WoW's dirty little secret

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Lorini

WoW's dirty little secret

Post by Lorini »

You can't flippin' log in during evening rush hours lately. Yet again for the past 3-4 days, I can't log in between 4:30 and around 6ish. I'm really getting tired of it because these are prime hours for me to play. Today, they took the login servers down completely so nobody can login. I don't understand why these problems keep plaguing the game. Do they not want to buy more servers or what??

Torqued right now :evil:

Lorini
Black Lives Matter
Ranulf

Post by Ranulf »

Try playing on a crowded server (Stormrage) that is east coast while I'm west coast (most of my guildmates are east coast). A good day is 175ms ping. Ironforge is not a fun place to visit. That said, the server pop drops off earlier for me at night. Only PVP servers seem to be tolerable these days.
knob

Post by knob »

Well, I've never had any problems between Whisperwind (Medium / High population PvE server) and Darkspear (Low population PVP server).

I laugh at my brothers every time they lag or get a Queue on Stormreaver (High population PVP).
If I had a sig, would you read it?
Hetz

Post by Hetz »

Valael wrote:Well, I've never had any problems between Whisperwind (Medium / High population PvE server) and Darkspear (Low population PVP server).

I laugh at my brothers every time they lag or get a Queue on Stormreaver (High population PVP).
I have problems at night on Whisperwind with lag in areas like Ironforge all the time.

It's not so bad in most other zones, but Ironforge can be hell sometimes.
The Mad Hatter

Post by The Mad Hatter »

Hetz wrote:
Valael wrote:Well, I've never had any problems between Whisperwind (Medium / High population PvE server) and Darkspear (Low population PVP server).

I have problems at night on Whisperwind with lag in areas like Ironforge all the time.

Especially with idiots who think it's funny to stand in the braziers by the auctioneers. I hope they remove those.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
- George Orwell
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

12:40p PST can't login. Ack!
kind of like a cloud I was up way up in the sky and I was feeling some feelings that I couldn't believe; sometimes I don't believe them myself but I decided I was never coming down
Jeff Jones

Post by Jeff Jones »

Demosthenes wrote:12:40p PST can't login. Ack!
ditto. bummer!
Ranulf

Post by Ranulf »

The Mad Hatter wrote:
Hetz wrote:

Especially with idiots who think it's funny to stand in the braziers by the auctioneers. I hope they remove those.
Definately. Just toss up torches on the walls and get rid of the braziers. I love that one can get hurt by standing in a fire but in a small room with dozens of folks it does not make sense. It also doesn't help with all the folks hanging out in the bank area and Grandfather Winter either.
Reed

Post by Reed »

The Mad Hatter wrote:Especially with idiots who think it's funny to stand in the braziers by the auctioneers. I hope they remove those.
Ugh, me too. So damned annoying.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

I had awful lag problems on Whisperwind last night, including my first "loot lag" incident since release week.

It's gotten so bad I don't even try to go to IF in the evenings - fortunately, most of my playtime is early morning, which is the perfect time to browse the AH and create my auctions for the day. :P
morlac

Post by morlac »

I have had a ton of problems since the last patch. Besides the large amount of sever/down login issues. Loot lag is alive and well on both servers I play on (med. pop.). I've also had about 10 CTD and 2 game freezes in the last week.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

morlac wrote:I have had a ton of problems since the last patch. Besides the large amount of sever/down login issues. Loot lag is alive and well on both servers I play on (med. pop.). I've also had about 10 CTD and 2 game freezes in the last week.

I had a game freeze last night - my gnome alt froze right in the middle of a fight. When I killed WoW and rebooted Norton came up as "not-responding", so I just assumed that was the cause.

Perhaps that's an entirely separate issue, and my crash was Blizzard's fault. :x
Koz

Post by Koz »

Exodor wrote:I had awful lag problems on Whisperwind last night, including my first "loot lag" incident since release week.

It's gotten so bad I don't even try to go to IF in the evenings - fortunately, most of my playtime is early morning, which is the perfect time to browse the AH and create my auctions for the day. :P
I stay away from Ironforge as much as possible. The less populated areas aren't too bad, but as soon as I step into the bank/AH area, it turns into a frickin slideshow. Can't wait till they put AHs in each city... I doubt it'll help the AH lag but it will certainly help the general lag in IF.
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

On the WoW forums someone suggested making all Auction Houses into separate areas, the way the Stormwind-to-Ironforge tram is. That could help the situation. The AH itself would probably still be laggy, but it would save the surrounding city.
ericb

Post by ericb »

I'm in the same boat...I believe I'm currently on Feathermoon (RP) because I'm still having lag and crashing problems on Whisperwind. Doesn't matter now since I'll be staying on the new server a while but it sucks because so many people from OO and CG are on Whisperwind.

And I thought most of the servers were in Florida? I know I've read a number of posts that claimed some of the west coast servers were in Florida as well as the Mountain and others.

It's not too bad though...some of the original servers still have queues. Even as late as last night. I'm sorry but if there are queues then the server needs to be capped.
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

I was getting full system reboots with nvidia 66.88 drivers, I updated to 66.93 and its hasn't happened since FWIW. GFFX5950
kind of like a cloud I was up way up in the sky and I was feeling some feelings that I couldn't believe; sometimes I don't believe them myself but I decided I was never coming down
knob

Post by knob »

Mr. Fed wrote:On the WoW forums someone suggested making all Auction Houses into separate areas, the way the Stormwind-to-Ironforge tram is. That could help the situation. The AH itself would probably still be laggy, but it would save the surrounding city.

I actually like that idea. I'm kind of ignorant as to the way WoW works, but when WoW was in beta, the auction houses were in all of the major cities, but they were all seperate. So the stuff for sale in UC was different than the stuff for sale in Orgrimmar. But if they put it all in one zone, they'd be able to connect all of the cities.

But I guess you have to worry about people using it as a way to teleport across the world.
If I had a sig, would you read it?
morlac

Post by morlac »

Demosthenes wrote:I was getting full system reboots with nvidia 66.88 drivers, I updated to 66.93 and its hasn't happened since FWIW. GFFX5950
I'm using those as well. The CTD seem to happen when im messing with my inventory. A couple times by shift b to open all backpacks at once. The game freezes are totally random it seems. They are getting annoying, I had two more yesterday and gave up after the second.
qp

Post by qp »

edit: futzing with the router helped the downloads a bit..actually a lot...now I just have to see if I can reserve an address (like in windows DHCP) for my laptop for port forwarding...

edit edit: ugh was up to a brisk 130kb/s, and now bouncing between 0 and 2kb....I think there should be some sort of bottom for this bandwidth, and if there aren't enough clients around to share with then Blizzard should boost this...ah well how often are these patches? I guess on patch day this P2P stuff will be awesome right?
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Yet again, it's 6:50 PST and I can't login and they have yet another "Login issues" message. I care less about the communication issues vs the competency issues of keeping the login servers working. I don't understand why they keep having these problems. I've had a long today today and was really looking forward to developing my character tonight. Now I have to go and watch the Lakers lose to the Mavericks :x

Lorini
Black Lives Matter
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Hmmm - I guess I'm lucky. This is my second night on and a second night with no issues. Got on at 9pm EST and just getting off now