Hearts Of Iron 2 Demo

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

The Preacher
Forum Moderator

Hearts Of Iron 2 Demo

Post by The Preacher »

For those who are interested in the EU franchise, the HOI2 demo is out!

Given that I have never been able to get my head around an EU game, I'm looking forward to this (supposedly) streamlined version. I'm just not sure when I'm going to be able to play the demo with WoW occupying my time.

http://www.gamershell.com/news/19111.html

Someone take a crack and let us know!
You do not take from this universe. It grants you what it will.
CSL

Post by CSL »

WOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jow

Post by Jow »

When is the final game due out? Somewhat interested in this...
CSL

Post by CSL »

Jow wrote:When is the final game due out? Somewhat interested in this...
January 4th
Rhett

Post by Rhett »

Hows the demo look? Dont have time to try and play something else right now :)
MeSlayer

Post by MeSlayer »

Well I bit the bullet and downloaded it

The demo is only the battle of the bulge, so keep that in mind it isnt especially epic - It seems the many scenarios that come with the game will have a limited map, because this stretches only from paris to hannover.

I played it a bit before going to work today, 30 or so mins, and to be perfectly honest, I think I'd stick with HOI patched up with the newest core.

It didnt seem to add a damn thing that I would care about in the demo, and the 'zoomed in' limited manuverablity area of the map really turned me off to it

*shrug*

Oh well
(for the record, I thorughly enjoyed the hell out of HOI - if only those damn americans would cross an ocean every now and then I would be a happy man)
Hello this is a signature.
The Preacher
Forum Moderator

Post by The Preacher »

Does it simplify the game? That is my hope (although I won't have a chance to play for quite a while).

Since you're an HOI fan, you probably enjoy or have become accustomed to the difficulty level. I, otoh, would like to see the game streamlined a bit (there was too much micromgmt for a strategic level game, imo).
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The Preacher wrote:Does it simplify the game? That is my hope (although I won't have a chance to play for quite a while).

Since you're an HOI fan, you probably enjoy or have become accustomed to the difficulty level. I, otoh, would like to see the game streamlined a bit (there was too much micromgmt for a strategic level game, imo).
I think it's worth it for the improvement in the way it handles research alone. All in all, it is less of a struggle to play (I've had a late beta for a few months now - preview is up at The Wargamer if anyone is interested).
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I let you guys at the Wargamer talk me into HOI with your previews.My bad. Let's just say we don't agree on everything. I'll be waiting for a LOT of word of mouth on this one. :wink:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

dbt1949 wrote:I let you guys at the Wargamer talk me into HOI with your previews.My bad. Let's just say we don't agree on everything. I'll be waiting for a LOT of word of mouth on this one. :wink:
When we first saw HoI, we were all very impressed with the ambition and scope of the game. As with any preview, however, it must be taken on faith that problems will be corrected before release.

The HoI2 beta did not crash on me (unlike the HoI 1 beta). Mind you, I only had time to play a few games as a few countries. Any project this ambitious is almost impossible to properly balance with a managable beta-test team; there are just so many more things that will only become apparent when the masses pry into every nook and cranny. Paradox could address this by limiting the scope to something more managable, but the result would be a much more limited product. A lot of people wound up liking HoI a lot for what it was.

I mentioned before a comparison between EU/EU2 and HOI/HOI2. EU2 was pretty good out of the gate, although it too was tweaked for quite sometime. Still, it was far better out of the box than EU was at the end-of-support. I think HOI2 will be the same, it will be a good product on release but will probably be at its best a little down the road.
Brain

CK v HOI

Post by Brain »

Slightly off topic - but I just bought a discounted Crusader Kings and think it's much better than HOI (this 1st). Probably I prefer that era though. HOI2 will have to be significantly improved to make a sale with me.
Jeff V

Re: CK v HOI

Post by Jeff V »

CutLunch wrote: HOI2 will have to be significantly improved to make a sale with me.
It is.
hepcat

Re: CK v HOI

Post by hepcat »

CutLunch wrote:Slightly off topic - but I just bought a discounted Crusader Kings and think it's much better than HOI (this 1st). Probably I prefer that era though. HOI2 will have to be significantly improved to make a sale with me.
i've actually been looking for this in bargain bins. Where did you get it and how much was it, if you don't mind me asking?
Now depoliticized.
CSL

Post by CSL »

Its out TOMMOROW!!!! Calling EB after I get up to see if they have some copies. Expect some thoughts tommorow.
The Preacher
Forum Moderator

Post by The Preacher »

Excellent!

Jeff V., when do you expect to have a completed review?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The Preacher wrote:Excellent!

Jeff V., when do you expect to have a completed review?
Our reviewer (Aaron McKenna) stated he planned on having it done by around now, so it should be up pretty quickly. I'm still waiting on a final copy of the game to arrive so I can start work on a microsite they purchased. The 3 month-old beta I have is pretty solid, though.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Jeff V wrote:I'm still waiting on a final copy of the game to arrive so I can start work on a microsite they purchased.
Microsites at the Wargamer are purchased? Never realized that but there it is, at the top they do say who sponsors them. Interesting . . .
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Grifman wrote:
Jeff V wrote:I'm still waiting on a final copy of the game to arrive so I can start work on a microsite they purchased.
Microsites at the Wargamer are purchased? Never realized that but there it is, at the top they do say who sponsors them. Interesting . . .
Yes, it is partially how we survive. It is the only thing I am ever paid for (I'm the producer on them). They are a lot of work - there is no way they would be done for free - heck, I have enough time finding people to do commissioned articles on some of the microsites.
Benhur

Post by Benhur »

The Wargamer review is now up and very tasty. I am a proud Paradox fanboy, but theri release or Crusader Kings was just awful... Save game crashes and CTD's were commonplace. HOI 2 is still a day one purchase for me (should get it in the mail today) so here's hoping.

http://www.wargamer.com/reviews/heartsofiron2/