrote:Remind me again why Abu Graib was a surprise?
Well, the only thing surprising to me about it was that it made the news.

But this thread got all serious! All horrible things aside, isn't that article read like something out of the Onion?