[Rumor]You won't have Mike Martz to kick around any more!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

triggercut

[Rumor]You won't have Mike Martz to kick around any more!

Post by triggercut »

OO exclusive:

Look for the Rams to relieve Mrs. Doubtfire of his duties as head coach tomorrow, or so say sources I trust.
"It's my manner, sir. It looks insubordinate, but it isn't, really."
yossar

Post by yossar »

Hmm, I think I'll wait until this rumor pans out before I start getting too excited. And until I see who they're gonna sign instead.

It's too bad the Niners already signed a replacement head coach ;)
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Damn!
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Strictly rumor at this point, and those of us privy are wondering if the "source" mistook the firing today of Special Teams coach Mike Stock for the "Mike" getting fired at Rams Park.
Rincewind

Re: [Rumor]You won't have Mike Martz to kick around any more

Post by Rincewind »

triggercut wrote:OO exclusive:

Look for the Rams to relieve Mrs. Doubtfire of his duties as head coach tomorrow, or so say sources I trust.
You don't think say..ESPN or SI or someone would have access to a "source" with at least this much information? THey dont seem to have anything on this...
triggercut

Re: [Rumor]You won't have Mike Martz to kick around any more

Post by triggercut »

Rincewind wrote:
triggercut wrote:OO exclusive:

You don't think say..ESPN or SI or someone would have access to a "source" with at least this much information? THey dont seem to have anything on this...
Same source had the Cardinals trade for Mark Mulder and their signing of Eckstein and Grudzielanek hours before anyone else in the national media.

Same source also had the Cardinals getting Tim Hudson (before the Mulder thing) but that ended up not happening. Still, it's a source tied to the local media in town there, where they'd get the news before the national reporters.
dedewhale

Post by dedewhale »

the Rams are a notoriously cheap team when it comes to coaches and rarely fire head coaches before the contract is up and I believe he has one more year so I am leaning on the doubt it side on this (could be wrong) but that is my gut.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

As much as I dislike Martz, I doubt he'll be fired soon. How do you fire someone that just took the team to the second round of the playoffs?
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

triggercut wrote:Strictly rumor at this point, and those of us privy are wondering if the "source" mistook the firing today of Special Teams coach Mike Stock for the "Mike" getting fired at Rams Park.
Probably the case, if I were to guess. I think you've mentioned your network TV sportscasting "ins" in the past (and I'm assuming that's where this is coming from). Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me to declare *this* the year that Martz earned himself the boot. I mean I could be wrong and all, but unless there was someone out there the Rams were really after, it'd seem a bit odd to axe him right now.

Stranger things have happened, but I'll file this one up to "I'll believe it if/when it happens." And that's *with* my understanding of who your "leak" is (which is admittedly fairly reliable as evidenced by the track record you mention and the previous mentions you've made over on that other forum).

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Different source this time, this guy's a media stringer for a local tv station.

He's backing off it this morning, too, saying it may have been the firing of Special Teams coach Mike Stock he heard about.

As Emily Litella would say: "Nevermind!"
Aliasbuck

Post by Aliasbuck »

To quote Charlie Brown: Rats
yossar

Post by yossar »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:As much as I dislike Martz, I doubt he'll be fired soon. How do you fire someone that just took the team to the second round of the playoffs?
He did inherit a team that had just won 2 Superbowls.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

They only won one.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

yossar wrote:
Ralph-Wiggum wrote:As much as I dislike Martz, I doubt he'll be fired soon. How do you fire someone that just took the team to the second round of the playoffs?
Don't forget those 14 point underdog Patriots beat them. As SIM said, they won once. And I told those friggin' Titans NOT to take that penalty cause they lost two or three yards on it. So they continue marching after accepting the penalty....and come up one yard short. ARGH! :evil:
yossar

Post by yossar »

Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote:
They only won one.
Hmm, I checked and you're right. I guess I'm just self-delusional. After the 2001 Superbowl, my brain just couldn't process that they had lost to the Patriots. And now it can't process Martz winning a Superbowl. So you can see how I could have come to the conclusion that Vermeil beat the Patriots in the Superbowl in 2001. ;)
naednek

Post by naednek »

thanks for getting my hopes up. It's Friday night, and still no word :P I'm just glad the niners picked their coach, I would have died if Martz joined our team

In other news, niners just signed Mike Singletary as an assistant coach :)
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=1972271
theohall

Post by theohall »

Reasons Martz could be fired (but we'll just have to wait and see)

1) Losing playoff games in back-to-back seasons the same way - no run defense and horrible special teams. When the offense has to start inside their own 20, special teams and/or defense aren't doing the job of providing field position to help the offense.

2) Special teams have been the worst in the league ever since Martz took over as head coach and they've been through 3 special teams coaches. One was Bobby April who has been successful as a ST coach everywhere else he's held the position including in Buffalo this season.

3) The biggest weakness in the Rams defense was not corrected from one season to the next and directly contributed to consecutive playoff losses.

The only coach who hasn't changed positions for the Rams since Martz hiring in 2000 is the head coach. Every other position coach or coordinator has changed. The Rams are still a one-dimenionsal football team - all offense - and it takes all three dimensions to win playoff games.

So if he does get fired - those are three good reasons it could happen. Knowing the Rams are cheap though as mentioned earlier, they'll probably let him finish the contract.

Martz is still a great offensive coordinator and if he does get the axe, some other team is going to wind up with a great offense.