Useless liberal arts

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

What is the most useless field of study?

Art history
41%
Communications
14%
Critical theory, semiotics, or anything else masquerading as English
14%
Economics
1%
Political science
9%
Psychology
3%
Sociology
7%
Other (if so, what?)
10%

Total votes: 69

Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

I majored in English because I liked reading books. I had no foresight about career choices when I chose my major, nor did I have any aspirations that it would help me land my dream job. I just wanted to take classes in the subject I most enjoyed.

Fortunately, I found that English was not a "useless" major at all, but rather it afforded me considerable flexibility in career choices after college. I take it that the more "useful" majors are the ones that more strictly direct you into a certain professional field. Humanities majors are less career-focused, but ultimately much less limiting. I guess that's why so many of us end up in graduate or law school, studying something completely different from our undergraduate degree.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Me thinks me hath been hoodwinked. I told you about "The Other" as a show of good faith and you danced around my question.[/quote]
Mr. Sparkle

Post by Mr. Sparkle »

LordMortis wrote:Me thinks me hath been hoodwinked. I told you about "The Other" as a show of good faith and you danced around my question.
Up to his usual lawyer tricks again.
My blog: Chimpanzee Tea Party

"Osama Bin Laden can suck my insouciance." -Kung Fu Monkey
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

English was a very popular major. Back in the sixties.
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

You assume that your conception of "the Other" is the same as any other conception/meaning of "the Other" that could be derived from this or any other "text"-object. In fact, you pressuppose that "the Other" has an observable and definable "meaning" and "significance" separable from your specific Western white male phalocentric straight monied hegemonic poopyhead (hereinafter "poopyhead") "perception" of it. In doing so, so perpetuate the autocratic and tyrannical attempt to impose poopyhead value/meaning perceptions/judgments onto others. You ignorant slut.
Kraegor

Post by Kraegor »

/shrug.

dunno.

buddy of mine (had psych/sociology double major) had interviews with FBI and Air Marshal's

didnt ask him how he got hooked up.
yossar

Post by yossar »

Kraegor wrote:/shrug.

dunno.

buddy of mine (had psych/sociology double major) had interviews with FBI and Air Marshal's

didnt ask him how he got hooked up.
They have regular recruiting just like any other job. Go to a job fair they're attending or check their website. I think they had a special information session at the Federal Building while I was working there (but it also could have been the CIA).
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

You assume that your conception of "the Other" is the same as any other conception/meaning of "the Other" that could be derived from this or any other "text"-object. In fact, you pressuppose that "the Other" has an observable and definable "meaning" and "significance" separable from your specific Western white male phalocentric straight monied hegemonic poopyhead (hereinafter "poopyhead") "perception" of it. In doing so, so perpetuate the autocratic and tyrannical attempt to impose poopyhead value/meaning perceptions/judgments onto others. You ignorant slut.
:P I think you missed the other as being an existential kinda concept and not a postmodern kinda concept and now you're just being mean to mean. So whose the poopyhead? I really want to know what's wrong with talking about "the Other." And now I'm going to cry.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

No vote. No knowledge is useless. I'd rather hire a genius with Critical Theory than a moron with a Business degree.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
geezer

Post by geezer »

Mr. Fed wrote:You assume that your conception of "the Other" is the same as any other conception/meaning of "the Other" that could be derived from this or any other "text"-object. In fact, you pressuppose that "the Other" has an observable and definable "meaning" and "significance" separable from your specific Western white male phalocentric straight monied hegemonic poopyhead (hereinafter "poopyhead") "perception" of it. In doing so, so perpetuate the autocratic and tyrannical attempt to impose poopyhead value/meaning perceptions/judgments onto others. You ignorant slut.
You made my brain hurt :(
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Blackhawk wrote:No knowledge is useless.
I'm not sure about that. If I was so inclined, I'm sure I could find endless information about Brad & Jen's breakup online.

Is that knowledge valuable?
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Exodor wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:No knowledge is useless.
I'm not sure about that. If I was so inclined, I'm sure I could find endless information about Brad & Jen's breakup online.

Is that knowledge valuable?
It is to people who write about it.
Meghan

Post by Meghan »

Useless for what? The true value of education lies in the development of self reflection, discipline and critical thinking. All those fields listed can help in that process.

I've studied Latin, archeology, anthropology, critical theory, history, classics, liguistics, acting, voice, dance, costuming, biology and philosophy. I'm sorry I haven't spent more time on mathmatics. But I don't feel the poorer for what I have studied.

Sidenote: Librarianship is much cooler than lawyering, if you're wondering what to do for post-grad. Low stress, decent pay, nice work places. Librarians who understand computers are in particular demand. None of you bastards better apply for jobs I want, though.
If I ventured in the slipstream / between the viaducts of your dream

aka merneith, aka kylhwch
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

Well now I officially feel stupid. :oops:
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Mr. Fed wrote:You assume that your conception of "the Other" is the same as any other conception/meaning of "the Other" that could be derived from this or any other "text"-object. In fact, you pressuppose that "the Other" has an observable and definable "meaning" and "significance" separable from your specific Western white male phalocentric straight monied hegemonic poopyhead (hereinafter "poopyhead") "perception" of it. In doing so, so perpetuate the autocratic and tyrannical attempt to impose poopyhead value/meaning perceptions/judgments onto others. You ignorant slut.
Nice try, but your own dime store pseudoneopost-feminist ethic is showing through like a black thong under white cotton pants. Why don't you just write "vagina vagina vagina vagina penis penis penis penis" and be done with it? That's what you're really saying. Go sell Gilligan and Tannen somewhere else; we're all stocked up here. And if you think I put that semi-colon in just to mock you, I did. :!:
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

What a tedious Grand Narrative y'all have constructed...
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Mr. Fed wrote:you pressuppose that "the Other" has an observable and definable "meaning" and "significance" separable from your specific Western white male phalocentric straight monied hegemonic poopyhead (hereinafter "poopyhead") "perception" of it.
Your mastery of Critical Legal Studies makes you a plum choice to represent the electoral holdouts in Ohio....
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Fireball1244 wrote:
Ironrod wrote:Wow, tough call. Those are all pretty useless for anything but teaching, which itself only perpetuates the production of impoverished intellectuals.
That's the actual point of universities, to create intellectuals (priests, journalists, writers, philosophers, jurists, scientists). The addition of "building an office cog" type stuff to college is a recent mutation, and not necessarily a good one.
I was right on the cusp of that change. My education came on the heels of the '60s generation. In both high school and college, there were still pass/fail, attendance-optional classes, the kind where you pushed the desks against the walls and sat in a circle on the floor, or played chess during math class. We took seriously the ideal of education for its own sake, of pursuing our curiosity. "Do what you love, and the money will follow", we believed.

The kids just 2 or 3 years behind me were the practical, career-oriented, money-focused, young Reaganauts who eventually conquered the world. Someday the pendulum will swing back. As you noted, the tilt toward career training is a recent phenomenon, and not something (like the simple joy of learning) that people embrace naturally.
Captain Caveman wrote:I majored in English because I liked reading books.
Quite a racket, eh? "You mean I can get a college degree for reading books and talking about them? Sign me up!" Of course, they make you read books nobody would ever choose to read. But context is good to have when you're reading the books you do care about.

If you know anyone who's hiring a good book reader, send me a PM.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

This poll is useless without "Law" as a choice.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Blackhawk wrote:No vote. No knowledge is useless. I'd rather hire a genius with Critical Theory than a moron with a Business degree.
Bingo. The dumbest person I ever met had a degree in electrical engineering.

He thought Nebraska was somewhere in Alabama.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Ironrod wrote: "You mean I can get a college degree for reading books and talking about them? Sign me up!"
I also got credit for a course on cinema where all we did was watch kick-ass movies like The Godfather. College freakin' ruled.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Jeff V wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:No vote. No knowledge is useless. I'd rather hire a genius with Critical Theory than a moron with a Business degree.
Bingo. The dumbest person I ever met had a degree in electrical engineering.

He thought Nebraska was somewhere in Alabama.
Ironically both of which are nowhere I'd want to be.

I knew a to-be Computer Engineer (which is basically a fancy-lad name for a certain type of EE) who thought Colorado was the capitol of California. I watched a fight break out over this one. :)

Of course I was 13 at the time...

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Discalced

Post by Discalced »

My ex-girlfriend thought Sacramento was the capitol of the United States. I dated her for the conversation.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

I guess "The Other" is Levinas? I thought it was Lyotard. So many 'L' names amongst European thinkers.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I guess "The Other" is Levinas?
"The Other" was around before Levinas. It is just a term he picked up in his "post-existential contemproary continental" style of philosophy.

I believe he came from a perioud surronded by other continental philosophers like Merlou Ponty, Foucault, Levistraus, Derrida, etc... I didn't take much time with the rest as Levinas really caught my fancy with his ethics as first philosophy perspective and not trying to write in some higher cryptic language as many contemporary writers (and especially philosophic writers) do. I also liked that he was really optomistic in his writing, something we don't have enough of.

I recommend Vis a Vis and The Levinas Reader as great sources.

I'm not familiar with Lyotard.

http://mythosandlogos.com/Levinas.html

Hey. Learn something new, every day. It looks like Levinas was more or less before Sartre as far as being contemporaries go. He also studied under Husserl and Heidigger which makes sense, but was something I did not know. That also makes not so much as post-existential but lateral to the existential movement.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Since I don't know where else to drop it, Sophie's World is one of the best books I've read in years.

It's not as dry as you might think - it's an very interesting book on how we've come to look at our world. It' pretty deep for a "children's story".
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

It's not as dry as you might think - it's an very interesting book on how we've come to look at our world. It' pretty deep for a "children's story".
Three good books in children's story that used be current, but is now probably almost two decades old is Griffin and Sabine. It would definately be high on the "Critical Thinking" or whatever they call it studies. The series of books is an illustrated set of postcards and letters between two penpals, that gets very interesting IMO.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/searc ... 49-5610504