2024 Fundraising - $0 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Borderlands 2 - Impressions start Page 5

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

naednek

Re: Borderlands 2

Post by naednek »

Smooth isn't going to like it... HEADBOBBING TO THE MAXIMUM. Man 10 minutes in, and I want to vomit. I don't see an option to turn it off in the menus :(
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Smoove_B

Re: Borderlands 2 - Impressions start Page 5

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I'm going to have to explore that tomorrow. Too tired now, but my eyes are killing me and I'm feeling dizzy. Not a good sign. :(
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Just got done playing.

It's like Borderlands, only the world is made of colors other than brown.

It's great fun so far.

As they say in the intro: "The call of danger and loot is not so easily resisted."

Although that's not my favorite line so far...
Spoiler:
Your ability to walk short distances without dying will be Handsome Jack's downfall!
:lol:

I can't wait to play more tomorrow.
McBa1n

Post by McBa1n »

Pretty fun playing for an hour or so. Same as the first one, it seems - and still quite as fun.
... But still would probably be tremendously UNfun not playing coop. Coop is always a blast with a shotgun.

EDIT - one other pain in the butt is every time I load the game, it updates the MS .net framework... Even after reboot.
PAIN IN THE BUTT! Hope that gets fixed.
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Wait what..this came out already? Wow I missed it. I can only afford 1 game plus a cheapie. But I cant remember the game I wanted. It may have been this but Im not sure so I have to wait till I can figure out the other games LOLz.

Anyways for those that don't have it and would like to see the beginning easy mission played out ......and which may have been posted since I haven't kept up with this thread and dont know... http://www.g4tv.com/videos/60810/border ... ideo-60828" target="_blank
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

The only game I remember you saying you were going to get was Dishonored, but that's not out until Oct/Nov I believe
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Yes ty that was it. Hmmm bummer.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

One hour in, and this is terrific.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yup :)
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

McBa1n wrote:Pretty fun playing for an hour or so. Same as the first one, it seems - and still quite as fun.
... But still would probably be tremendously UNfun not playing coop. Coop is always a blast with a shotgun.

EDIT - one other pain in the butt is every time I load the game, it updates the MS .net framework... Even after reboot.
Until the patch, go to your path that resembles:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Borderlands 2\Binaries\Redist

and either delete or rename dotNetFx40_Client_x86_x64.exe

that will skip it until the game gets updated. Alternatively it seems you can run Steam in Admin mode to let it succeed.
kind of like a cloud I was up way up in the sky and I was feeling some feelings that I couldn't believe; sometimes I don't believe them myself but I decided I was never coming down
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

You can also manually update the .NET nonsense directly from Microsoft. Note that a reboot will be required. :)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Just like with the original I played the first night at default resolution. I could swear the options in the startup menu said auto-detect. This morning I checked and yup, 1024x768.

I only played for about an hour last night, but I enjoyed it. It's really MOTS at least through the first few missions. That's not a bad thing really. I picked the Commando(?), which seems to be the Roland/Soldier equivalent for the most part (or exactly?). I only got to 5th level, but have 5ish badass points that I am afraid to spend. Permanent upgrades that span all characters.... geez no pressure there. All the guns I have picked up thus far are garbage. I guess that is consistent with the original also. I will say the enemies seem to move more. As soon as you get a bead on one, he's somewhere else. Good, but bad. ;)

I'm tremendously annoyed that I am flying out in a few hours and won't get to play again until this weekend. I want to play.
McBa1n wrote:Pretty fun playing for an hour or so. Same as the first one, it seems - and still quite as fun.
Emphasis mine. You are nuts. Well, actually I guess I am always playing Coop so I can be having fun either way. ;)
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Two things:

Delete the desktop shortcut that was created when the game was preloading. I believe that's also part of the .NET issue. Just create a new one.

Disabling the UI sway and cranking the FOV to levels that seem ridiculous (I think I maxed it at 106) seems to have addressed sick-tummy syndrome. I will probably need 30+ more hours to say for sure.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Exodor wrote:Just got done playing.

I'm already sold.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Got in about 3 hours before I had to crash last night and it's fantastic so far!

The environments feel much more interesting, gunplay is much tighter, and some of the new random weapons are staggeringly cool. The first assault rifle I got was sweet and the explosive shots it used were much improved from the first game. Some of the later assault rifles I got have 3 barrels in gatling configuration with one of them basically being a small minigun. Shields in particular seem to be stronger which made fights much more interesting. As long as I was careful and didn't completely expose myself my shields tended to last quite a while in combat instead of going down after a handful of hits like in the first BL. There was still plenty of danger and I did die a couple of times, but that change gives you a little more time to react to a changing tactical situation.

Enlarge Image

Coop looks really seemless now with the Steam integration. While I was playing I could see a few other OOers on and not only was there a button to immediately join their games, I could see what missions they were working on.

I got about as far as getting the first car, and it seems like driving is largely the same. Still have the choice of MG or Rocket... not sure if they've improved the MG, but the rocket launcher does feel a little more balanced compared to what it was. They also added a powerslide option if you hold down G on the keyboard.

Really digging the new solider (aka commando) as expected. Only have a few skill points so far, and I haven't looked through the trees extensively, but there seem like lots of good options. I didn't notice any healing options, but I might have just missed them. One tree looks focused on defense, one on turret offense, and one on improving your gunplay. Quite a bit of overlap between them, but I think those are the basic ideas.

Hopefully I'll get in some good coop tonight with my g/f and her friend.
Last edited by Sepiche on Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Teggy

Post by Teggy »

Playing with a controller on PC I now realized that the original Borderlands didn't have snap to target when aiming. It wasn't really an issue, but it's make B2 a bit easier.

Man, Handsome Jack is a psychopath!
Spoiler:
Poor Helena :(
Blackhawk

Re: Borderlands 2

Post by Blackhawk »

Exodor wrote: Installing now - along with about 37 different versions of .NET. :doh:
#18 is requiring a reboot. Gah.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

This is so unfaaaair, it only unlocks the 21st in Europe >_<
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Well, this and Torchlight 2 are both available today and can't play anything as my PC just died :(
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

GreenGoo wrote:
Exodor wrote:Just got done playing.

I'm already sold.
Then go buy it! Everyone on our old MP team has a copy, we need ONLY YOU!!!
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Brian

Post by Brian »

The gas company has to come out and inspect my new furnace tomorrow.

Dang, guess I'm stuck at home playing BL2 all day. :)
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Brian wrote:The gas company has to come out and inspect my new furnace tomorrow.

Dang, guess I'm stuck at home playing BL2 all day. :)
hehe I laid in bed for 20 minutes this morning mentally debating if I wanted to get up and go into work or just text in sick, sleep in, and get up in a few hours and play more BL2. Since it's early and I'm awake and writing this you can figure out duty finally won out (barely). :P
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

It's my week to be the lead support dev, so no sick days for me. The Saddest Face.
McBa1n

Post by McBa1n »

Chesspieceface wrote:

Until the patch, go to your path that resembles:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Borderlands 2\Binaries\Redist

and either delete or rename dotNetFx40_Client_x86_x64.exe

that will skip it until the game gets updated. Alternatively it seems you can run Steam in Admin mode to let it succeed.
Thanks for this.
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Exodor wrote:Although that's not my favorite line so far...
Spoiler:
Your ability to walk short distances without dying will be Handsome Jack's downfall!
:lol:
Loved that one as well. :D
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I'm dying to get home and play this tonight. I decided to be an adult last night and did not start playing at midnight since I knew I would be up too late.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Cylus Maxii wrote:I'm dying to get home and play this tonight. I decided to be an adult last night and did not start playing at midnight since I knew I would be up too late.
Hey!! (and it was only 11pm here)
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Cylus Maxii wrote:I decided to be an adult last night and did not start playing at midnight since I knew I would be up too late.
Me too. So I woke up early and played for half an hour before I had to leave for work. That's sort of adult-ish, right?
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

Peacedog wrote:It's my week to be the lead support dev, so no sick days for me. The Saddest Face.

We call it duty manager but I feel your pain.
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*
Brian

Post by Brian »

AWS260 wrote:
Cylus Maxii wrote:I decided to be an adult last night and did not start playing at midnight since I knew I would be up too late.
Me too. So I woke up early and played for half an hour before I had to leave for work. That's sort of adult-ish, right?
That is exactly what I did this morning. :)
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Read on SA
You can mark items as either favorites or trash. Favorite items can't be sold while trash items can be sold en masse.
OMG. I'm always so paranoid about selling my favorite weapon after accidentally selling my insta-kill sniper rifle in BL1. :( This is great.

Has anyone seen any ammo-capacity-increasing-thingies like in Bl1? I feel like I run out of ammo really quickly even though I fill up whenever possible.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Exodor wrote:Has anyone seen any ammo-capacity-increasing-thingies like in Bl1? I feel like I run out of ammo really quickly even though I fill up whenever possible.
I haven't seen anything yet up to level 7, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't in there.

Also I love the new badass reward system and the customization it allows you to do.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm not really enjoying the backpack / equipment UI. It feels like a step backwards from what I was used to in the original. I'm also completely not used to using guns that drift with a character that cannot compensate. Good lord.

EDIT: In fairness, I should probably also mention how awesome the in-game PC configuration settings are. Glad to see it's not a cluster-f like the original.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Sepiche wrote:
Exodor wrote:Has anyone seen any ammo-capacity-increasing-thingies like in Bl1? I feel like I run out of ammo really quickly even though I fill up whenever possible.
I haven't seen anything yet up to level 7, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't in there.
According to SA (seriously, they have the best game threads)
Spoiler:
You get to sanctuary and have to talk to a fellow as part of a quest (look for the big purple HOSTEL) who sells the ammo/pack/bank upgrades for eridium or whatever the purple stuff is. You get some as part of the quest that sends you there and I won 15 from the slot machines at Moxxis place
So that's good.
naednek

Post by naednek »

so.... any fix to the head bobbing?
Teggy

Post by Teggy »

I've found that the gun is bobbing, but everything else is staying steady. I set my fov to 100 and I seem to be doing fine.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

As I said this morning, disabling the UI sway and setting the FOV to 110 seems to have fixed it (for me).
naednek

Post by naednek »

Smoove_B wrote:As I said this morning, disabling the UI sway and setting the FOV to 110 seems to have fixed it (for me).
Weird the UI is mainly the menu system (according to the notes when you hover over the opion) but will try it!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Wow, I had missed that they de-emphasized having a 'correct weapon' for each build. I may change my approach!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Went ahead and bought the Season Pass at GMG for $24. Can't go wrong at $6/DLC based upon their track record.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton