disappearing posts?

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

disarm

disappearing posts?

Post by disarm »

has anyone else ever noticed a post you've made here disappearing? i've made a few posts recently only to come back to the same thread later and find them completely missing. it doesn't happen all the time, but i swear i've lost at least 2 or 3 in the last week. i'm pretty sure i'm not crazy...just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same thing...
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

Our plan worked Peacedog.

Activate phase II: the gibbon sails at dawn.
Over here.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Tareeq I'm moving you ahead of Mr Fed on the speed dial. And you can tell him I said that.

Onto the real issue:
disarm wrote:has anyone else ever noticed a post you've made here disappearing? i've made a few posts recently only to come back to the same thread later and find them completely missing. it doesn't happen all the time, but i swear i've lost at least 2 or 3 in the last week. i'm pretty sure i'm not crazy...just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same thing...
I'll make sure the right people see this. Don't take this the wrong way, but are you sure you didn't imagine this? :)

Seriously, is there some way you could be mistaken? If not. . .the only two possibilities outside of some bizzare bug are you deleted them or a mod deleted them. Removing "accidental" deletion from the equation (not out of the question), that means you did it and forgot (I doubt that too), or we have a rogue staff member on our hands. I don't think the latter is an issue, but I'll put the screws to the likely candidates.

The only other thing I can suggest is to pay close attention in case it happens again, and try to report back with as much detail as possible. Of course, once you start looking closely, you just know it will stop happening.
MHS

Post by MHS »

I didn't think full out deletion was even possible on these boards?
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Oh, it's possible. Admins can delete anything. I thought mods could too (in their forums I mean).

And I thought people could nuke their own posts but that's it. And I thought we determined that an alpha post nuked by its author didn't erase a thread. But maybe I dreamed that.
disarm

Post by disarm »

i'll be the first to admit that i may have a few screws loose, but i really don't think i'm imagining this one. i agree that there isn't an obvious explanation unless i've just been the victim of some really bizarre bug a couple times. i wish i could give some more info right now, but it's like they disappeared without a trace. if it were one isolated incident, i might have just brushed it off as cancelling/closing a post instead of hitting submit, but i don't think i'd be making that same stupid mistake or forgetting that i decided not to say something multiple times. i almost didn't mention it just because it's so bizarre, but curiousity got the better of me and i just had to ask if anyone else had noticed a problem. i guess i'm all alone... :cry:
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Peacedog wrote:Admins can delete anything. I thought mods could too (in their forums I mean).
Yes (well, I'm assuming, I mean I've seen it happen in legitimate cases in the past) and yes.
And I thought people could nuke their own posts but that's it.
Sometimes, but more often than not, no. You can *delete* a post of your own creation right up until the moment someone else has responded in a thread. At that point you can only *edit* your post and/or remove the text inside.
And I thought we determined that an alpha post nuked by its author didn't erase a thread. But maybe I dreamed that.
I'm not sure what happens if a mod or admin nukes an alpha post, and a member of the hoi polloi can only delete an alpha post if there are no replies.

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The Meal wrote: I'm not sure what happens if a mod or admin nukes an alpha post, and a member of the hoi polloi can only delete an alpha post if there are no replies.

~Neal
If I remember correctly, I had to do this once on some thread or other. I believe it only deleted the first post. The title and replies remained, and required manual deletion. I think. It's been awhile.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Oh, and thread/post deletion are two separate buttons. The "delete thread" button is down near the other moderatorial functions.

I forgot about that edit thing.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Disarm:

Can ypu find those posts using the search engine? Does your post count drop by one as well?
disarm

Post by disarm »

Peacedog wrote:Disarm:

Can ypu find those posts using the search engine? Does your post count drop by one as well?
i have no idea if my post count changes or not...i don't pay any attention to my numbers. as for using the search engine, that's something i actually did try, but had no luck though with it though. it's just like the posts never existed. maybe i am just losing my mind...wouldn't be the first time...