Aaarrrrggghhh! (subtitle: Sid Meier is the devil)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

DD

Aaarrrrggghhh! (subtitle: Sid Meier is the devil)

Post by DD »

Damn, broke out Pirates! a few days ago and have been playing non-stop since. Shelved IWD 2 - just got bored after a while - and have been pillaging the Spanish Main ever since. Man, this game is great - on paper, it *should* be boring, but in reality it is one of the most entertaining games I've played in quite some time. Even the dancing is fun...

Mr. Zorro, now playing at Rogue, #4 pirate on the list (just knocked off #1 and took his Large Frigate :twisted: ), English Marquis, French Admiral, Dutch Baron, and a $10K price on my head from the Spanish - guess they're a little put out by that whole sacking the treasure fleet thing... :)

Oh, and then there's that French hottie in Martinique and the English tart in St. Kitts....
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I sit and play this game for about an hour a day. Been doing it for a few weeks now (since X-mas).

It really seems like it wouldn't be fun or addictive, but damn it is. When I try to explain gameplay to someone, I end up sounding like a tool.

"But there's Pirate booty!!!"

I'm a pretty crafty pirate. I'd be interested to see if anyone was able to play the game as a straight trader / pirate hunter.

I can see where some people think it gets sort of repetitive, but for now, it's all good.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Any chance of getting you to put the game title in the subject line? (Just a consideration thing, not a forum rule -- Sid Meier is, indeed, the devil, but he's had his name attached to a lot of different games, different families of games, and games of different genres.)

Pirates seems like one of those games that you could always go back to, even years later, to get in a few hours of plundering, swashbuckling, and pelting your foes with grape shot. Does a great job of capturing the original, too, which gives me hope for some other remakes from that same era.

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
setaside

Post by setaside »

Personally, I thought the Aaaaaaargh! gave it away. :)
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

"Aaarrrrggghhhh!" sounds like something Charlie Brown would say.

"Ar' matey" sounds more Pirate-like to me. :)

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Hey Professor - what's another name for pirate treasure?

Why, I think it's booty.
DD

Post by DD »

setaside wrote:Personally, I thought the Aaaaaaargh! gave it away. :)
That's kind of what I was thinking, though The Meal makes a valid point. And Charley Brown would say "Good grief!"
Misguided

Post by Misguided »

No, Charlie Brown would say "Auuuuuugggghhhhh!"
Note the distinct tone of despair rather than aggression.

At any rate, I haven't played the new Pirates, but the original had that same factor as Diablo, the "just one more fight/town/piece of the map/relative/etc". There was always somehting to keep you going.

I've said numerous times in regard to CoH that games are repetitive by nature. The key is in whether or not that repetition is fun. This is a good example in a modern game.
DD

Post by DD »

Pirates! has given me new hope that the greatness that is X-Com may live again, now that Sid reportedly has the rights to the title. Bring Brian Reynolds back for that one and, POW!, home run time!

Note to Sid: you MUST be able to blow up the buildings and literally smoke out aliens!!!
CeeKay

Post by CeeKay »

OOooooohhhhh as in suprise and alarm?
CeeKay has left the building. See him exclusively at Gaming Trend!
morlac

Post by morlac »

The Meal wrote:"Aaarrrrggghhhh!" sounds like something Charlie Brown would say.

"Ar' matey" sounds more Pirate-like to me. :)

~Neal
he needs a Y in the front of aaaarrrrgggghhhh, so it reads like Yaaarrrrgghhh! Much more piratey that way. :lol:
knob

Post by knob »

The Meal wrote:Any chance of getting you to put the game title in the subject line? (Just a consideration thing, not a forum rule -- Sid Meier is, indeed, the devil, but he's had his name attached to a lot of different games, different families of games, and games of different genres.)

Pirates seems like one of those games that you could always go back to, even years later, to get in a few hours of plundering, swashbuckling, and pelting your foes with grape shot. Does a great job of capturing the original, too, which gives me hope for some other remakes from that same era.

~Neal

I think one of the biggest draws is just how simple and easy it is to get in to. I was scared to pick it up because I was worried it'd be one of those complicated type games. It's amazingly easy to just stock up on food and go...floating...around the ocean, taking out each and every ship you see.
If I had a sig, would you read it?
yossar

Post by yossar »

Smoove_B wrote:

Why, I think it's booty.
Lol, we used to listen to that song all the time in college.

Unless you're quoting the actual quote (is there one?) and not the song that quoted the quote.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

yossar wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:

Why, I think it's booty.
Lol, we used to listen to that song all the time in college.

Unless you're quoting the actual quote (is there one?) and not the song that quoted the quote.
Nope the song - and I can still call my college buds and ask them that question and we all crack up. :)