JavaScript in Firefox?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

disarm

JavaScript in Firefox?

Post by disarm »

i just started using Firefox a couple days ago and have a really annoying problem...any link on a page that uses javascript to open a new window fails to work. it's not an issue with pop-up blocking because i tried completely disabling that, and i can actually look at the error messages if i bring up the JavaScript console in Firefox. i'm just curious if JavaScript problems are a known issue in Firefox, or if i have something else going on to cause the problem.

here's an example on a mainstream site...
i went to BestBuy.com to check out their weekly ad for any good music or DVD sales. there's a link for the "Weekly Ad" in the upper-left corner of the page...clicking the link should use JavaScript to open a small window with the ad, but nothing happens. the problem is universal to similar links on any site...and they all work perfectly in IE.

i'm really liking Firefox for the most part, but this is a really annoying problem because it's a feature used on several sites i regularly visit. any input from more experience Firefox users would be greatly appreciated. in the meantime, i'll be scouring the web trying to find some help...

addendum: for what it's worth, i am running a few extra extensions...IEView, FoxyTunes, Super DragAndGo, and Tabbrowser Extensions. i may try getting rid of TE and see if that is the cause...
Snow

Post by Snow »

I just tested your link. Running with no extensions, I have no problem with the popup and haven't had any issues with other sites either.
disarm

Post by disarm »

thanks for the quick reply. i'm going to give it a try without TBE installed later and see if that fixes the problem. i really like all the features of that extension, but apparently it's known to cause quite a few problems for people. it'll have to wait until i get some sleep though...getting late tonight ;)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I have the TBE active and the pop-up came right up.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

From what I remember (and I don't have firefox in front of me) there are options to allow you to shut down various parts of javascript. Opening a new window may be one of them.
disarm

Post by disarm »

the problem is something related to Tabbrowser Extensions...the pop-up links started working immediately after i uninstalled that extension. the fact that they work for Kasey with TBE installed leads me to believe it must be linked to a specific option that set. it sure would be nice to figure out which that is so that i can use TBE again, but there's a ton of options to go through if i want to figure it out...

thanks for the input anyway guys 8)

Update -- i quick look on the forum at the TBE website shows that other people are having the same problem with the latest version...apparently it's an issue that has occurred off and on through different versions of the extension. maybe i'll just give 'Tabbrowser Preferences' a try for now and wait for an update to TBE...
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Correction, I got TBF, not TBE. TBF 1.2.1 to be exact.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Kasey Chang wrote:Correction, I got TBF, not TBE. TBF 1.2.1 to be exact.
What's TBF? Or do you mean TBP (Tab Browser Preferences)?
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Yeah, TBP, whatever. :P