Question for Anime Junkies

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

godzy

Question for Anime Junkies

Post by godzy »

If you picked up an Anime in Japan, would it be written in kana only? Or do they use Kanji too?
Where would you get untranslated material like that anyway?

(Comedy Option Cat Ass :idea: :idea: :idea: )
CSL

Post by CSL »

*CSL points at Chris Grenard then realizes he doesn't post anymore.

Crap

*CSL points at the other guy
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

CSL wrote:*CSL points at Chris Grenard then realizes he doesn't post anymore.

Crap

*CSL points at the other guy
Bugger.

I bet Chris would've known the Kanji for flying demon tentacle penis, too.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
yossar

Post by yossar »

Would what be written in kana? The word anime would be (if it shows up on there). The title may or may not be (most likely some kanji). If it's for small children, most of the kanji will have the reading next to it.
Anonymous Bosch wrote: I bet Chris would've known the Kanji for flying demon tentacle penis, too.
飛魔触手陽物

Ok, probably not.
godzy

Post by godzy »

So if I get Hello Kitty anime I can use the Kana to learn the Kanji they're using? (God help me)

For clarity: I want to practice reading Japanese but don't know enough Kanji yet.
yossar

Post by yossar »

Are you talking about movies or books? Anime generally just refers to movies and the comics are manga. Manga geared towards young children could help you with reading Japanese since sometimes it has the kana readings for kanji. But the grammar and vocabulary might be a bit simplistic.
Thunderspark

Post by Thunderspark »

Everything that Yossar said.

Also, you should make a concentrated effort to look at the kanji while you read the kana. Otherwise, you might find yourself just reading the kana and not learning any kanji.
godzy

Post by godzy »

Thanks much...does anyone know some entertaining magna that might have the kana?
Thunderspark

Post by Thunderspark »

My favorite is 'Detective Conan' or 'Meitantei Conan'. It's aimed at children and has a lot of easy words, etc. But when he solves the cases, it uses some harder words so it has a variety. Most of the stuff you'll find here in the US in some form(either as a TV show or books) will probably have both.