THANK YOU! 2024 Fundraising Completed - $2095 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Arkham Horror II: Investigator victory declared!

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Remus West

Re: Arkham Horror II: Turn 1 Encounters and Mythos posted

Post by Remus West »

I prefer the retainer to the loan since the loan require continual pay back and if you can not you lose stuff. I'd head for the paper if you want income or Hibbs if you are hoping to score some cash as a quick burst (although I'm not sure how much of a burst encounters really give so I'd likely go to the paper either way).

Did I keep my retainer? I couldn't find where you wrote that up.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Remus West wrote:
Yes you did (no roll needed on turn 1). Upkeep rolls are the very first thing in the encounter post.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

my apologies I just got out of work. I will finalize my turn asap.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

ok Ill switch my speed to 4 and sneak to 2 fight 2 and will 2 lore 3 luck 2
Ill then move to the library and face an encounter.

If wargus doesnt clean up the 2 baddies outside my door Im assuming that I will encounter whats left and my turn ends with that encounter?
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

i am hoping tonight gives me a good spell so we can fight off the dudes in the far left hand part of the board. otherwise am not sure what to do.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

rshetts2 wrote:
If wargus doesnt clean up the 2 baddies outside my door Im assuming that I will encounter whats left and my turn ends with that encounter?
If the monsters are still there you will get the choice to try and evade (sneak roll) them or stay and fight. If you choose to evade and are successful then you will make the rest of your move normally.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

cool as long as one of them is gone Ill try to clean the remaining one up. Have to use my magic sometime eh? After all I am The Amazing Dexter, Lord of Illusions!.... or is that delusions? I guess we shall find out.
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

Sorry all. I was stuck today with only my phone for internet access. My phone plays nice with GT, but not so nice with OO. :(

I will finalize my orders in about an hour or so.

In the interim, a few questions for Gryndyl and/or the game vets:

1. If I do go to The Witch House, will I have the chance to refocus while I'm in the gate or will I come out of the gate with the same stats as I do going in? (That might make me decide to take two turns to get there, rather than one).
2. After I have my shot at sealing the gate, will I then fight the two monsters in The Witch House, or will I get a chance to sneak past them?
3. Gryndyl, you mention that my Elder Sign will require a fight or lore roll to be made. Will I know which one ahead of time, or is it a random chance which will be rolled?
4. I know Wargus said "Go for it. What's the worst that could happen?" However, is it a wise play for the good of the whole team? Being new, does Amanda have a good shot at sealing the gate? Or would it be a suicide mission most likely?

Thanks for any help (sorry to be so needy, but I'm having a ball learning the game).

Back in an hour or so to finalize my turn.
If we shadows have offended, think but this and all is mended
That you have but slumber'd here while these visions did appear
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

I think I know this one! ( Im a n00b at this as well )

2. After I have my shot at sealing the gate, will I then fight the two monsters in The Witch House, or will I get a chance to sneak past them?

You should get to choose whether you want to fight or sneak. Im not real sure of the gate mechanics yet though so Im probably way off.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

You will spend a couple turns in the other realm. You will get to alter your focus each of those turns. Goes like this:
1) Set stats - move to gate get sucked through to other realm (token moved to first space of other realm) - have encounter in other realm
2) Set stats - move to step two of other realm - have encounter in other realm
3) Set stats - move back into Arkham

On your return to Arkam you may ignore the monster that first turn IF you remain in place (which you need to do to close/seal the gate). Any turn after that or should you attempt to leave the space with the monsters you will need to either sneak past them or fight them.

One benefit of closing/sealing gates is that any monster of the same type (monsters and gates all of symbols attached that show when the monsters move and to which gate they are matched) gets sucked back where it came from (removed from the board) so if you get lucky and the monsters in your spot are attached to your gate when you close it they go away. Don't plan on being that lucky.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Qantaga wrote: 1. If I do go to The Witch House, will I have the chance to refocus while I'm in the gate or will I come out of the gate with the same stats as I do going in? (That might make me decide to take two turns to get there, rather than one).
You can refocus on any upkeep phase, regardless of where you're at.
You will get a chance to sneak past them. Works like this:
Turn A: Upkeep Phase; Movement phase: return from gate; Encounter Phase: attempt to seal gate.
Turn B: Upkeep Phase; Movement phase: may attempt to evade or fight any monsters that are there.
3. Gryndyl, you mention that my Elder Sign will require a fight or lore roll to be made. Will I know which one ahead of time, or is it a random chance which will be rolled?
It's your choice.
4. I know Wargus said "Go for it. What's the worst that could happen?" However, is it a wise play for the good of the whole team? Being new, does Amanda have a good shot at sealing the gate? Or would it be a suicide mission most likely?
Any character has a reasonable chance of of surviving in an Other World and successfully returning in order to try and seal a gate. Other World encounters can certainly be dangerous, yes, and part of it all comes down to luck of the draw. The more capable you are at surviving combat the better, naturally, but often a character can transverse an Other World with no combat at all. Your Dread Curse of Azathoth spell is arguably the most powerful combat spell in the game and your Obsidian Statue is quite capable of helping you survive anything too nasty. You are currently the most combat capable character on the spellcasting side of the spectrum and are capable of dealing out more hurt than McGlen's Tommy gun is.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Qantaga wrote:3. Gryndyl, you mention that my Elder Sign will require a fight or lore roll to be made. Will I know which one ahead of time, or is it a random chance which will be rolled?
I did not check your stuff but if you have an Elder Sign it just works. No roll needed. You simply spend 1 stamina and 1 sanity and seal the gate. You also get to remove a token from the doom track (this does not happen when using clues to seal a gate) which is a HUGE bonus as it slows down waking the old cranky one.

Normally when attempting to close a gate you would make a roll versus your fight or lore (your choice) with any gate stats impacting that roll (from +1 to -3 iirc). You roll however many dice you then get and need a single success to close it. Close a gate and spend 5 clues allows you to seal it.

The difference between simply closing a gate versus sealing it is that when you close a gate a new one could open there. If you seal it then there will never be another gate opened at that location (which is big since that gives us the chance of having a turn where no gate opens and we do not have to endure a monster surge if the card would have opened a gate in the sealed location).

For example, lets say you close a gate in the Unnamable. The next turn the card calls for a gate to open in the Unnamable. We get a new gate with fresh monsters.

Now, say you seal said gate instead of simply closing. The next turn the card calls for a gate to open in the Unnamable and we get to ignore it.

If a gate is called to open where there is already an open gate we get a monster surge (8 new monsters come through the open gates to Arkham) but do not get a new gate.

Other than hitting a sealed gate or having a monster surge we will get a new gate each turn. If we have to many open (5?) the old cranky dude awakens and kicks all of our asses.

Both monsters in the witch house are high threat so I'm not sure you want to go there. That said, if Machine-gun Tommy opens the streets so you can get into the Woods I would definitely suggest going there ASAP.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Remus West wrote:
Qantaga wrote:3. Gryndyl, you mention that my Elder Sign will require a fight or lore roll to be made. Will I know which one ahead of time, or is it a random chance which will be rolled?
I did not check your stuff but if you have an Elder Sign it just works. No roll needed. You simply spend 1 stamina and 1 sanity and seal the gate. You also get to remove a token from the doom track (this does not happen when using clues to seal a gate) which is a HUGE bonus as it slows down waking the old cranky one.
The Elder Sign that he has is a 'Parchment of the Elder Sign' from the expansion. It's difference is that it does require the player to make the roll. Still removes a doom token, though.
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

Thank you for all the replies!

I'm back and thinking things over...
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

Remus West wrote:Both monsters in the witch house are high threat so I'm not sure you want to go there. That said, if Machine-gun Tommy opens the streets so you can get into the Woods I would definitely suggest going there ASAP.

That sounds like a good call.

Unfortunately, my old Calc prof would be sad (silly me, misread Sarah as giving me one more point (misjudged that I could take Speed to 5) rather than one more overall focus adjustment). I only have 4 moves, so I can't get to The Witch House or The Woods this turn. :(

Remus, did you decide if you're going to The Black Cave for the clues or staying in the Graveyard?

I think my plan is to move:

Independence Square --> Downtown --> Merchant Square --> Miskatonic University --> Library

I'll ammend to The Black Cave, if Remus is staying in the Graveyard.

This way, I'll be in position to get to The Woods or The Witch House on the next turn.

Set:

Speed/Sneak 4/1
Fight/Will 2/3
Lore/Luck 2/3
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Qantaga wrote:Remus, did you decide if you're going to The Black Cave for the clues or staying in the Graveyard?
Since you already have a method to seal a gate I am going to go ahead and grab the clues so that I can get closer to the magic 5 and be able to jump into a gate soon too. So I am going to go ahead to the black cave.
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

Remus West wrote:
Qantaga wrote:Remus, did you decide if you're going to The Black Cave for the clues or staying in the Graveyard?
Since you already have a method to seal a gate I am going to go ahead and grab the clues so that I can get closer to the magic 5 and be able to jump into a gate soon too. So I am going to go ahead to the black cave.

Perfect. I'll proceed to the Library and be poised to enter a gate next turn.
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

Amanda and Sarah huddle together, afraid to speak in more than the barest of whispers.

Sarah tells Amanda of hearing gunfire coming from Downtown. Amanda then tells Sarah of seeing the man with the fedora pulled low over his brow, holding the smoldering machine-gun and standing over the corpses just outside of the Bank.

They know they cannot stay here in Independence Square. Already, they are feeling the (real or imaginary) stares of creatures skittering among the shadows.

(Amanda even hears a deep, slushing sound that must be made by a creature of unimaginable size moving wetly closer and closer. She does not share this observation with Sarah.)

They hook arms and move slowly Downtown. As they arrive, they notice the mysterious stranger still standing over the prone bodies and staring down at them, as if in a trance. They move silently into the Merchant District, leaving him to contemplate his own demons.

The Merchant District is bright. Lights illuminate the deepest reaches of the street, so the young women clutch each other closely and move as one down the center of the street.

Finally, they make their way onto the campus of Miskatonic University. They both, unknowingly, breathe a sigh of relief. This feels like home. They welcome the gardens, the academic buildings, and the walkways as they would long lost companions. As one, they look up and there it is...

The Library.

As if they have been drawn here (hopefully, by forces of good and not ill), they know they have reached their destination. While a distant sense of foreboding tugs gently at the corners of their minds, a deeper, more primal feeling of peace engulfs them and they feel confident that they've arrived exactly where they need to be at this precise moment.

Together, they make their way up the stone steps and push their way into the meager glow of the Library's foyer...
Wargus

Post by Wargus »

Gryndyl, I'll use the eye, placing 3 stamina on that for the +3 boost this turn.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Have everyone's moves except for Chaosraven. I'll go ahead and start sending out encounter PMs today.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Gryndyl wrote:Have everyone's moves except for Chaosraven. I'll go ahead and start sending out encounter PMs today.
He has the day off so he is likely taking advantage of a kidless house to catch up on sleep he never gets (or catch up on time with Chaosfaerie). If he is sleeping it will be a few hours at least before he checks in. If he is spending time with the wife he should be here any second now. :P
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Remus West wrote:
Gryndyl wrote:Have everyone's moves except for Chaosraven. I'll go ahead and start sending out encounter PMs today.
He has the day off so he is likely taking advantage of a kidless house to catch up on sleep he never gets (or catch up on time with Chaosfaerie). If he is sleeping it will be a few hours at least before he checks in. If he is spending time with the wife he should be here any second now. :P
No worries :)
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Remus West wrote:
ok, it looks like he's catching up on sleep then.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

I am awake. I will go to whatever clue is closest that nobody else is headed for (my phone is acting wonky and resets every time I try to view the downloaded map)
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

All encounter PMs have been sent. If you didn't get one then you are home free for decision making this turn :)
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

Gryndyl wrote:All encounter PMs have been sent. If you didn't get one then you are home free for decision making this turn :)

Sweet!
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Gryndyl wrote:
Remus West wrote:
Yes you did (no roll needed on turn 1). Upkeep rolls are the very first thing in the encounter post.
This is still confusing me. I should have $8 right now since we are in turn 2 but I only show $6. I think you skipped my retainer roll and cash for turn two.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Remus West wrote:
Gryndyl wrote:
Remus West wrote:
This is still confusing me. I should have $8 right now since we are in turn 2 but I only show $6. I think you skipped my retainer roll and cash for turn two.
I haven't done the turn 2 retainer rolls/updates yet though I can see that I should as it will potentially affect how much money folks have available during the turn for things like the estate sale event.

Hmmm. S'pose I could put upkeep rolls for the following turn at the end of the prior turn's mythos phase.

In any case, yours is the only roll currently and I just made it; you passed, so you have $8 available.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Thanks. Thats what I was looking at. $8 is a potential skill or a stop at the sale. :D
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

ok someoen is taking their sweet ole time.
Bayraktar!!!!

Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Newcastle wrote:ok someoen is taking their sweet ole time.
Yeah, sorry. I've got most of the update done but got carried away with a bunch of other...ummm..."projects"* today.

*=computer games

EDIT: Finishing things up now; update will be up by noon.

EDIT 2: Eventful turn; Noon was too optimistic. Should be up by 1.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

TURN 2 ENCOUNTERS

UPKEEP:
Darrell Simmons: Retainer; Roll 4, +$2
Jenny Barnes: +$1

Michael McGlen (Wargus):
The troubles are starting again. You can feel it. You remember that long night of blood and bullets; the things that crawled. You're not sure what's behind it, but you know your role in stopping it. A night of patrolling the Arkham streets, sending a strong message: "This is MY town".
You make it all the way to Uptown before things get weird again. A malformed thing, skirting along the bushes. Huge pointed ears, fanged teeth, red eyes and a face like Fat Tony's arse. Your brain tells you "vampire", and you know just the thing for vampires. You actually read part of that Stoker book and ever since that night last year you've never left home without a bottle of holy water tucked away in your vest.
VAMPIRE: (undead, physical resistance)Evade: -3 Horror: +0, San Dam: 2, Combat: -3, Stam Dam: 3, Toughness: 2
Horror Check: Will 2 vampire +0 =2 dice. Roll: 6,6. 2 Successes. No San damage
Combat check: Fight 5 +Eye 3+holy water 6 -vampire 3= 11 dice. Roll: 6,6,5,5,5,4,4,3,2,2,1. 5 successes versus 2 toughness. Vampire defeated and gained as trophy. Holy water discarded.
The vampire makes a wretched hissing noise as it twists and burns, skin bubbling and running down its face like wax as it collapses in on itself. Lovely. You turn and find yourself face to face with something else. Something worse. Far, far worse.
Its face is black eternity, stars wheeling madly through the yawning gulfs of space. And those stars have teeth, so many teeth...
THE BLACK MAN: (Mask of Nyarlathotep, Endless)Evade: -3 Horror: - San Dam: - Combat: -, Stam Dam: 0, Toughness: 1. Pass a Luck(-1) check or be Devoured.
Luck: 1 (-1) + Eye 3=3 dice. 6,5,1. 2 successes.
The jewel thingy you found on one of the dead maniacs suddenly emits a powerful glow that surrounds you and seems to press The Black Man back and away. The shattering visions waver and fade back to the quaint Arkham streets. He speaks, his voice liquid silver, sounding slightly bemused.
"I have other pressing business to attend to. Until next time..."
He fades away into a thin shadow and then is gone.

You step off the street to collect yourself a bit. Some kind of estate sale. You pretend to be studying the items and give yourself a chance to calm down a bit. That's a guy you're hoping you don't run into any time again soon and you feel sorry for whatever poor sap he's heading off to visit. Hey, that's a nice knife!
UNIQUE ITEM: Enchanted Blade: (1 hand, magical weapon) +4 to combat checks
(-$4, +2 clues)

Darrell Simmons (Remus West):
The Black Cave. Maybe you could make this into a photo series; "Arkham's Creepiest Places", or maybe "Tourism Hotspots for the Suicidal". Somehow you doubt these photos are going to be hot items at the Arkham Chamber of Commerce.
Odd. Someone left an old book lying at the cave mouth. Or dropped it perhaps, as if they were running. You pick it up and flip through the pages. (Luck(+0). Luck 2; Roll: 5,5) Strange. Some kind of...spellbook? Really? Pretty soon you'll be able to have a sidegig as a librarian.
UNIQUE ITEM: Cultes Des Goules: Movement: Exhaust and spend 2 movement points to make a Lore (-2) check. Success: Draw 1 spell, +1 clue, -2 sanity, discard book. Fail: Nothing happens.
(+2 clues)

Jenny Barnes (Isgrimnur)
You find a student pounding on a strange device that he has hooked up to a massive conglomeration of tubes, gears and blinking lights. The mass hums and occasionally makes chirping noises. He looks up at you in surprise, his greasy hair competing with his array of zits for things most repulsive to your sensibilities.
"What on earth is that thing?" you ask, sure that you don't actually care.
"It's...uh...it's a dimensional beam machine..." Yep, you were right. Care=zero.
You notice that he appears to be addressing your chest and you pull your dark cloak around yourself in annoyance.
"Fine. What do you want me to do?" Perhaps too open ended of a question but the student seems to be having enough trouble forming words to notice the opportunity to become more repugnant.
"Just...uh...hold that valve over there closed," he tells your chest. "It keeps trying to open when I activate the machine." (Lore 3(-2)=1; Roll: 5)
You comply. He flips the switch and the machine hums to life. The hum grows in volume until you feel it through every inch of your body, buzzing and throbbing with a sharp, electrical tensity. You feel your fifteen dollar hairdo standing on end.
"Is it supposed to do that?" you yell over the cascading wall of white noise.
"I don't know! First time it's actually worked!"
Beams of light stream from every gap in the apparatus, as if some great ball of brilliant energy has formed inside. You squint and look away; the light is as intense as a camera flash and the room is filled with brilliance and flat ebony shadow, throwing everything into a weird illusion of a two dimensional image.
And then it's over. With a shocking abruptness the noise and the vibration cease, the light winks out leaving ghost images floating across your vision. There is a small explosion and a panel blows from the side of the machine in a shower of white sparks. Flames and smoke lick from inside and the air smells of ozone.The room seems very dark now, in spite of the overhead lights.
"So...what did that just do?" you ask, as he frantically beats at the flames with a towel.
"Not what I expected it to do. Not really sure."
(The machine has briefly stabilized Arkham. Both existing gates have closed. You do not gain these as trophies, but, on the plus side, no gates for the moment!)
(+1 clue)

Joe Diamond (Chaosraven)
The Silver Twilight Lodge looks rather innocuous from the outside, like a funeral home, maybe. The lobby is all wood and leather, like a cigar room. A man in a hooded robe emerges to greet you. He spends a long moment looking at you and you take the time to look right back at him.
"I've been expecting you," he says. "I believe that we may have something to offer each other. Follow me. I feel that it is time that you knew what is really behind the Order of the Silver Twilight."
You're skeptical that this guy has anything to offer that you're gonna want. You're guessing it ain't gonna be encyclopedias.
You follow him into a back room. It's large and round, black and white tiled floor, altar at one end, tapestries on the walls with strange almost masonic imagery, the great Eye of Thoth tiled into the floor. Hooded figures stand in a circle around the room, voices synchronized in a low hypnotic chant. You're pretty sure that the sign out front didn't say Arkham Asylum but maybe it's some kinda outpatient program.
The man leads you to the center of the circle and the two of you stand, facing the break in the circle where the altar is. A thin shadow appears above the altar, slowly coalescing, taking form, solidifying into a tall man with jet black skin.
His face is black eternity, stars wheeling madly through the yawning gulfs of space. And those stars have teeth, so many teeth. Illumination floods your mind in a twilight of silver.
(Luck 3 (0)=3; roll: 5,5,2. Success!)
The vision fades and The Black Man is gone. The hooded man turns to you.
"You lived. Welcome to the order, Brother."
(+3 clues)
Silver Twilight Membership: Any future encounters at the Silver Twilight Lodge will occur in the Inner Sanctum

Amanda Sharpe (Qantaga)
Amanda and Sarah huddle together, afraid to speak in more than the barest of whispers.
Sarah tells Amanda of hearing gunfire coming from Downtown. Amanda then tells Sarah of seeing the man with the fedora pulled low over his brow, holding the smoldering machine-gun and standing over the corpses just outside of the Bank.
They know they cannot stay here in Independence Square. Already, they are feeling the (real or imaginary) stares of creatures skittering among the shadows.
(Amanda even hears a deep, slushing sound that must be made by a creature of unimaginable size moving wetly closer and closer. She does not share this observation with Sarah.)
They hook arms and move slowly Downtown. As they arrive, they notice the mysterious stranger still standing over the prone bodies and staring down at them, as if in a trance. They move silently into the Merchant District, leaving him to contemplate his own demons.
The Merchant District is bright. Lights illuminate the deepest reaches of the street, so the young women clutch each other closely and move as one down the center of the street.
Finally, they make their way onto the campus of Miskatonic University. They both, unknowingly, breathe a sigh of relief. This feels like home. They welcome the gardens, the academic buildings, and the walkways as they would long lost companions. As one, they look up and there it is...
The Library.
As if they have been drawn here (hopefully, by forces of good and not ill), they know they have reached their destination. While a distant sense of foreboding tugs gently at the corners of their minds, a deeper, more primal feeling of peace engulfs them and they feel confident that they've arrived exactly where they need to be at this precise moment.
Together, they make their way up the stone steps and push their way into the meager glow of the Library's foyer...

Abigail, the librarian, stands near the entrance at a display case full of very old books, bound in leather and strapped with metal. The case is open and she is running a feather duster across them, filling the air with ancient dust. She looks up at Amanda and Sarah as they walk in and favors them with a weary smile. Both are familiar faces in the Miskatonic Library. Her gaze drops back to the case and she frowns.
"What on earth is that doing in there," she murmurs. She reaches into the case and pulls out a small, slim book, much newer looking than its neighbors. The title stands out in dark yellow against the black cover. "The King in Yellow".
Abigail looks up at the sharp hiss of Amanda's indrawn breath.
"I've heard of that before," Amanda says. "It's a play of some sort. It's been banned everywhere it's been performed."
Abigail gives the book in her hands cursory examination, looking down her nose through the tiny glasses perched there.
"Full of deviancy I imagine, which I expect is why it was in the special collection. You may check it out if you like, if you feel the need to satisfy your curiosity..."
UNIQUE ITEM: The King in Yellow: Movement: Exhaust and spend 2 movement points to make a Lore(-2) check. Success: +4 clues, -1 sanity, discard tome. Fail: Nothing happens.

Dexter Drake (rshetts2)
You sit in one of the library's overstuffed chairs, paging through your selections. The librarian is off by the entrance, talking to a couple of young women who look to be students. You lay your head back for a moment to rest your eyes from the tiny text...
You are in a valley between tall, thin, twisted mountains. Great heaps of gnawed human bones lie around, towering over you, continually clacking as bones shift and tumble down the sides. Loathsome things crawl and hop the sides of the piles, gnawing for scraps, sucking at marrow.
You hear a slithering amongst the piles and a great worm like thing rears up, bones showering down around its immensity. It's great mouth splits open and a wreath of tentacles wriggle at the black skies

(Sneak 4(-1)=3; Roll:6,2,1. Success!)
You awaken with a start, your heart pounding in your chest. You no longer feel the need for a nap.
(+3 clues)

Monterey Jack (Zurai)
You arrive in Uptown to a peaceful and quiet street. The sign for the estate sale is easy to spot. The only other customer is a suspicious looking guy in a suit and toting a violin case. He seems to be looking at knives. You give him a wide berth.
Your eye catches a strange oil lamp, straight out of 1001 tales. Always easier to get something like this at an esatte sale rather than having to crawl through some sandy tomb for it.
UNIQUE ITEM: Lamp of Alhazred: (2 hands, magical weapon) +5 to combat checks
(-$7)

Harvey Walters (Newcastle)
Back to your book.
Dzyan: (lore(-1)0 Roll: 4,1,1,1. Fail
"Blast it!" you exclaim. "This damned book..."
A security guard pokes his head through the door.
"Everything alright, professor?"
"Yes, fine," you say, impatiently. "It's just this damned book. No sense to it! How can the Servants of Glaaki immanentize the eschalon if the third gate of Xoth is still sealed by the Lock of the Black Goat? It says right there on page 842 that the Herald still wanders the Plains of Leng!"
"Ummm, sure, Professor."
"I'm quite sure that the cats of Ulthar would have something to say about this. Perhaps I shall make a point of sleeping with catnip tonight to see if they summon me. Do you think that will work? Maybe they're still too caught up in their battle with the cats of Saturn. The damned Moon Beasts have drawn that affair out interminably."
"Professor, I think I'm going to have to insist that you have a bit of a rest. Come with me please..."
You are forcibly escorted to Arkham Asylum.
The evening is late but Dr. Amadeus Arkham, the head of the Asylum, lives on the grounds. You sit and wait in his office and begin thumbing through a folder of patient interview notes on his desk. Probably not for your eyes but you're here against your will and not overly inclined to follow someone else's ridiculous rules at the moment. You're still not quite sure about this psychology stuff. Doesn't seem quite like science to you. Too much discussion of anuses and breasts. The notes do make for interesting reading, however.
(Lore 5(+0)=5; Roll: 6,6,3,2,1. 2 successes)
(+2 clues)

Game Board after Turn 2 Encounters
(click to embigify)
Enlarge Image

Gate Count: 0 Monster Count: 2 Terror Track: 0 Doom Track: 2 of 11 Gate Trophy Total: 0

GM COMMENTARY:

Phenomenal turn for you guys. All gates closed, massive clue gains, two significant monsters off the board and no less than three players succeeded at rolls where a failure would have resulted in being devoured. All the gates being closed is only a victory if you also have 8 gate trophies. You guys are about 8 short.
Last edited by Gryndyl on Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Newcastle

Re: Arkham Horror II: Turn 2 Encounters posted

Post by Newcastle »

nice job team! so do i have any permanent dmg for failing the book reading? can i sit in arkham and read up? any notable encounters would happen there? or just recoup sanity...which i dont think i've lost any right?
Bayraktar!!!!

Wargus

Post by Wargus »

Take that you cobbers! I am on a roll!

Question: I spent 3 stamina for that encounter to get the bonus to rolls per the item I have. Is that reduced to 2 stamina based upon my special ability?

Don't forget to update my stamina on the main page (or do, please!) :)
Last edited by Wargus on Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

TURN 2 MYTHOS

Students Protest Museum Exhibit
(Environment)

The students of Miskatonic University are riled up by the "disrespectful scavenging of a society's remains" and have taken to the streets in protest. Any investigator ending their movement in the streets must make a fight(-1) check or be delayed.
(delayed means that the investigator will be unable to move on the following movement phase)

The Estate Sale has ended.

A gate opens at The Black Cave and Darrell Simmons is sucked through into the Plateau of Leng (delayed)! The doom track increases by 1.

A zombie and a nightgaunt emerge from the gate.
The nightgaunt launches itself into the sky.
Beneath The Witch House, the Chthonian stirs and all of Arkham trembles in an earthquake. All Investigators in Arkham receive 1 point of Stamina Damage! (Darrell Simmons escapes this, as he is no longer in Arkham. Michael McGlen escapes this due to special ability)

A clue appears at The Unnameable

GAMEBOARD AFTER TURN 2 MYTHOS:
(click to embigify)
Enlarge Image

Gate Count: 1 Monster Count: 4 Terror Track: 0 Doom Track: 3 of 11 Gate Trophy Total: 0

Gate Report:

The Black Cave: Plateau of Leng (diamond, -1)

Monster Report:
The Witch House:
Chthonian, threat: High
Dark Young, threat: high
The Black Cave:
Zombie, threat: low
The Sky:
Nightgaunt, threat: low

Turn 3 Advance Upkeep
Darrell Simmons: Retainer: Roll 2, +$2
Jenny Barnes: +$1

TURN 3 MOVE ORDER

Remus West: Plateau of Leng
Isgrimnur: River Docks
Chaosraven: remain at silver twilight
Qantaga: Historic Society
rshetts2: Newspaper
Zurai: Move to Unnameable
Newcastle: Remain at location (tome, encounter)
Wargus: Move to Witch House
Last edited by Gryndyl on Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:42 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Newcastle wrote:nice job team! so do i have any permanent dmg for failing the book reading? can i sit in arkham and read up? any notable encounters would happen there? or just recoup sanity...which i dont think i've lost any right?
No damage from failing the book reading and yep, you can hang out in Arkham and read if you like. There are certainly encounters to be had there. Your sanity is currently full up.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Wargus wrote:Take that you cobbers! I am on a roll!

Question: I spent 3 stamina for that encounter to get the bonus to rolls per the item I have. Is that reduced to 2 stamina based upon my special ability?

Don't forget to update my stamina on the main page (or do, please!) :)
Fixed that with the mythos update. And no, your special ability doesn't save you a point there as you voluntarily spent it. Nice try though! It did protect you from the Chthonian, however.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

Did you not get my second PM, Gryndyl?
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Zurai wrote:Did you not get my second PM, Gryndyl?
Ack! I did but forgot to make the update to my notes. I will amend that ASAP but am on my way out the door at the moment so it'll be later today. You have the lamp, not the mask.

EDIT: Fixed
Last edited by Gryndyl on Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

Cool. No worries.

For everybody else: I bought a +5 combat check, 2 handed, magical weapon at the estate sale. I already have a better weapon, so decide who can use it the most and let me know. I'll give it to that person ASAP.