EBgames takes advantage of WoW shortage

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Daehawk

EBgames takes advantage of WoW shortage

Post by Daehawk »

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/242464.asp

More reason to hate those dumb arseholes.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

What's sad is that someone will buy them.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

As I posted in a similar thread:

Does anyone have it cheaper? My point is how much does this cost EB? For example, if their normal markup is 10%, if they're paying $145, then a $15 markup may not be unreasonable. The only way they're screwing you is if they are marking this up at a higher than normal rate - and you have no evidence, much less proof, of this.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The 'suggested retail price' was originally $79.99, and I seriously doubt that Blizzard would respond to the shortage by cranking the price to their outlets. The cost to EB is certainly well under $79.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
disarm

Post by disarm »

i know i saw a couple of these at my local BestBuy just a few days ago. now i'm really starting to think i should go back and try to make myself a little money...
Zathras

Post by Zathras »

I just checked Amazon and they don't have either the collector's or the regular edition in stock. However, Amazon Marketplace sellers are selling WoW for a huge markup.

The collector's edition of WoW starts at $235 and goes up from there. The regular edition starts at $79 bux.

Yikes!
"What good is science if nobody gets hurt!"
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Go, capitalism, go!
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Blizzard should put a stop to it.

To me, this isn't much better than someone who pirates games.
qp

Post by qp »

Supply & Demand plain and simple, if someone is going to pay it then have at it. I suppose one thing that may just counteract supply & demand in this case is PATIENCE....i've no doubt that Blizzard wants to sell more units (especially since this means more monthly revenues), they're going to get new servers or whatever ready as fast as they can!
Game developer in Port Hope, Ontario
Five Archers Corporation
@FiveArchers on Twitter!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

qp wrote:Supply & Demand plain and simple, if someone is going to pay it then have at it. I suppose one thing that may just counteract supply & demand in this case is PATIENCE....i've no doubt that Blizzard wants to sell more units (especially since this means more monthly revenues), they're going to get new servers or whatever ready as fast as they can!
For EB, the one thing that should counter supply & demand is awareness of their public image, something which isn't top notch to begin with. Yeah, people will pay the price (S&D), but making your company look like a team of jackasses still makes it a bad business decision.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Blackhawk wrote:
qp wrote:Supply & Demand plain and simple, if someone is going to pay it then have at it. I suppose one thing that may just counteract supply & demand in this case is PATIENCE....i've no doubt that Blizzard wants to sell more units (especially since this means more monthly revenues), they're going to get new servers or whatever ready as fast as they can!
For EB, the one thing that should counter supply & demand is awareness of their public image, something which isn't top notch to begin with. Yeah, people will pay the price (S&D), but making your company look like a team of jackasses still makes it a bad business decision.
If they sold them at $79.99 employees would just buy them all up and eBay them. That's what happened to all the CEs at my local EBs. Or someone who's not an employee would just buy up all the copies and eBay them. At least at $149 there's less incentive and maybe someone who actually wants the CE can get it.

EDIT: Oh, and the other thread is here.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Phanboi

Post by Phanboi »

And people wonder why games are pirated... :roll:
And people wonder why PC gaming is on the decline... :evil:
Austin

Post by Austin »

DaPhanboi wrote:And people wonder why games are pirated... :roll:
Well, kinda' hard to pirate this one. ;)
knob

Post by knob »

Austin wrote:
Well, kinda' hard to pirate this one. ;)

I don't know, EQ and UO had quite a few illegal servers. And we all know the type of people Blizzard attracts, it wouldn't surprise me if illegal servers start popping up for this too.
If I had a sig, would you read it?
yossar

Post by yossar »

Regular WoW is still at regular price. Only the Collector's Edition is at that ridiculous price. I really doubt people are pirating all the little trinkets that are the major difference between regular and collector's edition (and the bonus in-game pet).