2024 Fundraising - $1102 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Abstinence programs screwing with students?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

CSL

Abstinence programs screwing with students?

Post by CSL »

Apparently a congressional staff inquiry has found a number of distrurbing facts about at least some of the federal abstinence programs. For example....
Young Americans participating in federally funded abstinence-only programs have been taught that abortion can lead to sterility and suicide, that half of gay male teens are HIV-positive, and that touching a person?s genitals ?can result in pregnancy,? a congressional staff analysis found, according to the (registration-restricted) Washington Post.
The full congressional article is located here....WTF

http://www.bluelemur.com/index.php?p=465
The Emperor

Eureka!

Post by The Emperor »

I knew it! I just knew that touching the genitalia of that really cute girl in the next flat over lead to my getting a C on my Paradise Lost/Dryden Aeneid comparison paper!

Sex leads to everything going out of whack! Save me Jebus, save me!
Or maybe it was the beer I drank that lead to the genitalia touching and the C... :?

Gotta take the good with the bad, I guess.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

Pages burn.
Dreams linger while a
poet dies.
The Emperor

Post by The Emperor »

On a more serious note.

Wow.

Science is really getting kicked in the nuts over these programs.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

Pages burn.
Dreams linger while a
poet dies.
Samurai

Post by Samurai »

Wow, makes you wonder how much those federally funded anti drug programs lie as well? :roll:

WEED WILL KILL ME!!!
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Samurai wrote:Wow, makes you wonder how much those federally funded anti drug programs lie as well? :roll:

WEED WILL KILL ME!!!
The Evil Dead

Post by The Evil Dead »

:shock:

The administration seriously scares me some (most?) of the time. Passing religious and moral code as fact? Reiniforcing stereotypes as fact? Something is afoot. I never agreed with abstinince education anyhow. Isn't there a better place to spend that $100+ million dollars?
Listen to the Eels
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

I don't know, I kind of like some of this stuff. Can we get an opinion from some of our resident ladies?
Several curricula teach that girls care less about achievement and their futures than do boys. One curriculum instructs: “Women gauge their happiness and judge their success by their relationships. Men’s happiness and success hinge on their
accomplishments.” This curriculum also teaches:
"Men tend to be more tuned in to what is happening today and what needs
to be done for a secure future. When women began to enter the work force at an equal pace with men, companies noticed that women were not
as concerned about preparing for retirement. This stems from the priority
men and women place on the past, present, and future."
"Just as a woman needs to feel a man’s devotion to her, a man has a
primary need to feel a woman’s admiration. To admire a man is to regard
him with wonder, delight, and approval. A man feels admired when his
unique characteristics and talents happily amaze her."
In a discussion of wedding traditions, one curriculum writes: “Tell the class thatthe Bride price is actually an honor to the bride. It says she is valuable to thegroom and he is willing to give something valuable for her.”

The curriculum also teaches: “The father gives the bride to the groom because he is the one man who has had the responsibility of protecting her throughout her life. He is now giving his daughter to the only other man who will take over this protective role.”
One book in the “Choosing the Best” series presents a story about a knight who saves a princess from a dragon. The next time the dragon arrives, the princess advises the knight to kill the dragon with a noose, and the following time with poison, both of which work but leave the knight feeling “ashamed.” The knight eventually decides to marry a village maiden, but did so “only after making sure
she knew nothing about nooses or poison.” The curriculum concludes: "Moral of the story: Occasional suggestions and assistance may be alright [sic -- Mr. Fed], but too much of it will lessen a man’s confidence or even turn him away from his princess."

Hey Meal, Mr. Slambie! That's the perfect bedtime story to read to your girls! :wink:
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

Evidently I was enrolled in a high school abstinence program without my knowing it. :(
Al

My program would be "Abstinence through D&D"

Post by Al »

Same here bluefuge. Maybe we should apply for a SPRANS grant?
WAW

Post by WAW »

Do abstinence programs say anything about hiding hardons then the bell rings and you have go to the next class. This was a big problem for me in high school. Damm Karen Kimballs golden hair. :twisted:
You want to know how I did it? This is how I did it, Anton. I never saved anything for the swim back!
WW
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

WAW wrote:Do abstinence programs say anything about hiding hardons then the bell rings and you have go to the next class. This was a big problem for me in high school. Damm Karen Kimballs golden hair. :twisted:
Quick slide of the hand in the pants before standing up (or after standing up and turning away from anyone who may see/covering the motion with back-pack) and tuck it up under the waist band area. :wink:
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Unfortunately they haven't changed the web cover yet (come back later) as it grabbed my attention in this week's BeeDub, but this would seem a timely article. I haven't read it yet (reading the Dub is a Saturday morning tradition for me), but it appears appropo.

~Neal
Guy Incognito

Post by Guy Incognito »

+1 for the thread title, CSL. Morning laugh achieved :)
CSL

Post by CSL »

Guy Incognito wrote:+1 for the thread title, CSL. Morning laugh achieved :)
Finally someone got it. 8)
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

CSL wrote:
Guy Incognito wrote:+1 for the thread title, CSL. Morning laugh achieved :)
Finally someone got it. 8)
No, finally someone cared enough to point out they got it.

~Neal
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

Kelric wrote:
WAW wrote:Do abstinence programs say anything about hiding hardons then the bell rings and you have go to the next class. This was a big problem for me in high school. Damm Karen Kimballs golden hair. :twisted:
Quick slide of the hand in the pants before standing up (or after standing up and turning away from anyone who may see/covering the motion with back-pack) and tuck it up under the waist band area. :wink:
Or you can just buy some pants with deep pockets you tights-wearing homo!
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

SuperHiro wrote:
Kelric wrote:
What does deep pockets have to do with it? <lost>
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

Kelric wrote:
SuperHiro wrote:
Kelric wrote:
What does deep pockets have to do with it? <lost>
With deep pockets you'll have the dexterity to adjust the package without sticking your hands in the pants.