2024 Fundraising - $1001 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

YK in WoW? Wow!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Austin

YK in WoW? Wow!

Post by Austin »

I get back from vacation and find YK playing WoW. Isn't there some dramatic thread somewhere that describes the occurrence. Colour me disappointed.
Tareeq

Re: YK in WoW? Wow!

Post by Tareeq »

Austin wrote:Colour me disappointed.
What are you? Some kind of foreigner?
qp

Post by qp »

Yeah he is, for a couple of years yet anyways I think!

edit: Hey you should probably drop the extra u's before your next green card meeting EH?
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I don't have any idea what you're talking about.
Austin

Post by Austin »

YellowKing wrote:I don't have any idea what you're talking about.
That makes two of us, where are my pants?
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

What is 'YK'?
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Dirt wrote:What is 'YK'?
I think he meant "KY". Austin has a very intimate relationship with his WoW characters....
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

2/3rds of a zipper.

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Austin

Post by Austin »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:
I think he meant "KY". Austin has a very intimate relationship with his WoW characters....
Mmmmm.... Kentucky jelly.
CSL

Post by CSL »

Tareeq wrote:
What you talkin aboot Tareeq?
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

CSL wrote:
Tareeq wrote:
Another one!
CSL

Post by CSL »

Tareeq wrote:
CSL wrote:
Tareeq wrote:
Another one!
Really what you talkin aboot? You questioning my honour?
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Tareeq wrote:
CSL wrote:
Tareeq wrote:
Another one!
Maybe they're sitting side by each, provoking you?

~Neal
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

The Meal wrote:Maybe they're sitting side by each, provoking you?

~Neal
CharlieDelta

Post by CharlieDelta »

Tareeq wrote:
The Meal wrote:Maybe they're sitting side by each, provoking you?

~Neal
And therein lies the reson I will never willingly post my picture on these boards :P There's way too many photoshop-capable people who could use it for such nefarious purposes.
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

CharlieDelta wrote:And therein lies the reson I will never willingly post my picture on these boards :P There's way too many photoshop-capable people who could use it for such nefarious purposes.
Err... I don't think that's chopped. :?:
kind of like a cloud I was up way up in the sky and I was feeling some feelings that I couldn't believe; sometimes I don't believe them myself but I decided I was never coming down
Caine

Post by Caine »

who are those two? that's not rick moranis or dave arnold (i may be wrong about dave arnold. its been years since i saw that)
knob

Post by knob »

YellowKing wrote:I don't have any idea what you're talking about.

Yeah, don't let his EQ2 friends know he's cheating on them. They'd be very disappointed.
If I had a sig, would you read it?
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Caine wrote:who are those two? that's not rick moranis or dave arnold (i may be wrong about dave arnold. its been years since i saw that)
Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas (not the Wendy's Dave :P but the one that was on "Grace Under Fire") were supposed to be the McKenzie Brothers, but I don't think that's them in that pic
qp

Post by qp »

Looks like a plastic/painted model to me - wonder if it's some collectors item?
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

qp wrote:Looks like a plastic/painted model to me - wonder if it's some collectors item?
Now that you mention it, I think you're right. Sorry for not noticing that before - I thought it was just a bad pic :)

EDIT: Yup, looking at the URL for the pic is pointing to it being a model:

http://www.spawn.com/toys/movies/mckenz ... _01_lg.jpg
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

That is indeed the McFarlane toy of the McKenzie brothers. I actually bought that set at a KB Toys a few years ago. Man I wish they would make a sequal to that movie.
FTE
Austin

Post by Austin »

That reminds me... SCTV came out on DVD last year didn't it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

hoser
knob

Post by knob »

Way to hijack the thread, assholes.
If I had a sig, would you read it?
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

Valael wrote:Way to hijack the thread, assholes.
Why so tense, guy?
Over here.
warning

Post by warning »

Take off.
Jag

Post by Jag »

warning wrote:
Take off.
... to the Great White North.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Yes, truly the subject of which MMORPGs Yellowking is currently involved with is of utmost importance and should be held to the same standards and announcements from the site administrators.

~Neal
Jag

Post by Jag »

The Meal wrote:
Yes, truly the subject of which MMORPGs Yellowking is currently involved with is of utmost importance and should be held to the same standards and announcements from the site administrators.

~Neal
There are standards for announcements for site administrators?!!??
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Jag wrote:There are standards for announcements for site administrators?!!??
Well there are standards for announcement threads from site admins. :) But no, they'll pretty much let anyone masochistic enough to actually want one of those positions do their thing.

~Neal
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Oh it's very important when the person in question really wants to watch YK squirm for enjoying a MMORPG he has ranted about in the past. Shrug. I changed my mind, life goes on. :D
tals

Post by tals »

So the question is - are you now enjoying it more than EQ2, any particular aspects you prefer etc etc. I'm giving EQ2 a break - I enjoy it but not sure if I want to play it anymore. The lack of pvp built into the game is a big part of my decision to give WOW a better try.

Tals
DiscoJason

Post by DiscoJason »

Just to chime in on this subject since YK and I were probably the biggest fans of EQ2 on this board. I still enjoy EQ2 way more than WoW. Also, I convinced a friend of mine who bought WoW and played his character up a good deal to try out EQ2 and he did and likes it way more than WoW. It's all different strokes for different folks. He enjoys the depth that EQ2 has over WoW as do I. I still say WoW is a better game than EQ2, but EQ2 is a better MMORPG. It's all what you expect out of an MMORPG.

Also, I still don't get why reviewers give WoW a much higher score than EQ2 when the games are so similar. Sure, WoW is much more approachable to the commor gamer, but that still doesn't explain the difference in scores. All the reviews I have read knock EQ2 for no innvotion, but fail to mention why WoW is so innovative. The reason for this is that the games are fairly identical in how they play (with some minor plusses andminuses for both games that separate them from each other). I have yet to read a WoW review that explains why they think the game is so wonderful. They just gush on about it for the same reaosns they detract from EQ2 in their EQ2 reviews.

Again, both great games. Both deserve similar scores. I enjoy EQ2 more. Carry on. :)
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

DiscoJason wrote:Just to chime in on this subject since YK and I were probably the biggest fans of EQ2 on this board. I still enjoy EQ2 way more than WoW. Also, I convinced a friend of mine who bought WoW and played his character up a good deal to try out EQ2 and he did and likes it way more than WoW. It's all different strokes for different folks. He enjoys the depth that EQ2 has over WoW as do I. I still say WoW is a better game than EQ2, but EQ2 is a better MMORPG. It's all what you expect out of an MMORPG.

Also, I still don't get why reviewers give WoW a much higher score than EQ2 when the games are so similar. Sure, WoW is much more approachable to the commor gamer, but that still doesn't explain the difference in scores. All the reviews I have read knock EQ2 for no innvotion, but fail to mention why WoW is so innovative. The reason for this is that the games are fairly identical in how they play (with some minor plusses andminuses for both games that separate them from each other). I have yet to read a WoW review that explains why they think the game is so wonderful. They just gush on about it for the same reaosns they detract from EQ2 in their EQ2 reviews.

Again, both great games. Both deserve similar scores. I enjoy EQ2 more. Carry on. :)
I choose both. The question is:

1. How do I justify that to my wife? (perhaps buying game cards for one and using credit card for other will mask it)
2. How do I find time for both? Maybe YK can help me on this one...
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

As far as a pick up, fun game to play goes, WoW is superior. It's super solo-friendly, it's quick to get in and get something done, and the performance and polish of the game make it a joy to play.

EQ2 is a bit more of a "gritty" gameplay experience, but it has more depth as far as classes and tradeskills go. A dungeon crawl in EQ2 feels more dangerous, more hardcore than a dungeon crawl in WoW to me.

Which I think leads me right in line with what DiscoJason said - WoW is the better game, EQ2 is the better MMORPG. I tend to play WoW as a single-player game, whereas I tend to play EQ2 as a more social/group oriented game. That's not to say WoW CAN'T be played as a social game, or that EQ2 can't be played as a solo game. It's just that the two games have different gameplay styles, and I find WoW just lends itself more to one and EQ2 more to the other.

So to answer your question specifically:

Things I prefer in WoW:
- Technical performance
- Polish (number of bugs, ease of play, etc.)
- Soloability
- Casual play

Things I prefer in EQ2:
- Depth of tradeskill system
- Depth of equipment/races/classes
- Group play

I no longer look at one as "better" than the other. They each fill a niche in my gameplay wants.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I choose both. The question is:

1. How do I justify that to my wife? (perhaps buying game cards for one and using credit card for other will mask it)
2. How do I find time for both? Maybe YK can help me on this one...
1. I ended up giving up my premium RR service (which was too expensive anyway) as well as cutting out a newsgroup subscription service.

2. Instead of splitting my time between a MMORPG and a variety of single player games, I've just found myself splitting my time between two MMORPGs. It hasn't been a problem. In the end, though, it's all about fun. Play what you want to play when you want to play it. At the point that you find yourself spending a disproportionate amount of time with one over the other, then maybe it's time to whittle it down to one. So far that hasn't happened with me yet.