GamingTrend offline for a short time

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Ron Burke

Re: GamingTrend offline for a short time

Post by Ron Burke »

The Preacher wrote:
Ron Burke wrote:Just got a note from my server management folks - "This is almost done ".

I don't know what that means exactly, but here's to hoping. :pop:
Good luck, Ron. I'm sure the high pay compensates for the constant work. ;)

To quote Mr. Jack Burton : "Checks in the mail" :mrgreen:
Ron Burke
Director of Gaming Trend
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Ron Burke wrote:Just got a note from my server management folks - "This is almost done ".

I don't know what that means exactly, but here's to hoping. :pop:
Done as in "finished" or done as in "there's smoke coming out the back of the box and we're about to release the Halon"?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jeff Jones

Post by Jeff Jones »

Hmm, where have I heard that phrase before? :mrgreen:

Waiting anxiously. I have people guiding me through my first war in Civ4 BTS!
Xbox Live: JTJ66
Windows95

Post by Windows95 »

I just wanted to tell you good luck...we're all counting on you.

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

wonderpug wrote:Week 3, day 2 went a lot better than 3.1 did. I bumped myself down a tier to the 21-25 pushup range and it was the perfect difficulty for me.
Same. The expected workout was just too close to my exhaustion test.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
PR_GMR

Post by PR_GMR »

wonderpug wrote:
PR_GMR wrote:Hopefully, GT will be back up soon. What will happen to the onehundredpushups challenge then? I just performed my exhaustion test after week 2 and got 39. Just a slight improvement over my initial 33 a couple of weeks ago, but I'll take it.
You seem to be almost exactly at the same pace as I am. I'll be curious to hear if your week 3 day 1 is as brutal as mine was.
Week 3/Day 1 for me today.. and yes, Wonderpug, it was brutal. The program kicked my ass. I did 25/25 17/17 17/17 15/15 but I hit the wall on the last set and only managed 18/25. I was fresh too; did them first thing this morning. I guess this set was just too front-loaded. By the time the last set came my arms were 'Are you (radio edit) me?!'
Follow me as I make films at: xterminatingangel.com
"Don't waste your time or time will waste you."--Muse, 'Knights Of Cydonia'
Fear the Wiki!
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

Canuck wrote:Yes I could also use a little GT love right now :( How will I know if Blackjack (hawk?) has posted any new information regarding the MSI Wind?
I want to get back to arguing over the ease of updating the BIOS on a Wind!!!! :horse: :lol:

I spent 3 1/2 hours in a fun AoC instance last night, and GT's the only place I'm comfortable sharing those details. I'm bursting with information on today's AoC patch/update. But, all dressed up and nowhere to go. :(

Also, I'm planning to catch a midnight show of The Dark Knight next Thursday, I hope the forum's back up by then. :pop:
Ron Burke

Post by Ron Burke »

Update:

Got an extensive note from my server management company. They've secured the server and are working on the restores at this point.
Ron Burke
Director of Gaming Trend
IkeVandergraaf

Post by IkeVandergraaf »

Yes, but at this point what will happen to the community?

I will never come back.

Nah, just fucking around.
Compliment of the season to you!
Ike Vandergraaf
See An Inconvenient Truth.
XBox 360 Gamer Tag = IkeV
purge

Post by purge »

Tango Down.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not offended.
Please be patient - I will get to you shortly.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

IkeVandergraaf wrote:Yes, but at this point what will happen to the community?
At this point it's no longer about the downtime but about the lack of information. Hourly updates? Are we just supposed to sit tight for those 59 minutes and assume things are still on track? I've even noticed Ron disappearing for 7-8 hours a time, every night.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Where's the link to the webcam showing his server room? Then we could at least see furniture being moved around occasionally.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Ron Burke wrote:Update:

Got an extensive note from my server management company. They've secured the server and are working on the restores at this point.

"They've secured the server"
Does this mean they had to go to Radio Shack and buy one? Or steal one from Qt3?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

blackjack wrote: I spent 3 1/2 hours in a fun AoC instance last night, and GT's the only place I'm comfortable sharing those details.
That's just weird. It's practically the exact same community, except OO has less of a console focus and a vastly more intelligent P&R forum.
Jeff Jones

Post by Jeff Jones »

wonderpug wrote:
IkeVandergraaf wrote:Yes, but at this point what will happen to the community?
At this point it's no longer about the downtime but about the lack of information. Hourly updates? Are we just supposed to sit tight for those 59 minutes and assume things are still on track? I've even noticed Ron disappearing for 7-8 hours a time, every night.
That's bullshit. He should turn over the forum (and site) to someone who cares. I hear there are some Canadians who will give updates every 30 minutes and shun sleep altogether.
Xbox Live: JTJ66
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

cheeba wrote:
blackjack wrote: I spent 3 1/2 hours in a fun AoC instance last night, and GT's the only place I'm comfortable sharing those details.
That's just weird. It's practically the exact same community, except OO has less of a console focus and a vastly more intelligent P&R forum.
That's not a slight on Octopus -- I know nothing about this place (other than it being a popular hangout for some fellow former Gone Gold refugees), and I haven't ever posted here before. I registered here mainly so I could chime in on this thread. :)

I'm just saying I've grown fond of GT, comfortable I can express my opinions and enthusiasm there without being called an idiot or even having my posts removed (which has happened to me at some other places). I don't know how much I miss something until it's gone (even temporarily). :wub:
JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

cheeba wrote:
Practically the same exact community!? They part their hair on the right; dot their "i's" with little hearts, are fond of saying "rah -ther" in fake British accents, and insist on tracking your time spent online and telling everbody. They read your posts and respond as if you had something worth adding to the discussion, we ignore posts except to refute or mock them. We're like that alternate Star Trek Universe compared to GT.
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013
kathode

Post by kathode »

I only just now realized that for ages and ages instead of simply bookmarking OO.com, I had OO.com/frontpage bookmarked, and I've been trying it for days wondering why other people were saying it worked when it clearly didn't for me. Doh!
rickfc

Post by rickfc »

cheeba wrote: ...vastly more intelligent P&R forum.
Now, are you saying that just because there are more people on GT that disagree with your points of view? That's a slight on GT and the community and I call for war! :mrgreen:
PeteRock

Post by PeteRock »

blackjack wrote:Also, I'm planning to catch a midnight show of The Dark Knight next Thursday, I hope the forum's back up by then. :pop:
I purchased my midnight show tickets last night. Thursday night, 12:01am, the Harkins Theater at the new Santan Village Marketplace. Work productivity be damned.
Fly Eagles fly, on the road to victory.
Fight Eagles fight, score a touchdown 1-2-3.

Hit 'em low,
Hit 'em high,
And we'll watch our Eagles fly.

E-A-G-L-E-S...........EAGLES!
rickfc

Post by rickfc »

PeteRock wrote:
I purchased my midnight show tickets last night. Thursday night, 12:01am, the Harkins Theater at the new Santan Village Marketplace. Work productivity be damned.
We're still debating whether to do a midnight show or wait til a Saturday matinee
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

rickfc wrote:Now, are you saying that just because there are more people on GT that disagree with your points of view? That's a slight on GT and the community and I call for war! :mrgreen:
Hehe no, there are lots of people who disagree with me here. There are lots of people who disagree with me everywhere for some odd reason ;). It's just on GT the attacks get surprisingly personal surprisingly fast, due to a couple bad eggs we luckily don't have here.
PeteRock

Post by PeteRock »

rickfc wrote:
PeteRock wrote:
We're still debating whether to do a midnight show or wait til a Saturday matinee
I won't be able to wait. Erectile dysfunction medications provide direction on what to do if the resultant condition lasts for more than 24 hours. But what about when the condition is due to anticipation of The Dark Knight?

Hit 'em low,
Hit 'em high,

rickfc

Post by rickfc »

cheeba wrote: Hehe no, there are lots of people who disagree with me here. There are lots of people who disagree with me everywhere for some odd reason ;). It's just on GT the attacks get surprisingly personal surprisingly fast, due to a couple bad eggs we luckily don't have here.
I haven't read much through the forums here, so I'll have to take your word for it. :)
PeteRock wrote:
I won't be able to wait. Erectile dysfunction medications provide direction on what to do if the resultant condition lasts for more than 24 hours. But what about when the condition is due to anticipation of The Dark Knight?
I may have to say this verbatim to my wife and see what she says. Other than mocking me for having a hard-on for a movie.
Ron Burke

Post by Ron Burke »

Oh now come the fuck on...this is just WRONG!

First the server and now my lunch?! I picked up some of those little turkey wraps from costco and brought 4 of them for lunch so I could eat and work on the server during lunch. Somebody ate HALF of my lunch. Why not the whole thing? Why not throw the rest away to remove the evidence? Why HALF? Did you bring it in? No? Then don't eat it. Seriously, that's as fucked up as a football-bat.

Bunch of savages in this town...
Ron Burke
Director of Gaming Trend
Kraegor

Post by Kraegor »

maybe it was the server. was the gerbil cage properly secured?
rickfc

Post by rickfc »

Ron Burke wrote:Oh now come the fuck on...this is just WRONG!

First the server and now my lunch?! I picked up some of those little turkey wraps from costco and brought 4 of them for lunch so I could eat and work on the server during lunch. Somebody ate HALF of my lunch. Why not the whole thing? Why not throw the rest away to remove the evidence? Why HALF? Did you bring it in? No? Then don't eat it. Seriously, that's as fucked up as a football-bat.

Dude...that's all kinds of wrong...someone deserves a karate chop to the ovaries...
purge

Post by purge »

PeteRock wrote: I won't be able to wait. Erectile dysfunction medications provide direction on what to do if the resultant condition lasts for more than 24 hours. But what about when the condition is due to anticipation of The Dark Knight?
Christian Bale in a skin-tight Batman suit gives you a hard-on? I'd suggest the remedy is a purchased bullet and a rented gun... or at least setting a reasonable expectation to Mooseknuckle that the marriage may not last :P
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not offended.
Please be patient - I will get to you shortly.
WarPig

Post by WarPig »

Maybe I don't want to come back to work there...
"Your test assignment will vary depending on the manner in which you have bent the world to your will." - Cave Johnson
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Ron Burke wrote:Bunch of savages in this town...
Has to be my favorite recurring line ever.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Jeff Jones wrote:[
That's bullshit. He should turn over the forum (and site) to someone who cares. I hear there are some Canadians who will give updates every 30 minutes and shun sleep altogether.
We only work for beef jerky.. or ham.
No.
PeteRock

Post by PeteRock »

First the server and now my lunch?! I picked up some of those little turkey wraps from costco and brought 4 of them for lunch so I could eat and work on the server during lunch. Somebody ate HALF of my lunch. Why not the whole thing? Why not throw the rest away to remove the evidence? Why HALF?
Because the wraps sucked so much that I could barely choke down what I did. Evidence was allowed to remain to show you just how suck-ass they were.

I can't believe you expect me to eat that swill. PeteRock demands better.

Hit 'em low,
Hit 'em high,

Ron Burke

Post by Ron Burke »

PeteRock wrote:

First the server and now my lunch?! I picked up some of those little turkey wraps from costco and brought 4 of them for lunch so I could eat and work on the server during lunch. Somebody ate HALF of my lunch. Why not the whole thing? Why not throw the rest away to remove the evidence? Why HALF?
Because the wraps sucked so much that I could barely choke down what I did. Evidence was allowed to remain to show you just how suck-ass they were.

I can't believe you expect me to eat that swill. PeteRock demands better.
I must bow my head then. Clearly next time I need to also have an array of wines available for you to sample and chose to go with the food. What wine goes with absconded turkey/swiss wraps?

Oh, and I couldn't find any ham to bribe those folks from Canada (America's Hat) - all I could find was something called "Canadian Bacon"...whatever the hell that is.
Ron Burke
Director of Gaming Trend
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Ron Burke wrote:Oh, and I couldn't find any ham to bribe those folks from Canada (America's Hat) - all I could find was something called "Canadian Bacon"...whatever the hell that is.
Back bacon rocks. Get it on an egg sandwich or a hamburger. You won't regret it.
Ron Burke

Post by Ron Burke »

Here Pete - I offer this as an apology:

http://odeo.com/episodes/397590" target="_blank

That'd be the Scala Girls Choir covering one of your favorite songs.
Ron Burke
Director of Gaming Trend
PeteRock

Post by PeteRock »

Ron Burke wrote:I must bow my head then. Clearly next time I need to also have an array of wines available for you to sample and chose to go with the food. What wine goes with absconded turkey/swiss wraps?
The "rules" say a crisp white, but I am an advocate of drinking what you like, so a reasonable Oregon Pinot Noir would be ideal. Price is no object. That is unless my wife is sitting nearby. :ninja:
LordMortis wrote:
Ron Burke wrote:Oh, and I couldn't find any ham to bribe those folks from Canada (America's Hat) - all I could find was something called "Canadian Bacon"...whatever the hell that is.
Back bacon rocks. Get it on an egg sandwich or a hamburger. You won't regret it.
Please. Pork roll, egg, and cheese trumps all. But only grizzled Jersey-ans are familiar with such a delicacy.

Hit 'em low,
Hit 'em high,

Ron Burke

Post by Ron Burke »

Site is rising from the grave. Some stuff is taking a bit of time to repopulate. Working on the forums now. Shouldn't be long...
Ron Burke
Director of Gaming Trend
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Ron Burke wrote:Site is rising from the grave. Some stuff is taking a bit of time to repopulate. Working on the forums now. Shouldn't be long...
Who is Ron Burke and why is he using Knightshade Dragon's avatar?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

cheeba wrote:
rickfc wrote:Now, are you saying that just because there are more people on GT that disagree with your points of view? That's a slight on GT and the community and I call for war! :mrgreen:
Hehe no, there are lots of people who disagree with me here. There are lots of people who disagree with me everywhere for some odd reason ;). It's just on GT the attacks get surprisingly personal surprisingly fast, due to a couple bad eggs we luckily don't have here.
Those eggs were banned here. As a result our R&P threads seldom degenerate into the name-calling that appears to be the norm in your P&R.
Ron Burke

Post by Ron Burke »

Site is back up and stable. I need to recover our smiley data, but that's no biggie - I have those backed up as you might imagine. :)

A big thanks to the OO folks for being good sports and reciprocating the love during our time of crisis.
Ron Burke
Director of Gaming Trend