THANK YOU! 2024 Fundraising Completed - $2095 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

2024 - the MAGA Presidency and Revenge Tour

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Smoove_B

Re: 2024 - the MAGA Presidency and Revenge Tour

Post by Smoove_B »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:16 pm I was thinking more in the nature of an anonymous complaint.
There is no such thing. If it was somehow sent in a way that was truly anonymous (i.e. that couldn't be traced), the complaining individual would then become the investigating official. And then it would be up to them to decide if a violation is present.

Regardless, it really is a shit situation. Even if you knew someone local that wouldn't have a problem making sure the flag disappeared, in truth it would just keep getting put back up and future attempts to remove it would be more difficult.

My neighbor has been flying a Blue Lives Matter flag for 3+ years now. Not nearly in the same category, but still gross. We've discussed flying a giant rainbow flag in our yard but I honestly don't want anything to come back at our kid in school as a result. Soon that won't be an issue, but I can appreciate where you live and the lunatics that fester in your specific town. Genuinely sorry your wife has to see it as it is total nonsense.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

It's situations like that where the suckiness of living under an HOA comes in handy. We do have some Trumpers flying banners in their garage like the weird cultists they are, but they'd never be allowed to display those 24/7 on the exterior of their house.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:50 pm
El Guapo wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:16 pm I was thinking more in the nature of an anonymous complaint.
There is no such thing. If it was somehow sent in a way that was truly anonymous (i.e. that couldn't be traced), the complaining individual would then become the investigating official. And then it would be up to them to decide if a violation is present.

Regardless, it really is a shit situation. Even if you knew someone local that wouldn't have a problem making sure the flag disappeared, in truth it would just keep getting put back up and future attempts to remove it would be more difficult.

My neighbor has been flying a Blue Lives Matter flag for 3+ years now. Not nearly in the same category, but still gross. We've discussed flying a giant rainbow flag in our yard but I honestly don't want anything to come back at our kid in school as a result. Soon that won't be an issue, but I can appreciate where you live and the lunatics that fester in your specific town. Genuinely sorry your wife has to see it as it is total nonsense.
I wouldn't bat an eye at a blue lives matter flag. A Fuck Biden flag signifies that you are a total 100% Trumper. I look forward to them making my life miserable. Between that and the monster truck they are off to an awesome start and they aren't even living in the house yet.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:50 pm We've discussed flying a giant rainbow flag in our yard but I honestly don't want anything to come back at our kid in school as a result. Soon that won't be an issue
I've engaged in this kind of thinking lately, too, and it sickens me. Being where I am, I have become very careful about what I say and where I say it, and don't comment online with my real name (or any profile that could be linked back to it), including on social media. The fact that I feel the need to be careful in order to defend myself from my neighbors is horrific. I don't think any of my immediate neighbors would have issues with it (I know them all), but I wouldn't put it past the extremists to make a note of where the 'enemies' are in town should the day ever come.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Holman

Post by Holman »

We started flying what I've recently learned is called the "Progress Pride Flag" in support of our friends (and one of our children) who are LGBT.

Three days later, our goodoldboy neighbor across the street put out a Gadsden flag.

Fair enough, I guess. But I have to assume he thinks we're treading on him.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Print this out, blow it up and put it in your window.

Now depoliticized.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Or you could fly this flag...

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Holman wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:40 pm We started flying what I've recently learned is called the "Progress Pride Flag" in support of our friends (and one of our children) who are LGBT.

Three days later, our goodoldboy neighbor across the street put out a Gadsden flag.

Fair enough, I guess. But I have to assume he thinks we're treading on him.
We've got this one flying on our porch...
Enlarge Image
We had a lady stop by, ring the bell, and ask us where we got it. :D
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Brian wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:21 pm Or you could fly this flag...

Enlarge Image
That's awesome.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

UsulofDoom wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:46 pm
That would only affect the 10% that use those services. The rest of us mow are own lawns and shovel our drive ways and go to Lows and Home Depot for home repairs. Who do you think buys push mowers. We can't afford Hotels and restaurants since we have inflation tax.
Do you eat? Who do you think picks the vegetables and fruit and slaughters the meat?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:40 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:11 pmAs for "inflation tax", the production lost by immigrants' absence in the work force will only increase inflation.
Frankly the measures would cause an immediate economic depression approximating the great depression and inflation would be a dream scenario. We'd almost certainly be locked in a deflationary cycle. That's economist talk for - we'd be fucked.
To lower inflation, America needs more immigration to alleviate national labor shortages

Economists Say Increasing Immigration Will Reduce Inflation
That a lack of immigrants can contribute to inflation and harm Americans by reducing their purchasing power is not a new topic for economists. “The net effect of immigration on natives’ purchasing power . . . depends not only on wage but also on price effects,” according to research in 2008 by economist Patricia Cortes (Boston University Questrom School of Business).
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

100% agree in the sense that under current conditions lack of labor force has upward inflation pressure. I was talking about if they actually rounded up people and took away the labor force in some relatively rapid fashion. It'd cause an economic depression when it inevitably lead to a productive output gap. It might have some short term inflation impact as the supply chain broke down, but then economic output would sputter to a halt and almost certainly lead to spiraling deflation. It'd be like the COVID shutdown. Stock market would plunge. Almost immediate layoffs. Etc.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

An opinion piece on the revenge tour:
In political science jargon, these wild swings against prevailing policy are known as “thermostatic” public opinion. This is particularly pronounced on immigration given its fiendish complexities, meaning disapproval of the incumbent could allow Trump to win even though he is campaigning on an extreme alternative.

That second-term agenda would revolve around what the New York Times calls “giant camps.” While detention centers already exist, the Times reports that Trump and adviser Stephen Miller envision a vastly expanded network that would facilitate the deportation of millions of undocumented immigrants, including longtime residents with deep ties to communities.

Those camps would also enable Trump to dramatically scale up detention of people seeking asylum, which would be subject to shocking new limits. Trump would reinstate his ban on migrants from majority-Muslim countries, invoke new legal authorities to pursue mass expulsions and enlist the military to help carry them out.

While disapproval of Trump turned partly on revulsion at his family separation policy, note that even with the border under severe strain, voters opposed restrictive policies across the board. As public opinion researcher Dan Hopkins shows, voters turned strongly against both the wall and deportations. Yet now voters appear open to such policies.

Here’s where thermostatic opinion comes in. Few voters are familiar with the finer points of asylum policy. Nor do most harbor strong ideological opposition to immigration; large majorities have generally regarded legal immigration as a good thing through both presidencies.

Instead, all indications suggest that voters think the border should be managed and don’t understand why that’s not happening. Under both presidents, imagery of disorder and migrant suffering filled the media, creating the powerful impression that the executive was failing to handle the situation. Naturally, in both cases, majorities disapproved of that handling of it.

Ideologues such as Trump and Miller might truly believe the resulting disapproval of Biden means the public will fully embrace their radical vision. It’s telling that Trump, who recently declared that migrants are “poisoning the blood of our country,” is trumpeting designs with clear White-nationalist implications, such as a revived ban on Muslims and a vision of detention and deportations that appears designed to showcase maximum cruelty for base-thrilling kicks.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

How Trump plans to staff his revenge tour:

https://www.axios.com/2023/11/13/trump- ... l-election
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

The 2A is looking more important all the time.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I guess this goes here? Trump fans trust him, and only him.

These people are completely unreachable. They are so wrapped up in a web of lies that they can no longer recognize truth.
CORALVILLE, Iowa — Joannie Firkins, 63, does not trust the COVID vaccine. She does not trust the Internal Revenue Service. She does not trust the results of the 2020 election and she certainly does not trust President Biden.

The one entity the Iowa City hair salon owner does trust, however, is former president Donald Trump.

“I believe Trump is appointed by God — appointed-slash-anointed, however you want to say it,” said Firkins, as she stood outside a hotel ballroom last week, a couple of hours before Trump was set to speak. “He’s the only one that’s speaking the truth.”

If Trump dominates the Iowa caucuses and the New Hampshire primary in January, as the polls suggest he will, it will be in part because of voters such as Firkins — a true believer who supported him in 2016, when he first ran for president, and whose devotion has only deepened in the ensuing years of critical headlines, criminal indictments, and other legal woes.

The depth, intensity, and tenacity of these voters’ support of Trump has been a fixture of the presidential primary campaign, turning them into a bloc that is so well known, some pollsters have a name for them: the Always-Trump base.

Less appreciated, however, is the fact that, for many of these voters, devotion to the former president is tightly bound with a deep distrust of the government, of basic institutions, and of his opponents. It is a distrust that he himself has intentionally stoked from the stump over the past eight years as he has railed against the country’s election administrators, government agencies such as the FBI and the Department of Justice, educators — and some within his own party.

“He can be a dictator for a day, hello!” Firkins said, praising a comment made by Trump earlier this month that alarmed democracy experts but left his biggest supporters excited. “He’s going to shut the border and he’s going to start drilling. We’re going to get our prosperity back.”

In-depth interviews of more than 20 Trump supporters in the early voting states of Iowa and New Hampshire reveal just how much the doubts Trump has seeded among his followers, and his claims of being besieged, have deepened their enthusiasm for him and eroded their faith in their party and their government, laying the foundation for a presidency they hope will be as expansive as possible.
The article goes on to quote half a dozen other trumpsters, all of them over 60, and ends with this:
Scott Brown, 32, a former Massachusetts resident who now lives in New Hampshire, said he did not initially support Trump when he first ran for president in 2016 — he backed a libertarian candidate instead — but that changed during his presidency.

“I saw how the media would constantly lie about him, misconstrue, like when he passed his tax policy. That was a big turning point,” Brown said. “Them saying it’s a tax break for the rich when literally everyone gets a tax break.”
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:41 pm
“Them saying it’s a tax break for the rich when literally everyone gets a tax break.”
Ummm... I got a small check and then my taxes went up a lot and I wasn't even affected by the loss of SALT like most others were. All the free money from "It's not QE" did not come to me.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I invested our trump tax cut in a yacht. It sank.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

It's true. The liberal media claimed our Christmas bonuses were "for the rich" and while my CEO did get a 2 million dollar bonus, I definitely got a $50 Visa gift card.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

YellowKing wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:30 pm It's true. The liberal media claimed our Christmas bonuses were "for the rich" and while my CEO did get a 2 million dollar bonus, I definitely got a $50 Visa gift card.
I forget how much I got. They advertised $1600 but then they figured I made too much money as household of one with no children or something and it dropped to nearly nothing. The other check(s) I didn't qualify for. And again, my taxes were definitely not reduced.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I won't post it but Trump sent out a truly special Christmas greeting in a rant against Biden and Jack Smith calling them thugs and inviting them to "ROT IN HELL". A very Christian message.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oh, not just them. He also threw in such groups as electric vehicle owners. It was truly an epic rant that shows why he shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near a leadership role in ANY entity.
Now depoliticized.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Chaos, anarchy, dictator, division, vengeance, corruption, wealth, ego, autocrat, retribution, dictatorship, crazy, ruin, bad. Oh, and REVENGE.

His first honest post.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Holman

Post by Holman »

I wonder what happens when Trump gets convicted or the campaign otherwise collapses and the GOP starts scrambling to push Nikki Haley as a replacement at the convention.

Today's polls won't mean anything when Trump decides that his real grievance is against his own party. That's going to be amazing.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Careful what you wish for: Haley is playing the GOP's Greatest Hits, and I think she might demolish Biden. I don't know why I'm hearing her ads in the Boston market; splash damage from NH, probably. But her ad is on WBZ radio a LOT and her pitch starts out pretty good.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Kraken wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:35 pm Careful what you wish for: Haley is playing the GOP's Greatest Hits, and I think she might demolish Biden. I don't know why I'm hearing her ads in the Boston market; splash damage from NH, probably. But her ad is on WBZ radio a LOT and her pitch starts out pretty good.
I think any non-Trump GOP candidate would demolish Biden at this point.

Seems like The People REALLY want a non-Biden option.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I know would absolutely love to vote for someone other than Biden. Still I can't see myself voting for a Republican ever again without a major re-brand/purge of MAGA. So I get to choose between the end of "democracy" and a person who I think isn't fit to be President. And many of my fellow Americans seem to be saying that too. And we can see over and over that people hate the choice in leaders (Obama aside who generally polled abnormally high). It's no wonder the wheels are coming off. We want a democracy but instead we have an oligarchic-driven Republic and that clash of values/representation is breaking our politics.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

As distasteful as it would be, I'd still take Haley 1000 times over another Trump presidency.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Kraken wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:35 pm Careful what you wish for: Haley is playing the GOP's Greatest Hits, and I think she might demolish Biden. I don't know why I'm hearing her ads in the Boston market; splash damage from NH, probably. But her ad is on WBZ radio a LOT and her pitch starts out pretty good.
I'm a broken record, but if that were a possibility, I would SO be on board.

Trump is the end.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, someone that described the Confederate Flag as a symbol of "service, sacrifice and heritage" is absolutely the right person to be President.

I am firmly in the camp that believes the worst Democrat is better than the "best" GOP candidate at this point; the entire party is a cancer to American democracy.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Trump can remain on MI primary ballot because it's up to the party who appears on the ballot-

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... ry-ballot/
In Michigan, a lower court judge and an appeals court said Trump could remain on the ballot there. Those courts determined that state law allows political parties to determine which candidates can run in presidential primaries and doesn’t allow election officials to keep them off the ballot under Section 3. The courts reached no conclusions about whether Trump had engaged in insurrection.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:36 pm Yeah, someone that described the Confederate Flag as a symbol of "service, sacrifice and heritage" is absolutely the right person to be President.

I am firmly in the camp that believes the worst Democrat is better than the "best" GOP candidate at this point; the entire party is a cancer to American democracy.
Yeah, I said her ad *starts out* well. (Paraphrasing) "Joe Biden and the Democrats have brought nothing but chaos. But the answer to Democrat chaos is not Republican chaos. It's time to leave the grievances of the past behind us and look forward." From there, it degenerates into the usual GOP shibboleths -- tax cuts and a balanced budget (like those go together), immigrant hating, etc. Haley would *probably* color within the lines, but you wouldn't like the colors she chooses.
malchior

Post by malchior »

If...in the very unlikely chance...if it was Haley, she would have to wrestle with the same forces of MAGA as Trump. It almost certainly wouldn't be as bad as Trump. For one, she wouldn't be able to make her own weather like Trump can.

The central concerning issue about her is we have no real idea what she actually stands for. She essentially virtue signals to everyone. It's hard to tell how she'd govern because we she doesn't tell us what she believes.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Smoove_B wrote:Yeah, someone that described the Confederate Flag as a symbol of "service, sacrifice and heritage" is absolutely the right person to be President.

She also has the full neocon thing going for her.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:49 pm She also has the full neocon thing going for her.
I'm not blaming you, but people keep using terms like "progressives" and "neocon" or "moderates" like they have any meaning anymore. Do you have a (R) next to your name? Then you are in the party of Trump, full stop. Whether they believe his nonsense or not, the only ones that seem to be in the news or getting elected are the ones that parrot his beliefs.
milo

Post by milo »

Kraken wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:25 pm
Yeah, I said her ad *starts out* well. (Paraphrasing) "Joe Biden and the Democrats have brought nothing but chaos.
Yes, but aside from the 14 million new jobs created, the lowest unemployment rate in 50 years, the lowest inflation rate among developed nations, the CHIPS and science act, the Inflation Reduction Act, the $1T approved for infrastructure improvements to repair roads and bridges, the reduction in insulin costs, the $4.8B in student loan forgiveness, ...

What have the Romans ever done for us?
--milo
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

The way that it's totally ignored how well things are actually going is the most frustrating part. Not even the liberal media is really touting anything. It's all negative all the time. Trump would be doing cartwheels on the news if he had the numbers Biden has. The Dow is up 13% this year and yet crickets... Whatever.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
malchior

Post by malchior »

milo wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:19 pm
Kraken wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:25 pm
Yeah, I said her ad *starts out* well. (Paraphrasing) "Joe Biden and the Democrats have brought nothing but chaos.
Yes, but aside from the 14 million new jobs created, the lowest unemployment rate in 50 years, the lowest inflation rate among developed nations, the CHIPS and science act, the Inflation Reduction Act, the $1T approved for infrastructure improvements to repair roads and bridges, the reduction in insulin costs, the $4.8B in student loan forgiveness, ...

What have the Romans ever done for us?
Those accomplishments don't mean much to the wide underclass our society has built. That is one of the chief disconnects that Trump channels. We have a large body of 'have nots' and they are angry. And Trump channels that into things like anti-immigrant animosity, taps into racism by saying other 'have nots' are living off their backs, he attacks academia, and the 'deep state' to distract them while he and his fellows loot the commons.