Just bought gas for under $3

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Octavious

Re: Just bought gas for under $3

Post by Octavious »

I have a hard time believing that we'll ever see another boom in gas guzzlers. The price would probably never stay low long enough for it to happen. I of course will be horribly wrong about this. :mrgreen:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

$1.94 here. $26 for a fill up from near empty.

Haven't seen that in ages. Its so nice.
Last edited by Daehawk on Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Still up at $2.48 in southern NH. I did fill up my car for around $20, but I have a small car, so that's not super crazy.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Octavious wrote:I have a hard time believing that we'll ever see another boom in gas guzzlers. The price would probably never stay low long enough for it to happen. I of course will be horribly wrong about this. :mrgreen:
That's already happening. Americans have short memories, and they will scream bloody murder when gas prices inevitably creep back up. Thanks, Obama.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Kraken wrote:
Octavious wrote:I have a hard time believing that we'll ever see another boom in gas guzzlers. The price would probably never stay low long enough for it to happen. I of course will be horribly wrong about this. :mrgreen:
That's already happening. Americans have short memories, and they will scream bloody murder when gas prices inevitably creep back up. Thanks, Obama.
I always underestimate how dumb people can be. Had to order propane for the house. 2.27 a gallon! That has to be almost a dollar a gallon cheaper then last year. :horse:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

stessier

Post by stessier »

Holding at $1.88/gallon here. Looking forward to furth price drops in the new year. :)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

It's back up to near $3 at many places around here. The cheap gas era lasted days this time.
Black Lives Matter
Rip

Post by Rip »

Jeff V wrote:It's back up to near $3 at many places around here. The cheap gas era lasted days this time.
In Chicago, the rest of us are still enjoying it.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I paid $2.30 for premium most recently. Granted, that includes a 50-cent discount courtesy of my grocery card...but still. $2.30 for premium, $21 to fill my tank.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I can get it for $1.8x on any street corner in town. And the Kroger does the $100 / $0.10 discount deal.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

$1.68 for regular unleaded at Costco today. I can't actually remember the last time it was this low.
disarm

Post by disarm »

The lowest I've seen in Connecticut is still $2.43...
Teggy

Post by Teggy »

Paid $1.65 in Michigan yesterday. Craziness.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

1.619 today in Colorado including Kroger discount. 1.919 without.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It is in the $1.90s around here. It certainly doesn't hurt the budget!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I can't imagine anyone would be stupid enough to buy a vehicle with "poor" gas mileage now based on what are probably temporary low prices.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Teggy wrote:Paid $1.65 in Michigan yesterday. Craziness.
Not near Detroit. I did manage to find $1.79, though most places are around $1.89. Either way I won't complain.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I just paid $1.58 a gallon today at Harps. It was $1.88 a gallon but I got 30 cents a gallon off for buying $300 worth of groceries.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Lovely California... Paid $2.79 / gal at a Chevron in San Jose this afternoon, and that's cheap compared to prices around San Francisco unless you go to one of those really cheap stations, like Arco or one of the Chevron known for low prices.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

What's been the driver for the falling prices lately? I've been wondering, but haven't really had a chance to research it.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Scuzz wrote:
I can't imagine anyone would be stupid enough to buy a vehicle with "poor" gas mileage now based on what are probably temporary low prices.
and yet SUV sales are booming right now, setting record sales numbers.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I notice diesel is still going for much higher prices. And to think, 30 years ago (before diesel cars) it was cheaper than gas.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
stessier

Post by stessier »

Chaz wrote:What's been the driver for the falling prices lately? I've been wondering, but haven't really had a chance to research it.
With a slow down in some places, there has been an excess of oil and OPEC hasn't decreased production. I believe the current theory is that they are content with lower prices as it will force frakking type wells to go off line eventually as they are profitable above 70-80/barrel. I think. It's kind of depends who you listen to. :)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Octavious wrote:
Kraken wrote:
I always underestimate how dumb people can be. Had to order propane for the house. 2.27 a gallon! That has to be almost a dollar a gallon cheaper then last year. :horse:
And then I get a nail in my tire. Which pretty much canceled out any gas savings. :doh: :mrgreen:

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

stessier wrote:
Chaz wrote:What's been the driver for the falling prices lately? I've been wondering, but haven't really had a chance to research it.
With a slow down in some places, there has been an excess of oil and OPEC hasn't decreased production. I believe the current theory is that they are content with lower prices as it will force frakking type wells to go off line eventually as they are profitable above 70-80/barrel. I think. It's kind of depends who you listen to. :)
Just to put that in graph form:

Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Image 404.

I saw a news report yesterday that the Saudis are refusing to lower production in an effort to protect their market share.

Not the same one, but:
From the Middle East, top exporter Saudi Arabia is offering crude at discounted prices in an attempt to defend its remaining share of the important regional market, which has shrunk by more than half in recent months.
On Monday, Saudi Aramco stepped up its counteroffensive, cutting its monthly U.S.-bound price for Arab Medium for a sixth straight month, putting it at the deepest discount against the regional sour crude benchmark since December 2013.

The timing of this clash may magnify its market impact as Houston-area oil refiners shut down for maintenance in early spring, further reducing their demand by an estimated 1 million barrels a day (bpd).
Large volumes of foreign heavy oil reaching the Gulf Coast will give many U.S. refiners more choice after they have upgraded their systems to process cheaper, heavier crudes. The new supply also marks a breakthrough in Canada's years-long effort to bring its growing Alberta oil sands crude output to new markets.

Enbridge Inc's 600,000 bpd Flanagan South pipeline, which runs from Illinois down to the Cushing, Oklahoma, oil hub began commercial service on Dec. 1; Enterprise Product Partner announced that its 450,000 bpd Seaway Twin pipeline from Oklahoma to Freeport, Texas, shipped its first volumes on Dec. 21.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

I liked this summary.
  • Nov 27 OPEC meeting fails to reach agreement on production curbs, price tumbles
  • Demand low because of weak economic activity, increased efficiency, alternative fuels
  • Increased America production, reducing America's need to import
  • Saudi and allies not reducing production since they produce at $5-6 a barrel and can weather the low selling price better than Iran and Russia, whom Saudi hates
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I heard a reporter's remarks this morning that the feds are thinking about raising gas taxes to help us out with too low prices.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Kraken wrote:I paid $2.30 for premium most recently. Granted, that includes a 50-cent discount courtesy of my grocery card...but still. $2.30 for premium, $21 to fill my tank.
:shock:
You buy premium? Do you drive a sports car? Are you independently wealthy?
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

dbt1949 wrote:I heard a reporter's remarks this morning that the feds are thinking about raising gas taxes to help us out with too low prices.
To R&P this, it seems a rise in gas tax seems inevitable, not to capitalize on cheaper prices, but rather to make up revenue lost to decreases in consumption. Petroleum taxes should drive infrastructure maintenance as the petroleum and infrastructure go hand in hand.

To really R&P this, my state is full bullshit. They decided to put a raise in the sales tax to pay for our decaying roads in front of us (roads decaying largely because of legislative decision making). This is already BS, but they are also trying to raise the gas tax and auto registration tax as well, which is what should be paying for the roads (That and a tax on axle weight for commercial vehicles used in state). <harumph>
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

em2nought wrote:Less fracking, darn. There goes my retirement in 5 years plan. Got some 87 for around $2.50 a gallon in TN or GA, but had to buy jewelry from some democrat in the parking lot in order to escape with my life. :mrgreen:
http://www.seismosoc.org/society/press_ ... elease.pdf

Your retirement may just get double screwed. I need to call my old man and warn him. He still has a ton of money in MVO.

My retirement is screwed because every time I put money into the whole market dips. Oi. I am the harbinger of doom and I'm ready to cry.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Moliere wrote:
Kraken wrote:I paid $2.30 for premium most recently. Granted, that includes a 50-cent discount courtesy of my grocery card...but still. $2.30 for premium, $21 to fill my tank.
:shock:
You buy premium? Do you drive a sports car? Are you independently wealthy?
I need 89 octane (mid-grade, I guess it is). Every now and then I treat it to 91.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The last few cars I bought are sedans that recommend premium be used. I typically cheat and use mid-grade.
Black Lives Matter
Rip

Post by Rip »

Umm, using higher octane than recommended is no better than using lower octane.

So Kraken you are not really "treating" your car and Jeff, using a lower octane is not a good idea either.
Most newer-model vehicles contain engines with computer-controlled or variable valve timing and sensors that monitor engine knock. For these advanced engines, higher octane fuels (some with booster additives) will often be required to maintain engine power and performance. However, for older-model vehicles without computer-controlled timing or variable valve timing, there may be little to no point in using a higher-than-recommended octane fuel with stock timing settings. So, for older-model vehicles, using the lowest octane your vehicle can support will not harm the engine performance and will only save you money at the pump.

It is important to note that using an octane fuel that is too high for your vehicle will adversely affect its fuel efficiency. Higher octane fuel requires more heat and more precision to ignite correctly. For example, if a car is designed to use 87 octane, burning 93 octane can cause the engine to produce less power, thus making it require more fuel to perform at the same level. So you will want to be prudent and use the lower octane.

The fuel that you put into your vehicle is important, so we recommend that you always follow the guidelines set by the manufacturer.
http://blog.tischerauto.com/the-importa ... r-vehicle/
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Rip wrote:Umm, using higher octane than recommended is no better than using lower octane.

That was my impression but I simply don't know anymore. They keep changing things on me. /lifts cane and shakes it.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Some cars that say they require 91 octane can still get by on 89 or even 87 sometimes without having knock issues. A quick search shows that older model Miatas are one of the cars that can do ok with midgrade. As long as he doesn't get knock, Kraken can run 89 and save some money, but when he puts 91 in I think his car CPU is probably smart enough to adjust itself to take advantage of it.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

LordMortis wrote:
Rip wrote:Umm, using higher octane than recommended is no better than using lower octane.
That was my impression but I simply don't know anymore. They keep changing things on me. /lifts cane and shakes it.
If your car engine isn't specifically designed to take advantage of high octane fuel, 89, 91, or 93 will do nothing for you other than make your wallet lighter.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

My dealer told me that using midgrade would affect fuel efficiency. However, observation and further reading indicates this effect is very small, and not really worth the added cost.

If they went back to 10 cent increments between octane levels, then sure, I'd go back to putting in premium. But it's 30-40 cents now -- a touch more zip isn't really required for city driving.
Black Lives Matter
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

wonderpug wrote:Some cars that say they require 91 octane can still get by on 89 or even 87 sometimes without having knock issues.
I'm in Colorado. My car takes 85 ;)