Furniture delivery tipping?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Fitzy

Furniture delivery tipping?

Post by Fitzy »

We are having a freezer delivered tomorrow. Should we tip the delivery people?
Pointer

Post by Pointer »

That's a negative ghostrider.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

I vote no, but then I'm cheap.

How come most everyone tips the pizza delivery guy, but most likely very few of us would tip the furniture delivery guy?

Which one takes more effort to deliver? :P
lokiju

Post by lokiju »

Exodor wrote:I vote no, but then I'm cheap.

How come most everyone tips the pizza delivery guy, but most likely very few of us would tip the furniture delivery guy?

Which one takes more effort to deliver? :P
One can spit in your food. Tip him well. :wink:
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.
Kratz

Post by Kratz »

I tip the furniture guys. I have a few fives and I give one to each of them... usually three guys.
Zero

Post by Zero »

Regular size freezers usually is one guy....I've given them a ten before. I usually wait until the very end to tip....I like them to do a good service, before I give them anything :)
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

Exodor wrote:IHow come most everyone tips the pizza delivery guy, but most likely very few of us would tip the furniture delivery guy?
Probably because Pizza Hut doesn't charge you $50 to deliver a pizza.
EasilySatisfied

Post by EasilySatisfied »

I am having a fridge delivered tomorrow so I should tip you think? Never heard of such a practice...
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Maybe I should have done a poll :)

I'll probably tip, mostly because I'm going to ask them to take it into the basement and that's a little extra work. If they won't take it down, then I probably won't do it.

I wouldn't have even asked, but I ran across it by accident on the internet, we've never tipped for furniture delivery before. First time for everything I guess.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I usually offer them a drink, but that's it. Don't blame me because you didn't go to college.
Coskesh

Post by Coskesh »

I usually tip $10 a person. If there are stairs involved, I'd definitly tip if I was you.
lokiju

Post by lokiju »

I am pretty cheap and even I tip the poor guys...as long as they are respectful. Usually $10 a person.
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.
Odin

Post by Odin »

Having furniture delivered is expensive enough. They're doing their job. I don't tip.

Sith
dedewhale

Post by dedewhale »

I believe a tip is required for movers. though you are paying a lot of money for the furniture...it is not going to the movers themselves, often contractors. I think depending on the diffulty of the move the more you show tip. Start at $10 as a minimum. but dont go crazy.

I saw an article somewhere that americans are now over tipping. Somewhere on this internet there is a tipping guide that can help you (not sure where it is anymore)
RookieCAF

Post by RookieCAF »

Boudreaux wrote: Probably because Pizza Hut doesn't charge you $50 to deliver a pizza.
DING DING DING! We Have A Winner!
~Rookie
My BF2 Stats
Austin

Post by Austin »

McNutt wrote:I usually offer them a drink, but that's it. Don't blame me because you didn't go to college.
They're probably IT people or Phd's.
Odin

Post by Odin »

dedewhale wrote:I blieve a tip is required for movers. though you are paying a lot of money for the furniture...it is not going to the movers themselver, often contractors.
Around here it costs upwards of $50 to have furniture delivered to your house, in addition to the actual cost of the furniture. That's plenty, in my mind. If the delivery men are getting paid fpod-service wages based on an expectation of tips, that's news to me. If they just want more money for doing their job, well, who doesn't? Not my responsibility to give it to them, though.

The only time I tipped movers was when they finally agreed to take off their steel-toed boots to put a large desk upstairs for me. It was winter and keeping the boots on would have meant all but destroying 200' or more of wall-to-wall carpeting. So I basically bribed them to risk their toes for the sake of my rugs. Then I called their boss and chewed him out for not providing proper equipment (boot-covers, drop-cloths, or a second pair of clean, dry boots - SOMETHING) so that they could deliver furniture in inclement weather. Ended up getting my $50 in tips back in merchandise credit.

Sorry if I sound cheap. Actually, strike that - I'm not sorry. I believe in paying a fair price for things, but not a penny more than that. I'll give you a reverse example. I personally think that $15 total is a fair price for a simple men's haircut around here. I went to a barber shop that charged $12, and I paid $15 (the difference being the tip). When I switched to a different barber shop that only charged $10, I still paid $15. When that shop eventually raised their price to $12, I STILL paid $15. Sometime in the next few years I'll adjust my pricing upwards to account for inflation, and if that happens before they raise their rates again, then they'll get some bonus tipping in the interim.

Sith
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I would tip if delivery was "free". If you paid a fee, nope.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

I tip if they do a good job (are careful with my furniture and walls, etc), have a difficult delivery (up/down flights of stairs, etc), or otherwise give good service (take away trash or old furniture, set things up right where I want them, etc). I live on the 3rd floor with no elevator, so my default is to tip. But if they bang up my walls or furniture, etc. or do nothing more than throw the stuff in my front door, then the tip will be minimal or nonexistent.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

I ended up tipping $10 each. They took the freezer downstairs for us and they drove 2 hours to get here. Of course we weren't the only delivery in town, but what the hell it's only $20.

Thanks for the tips even if you are split down the middle ;)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I usually tip anywhere from $5 to $10+ a person,depending on their attitudes and my pocketbook.
Unless I already paid $40-$50 to have it delivered.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I guess I am really cheap. I have never had furniture delivered so the concept of tipping for it never even comes up. Furniture generally means borrow a truck and body.