2024 Fundraising - $1102 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

GreenGoo

Re: PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds

Post by GreenGoo »

Octavious wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:35 pm It seems like they are still trying to catch up. This morning it wasn't reporting anything for me and now it has everything.

I'm mia until Monday night at least as I'm visiting family. I probably could use a few days break. I play this way too much.
See you when you get back Oct. Have a good holiday.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Last night was pretty discouraging, even later playing solo. Couldn't seem to hit a thing. If I get to play tonight, I'm worried I'll lose badly even if all my opponents are armed Santas who can't find body armor that fits. :roll:
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
McG2k1

Post by McG2k1 »

Is there any organized OO play? My usual crew is kinda of burnt out but I still want to play. Is there an OO discord server or anything?
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

We have a discord server for oo. There's around 4-5 of us that play pretty regularly. I'm not aorund so I can't send a link to the discord.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Frey, Red and I doing some late Christmas night kill or be killed.

Goo gets his first chicken dinner. Teammates pointed out targets and I pulled the trigger.

Enlarge Image
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

McG2k1 wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:40 am Is there any organized OO play? My usual crew is kinda of burnt out but I still want to play. Is there an OO discord server or anything?
https://discord.gg/FwRmrT

Supposedly good for 24 hours, after that your PC self-destructs.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:09 am Frey, Red and I doing some late Christmas night kill or be killed.

Goo gets his first chicken dinner. Teammates pointed out targets and I pulled the trigger.

Enlarge Image
Nice! Good to see that you finally got a win. It really feels impossible until you win one or two. Five kills too! Woo.. I love love love the new map. It really is much less of a frag match compared to the other map. It's so spread out that you have time to get stuff and work on a plan.

I was setting up my daughters new computer and then playing Borderlands 2 with her. Ya she will be fine playing Pubg. She was running circles around me in the game. :doh: I'll probably grab it for her later this week. I took Thursday off so we're not getting anything else accomplished that day. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Freyland

Post by Freyland »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:09 am Frey, Red and I doing some late Christmas night kill or be killed.

Enlarge Image

Goo gets real points for maintaining his composure. When he says "Teammates pointed out targets..", if you visualized two sophisticated, monocle'd Englishmen drinking tea and calmly saying, "I say there, Old Boy, there's a Poppett just above that rise... why don't you murder him my Good Man?" then you're wrong. It was a lot more like the two old dudes on the balconey in the Muppets, but rabid and wearing Chicken Dinner shirts.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I see a lot of reviews on the Steam page complaining of hackers using cheats. Are you seeing a lot of this? It's one of the reasons I gave up MP shooters years ago on the PC.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:11 pm I see a lot of reviews on the Steam page complaining of hackers using cheats. Are you seeing a lot of this? It's one of the reasons I gave up MP shooters years ago on the PC.
I'm going to tentatively say no. Before the final release, I had maybe 5 people I reported for possible cheating. Since release, there is a "kill cam" which shows you a brief stretch leading up to your death which has really helped alleviate misgivings about some of my deaths. I'm sure its out there, and even with a killcam I am not sure I could tell if someone was using an AIMBOT vs just being a good shot.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

It seems to come in waves. My guess is a effective hack gets into the wild and the jerks go nuts for a few days and then a patch swoops in. The last month or so I haven't really seen much of anything that was questionable. So I wouldn't hold back from playing this for that reason. This game is just really really hard to get your head around and there are some (a lot) crazy good players out there.

I'm closing in on I think 450 hours played and I would only now say I'm decent at the game. I don't play online much at all so my learning curve was probably larger than most. I find it really really rewarding when things go right and it's just stupid addictive for me. :lol:

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

OK, I bought it :roll:. Do I need to install both the game and the test server?
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:37 pm OK, I bought it :roll:. Do I need to install both the game and the test server?
Nope, just the main game. The test server had a lot of interesting features that weren't in production, but with the release of v1.0, all the new and fun stuff is in the main game now.

The only think you need the Test Server install for is if you're interested in trying upcoming patches before they go live.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Now that we are out of Early Access I have no idea. I certainly don't sit down at night planning to mess with the test server unless they make a specific announcement. So, if you are given the choice I would say no.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Thanks for the quick replies. I'm just in a gaming doldrums right now and maybe PuBG will give me something to keep me interested in gaming; I'm up to my 124th book this year and I really need a break from reading.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

I try to be on by 11 EDT, sometimes earlier. Others vary a bit.
JC Anejo

Post by JC Anejo »

Both of my brothers-in-law were talking this up at Christmas. Should be interesting as it will be my first online game.. Downloading now so we will see
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

OK, I've played for 69 minutes, which is four rounds. I died by KAR-98 in three of those from a distance. By the way, I didn't see a kill cam any of those times, do I have to enable it?

The other time I got killed by someone up close who was in wait for me. The good news is that I did kill someone, he was waiting at the top of a staircase but didn't notice me in time. Actually I've only seen three people in the whole time I've played, the one I killed, one way far away I shot at but missed, and finally one who was far away and running from me.

I understand the concept (I think) of the contracting circle. However, what are the red zones?

Well, this game is a bit up my alley, one shot (or pretty close to one shot) kills, hunting people down, laying in wait. I might have to join up for a team event. Do you use headsets? I don't know if my old one still works. Can teams be played without voice comms?

Overall pretty OK experience on technical performance. I'm not a big graphics guy, so plain without a lot of fancy details is OK. And once I figured out that I should select North America as my region the game ran smooth.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:48 pm I understand the concept (I think) of the contracting circle. However, what are the red zones?
Random areas where bombs drop. If your area of the map/minimap turns red you want to get out of it or get inside a building.

I've run and driven through the bombs pretty often and have yet to die to one (with that statement I expect my streak has ended).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Headsets are necessary for a team experience. Well, voice comms are, anyways.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I played several more matches and I'm not convinced on the gameplay. I had several matches where I landed far away from the eventual circle and spent a lot of the time running and desperately trying to find a vehicle and getting killed. I finally had a match where I ended up near the center of the circle so I didn't have to travel, so instead I camped out in a building and manage in the next fifteen minutes to kill one guy who tried to get in. Then the circle showed I was going to be outside it, so I moved and of course I got nailed.

I passed the two hour mark so it's too late to return. I might have to check out other modes. While a free for all sounded fun, I'm not feeling it so much now.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

The game is incredibly unforgiving, although I can attest that with continued play, things, in general, improve. You're still going to get killed early, or spend a match chasing the circle only to get picked off just as you get inside it, or hide out and never see anyone and then get headshotted from an enemy you never see (although the kill cam does wonders for this, after the fact. Kill cam is a huge improvement). But with time you'll creep up into the top 20 regularly, then the top 10 semi-regularly, and if you're good at this sort of game, wins will start to follow.

I stopped playing for a full month when the players I was teaming with took a break because solo was just too frustrating for me, but now that I'm back and playing regularly, I'm enjoying both my team games and my solo games.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I just finished my last match of the evening and I got down to be the #9 player left. I again made the mistake of moving sooner than I needed to when avoiding the circle closing in. However, all those years playing cops and robbers when I was in single digits is playing off :mrgreen:. And of course all that experience in Call to Duty when I would camp and piss off everyone else :roll:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Also, when you learn the maps better you will spend less time running for the circle. There are maps out there showing where you can expect to find vehicles, generally speaking, and unsurprisingly, the answer is "along the roads." With time you will also get a sense of where to drop to expect a fight or where to drop and expect some peace and quiet. The interesting problem is that if you want good loot, you're probably going to need to fight others for it. You can find a peaceful place to drop, but you will likely be disappointed in what you find.... then you use that disappointing loot to kill someone that got good loot... or die and try again.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

The trick is to find quite places with good loot. There are lots of spots, but you have to learn where they are. For example I never drop at the mansion, but I love dropping at the house right next to it. Rarely contested and I usually walk out mostly fully loaded in 2-3 minutes. From there you can hop to a bunch of other places and there's always a vehicle somewhere nearby.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Also for the record, any advice I give is purely theoretical. I can basically always make it to the end game if I want, but I can never win it.

I think the main problem is the opponents have all been plating CS:GO for the past decade while I have been playing open world action RPGs. fast headshots is a feature in one of these things and not the other. Fast headshots and spotting enemies (possibly in the other order) are the keys to PUBG.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Spotting is 100% the most important thing. I still suck at it. :( And yes they have amazing reflexes that I will never hope to match, but I do make top 10 most of the time unless I'm just looking for a fight. And I almost never camp buildings for 15 minutes at a time. I have better things to do with my life than to sit around doing nothing in a game over and over. That's just not fun. It's a good plan and all but barf.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Octavious wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:30 pm And I almost never camp buildings for 15 minutes at a time. I have better things to do with my life than to sit around doing nothing in a game over and over. That's just not fun. It's a good plan and all but barf.
Yeah, I didn't enjoy it all that much either, but I got tired of being gunned down on the way from A to B. I'll have to try it again today.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

The second biggest thing is to have an idea of where people dropped and where they are going. This takes the most time imho. It's rare when I get ganked by a random kar98 anymore. A. because I know where people likely will be and b. I never stop moving. Standing still is a bad idea. Laying in a spot for a long time is usually a bad. idea. Move move move. You should look like you need to pee all the time. :)

Freyland

Post by Freyland »

I have read that a patch and the associated maintenance will be dropped at about 9pm EDT, and take two hours. Guess I'll check in with you guys at 11 pm on discord.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Bah that sucks. Probably won't be on tonight then, but we'll see. I'm off tomorrow. YAY. I might try and teach my daughter, but I don't know if I feel like dropping another 30 bucks right now.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I just had a mixed session. One round I did really well, got in close to the center with less than two dozen opponents left. I was entering a building and made my usual move, open door, go in and then spin round and close door. I got shot as I was closing the door :cry:. New lesson learned, never turn your back to the room till you clear it.

However, my 64 year old self has emerged. I lost three rounds where I actually had a drop on the other guy. Two were somewhat close, but in the third he was facing away from me, I was about twenty feet away and I unloaded a 15 round mag on auto at him... and missed. He turned and nailed me with a single shot.

Damn, I need to get some practice :roll:
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:18 pm I just had a mixed session. One round I did really well, got in close to the center with less than two dozen opponents left. I was entering a building and made my usual move, open door, go in and then spin round and close door. I got shot as I was closing the door :cry:. New lesson learned, never turn your back to the room till you clear it.

However, my 64 year old self has emerged. I lost three rounds where I actually had a drop on the other guy. Two were somewhat close, but in the third he was facing away from me, I was about twenty feet away and I unloaded a 15 round mag on auto at him... and missed. He turned and nailed me with a single shot.

Damn, I need to get some practice :roll:
That sounds about on par with what all of us deal with. :lol:

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Just a heads up, I probably won't be on tonight, so don't wait up. :wink:

edit: and now I read about the patch etc. Well that worked out nicely.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Octavious wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:15 pm The second biggest thing is to have an idea of where people dropped and where they are going. This takes the most time imho. It's rare when I get ganked by a random kar98 anymore. A. because I know where people likely will be and b. I never stop moving. Standing still is a bad idea. Laying in a spot for a long time is usually a bad. idea. Move move move. You should look like you need to pee all the time. :)
Yeah, the clearest picture of this is watching experts loot bodies they just killed. They are constantly moving while picking up stuff. If you just died, stick around to watch your killer loot. If they stop and loot, they are newbs to average players. If they are juking the whole time, finish looting in 3 seconds or less, and immediately run off, they are veteran/advanced players.

For the record, I stay moving 99% of the time, except when I loot :oops:

Whenever one of my teammates stops and just sits there to survey the terrain, I get very nervous. In their defense, they usually don't get shot in the head immediately. :lol:
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

My last match before the patch I jumped off a roof and got stuck behind a fence. :grund: The new map needs some work still. Also in the same round I watched a crate drop and just vanish. So weird...

Some other tips:
Flank, flank, flank. If you break line of sight and can flank them you still generally have an idea where they are and they have no idea where you are. Against an average player this can usually win the day.

If peeking from behind a tree QUICKLY peek and let go. If you hang your head out it will get blown off. Also vary which side you peek and the height. Peek once crouched.. Stand up peeing standing. Peek the other side etc... People will line up a headshot if you keep peeking the same spot.

In third person people can see you even if you can't see them depending on the situation. For example they are behind a tree and you are standing in a field. You have to learn to be aware of how this works and then use it to your advantage. This mode is easier to spot people in, but I find it can be a bit cheesy as you can't really sneak up on a player that knows what they are doing. I'd recommend 3rd person until you get the hang of it a bit.

Don't stand in front of windows. You will die. In third person you can stand next to the window and see out. In first person you want to peek or quickly move back and forth.

Watch Wacky Jackys videos. They are SUPER helpful and he has tips for just about everything. Some of the old videos on scopes aren't accurate anymore, but he's been adding new ones for the 1.0 release. Seriously I love the guy.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

All good tips that I 100% agree with.

Also, I can't say enough good things about wackyjacky's videos. While there are better players out there, there aren't better teachers. He takes the time, does the work, verifies it empirically, and explains it so a beginner can understand the basics. He also covers more difficult or nuanced subjects for advanced players.

His gameplay videos, he's got a very minor attitude that you find in much larger doses in other good players, but his instructional videos are all business. Which is exactly how I like things. Clear and concise, backed by facts and demonstrations.

He's my go-to video maker.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I've checked out a couple of the videos and they are pretty good. Also I appreciate his avoidance of trying to be clever or "cool", he just get the information across. Something else I've acquired as I've grown older is less and less tolerance for showoffs and loud types.

Oops, I just realized I had stepped up on my soapbox. I'll step down now and wait for the servers to come back up. And, dammit, I guess it's time to go back to old school mouse and keyboard instead of my X360 controller.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Yeah, I can't imagine playing this with a controller. I've been assuming the XBox guys are on separate servers to the PC guys, because how you'd balance keyboard/mouse vs. controller I have no idea. The game is extremely precise when it comes to long ranged shots, and even close range a few inches to one side or the other means you die, not your target.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Last night was kind of "bleh" in the PUBG world for me. I actually had more performance issues after the patch than before, so that was lovely. I largely played "Loot Simulator", with very little contribution to the group that I can remember, and no shots fired in both my solo games (and I had an SKS! in one). Finally, I am suspicious of both my killers in my two solo games, based on Death Cam. In the first case, the opponent was amongst some hills and couldn't see me (although might have seen me prior to the recording). I was juking behind cover and he walked up to a ridge and one-shotted me with a Kar, without any hesitation. Admittedly my movements were more parallel than perpendicular to his view, and thus less disruptive, but there was no hesitation at all. Also, the name made of lower case letters and numbers was also a flag....
In the second case, almost certain of an ESP hack. I had driven into a town, smacked my buggy up against the front of a building, jumped out, went around the corner and was gunned down. In the cam, the player was actually hiding in a blue metal transport container. You hear my vehicle, she runs out of the container, skirts around a few obstacles, aims at the corner of the building. You never see my vehicle, and she was completely out of line of sight when the recording started. I come around the corner into her sights and she auto-fires me into a puddle. Bah.