THANK YOU! 2024 Fundraising Completed - $2095 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

BSG Boardgame 2: All of this has happened before...

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

El Guapo

Re: BSG Boardgame 2: All of this has happened before...

Post by El Guapo »

One correction: Cavil's handsize is currently 0, not 5, on account of his disadvantage.

Also Apollo's is technically 3 at this point, though it will increase to five when he selects his two card types.
Black Lives Matter.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Turtle wrote:Apollo receives 1 Supercrisis card. He must now choose one human player to pass all his remaining loyalty cards to.
What is this move for? I've read this in the rules, but it's unclear to me why this happens. They have no effect on the recipient, right? So what's the point?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Grundbegriff wrote:
Turtle wrote:Apollo receives 1 Supercrisis card. He must now choose one human player to pass all his remaining loyalty cards to.
What is this move for? I've read this in the rules, but it's unclear to me why this happens. They have no effect on the recipient, right? So what's the point?
Theoretically stessier could have drawn both cylon cards. His unrevealed one would go to someone else and make them a cylon. presumably this is to diminish the cylons getting screwed in such a scenario.
Black Lives Matter.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

El Guapo wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote:
Theoretically stessier could have drawn both cylon cards. His unrevealed one would go to someone else and make them a cylon. presumably this is to diminish the cylons getting screwed in such a scenario.
So you're saying the recipient could be converted into a Cylon by that?
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

El Guapo wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote:
Yep. Happened for me once. I got both cards, revealed and converted the Admiral to my side right before an important jump - which then went poorly for the humans.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

The rule listed in the first post for this game about not doing the loyalty hand off after 6 distance was a house rule for the group I pulled this text from. We will play it that way. But I'll reevaluate that for the next game when I add in the Exodus expansion.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Apollo will take an Engineering and Piloting card.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Turtle wrote:The rule listed in the first post for this game about not doing the loyalty hand off after 6 distance was a house rule for the group I pulled this text from. We will play it that way. But I'll reevaluate that for the next game when I add in the Exodus expansion.
Seems reasonable. I'd wager that the rule came about because a cylon revealed on the last turn shortly before a human victory, and someone got upset because they went from the winning team to the losing team and couldn't do anything about it (nor did they have a shot to prevent the humans from winning).
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I'm going to play my Super Crisis. I'd like to hear which option Chaos thinks I should pick.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
stessier

Post by stessier »

stessier wrote:I'm going to play my Super Crisis. I'd like to hear which option Chaos thinks I should pick.
Heh - nevermind. President chooses. This should be interesting.

Okay - playing the Super Crisis.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote:
stessier wrote:I'm going to play my Super Crisis. I'd like to hear which option Chaos thinks I should pick.
Heh - nevermind. President chooses. This should be interesting.

Okay - playing the Super Crisis.
Well...don't keep us in suspense. Post what the Super Crisis is! :P
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote:Well...don't keep us in suspense. Post what the Super Crisis is! :P
Fine, fine, fine. Meatbags - always so impatient!

Psychological Warfare
President Chooses
-1 Morale, each player discards 2 skill cards and draws 2 Treachery cards.
OR
Each revealed Cylon player draws 2 Treachery Cards. Then, discard the entire destiny deck and build a new one consisting of only 6 Treachery cards.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Interesting. I'm inclined to support picking the first option, though I want to think about it some more. I have low cards to toss so that wouldn't be a big loss from my perspective. The -1 morale isn't a big deal since we have plenty of it. There's only one more cylon out there that we don't know about (and I have a fairly strong suspicion as to who it is) so the possibilities for additional hidden sabotage aren't great. Plus there's that one card that makes all treachery cards count positive (although I think it's a 'reckless' card).

So I think the penalties that we'd get on skill checks under the first option are less than the penalties that we'd get under the second option, where we'd be essentially guaranteed that both destiny cards would hurt us for three skill checks.

One question: "each player" under the first option includes each revealed cylon player, right? So Apollo and Cavil would also discard and draw?

Honestly, this isn't nearly as bad as I was fearing. Some "super" crisis, you worthless hunk of metal!
Black Lives Matter.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I'd go with the 2nd option as discarding treachery allows Cylons to play cards that damage Galactica and using them in skillchecks that are reckless trigger them - thus a Cylon could make a skill check reckless simply to set off the treachery cards. The second option simply means we are aware that the next three skill checks will be negatively impacted by the Destiny deck. I think this will hurt less in the long run than each of us trying to ditch the 2 cards we would draw (and the eadditional cost of 2 cards apiece spent to "gain" those treachery cards).

I'm not overly worried about the Crisis at this point as long as they have jump symbols. With Baltar going next - and iirc he said he had a repair. We should have an operational Engine room on his turn.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Revealed Cylons typically are not impacted by Crisis so I would think the "each player" only means those of us in the human fleet area - the Humans and the one concealed Cylon.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Yeah, I can repair the engine room next turn if thats what everyone wants.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Remus West wrote:I'd go with the 2nd option as discarding treachery allows Cylons to play cards that damage Galactica and using them in skillchecks that are reckless trigger them - thus a Cylon could make a skill check reckless simply to set off the treachery cards. The second option simply means we are aware that the next three skill checks will be negatively impacted by the Destiny deck. I think this will hurt less in the long run than each of us trying to ditch the 2 cards we would draw (and the eadditional cost of 2 cards apiece spent to "gain" those treachery cards).

I'm not overly worried about the Crisis at this point as long as they have jump symbols. With Baltar going next - and iirc he said he had a repair. We should have an operational Engine room on his turn.
Good points per usual - I forgot that discarding treachery cards can set them off. Actually there is one benefit to the second option that I didn't realize at first - our hidden cylon doesn't have treachery card. Next turn Cavil doesn't have any cards at all. And Apollo can only contribute one card to skill checks now, right? So if on Baltar's crisis negative non-treachery cards show up then that shows sabotage and should drastically limit the suspects (which are fairly low in number to begin with).

We can't necessarily count on Baltar to repair the engine, though - I think the remaining cylon has to be either him or Dee. So I'm not sure we should rest our plans on that.

One other benefit to the second option is that if Baltar is a cylon and if he reveals on his turn, then Cavil would lose the two cards he draws here, which would mitigate some of the harm from that. And if he doesn't then we get a repaired engine (most likely).
Black Lives Matter.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I'm not counting on Baltar but I did want to double check that he could repair it for us (nothing we could do had he posted "screw you guys I'm helping with nothing" then revealed on his turn). I agree with the final Cylon being either him or Dee. We do need that Engine room repaired asap though. 3 turns with it repaired and activated is all we need to win.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Ok I'm leaning more towards the second option too, though I'd be fine with either. One question: there's no way for the treachery cards in the destiny deck to make a check reckless, right? That has to be through pre-check cards?
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Just looked at the rules - the destiny deck cannot make a skill check reckless. HOWEVER, treachery cards revealed in a reckless skill check cause their negative effects. So the cylons could make the next three skill checks reckless (if they have the cards), and then use any negative effects thereof that come out of the destiny deck.

That's disconcerting.
Black Lives Matter.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

An unrevealed or infiltrating Cylon can make the check reckless, setting off one copy of any treachry trigger in the check. Revealed Cylons may not play the text of nontreachery cards. Meaning the unrevealed could make the next three reckless with precheck and trigger those added by the destiny deck. Or by any players.
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

El Guapo wrote:Just looked at the rules - the destiny deck cannot make a skill check reckless. HOWEVER, treachery cards revealed in a reckless skill check cause their negative effects. So the cylons could make the next three skill checks reckless (if they have the cards), and then use any negative effects thereof that come out of the destiny deck.

That's disconcerting.
Revealed Cylons can not make a skill check reckless as they can not use the text on the cards.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

ah. This is good to know. And if our unrevealed cylon made a check reckless that would make them obvious and we could promptly brig/execute him or her. So that probably wouldn't happen more than once.

That makes me feel better.
Black Lives Matter.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Given that option, the unrevealed would simply make the next three reckless, throw in negative cards, and trust the humans are too busy trying to make the jump icons to waste their turn.
"Where are you off to?"
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

stessier

Post by stessier »

Or our Fearless leader could infiltrate to wreak some havoc as well.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Fair enough. Though in any event after the first reckless check we'd know who the hidden cylon is, and have the option but not the obligation to throw said cylon out the airlock depending upon our priorities. :)
Black Lives Matter.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

stessier wrote:Or our Fearless leader could infiltrate to wreak some havoc as well.
heh. Perhaps the MechaXO treachery card! Revealed cylons may take two actions...
"Where are you off to?"

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Chaosraven wrote:
stessier wrote:Or our Fearless leader could infiltrate to wreak some havoc as well.
heh. Perhaps the MechaXO treachery card! Revealed cylons may take two actions...
Is there a treachery card that does that?
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote:
Chaosraven wrote:
Is there a treachery card that does that?
Multiple ones! :twisted:
stessier

Post by stessier »

See, this is why I let Turtle reveal stuff.

Was I supposed to move before playing the Supercrisis?
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

stessier wrote:See, this is why I let Turtle reveal stuff.

You had to move to be able to play it. You can not play Super Crisis cards from the resurrection ship.

BTW, from the OP:
Treachery
  • Broadcast Location - Reckless Skill Check: Place 1 basestar in front of Galactica and 1 civilian ship behind Galactica. Only 1 of this ability may be resolved in each Skill Check. [8 x Strength 1]
  • By Your Command - Reckless Skill Check: Activate all Raiders, Heavy Raiders, and Occupation Forces (but not Centurions). Only 1 of this ability may be resolved in each Skill Check. [4 x Strength 1]
  • Special Destiny - Reckless Skill Check: Each player draws 1 Treachery Skill Card. Only 1 of this ability may be resolved in each Skill Check. [5 x Strength 2]
  • God’s Plan - Movement: Exchange this card with the top card of the Destiny Deck. [3 x Strength 2]
  • Sabotage - Play when a human player discards a Treachery Skill Card. Damage Galactica once. Only 1 "Sabotage" card may be used per turn. [4 x Strength 3]
  • Human Weakness - Action: If at least one human player is in the "Brig" or "Detention Center", reduce the highest resource by 1. [2 x Strength 3]
So stop lying regarding what treachery cards can do.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote:See, this is why I let Turtle reveal stuff.

You're supposed to move before acting.

As far as I'm concerned you can pick your movement now. As Remus says I suppose you have to. Edit: looking at the locations you can only play your super crisis from Caprica. So...welcome to scenic Caprica!
Last edited by El Guapo on Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

None of those treachery cards seems all that bad under the circumstances in the hands of the cylons. So yeah, I'm more and more leaning towards option 2.
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Remus West wrote:So stop lying regarding what treachery cards can do.
But, but - psychological warfare was played!
stessier

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote:As far as I'm concerned you can pick your movement now. As Remus says I suppose you have to. Edit: looking at the locations you can only play your super crisis from Caprica. So...welcome to scenic Caprica!
Ah, well okay then!
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

El Guapo wrote:None of those treachery cards seems all that bad under the circumstances in the hands of the cylons. So yeah, I'm more and more leaning towards option 2.
From my perspective, Sabotage is the worst as it gives them a chance to take out the FTL or the Engine Room (post repair). Thus we do not want to end up with treachery cards in hand to attempt to discard. Which means taking the 2nd option.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Remus West wrote:
El Guapo wrote:None of those treachery cards seems all that bad under the circumstances in the hands of the cylons. So yeah, I'm more and more leaning towards option 2.
From my perspective, Sabotage is the worst as it gives them a chance to take out the FTL or the Engine Room (post repair). Thus we do not want to end up with treachery cards in hand to attempt to discard. Which means taking the 2nd option.
Fair enough. Under what circumstances would we *have* to discard treachery cards if we had them? I suppose if we only had treachery cards and the crisis forces a discard. Any others?

In any event I'm persuaded on option 2.
Black Lives Matter.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

El Guapo wrote:
Remus West wrote:
Fair enough. Under what circumstances would we *have* to discard treachery cards if we had them? I suppose if we only had treachery cards and the crisis forces a discard. Any others?

In any event I'm persuaded on option 2.
I'm thinking thattrading two cards I currently have for two treachery cards is a use of the Engine room I can not do without discarding the treachery. Or movement between ships.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

basically I don't want to be stuck needing to discard a card to do an action and be limited to treachery cards. Nothing really "forces" discards save Crisis outcomes potentially.