Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

LordMortis

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by LordMortis »

GatosIHereByOrder Of The Court
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

GungHo wrote:Also this nitwit has gone crazy. the pressure has clearly gotten to him bc the stuff that's come out of his mouth this last week is bonkers even for him.
Syphilis is a hell of a drug!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Think Progress
Under President Donald Trump, both the national debt and the annual budget deficit have reached all time highs, despite his 2016 campaign promises to eliminate both. Rather than concede another broken promise, his Republican defenders in the Senate are now claiming that he will solve both — next term.
According to a Washington Post report on Friday, Trump and his allies have arrived at a solution to the problem: pretending that it will all be fixed in Trump’s second term.

The article notes that Senate Majority Whip John Thune (R-SD) recently suggested to the New York Times that Trump’s deficit reduction efforts might come as soon as 2021. “I hope in a second term, he is interested,” he suggested. “With his leadership, I think we could start dealing with that crisis. And it is a crisis.”
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Under President Donald Trump, both the national debt and the annual budget deficit have reached all time highs, despite his 2016 campaign promises to eliminate both. Rather than concede another broken promise, his Republican defenders in the Senate are now claiming that he will solve both — next term.
Along with his even better tax plan and his repeal and replace. He has a big announcement coming soon. Don't let the democrats continue to obstruct this future revelation by voting for them.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

GungHo wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:06 pm
Also this nitwit has gone crazy. the pressure has clearly gotten to him bc the stuff that's come out of his mouth this last week is bonkers even for him.
I get the feeling it's more of a cornered rat thing. There is a lot more pressure to release his taxes and it's looking more likely to happen. He's facing a poor economy heading into the election, even without his maniacal tarriff meddling. What to do? Hey, look over here, I'm being craaaaazy!!!

I'm concerned that there's a lot of nuclear sabre rattling going on too.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:46 pm
GungHo wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:06 pm
Also this nitwit has gone crazy. the pressure has clearly gotten to him bc the stuff that's come out of his mouth this last week is bonkers even for him.
I get the feeling it's more of a cornered rat thing. There is a lot more pressure to release his taxes and it's looking more likely to happen. He's facing a poor economy heading into the election, even without his maniacal tarriff meddling. What to do? Hey, look over here, I'm being craaaaazy!!!

I'm concerned that there's a lot of nuclear sabre rattling going on too.

Any links on that last part? I have admittedly been distracted by the crazy and haven't read anything about nuclear threats. Or are you referring just generally towards the situation with Iran?
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Norks and the Kashmir stuff.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Also.

And that after the Russians blew some of their own peeps up testing, what, last week?
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

I don't think international events touch Trump. He ignores them (as he always has) because his personal wealth and success don't depend on them.

He's melting down because the domestic-economy narrative is turning and because even internal GOP polling looks apocalyptic.

2020 will be the story of a failing president taking the country down with him because everything is him or nothing.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Holman wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:57 pm I don't think international events touch Trump. He ignores them (as he always has) because his personal wealth and success don't depend on them.

He's melting down because the domestic-economy narrative is turning and because even internal GOP polling looks apocalyptic.

2020 will be the story of a failing president taking the country down with him because everything is him or nothing.
We have already reached the point where he can't hide his madness anymore; it's his dominant personality, only briefly interrupted by rational flashes. That's only going to get worse.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm seriously concerned about what he's going to do with the two months he has left in office after losing the election. I'm anticipating full scale executive ordering of burning our democracy to the ground (or at least what's left of it these days).
Zarathud

The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by Zarathud »

When Trump is gone, he will rant like a maniac on twitter/TV until the day he dies. He’s a cancer on our democracy.
"A lie can run round the world before the truth has got its boots on." -Terry Pratchett, The Truth
"The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to those who think they've found it." -Terry Pratchett, Monstrous Regiment
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:25 pm I'm seriously concerned about what he's going to do with the two months he has left in office after losing the election. I'm anticipating full scale executive ordering of burning our democracy to the ground (or at least what's left of it these days).
Will Congress continue to back his plays at that point, though? Or will they start to adjust the narrative to 'I stood against him!'?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)

Post by Default »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:43 am
YellowKing wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:25 pm I'm seriously concerned about what he's going to do with the two months he has left in office after losing the election. I'm anticipating full scale executive ordering of burning our democracy to the ground (or at least what's left of it these days).
Will Congress continue to back his plays at that point, though? Or will they start to adjust the narrative to 'I stood against him!'?
I think they'll ditch Trump quicker than day-old gas station egg salad.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

That's a bridge I'd be more than happy to cross when the time comes. At least it means he lost. I'm more concerned that he'll get a second "mandate" and will begin work on the lifetime presidency in earnest.

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Default wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:15 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:43 am
I think they'll ditch Trump quicker than day-old gas station egg salad.
I have zero confidence that the GOP would do the right thing. They sold their souls in 2016 and they have shown no sign of seller’s remorse.
Now depoliticized.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I think there are three scenarios:

1) Dems take the White House *and* the Senate: Republicans throw Trump under the bus as quickly as possible, hoping to pick up some pieces with Romney/Haley in 2024. It is impossible to find a GOP senator who ever "really" supported him.

2) Dems take the WH but the GOP holds the Senate: Republicans gird themselves to double-down on obstruction and pretend that Trump never happened (just as they did with Bush2 after the 2010 midterms).

3) Trump is re-elected and the GOP holds the Senate: America dies in a Reichstag Fire shortly after the election.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:48 pm I'm more concerned that he'll get a second "mandate" and will begin work on the lifetime presidency in earnest.
I console myself with the idea that a lifetime presidency and a second term are probably going to be really similar. What I am concerned about is setting up a dynasty.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’d vote for Barron. I mean, it’s not like he’s actually Trump’s son or anything.
Now depoliticized.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

You know all those amazing new jobs Trumps been incessantly crowing about? Yeah...about that.
More than half a million Americans didn’t get the jobs the government thought they did in 2018 and early this year.

That’s the verdict of a major revision of the Labor Department’s job-creation numbers — the largest such correction since the Great Recession a decade ago.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics says the U.S. had 501,000 fewer non-farm jobs in March 2019 than it previously reported
I’m sure we’ll hear about this correction from Trump any day now...
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Trump has a solution to Hurricanes: Nuke 'em from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
During one hurricane briefing at the White House, Trump said, "I got it. I got it. Why don't we nuke them?" according to one source who was there. "They start forming off the coast of Africa, as they're moving across the Atlantic, we drop a bomb inside the eye of the hurricane and it disrupts it. Why can't we do that?" the source added, paraphrasing the president's remarks.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The only thing better than 100mph winds are RADIOACTIVE 100mph winds!
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Defiant wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:09 pm Trump has a solution to Hurricanes: Nuke 'em from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
During one hurricane briefing at the White House, Trump said, "I got it. I got it. Why don't we nuke them?" according to one source who was there. "They start forming off the coast of Africa, as they're moving across the Atlantic, we drop a bomb inside the eye of the hurricane and it disrupts it. Why can't we do that?" the source added, paraphrasing the president's remarks.
'

Beyond the radioactivity, I'm worried about the sharknados this would cause.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

This is the part that really got me:
A different senior administration official, who has been briefed on the president's hurricane bombing suggestion, defended Trump's idea and said it was no cause for alarm. "His goal — to keep a catastrophic hurricane from hitting the mainland — is not bad," the official said. "His objective is not bad."
I'm sure that's exactly the kind of thing that the official is telling themselves at night. "Well, sure, the President wanted to fucking nuke hurricanes, but at least he's trying to stop hurricanes."
Black Lives Matter.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

If the plan is to nuke the tornado from orbit just to be sure, maybe we start with using less fossil fuel? I mean, if extreme measures are proposed, let’s do the one that’s not stupid.
"A lie can run round the world before the truth has got its boots on." -Terry Pratchett, The Truth
"The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to those who think they've found it." -Terry Pratchett, Monstrous Regiment
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:25 am This is the part that really got me:
A different senior administration official, who has been briefed on the president's hurricane bombing suggestion, defended Trump's idea and said it was no cause for alarm. "His goal — to keep a catastrophic hurricane from hitting the mainland — is not bad," the official said. "His objective is not bad."
I'm sure that's exactly the kind of thing that the official is telling themselves at night. "Well, sure, the President wanted to fucking nuke hurricanes, but at least he's trying to stop hurricanes."
But . . . would it work???? :lol:
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Hurricanes are the results of built up energy (thermal) in the oceans and atmosphere. Surely the best way to stop them is to add more fuel to the fire in the form of a thermonuclear explosion. The result, beyond any radioactive fallout, would be to create massive superstorms that would far more destructive than any season's worth of typical hurricanes.

It is a stupid idea from a stupid man.

MYT
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Don't worry everyone. The President calls the nuking hurricane story fake news!

Hodor.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:49 am Don't worry everyone. The President calls the nuking hurricane story fake news!

The fact that no one blinked an eye tells us more about him than "fake news."

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

You are here by ordered to witness another Trump con job in 3 acts over a weekend - sheer brilliance at play!

Act 1 - rocks markets with Tariff tweets!

Act 2 - soothes markets by saying that the Chinese want to talk - HE IS WINNING THE TRADE WAR!

Act 3 - denouement - it appears to be bullshit as usual

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sometimes one of Trump's handlers will call him on the play phone they gave him and pretend to be various world leaders so Trumpie feels popular.
Now depoliticized.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

2015 called, they want their credibility back.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

The message that conservative media is running with is that the MSM and democrats are purposely trying to tank the economy because that's the only way they think the Dems can win in 2020. I heard this line from multiple people who like to parrot conservative media talking points. Not sure how actually reporting facts and truth has now turned into "the MSM is trying to tank the economy". :roll:
FTE
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:00 am Sometimes one of Trump's handlers will call him on the play phone they gave him and pretend to be various world leaders so Trumpie feels popular.
The mind goes to Ivanka forcing some intern to do a 1930s Charlie Chan on the call.

MYT
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Scraper wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:29 am The message that conservative media is running with is that the MSM and democrats are purposely trying to tank the economy because that's the only way they think the Dems can win in 2020. I heard this line from multiple people who like to parrot conservative media talking points. Not sure how actually reporting facts and truth has now turned into "the MSM is trying to tank the economy". :roll:
I think Trump himself has made this accusation as well. Who knows whether he came up with it himself or got it off Fox.
Hodor.
malchior

Post by malchior »

You know what I love is that Trump just got free wall-to-wall coverage (literally) about his resort in Doral. I flipped station to station to hear the same press conference on *every* channel. You know when he gives press conferences because his business interests are in the center of it. A highlight adjacent to that; answering a question about him profiting from the Presidency, he claims he is giving up 3-5 billion in "lost opportunities". :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Prove it! :coffee:
Scraper wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:29 am The message that conservative media is running with is that the MSM and democrats are purposely trying to tank the economy because that's the only way they think the Dems can win in 2020. I heard this line from multiple people who like to parrot conservative media talking points. Not sure how actually reporting facts and truth has now turned into "the MSM is trying to tank the economy". :roll:
The cult can't accept that Trump can get anything wrong. It is funny that Boris Johnson literally said Trump would take a lot of a global recession on the chin personally. And yet even with an "ally" pointing out reality they can't see it. You can't get through to these people.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

malchior wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:22 am You know what I love is that Trump just got free wall-to-wall coverage (literally) about his resort in Doral. I flipped station to station to hear the same press conference on *every* channel. You know when he gives press conferences because his business interests are in the center of it. A highlight adjacent to that; answering a question about him profiting from the Presidency, he claims he is giving up 3-5 billion in "lost opportunities". :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Prove it! :coffee:
The cult can't accept that Trump can get anything wrong. It is funny that Boris Johnson literally said Trump would take a lot of a global recession on the chin personally. And yet even with an "ally" pointing out reality they can't see it. You can't get through to these people.
Political Bias is a powerful thing. Many people on all sides of the political spectrum will immediately believe anything negative about the other side and immediately dismiss anything negative about their side. This seems to be especially strong with Trump's base.
FTE
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Grifman wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:22 am
Beyond the radioactivity, I'm worried about the sharknados this would cause.
Well, I'm pretty sure this news story will inspire Sharknado 7: Radioactive Boogaloo.

(I had to look it up, and good lord, there have been six Sharknado movies)
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:48 am

The mind goes to Number One SonDaughter forcing some intern to do a 1930s Charlie Chan on the call.
Fixed that for you.