WoW - worst death

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

The Mad Hatter

WoW - worst death

Post by The Mad Hatter »

For me, it'd be falling off the Stonewrought Dam in Loch Modan. Instant death, inacessible body and to top it off the point at which I fell is considered part of the Wetlands zone. I had to walk all the way back from the Wetlands graveyard to Thelsamar - at which point I discovered that ghosts respawn in the zone where they died regardless of where they resurrect. So I had to walk all the way back through the Wetlands again, this time in the flesh through mobs 4 or 5 levels above me. All because I fell off the stupid dam.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
- George Orwell
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

My most embarassing recent death was when I learned a lesson about etiquette and drawing aggro.

I was taking down Defias looters and pillagers west of Sentinel Hill with my then-level-14 Rogue. I was drawing them out by hitting them with my gun and then making short work with my new deplete armor skill. Unfortunately, as I learned, I wasn't entirely clear on how aggro works.

A night elf hunter of level 16 or so was soloing some of these guys as well. At one point he was fighting two at once when I decided to shoot a third to draw the third to me. What I didn't get is that when you aggro a beastie, he may veer to the nearest fight rather than to you:

Third baddie

.................................................................Night elf
.................................................................two other baddies

Me

So I shoot the third baddie, and rather than coming to me as intended he veers over to the night elf. The night elf, who was handling a two on one fight, couldn't handle a three on one fight and promptly died. Seeing what I had done, I rushed over to help out and give the night elf some breathing room, getting there just in time to see the night elf bite it, leaving three Defias looters to kick my sorry ass.

It was mighty embarassing showing up next to that night elf in the graveyard.
Toe

Post by Toe »

I guess the most embarrassing would be the time i drowned because I was not paying attention to my breath meter. Sometimes I just assume that since I broke the surface my breath bar is instantly full again, but thats not the way it works, it has to "recharge". Even though it recharges very quickly, if you just break the surface and dive (like you would in most FPS games if you were swimming), its not going to fully recharge it.
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

Falling off of the goblin zeppelin between the Undercity and Orgrimmar while showing a new player how great the game was. Look at this! You'll love the blimp! Watch the scenery!

Unfortunately lag was at a peak and the blimp ejected us (and a few others) at the line between continents. We swam ashore directly into a camp of murlocs.

They weren't happy to see us.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I was one of the dumbass skeletons you see when you walk around Thunder Bluff and ask yourself "How does somebody manage to fall off of Thunder Bluff?"

Don't ask.
gellar

Post by gellar »

Somewhere on the border between NightElfLand and Hordeland (I'm not good with in game names), Orpheo, Jason, and I were doing some exploring. We came to the top of a pretty awesome cliff and noticed there was a pool under it. We all decided it'd be pretty fun if we jumped into the pool.

I did not jump far enough.

gellar
OMGHI2U
"I guess we're all retarded except you Gellar." - Kobra
"I'm already doomed to the seventh level of hell. If you think I wouldn't kill a person of my choosing for $50 mil, you obviously have no clue just how expensive my taste in shoes really is." - setaside
#gonegold brutesquad
Koz

Post by Koz »

I jumped into the Great Forge in Ironforge once. In case you're wondering what happens: you die.

Although it does take a while. Apparently liquid metal isn't hot enough to kill instantly.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Wailing Caves in the Barrens. Finally got two other folks to head into this elite instanced cave. Fought our way through a horde of elite raptors and sludge monsters. Got to the portal to take us on our way to the final bosses of the quests we were all trying to complete. 3 raptors came running up the path toward us as we drew closer, I shifted my lvl 21 Tauren druid to bear form and charged....only to promptly fall into a pit. While trying to leave said pit, I found the only way out lead into the lake at the bottom of the cave...filled with more elite beasties.

I died.

I returned to find my companions resting amidst the bodies of the slain enemies. I gladly rejoined them and we proceeded onward again. some elite sludge monsters came charging up the path this time. I shifted to bear form, let loose a demoralizing roar, and charged...only to fall into the same goddamn pit again. After a couple of minutes I looked over and saw the Orc warrior from my group twisting around, trying to locate a way out. I showed him the only way out, and we saw it was covered by elite mobs...at least 6. Way too many for us. Our other companion, in the meantime, simply logged out. We decided to see if someone else would come along or they'd thin on their own. After about 5 minutes, the orc warrior began telling off color jokes that we're just awful to the point of being painful. He also kept telling me he'd made them up and that "some guys at school told me they'd heard 'em before, so i punched them."

I sat through one more joke that concerned a box and George Bush that I didn't understand, told him it was very funny, then stood up and walked into the wall of mobs standing outside the pit entrance.

When I "ghosted" back at the soul shrine, I gladly chose to res right there on the spot and suffer the ensuing penalties.
He won. Period.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Tareeq wrote:Falling off of the goblin zeppelin between the Undercity and Orgrimmar while showing a new player how great the game was. Look at this! You'll love the blimp! Watch the scenery!

Unfortunately lag was at a peak and the blimp ejected us (and a few others) at the line between continents. We swam ashore directly into a camp of murlocs.

Ugh. Don't remind me. ;)
Terrified

Re: WoW - worst death

Post by Terrified »

With a horde group, attacking an alliance village in an attempt to steal the town registry for a quest. While we were standing at the door readying our battle plan (one of our team had warned us there was a huge fight inside) another character runs in the door and looks around. Now, in my mind I'm thinking "Hey, he didn't aggro anyone... that must mean the room is empty! And if the room is empty, that guy is going to loot the town registry before we can get it!" So I jump into the room, trying to beat the looter before he can beat us to the registry.

And realize I'm in the midst of 5-6 high level mobs. And realize that the 'guy' who ran in the door is alliance... which is why he didn't aggro alliance mobs. And I go down in a hail of magic before I can even turn around and run back out the door...

I smacked my forehead on my desk a few times for that one.
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

When we were assaulting Ragefire Chasm one party member 'accidentaly' walked into the lava. Our priest went to rez him, and then fell in too. :oops:
kind of like a cloud I was up way up in the sky and I was feeling some feelings that I couldn't believe; sometimes I don't believe them myself but I decided I was never coming down
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

I fell off the edge of the enormous tree the night elves live on. There doesn't appear to be ground beneath it, but there are branches sticking out. I smacked into a branch and died. So there was no way for me to get to my body other than jumping and no way to get out of there alive. That wasn't fun.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Was in the Undercity, waiting for the elevator to take me down. I'm typing something, when the elevator arrives. I finish what I'm saying, and run for the door, hoping to make it before it closes. I get into the doorway just as it's closing, and it closes on top of me, holds me there for a second, and then pops me through into the elevator shaft. Problem was, by the time I got through, the elevator was ten feet below me, and we were both moving at the same speed. I landed as a corpse.

I got pwned by an elevator. :(
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
knob

Post by knob »

1) This one was a bug: I was having a weird disconnect issue and was booted 3 times. The third time, I logged back in and I was in a completely different zone. I was a level 12 happily killing Troggs in Loch Modan, but after being booted, I was a level 12 happily being killed by troggs in Uldaman. That sucked. (A little bitch: After dying, I was ported to Badlands. I petitioned a GM and he refused to help me, ugh).

2) The countless times I've tried to jump on top of the lifts to tauren towns (Thunderbuff, Freewind Post, The Great Lift). I miss 90% of the time, but that doesn't stop me from trying.

3) Back in Alpha/Early beta, when you were on a lift of some sort (Say the elevator for the Undercity), jumping would cause you to stay about where you were when you jumped, while the lift continued to go down. So if you jumped while the lift was going down, you'd end up falling a very long distance.
If I had a sig, would you read it?
fancydirt

Post by fancydirt »

My worst death was in beta. There were actually two of them. One was in the Drywhisker Gorge mine in Arathi and the other was in the cave behind the refuge up north in Un'Goro. At the time, there were issues with where they sent your spirit when you died in those places so that your corpse run ended up covering over two entire zones. Not fun. The one from Drywhisker was the worst since it sent you to the Hinterlands, which was a zone that I had never been to before so I did a LOT of running around trying to find my way out (I didn't even know it connected to Hillsbrad at the time).
fancydirt

Post by fancydirt »

Valael wrote:3) Back in Alpha/Early beta, when you were on a lift of some sort (Say the elevator for the Undercity), jumping would cause you to stay about where you were when you jumped, while the lift continued to go down. So if you jumped while the lift was going down, you'd end up falling a very long distance.
Near the end of beta, one of the two lifts that was added to Freewind Post had a glitch where there was a gap that you couldn't see that would cause you to fall to your death if you tried to get off it once it got to the top. We quickly learned not to ride the lift with the pile of bones at the base of it. :)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I was playing with the Warlock floating eye spell on a Zeplin ride. It's tricky because sometimes it falls off when you cast, sometimes it manages to stay on and you can fly it around (incidentally, sometimes when it falls it dies on impact, sometimes it doesn't). Anyway, I managed to get it on the zeplin and was running it around. I assume it is visible to other characters because this Tauren on the Zep was chasing it around. Made kind of a game out of it until he ran off the side. I ran the eye off to follow him down and watched him hit the sand and die. Then the eye hit and it died. Fine, and I lmao. Except I was still pressing the forward movement key when I re-entered my bocy and I ran right off the zeplin too, splatting about 100 feet past the Tauren and my eye. It was like Shoemaker-Levy hitting Jupiter. Splat-splat...splat.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Hetz

Re: WoW - worst death

Post by Hetz »

The Mad Hatter wrote:For me, it'd be falling off the Stonewrought Dam in Loch Modan. Instant death, inacessible body and to top it off the point at which I fell is considered part of the Wetlands zone. I had to walk all the way back from the Wetlands graveyard to Thelsamar - at which point I discovered that ghosts respawn in the zone where they died regardless of where they resurrect. So I had to walk all the way back through the Wetlands again, this time in the flesh through mobs 4 or 5 levels above me. All because I fell off the stupid dam.
I did the exact same thing... :oops:
Beergut

Post by Beergut »

My level 16 paladin had finally saved up enough money to buy a cool new weapon. Went to Stormwind, expecting to buy a two-handed mace to replace the weaker one I'd been using. But when I got to the weapon shop I noticed this cool two-handed sword that had the same DPS, but just looked .... cooler. Not having the two-handed sword skill (can you see where this is heading?), I purchased the ability from the weapons trainer there and then bought my cool new weapon.

A quick trip back to Westfall and I'm ready to show the creatures there what a properly armed Paladin can do! I pick out the baddest-ass monster in the area and go toe-to-toe with him ....

and promptly find myself being beaten to a pulp!
"Why are most of my swings missing?"
"Why aren't I doing more damage?"
"What is this message 'Your skill in two-handed swords has risen to 2'?"

Very embarassing... :oops:
Meghan

Post by Meghan »

Stopping to read my map at the Stonefield farm near the kolbold miners. There was lots of combat going on just over the hill, and I didn't notice that a miner had spawned just around the corner from me and that new set of combat noises was him beating on my cheerfully oblivous form.

Lesson learned: the game doesn't pause when you open the map screen.
If I ventured in the slipstream / between the viaducts of your dream

aka merneith, aka kylhwch
KiloOhm

Post by KiloOhm »

Tareeq wrote:Falling off of the goblin zeppelin between the Undercity and Orgrimmar while showing a new player how great the game was. Look at this! You'll love the blimp! Watch the scenery!

Ha! Priceless! :)
Grinfin

Post by Grinfin »

I was in an underpowered group doing Black Fathom Deep. After a few party wipes we were in the final temple lighting candles. Things went badly once again, but as I was a paladin with rezzing ability I was told to save my hide. No problem. If it's one thing I'm good at, it's running away.

As I'm nearing the temple exit I decide to drink a swiftness potion to show my party just how good I am at running away. The sudden burst of speed as I turn right at the doorway out causes me to go wide, and instead of continuing on down the pier to safety I find myself flying out into the water, where I am promptly eaten by the Loch Ness monster. We never did finish the final monster.