If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

KiloOhm

Re: [Kickstarter] Wasteland 2

Post by KiloOhm »

Grifman wrote:
Lordnine wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:
SlapBone wrote:I'm sure they will figure out a way to screw it up. Glad I held off. Not saying I won't buy it, but Obsidian's involvement definitely means "wait & see".
I'm confused over the Obsidian grumbles. Am I the only one that thought Alpha Protocol and Fallout New Vegas were excellent games - particularly the plots, stories and characters?
Nope. Obsidian is awesome. Their only problem is their games are regularly released in a buggy state. If you follow the track record of their employees it’s been that way all the way back to Fallout. New Vegas, Alpha Protocol, Old Republic 2, Arcanum, Fallout(s), etc.
And I repeat, they won't be doing any programming so your objection is illogical. What you are getting from them is what they do best, designing interesting worlds/stories. Your continued objection despite the facts doesn't make any sense.

FYI Obsidian did not do Arcanum, that was Troika.
I fully expect this game to be quite buggy, but I'll be OK with that for the $15 I paid. I can't imagine they are going to have a large SQA team with only a few million. Maybe they will find some cheap (or free) help, but SQAing a large RPG must be a nightmare for what will surely be a small team.
Xbox360 Gamertag: Lord Polish
Steam: LordPolish
WoW (Durotan): Valstaff (Mage), Kankle (Warrior) - inactive
Eve: Meticulus - Miner Supreme! - Inactive
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

There will be a beta for everyone who pledged $55 and above, which should help.
Insert witty comment here.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Phew. It's official this game is funded. It was hit & miss there for awhile.
Archinerd

Re: [Kickstarter?] Wasteland sequel

Post by Archinerd »

Archinerd wrote:I never did actually play the original, but I've always liked the box art.
Enlarge Image
Here's what their thinking for the new "box" art.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

I like that they're using the box art to make it abundantly clear that this isn't Fallout. A lush, overgrown city wouldn't really have happened there, but in Wasteland that's nothing special.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Love this from the latest update (UNLESS it means overly long, drawn out development with constant pushing back of the completion date):

"Not a week goes by that I am not in a conversation with my team here or with other development groups about how wonderful this experience has been and the gratitude for the opportunity to work on a game under our terms. We are so much more efficient this way, and the game's development has a more organic process to it. Nothing in the world beats out the tinkering and re-iteration process."
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Not sure if I missed this elsewhere, but a copy of the original Wasteland will be included with Wasteland 2.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Smoove_B wrote:Not sure if I missed this elsewhere, but a copy of the original Wasteland will be included with Wasteland 2.
Weird, because I'm pretty sure I read somewhere, possibly the kickstarter page, saying they would include a copy of the original if they could, but that they couldn't.

I guess that's changed.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

GreenGoo wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:Not sure if I missed this elsewhere, but a copy of the original Wasteland will be included with Wasteland 2.
Weird, because I'm pretty sure I read somewhere, possibly the kickstarter page, saying they would include a copy of the original if they could, but that they couldn't.

I guess that's changed.
They didn't have the rights to the old Wasteland game as that is still owned by EA. Brian Fargo has obviously managed to reach some kind of agreement with them, though the details of this agreement are kept secret. I hope he's not paying royalties or anything like that. Perhaps he's just agreed to promote EA with the bundle or something.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm guessing it was part of the discussion when EA tried to secure distribution for Wasteland 2 on Origin. I can only imagine what they offered to try and entice them into an exclusive deal.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Smoove_B wrote:I'm guessing it was part of the discussion when EA tried to secure distribution for Wasteland 2 on Origin. I can only imagine what they offered to try and entice them into an exclusive deal.
Though the details of the arrangement is secret, Brian Fargo has publicly said that the agreement does not involve Origin. His Twitter message says: "Fear not my worriers... The Wasteland 1 inclusion has no conditions related to Origin."
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

TiLT wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:I'm guessing it was part of the discussion when EA tried to secure distribution for Wasteland 2 on Origin. I can only imagine what they offered to try and entice them into an exclusive deal.
Though the details of the arrangement is secret, Brian Fargo has publicly said that the agreement does not involve Origin. His Twitter message says: "Fear not my worriers... The Wasteland 1 inclusion has no conditions related to Origin."
Hah!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

WIP screenie (note no particle and other effects have been applied yet):

Enlarge Image
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

Scorpitron lives!

BOO! Where are the 8x8 pixel sprites!? I want to imagine fighting a football-field sized robot, not see it in roundy-cornered cactusy crap-o-vision! 8-)
There is no hug button. Sad!
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

The first actual gameplay video has been posted, and it's awesome! It's long too, clocking in at 17:24 and showing off several different elements of the game. Just remember that these guys are only halfway through development yet, so it's not going to look or sound quite as good as the final product. This isn't the typical E3 presentation we've been taught to expect throughout the years. It's more personal and honest.
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

Love it!

Very glad I backed this.
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I really hope the interface is going to go through a few more revisions but game-play wise this looks like everything I ever wanted from the game.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Lordnine wrote:I really hope the interface is going to go through a few more revisions but game-play wise this looks like everything I ever wanted from the game.
As long as the UI has keyboard shortcuts, I'm not overly concerned about the interface. Too much clicking for my carpal tunneled carpals as is though.

And it's a small thing, but they mentioned the rotatable camera, and I think it adds a lot to the game. A static camera might be a good throwback for a lot of people, but I prefer what they've done with it.

Game does seem to be shaping up well.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I'll take it as is... just let me play!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Man, I loved Wastelands on my old Commodore 128 and this looks just as great. I can't wait.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

TiLT wrote:The first actual gameplay video has been posted, and it's awesome! It's long too, clocking in at 17:24 and showing off several different elements of the game. Just remember that these guys are only halfway through development yet, so it's not going to look or sound quite as good as the final product. This isn't the typical E3 presentation we've been taught to expect throughout the years. It's more personal and honest.
Excellent looking. They even have the old Fallout text box with descriptions. Looks to be everything I hoped it would be!
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Looks good. But I am not really looking forward to having to heard the cats all over a map. Or make the effort to select the guy who is the lockpicker every time I need to pick a lock.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Peacedog wrote:Looks good. But I am not really looking forward to having to heard the cats all over a map. Or make the effort to select the guy who is the lockpicker every time I need to pick a lock.
From the demo it looks like the group stays together in a very tight formation. Maybe they are trying to deal with it that way. We'll see, I guess. As for the lock picking, how is that really different from any other game with multiple characters that you control? I don't know, I'm just happy to have a RPG with mutiple characters to play again.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

ColdSteel wrote: From the demo it looks like the group stays together in a very tight formation. Maybe they are trying to deal with it that way. We'll see, I guess. As for the lock picking, how is that really different from any other game with multiple characters that you control? I don't know, I'm just happy to have a RPG with mutiple characters to play again.
The fact that many games which had multiple characters to control forced you to do that sort of thing doesn't make it ok; that's not an effective argument. NWN2: Storms of Zehir was a mixed bag but one of the underrated thing it did was check against the "highest skill" in the party for many things. So you didn't have to stop and worry that, shit, the paladin wasn't active during this conversation and in fact the Fighter with his 0 ranks of diplomacy and -2 Charisma modifier just attempted to parlay. And so on and so forth.

I can't tell if the formation was tight because it was technomagically "bound together" in some way or not. If so, that would be super.

I want to see a revival for various "lost" or "forgotten" or "mostly forgotten" types of games as much as the next virtual entity, but I also want them to evolve.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

ColdSteel wrote:From the demo it looks like the group stays together in a very tight formation.
Only if you control them as a group. From the video you can also move them individually, and split off team members as they do when they set up that ambush. Just depends on how much micro management you want to do.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I wonder how much of any weapon customization there will be? Im playing Dead Space 3 rigth now and damn if it doesn't have that out the wing wang. So im curious if there will be any at all, a little bit(adding scopes or larger magazines), or full on (under slung grenade launchers, rifled barrels, new stocks)
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Check your email, Steam keys are now out! Downloading now . . . impressions later!
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Ah, I didn't back that high
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Hah, I just realized neither did I! Duh!

I'm just $5 short. Got the email, I assumed it went out only to those that qualified but didn't have key when I logged in. I guess I'll just have to live vicariously from what others post.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I backed the Tides of Numeria high enough to get a copy of Wasteland 2. Though not sure when that gets me a copy.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

TheMix wrote:I backed the Tides of Numeria high enough to get a copy of Wasteland 2. Though not sure when that gets me a copy.
Same...
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

I have the beta downloaded. Will give it a go later tonight. I probably won't play very far into it though, as I want to save most of it for the final release.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Played through the first area just now, and went to one of the ones that follow it afterwards. Had to force myself to stop. This feels very Fallout-like in many ways. It's reasonably polished to be a beta, though I've seen bugs, typos and clunkiness. Spent about an hour just making my characters. I felt like my original Wasteland 1 party had covered most areas of skills, but in this game you'll have to make some damn hard choices early on, and you won't even be able to get to rank 1 in more than roughly half the skills or so at first. Then you keep running into situations that require 2 or 3 in certain skills, making your choices extra painful. Just as it should be. ;)

I don't know how much more I'll play during the beta. I might just stop here to save the rest for the final release, even though I'd really like to dig deeper into the thing.
DD*

Post by DD* »

TiLT wrote:The first actual gameplay video has been posted, and it's awesome! It's long too, clocking in at 17:24 and showing off several different elements of the game. Just remember that these guys are only halfway through development yet, so it's not going to look or sound quite as good as the final product. This isn't the typical E3 presentation we've been taught to expect throughout the years. It's more personal and honest.
Linky no worky :(
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

DD* wrote:
Linky no worky :(
That kind of goes with the territory when you click on a 10 months old video link. ;) Try YouTube. There's bound to be plenty of gameplay videos now, particularly from the beta. The look of the UI in particular has changed dramatically since the video I posted before.
KDH

Post by KDH »

:csmile: released today on steam ... $60 buys you early access

Ain't nobody got time for that
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

KDH wrote:$60 buys you early access
The devs must have gotten into the peyote.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
morlac

Post by morlac »

ColdSteel wrote:
They must be sharing because it is number #2 on the sales chart. ;)
Arkon

Post by Arkon »

ColdSteel wrote:
It is $60 because that is the level in Kickstarter that got you early access. Also note that the steam early access includes Wasteland 1 and other goodies.
You can't even tell me you'd be this tightly wound if you were receiving Treasure Type O regularly. - OOTS Strip 408
tgb

Post by tgb »

I don't have a problem with them charging $60 for early access if that's what kickstarter backers paid. Fair is fair. Doesn't mean that I'll pay it, however. If this had been your typical $20 or $25 beta I would have been on it like stink on a monkey.

Hell, I probably would have gone in at $60 if this had come in during one of those slump periods, but with all the good stuff coming out on sale over the next 3 weeks, that $60 will pay for 4 or 5 finished games. And Wasteand 2 will still be there later.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.