Infogrames sells Civilization franchise but to who?

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Grifman

Infogrames sells Civilization franchise but to who?

Post by Grifman »

Reuters is reporting that Infogrames has sold the Civ franchise for $15MM euros, about $20MM:

http://yahoo.reuters.com/financeQuoteCo ... 347_newsml

But strange, no mention is made of the buyer. And even stranger there's been no press conference from the buyer announcing it. You'd think whoever bought it would be trumpeting the purchase with PR talk about their plans for the future. The whole thing sounds strange to me.

Grifman
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I can see why they'd want to cash out a valuable PC strategy brand. PC strategy games offer very little growth potential, and don't contribute to the AAA blockbuster console strategy that a giant like Atari has to pursue. But I, too, would love to know who had 15.5 million to snap it up...not a plucky independent, certainly. Sid himself, maybe? (Just a WAG) And what will it mean for Civ4, which I thought was in early development?
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Ironrod wrote:I can see why they'd want to cash out a valuable PC strategy brand. PC strategy games offer very little growth potential, and don't contribute to the AAA blockbuster console strategy that a giant like Atari has to pursue. But I, too, would love to know who had 15.5 million to snap it up...not a plucky independent, certainly. Sid himself, maybe? (Just a WAG) And what will it mean for Civ4, which I thought was in early development?
Can Firaxis really afford that kind of dough?

Let's hope so. :D
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Let's hope Civilization isn't going to hell in a handbasket.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

dbt1949 wrote:Let's hope Civilization isn't going to hell in a handbasket.
I thought Firaxis stood for "fiery axis" not "fiery basket"?
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Ironrod wrote:And what will it mean for Civ4, which I thought was in early development?
Well, seeing as someone just plunked down $20MM for it, I think not much. They'd be highly unlikely to go change things now and threaten their investment.

Grifman
Veloxi

Post by Veloxi »

Personally, I'm hoping Ubisoft. They've been doing quite well lately, and I'd love to see them give the Civ series the respect it deserves, as they have with simulations such as IL-2 and Pacific Fighters.
Quaro

Post by Quaro »

I don't see Ubisoft blowing that much money like that. Who does stuff like this? Maybe Microsoft... Xbox2 launch title?
knob

Post by knob »

Quaro wrote:I don't see Ubisoft blowing that much money like that. Who does stuff like this? Maybe Microsoft... Xbox2 launch title?

I find that hard to believe. I just can't see Civ being a great console game, let alone a great launch game.
If I had a sig, would you read it?
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

I bet Derek Smart bought the rights.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Moat_Man wrote:I bet Derek Smart bought the rights.
You better put some kind of smilie after a remark like that, mister. :x
Meghan

Post by Meghan »

relax - it was probably Bethesda ...
If I ventured in the slipstream / between the viaducts of your dream

aka merneith, aka kylhwch
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Here's someone else speculating that it's Firaxis. This is from the Civ Fanatics Center:
Additional info from HomeLAN Fed:
HomeLAN contacted Atari corporate PR represenative Nancy Bushkin over the phone this morning who confirmed that the Atari will no longer be publishing any more Civilization games, although it still retains the rights to sell its previous Civ games through October 2005. Bushkin would not reveal who Infogrames/Atari sold the Civ franchise to HomeLAN saying, "That's up to that party to disclose that." A couple of years ago, Atari announced a multi-year deal with Firaxis to publish a number of their games, including more Civilization games, and Bushkin said today they still have a good relationship with Firaxis but would not reveal future publishing plans with the developer, other than the upcoming Xbox version of their just released PC title Sid Meier's Pirates. HomeLAN has contact Firaxis Games for comment but has not yet received an answer to our inquiries on this matter.

Let's hope the buyer is Firaxis! It certainly seems likely considering the fact that Firaxis bought back the rights to several classic Sid Meier games from Atari last year.

Thanks to Kai Fiebach of Civ3.de for the news tip and HomeLAN Fed for the additional info.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I'm not sure Firaxis buying it makes sense - they still need a publisher to distribute it. The last time they attempted self-distribution (Antietam), they didn't exactly set any sales records. There aren't many publishers that could distribute a game better than Atari. It's possible, though, that Atari wouldn't sell directly to EA or Microsoft; so Firaxis bought it as an intermediary.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Jeff V wrote:I'm not sure Firaxis buying it makes sense - they still need a publisher to distribute it. The last time they attempted self-distribution (Antietam), they didn't exactly set any sales records. There aren't many publishers that could distribute a game better than Atari. It's possible, though, that Atari wouldn't sell directly to EA or Microsoft; so Firaxis bought it as an intermediary.
I thought the same thing but it is possible that Firaxis bought it to control the license. After all, though the game is associated with SM, there's no guarantee that Atari would always use Firaxis to develop the next Civ. Atari owned the license so they could chcose anyone they wanted, or just sit on it for that matter. Firaxis may have wanted final control over the license.

Grifman
Veloxi

Post by Veloxi »

If Firaxis did buy the rights and everything back, 2 questions immediately come to my mind:

1. Where did they get the funds to spend that kind of money to buy back the license?

2. Where will they get the funds to publish their own game?
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Veloxi wrote:If Firaxis did buy the rights and everything back, 2 questions immediately come to my mind:

1. Where did they get the funds to spend that kind of money to buy back the license?
Any number of ways - borrowed it, issued stock to private investors, maybe SM/others have the money
Who says they have to publish it? They just sign with a new publisher and bring the license with them.

Grifman
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Veloxi wrote:If Firaxis did buy the rights and everything back, 2 questions immediately come to my mind:

1. Pirates! is coming out for consoles. The advances on that alone might net them that sort of scratch (and Atari could have structured the deal including with that in mind).

2. They've self-published before (Antietam). Self-publishing isn't an issue; but if they do so, the market size will shrink because their distribution channel is would be a fraction of what Atari already has.

The only thing that makes sense is for them to publish through EA or Microsoft, the only publishers substantially larger than Atari (the other two Frenchies, Vivendi and UBI Soft, would be lateral moves). An imminent deal with either would also probably provide enough capital to consummate this deal.

While $20M is a lot, it isn't THAT much. Ensemble spent $25 million making Age of Mythology, for example. Microsoft made $125 million on Halo 2 in one day. The Civ franchise has been pretty successful (3 companies were sunk over the name alone), so the investment capital probably wouldn't be that hard to drum up.
Veloxi

Post by Veloxi »

Good points all around. I sincerely hope it is Firaxis. That way there's less developer/publisher friction or problems.
JayG

Post by JayG »

Age of Mythology cost 25 Million????? Where did the money go. Makes Half Life look cheap.
CSL

Post by CSL »

JayG wrote:Age of Mythology cost 25 Million????? Where did the money go. Makes Half Life look cheap.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Jeff V wrote:While $20M is a lot, it isn't THAT much. Ensemble spent $25 million making Age of Mythology, for example. Microsoft made $125 million on Halo 2 in one day. The Civ franchise has been pretty successful (3 companies were sunk over the name alone), so the investment capital probably wouldn't be that hard to drum up.
Maybe so, but you're comparing apples and oranges. The $20MM is just to get the game license, and you are comparing that to development costs of AoM. The Civ develoment costs would come on top of the $20MM. And though I love Civ, I don't think it would sell anything like Halo 2.

Grifman
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

JayG wrote:Age of Mythology cost 25 Million????? Where did the money go. Makes Half Life look cheap.
It took 5 years to make. Ensemble has a huge staff for a gaming company, as well as nice digs. The launch party (which was awesome btw) probably set them back $250K right there.

Their break-even point at that cost was 800,000 units, which they hit in under two months.
Grifman wrote:Maybe so, but you're comparing apples and oranges. The $20MM is just to get the game license, and you are comparing that to development costs of AoM. The Civ develoment costs would come on top of the $20MM. And though I love Civ, I don't think it would sell anything like Halo 2.
I'm not comparing anything, I'm giving an idea about what sort of financial ball park class-A titles play in. Civilization sold an awful lot over the years - I think it's still the best-selling strategy game franchise. Pirates could very well strike gold for them on consoles as well.

Since Microsoft has the rest of the Civilization family in their catalog (co-designer Bruce Shelley w/Ensemble, Brian Reynolds and Tim Train w/BHG), I wonder if they are shooting for a trifecta.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Jeff V wrote:
Their break-even point at that cost was 800,000 units, which they hit in under two months.
That seems awfully low. That means that Ensemble got $31.25 for each copy? That seems unlikely, if you assume the game went for $50, it leaves only $19/copy for the retailers and the publisher. I didn't think developers got that high of a cut.

Or was the $25MM inclusive of Microsoft's costs also for marketing, distribution, etc.?

Grifman
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Jeff V wrote: I'm not comparing anything,
Yes, you are. You said $20MM isn't alot and then compared it with the cost of other games you know about. But again, you were comparing the cost of a license with the cost of development.

Let's assume Firaxis did buy the license. Well, now they've spent $20MM (comparable to other games developments costs as you pointed out) and they don't even have a game ready to sell! They still have to spend a ton of money on development.

Yes, games cost alot to make but $20MM is alot for a license when you still have to spend money on further development.

Grifman
The Preacher
Forum Moderator

Post by The Preacher »

Hell, I'm just impressed that you remember this thread, Nade. Bravo to you!
You do not take from this universe. It grants you what it will.
Rowdy

Post by Rowdy »

I heard EA was interested.
Goonch

Post by Goonch »

Rowdy wrote:I heard EA was interested.
SSSsshhhhhhh...don't mention that awful 2 letter word. They might just buy Take-Two :wink: