WoW - Gold farming for reselling online

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

The Mad Hatter

WoW - Gold farming for reselling online

Post by The Mad Hatter »

This refers to accounts set up purely to harvest gold and resell, either through Ebay or a third party site. Supposedly a lot of it takes place with accounts from China, where it is treated as just another job. This is a big deal in the high end zones. As discussed here and here on the official forums, it makes people quite upset to see.

On the one hand I understand their point, but on the other this has been going on for a long time. Blizzard may claim that they'll ban anyone caught doing it but where there's a profit motive people will find a way. As long as there's a demand for gold to accelerate the character building process, there will be people who farm it. Ideally they wouldn't be there, but I think we're going to have to accept it as a fact of life in these games.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
- George Orwell
DiscoJason

Post by DiscoJason »

You know, it's funny. Everyone praises WoW because it is so easy to level through and eliminates the grind and yet people still want to bypass all that and buy their way up the levels. Human nature is silly.
Kael

Post by Kael »

I ran into a newbie a few days ago who had a ton of gold, he had bought it online. I sold him a ton of my crafted goods.

I can understand why people wouldn't want this. They don't want "professional" players hogging the good stuff. But I think catch and ban them is a crazy way to handle it.

Instead I would create "sell" servers. If you play on these servers you are able to give items and gold to players on any other server. The professional players would flock to them because they are no longer limited to the user population of one server and it would free up all the non-sell servers from having to deal with the professionals camping the big quests.