[SI AAR] Octopus Underlords - WE'RE ALL DONE!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

tgb

Re: [SI AAR] Octopus Underlords

Post by tgb »

I don't think it matters with 1.05a, but from Vic's blog, if one of us goes to b, we all have to.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I'm still using 1.05a for right now. If the other 2 games I'm in update to the latest then I'll go ahead and do it.

Edit:
maybe that's not right. here's what it says in the bottom corner of my title screen.
v 1.05 beta

So if you aren't to 1.05 beta make sure you're updated to it so we don't have problems. I did not update to the 2nd version of 1.05 beta yet though.
tgb

Post by tgb »

WHO'S THE IDIOT THAT PURCHASED THE ODD PORTRAIT WITH 8 TOKENS YET TO BE DRAWN????? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I guess someone didn't notice the 1 Prestige/turn upkeep. And now he's stuck. Sucker.
Spoiler:
I forgot to mention that I put in a bid for the Lance of the Leper King last turn, which I won. Yay, me.

Vendetta time: Razzledazzle vs. Butterfinger. Drinkzilla vs. Slobbertooth (single combat).

My Loot the Vaults ritual was successful, so even though I gave up 3 Tribute cards to Chazzlesschaps, I got 4 back in return.

Speaking of Chapstickeroth, he has two juicy targets ripe for Pilferage - the Hellfire Ballista, and, even better, Temuluchas, one of the most powerful Praetors in the game. I just need a little more Darkness again so I can steal them both.

Since Slobbermask is already involved in a Vendetta, I made a demand on him for 2 Tribute, despite the fact that he is a Prince. I don't think he wants to risk 2 Vendettas, and he's at the bottom of the Infernal Totem Pole with only 10 Prestige.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
ZOD

Post by ZOD »

Shit, I bought the portrait. No chance of winning at this point, anyway. At least I'm not a contender -- then I'd really be pissed. ;)

Which reminds me -- it sure would be nice if the damn upkeep on these things was displayed on the bid screen, rather than having to close out the Ministirium and scrutinize everything in the Bazaar. That's probably my biggest peeve with the design at this point. Or at least a symbol on the card that showed it required upkeep in the first place! I don't mind being a 'sucker' for screw-ups in strategy and planning, or even bad luck, but being penalized for failing to notice a piece of info like that smacks more of me not jumping through the requisite hoops than doing something truly stupid. I didn't even know anything in this game aside from two legions required upkeep -- it's so rare I don't even think about it.

Still and all, live and learn. Nobody said Hell was fair.
Spoiler:
In other news, Praetor smackdown time with Drench. I have a decent-ish fighter, but nothing stellar. We'll see how things turn out.
tgb

Post by tgb »

If it's any consolation, I did the same thing in one of my first games. I suspect a lot of others did as well.

Still, there's been plenty of talk both on the official forums and over at Qt3 as to the best time to grab it.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Huh, I didn't know "tgb" was hell-ish for "great big weenie". Interesting. :twisted:
Spoiler:
tgb conceded to my demand, which is not so neat. On the other hand, BK has moved all of his legions right up to my border. I may have to throw another demand his way soon.

Some jerk decided to loot my vaults, which sucks and annoys me. Fortunately, he didn't manage to get the 6 soul/6 ichor card that I'd just consolidated. That's happened before, and it's massively frustrating. Since he didn't get it, I was able to afford to boost my charisma to 3, which should help my resources.

I'm regent next turn, so I'm hoping for a wicked sweet event card. I'll probably get something dumb. I'm still going to try and poke BK anyway. Hopefully he gets cocky and lets me declare vendetta. I bet I can take out at least two of his legions.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Spoiler:
So I am continuing to get hit by Rituals that steal my tribute cards... and since I got a whole cart-load of tribute cards this turn from my event, I best spend them before I lose them. I'm going to spend it on big ticket items too, like upping my charisma to 4. And if I want any hope of taking Pandemonium and beating back the rivals, I need to start buying some weapons. So I'm getting the Orb of Oblivion* (I hope) and another Praetor who hopefully will be fighting in the Vendetta against Slorb.

My Negotiations Ritual from last turn failed again, I'm giving up on it. Which is fine, since I've decided I'm out of the Prestige race anyway and am going full bore for a military victory. You best get ready Conclave, 'cause I'm going to be banging on the Gates of Pandemonium sooner than you think.

*The Orb of Oblivion has a good chance of killing an enemy Legion if it kills my Legion it is attached too. I plan on turning my flying Legion into Hell's equivalent of a cruise missle.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

The turns just keep chugging along.
Spoiler:
So I'm continuing to buy up junk from the Bazaar this turn.. but I've run out of money too, so I'm going to grab some more tribute.

Here's what I put a bid on this turn - and since my Legions already move slow the 'Ponderous' trait doesn't bother me at all.

And here's who I'm sending to beat up Slorb.

And speaking of beating up Slorb, it looks like Sheriff is getting in on the action has made a demand of him. Also, Butterpits has won his sissy vendetta against AI-Razgon and gained 20 more prestige. He's pretty much unbeatable now, so I'm glad with the decision I've made to take the Throne by force.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Spoiler:
Damn. Still not enough Darkness to do anything. Nothing to do this turn but demand Tribute and wait for Slobbertooth's reply to my Demand.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Here's how the Praetor fight between Slbroghast and I went: :tjg:
Spoiler:
Seriously, it was that bad. Our Praetors killed each other in the second round... both were banished to the abyss and we both lost the Prestige. There are no winners in hell.

My situation is becoming increasingly desperate. I was hit by an event that took a further 10 prestige from me... and Butterknife has decided to demand a large sum of tribute from me. I'm not willing to give up the few tribute cards I have, so it looks like it will be war. I likely won't win it, but if all he wants is the face in the sand, then he can have it. I don't care about Prestige anymore anyway!
tgb

Post by tgb »

Spoiler:
Slobberbutt refused to accede to my demands, but i don't currently have a Praetor that can take his on - so no Vendetta.

Elsewhere, I still need more Darkness so nothing to do except slap my imps some more and demand the proper Tribute.

I'm stalemated for now - but not for long :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Spoiler:
I'm making another attempt at getting into a fight with BK. Unfortunately, I'm running into what's either a problem with the game or with my understanding of it. Namely, if you're out to a healthy lead, there's no particularly good reason to let anyone fight you. I fully anticipate that BK is going to accede to my demand again, take the prestige hit, and get it back shortly, so I can't fight him and gain any ground. Same problem down south with the Sheriff.

I'm sure there's a nuance I'm missing. I'm pretty dumb. The only thing I can think to do is keep demanding, and I may even start tossing insults to see if that goads him into a fight. I've still got my 2x ranged praetor in my pocket, so I'm hoping that whenever he finally does allow a vendetta to happen, I'll be able to surprise him with it, as well as use my deception powers to either lock down or move his legions toward me so my big nasty guy can roll them up.

Last turn, I boosted my charisma, and got hit with a looting the vaults that I'm told is from Slib. I have no faith in this, and I'm blaming one of the other guys. If I get more resources, I'm going to have to start using dark augury to check out my opponents. I might also take a secret objective, but I've never taken one before, so I have no idea what to expect. Still, I'm in no position to win as it is, so it's not like it can hurt.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Chaz:
Spoiler:
If someone accedes to three straight demands, you can claim vendetta on them through a diplomatic option. So you can't avoid a fight forever by simply giving into demands (though you can stall it quite a bit)
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Gah! Don't let a little thing like an OOtage stop you guys. Update!! Update!!! Update!!!!

:)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

During the OOtage,
Spoiler:
My Situation went from bad to worse. I told butterknife to shove it when he came to me to demanding tribute last turn... and while the Conclave was relating this to him Slorbhgast showed up on my doorstep again with more demands. 4 tribute cards. I gave them to him. He's got a stronger army than I do, and he's even more desperate. I think he has only 14 prestige at the moment, so nothing to lose really. I have somewhere around 60-70 and no army, plus I'm his neighbor. Perfect target. So I'm getting it from both ends, Slorb & Butter. The lowliest Archdemon and the most powerful are both gunning for me. I'm considering asking either Chazz or Tgb if they'd have me for a Blood Vassal at this point.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Yes, much has happened during the OOtage.
Spoiler:
I've acquired the Praetor Haagenti, who I've stationed to support the garrison inside the Temple of Lust. His +5 Melee should help me hold onto it until the end of the game.

I also have enough Darkness now to pilfer Temulchulus away from Chazzholeteeth. Also, Drinkula and Butternut are involved in a Vendetta. I'll be watching the outcome eagerly.

My next two goals are to steal the Hellfire Ballista, and get my Cunning up to Level 5, which will not only allow me to pilfer some juicy Artifacts, but pin the blame on someone else as well.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Spoiler:
Well, apparently the best solution is going to be to throw money at the problem. BK has once again acceded to my demand, so no taking PoPs from him. Apparently he's a wimp. ASAP, I'm going to be demanding from him again because that'll be the third (I think), and either way, I get to fight him.

Since I'm having no luck convincing anyone to fight me, I'm going to spend money. Somehow I ended up with 15 each of souls, darkness, and ichor. There are two relics in the bazaar that each give +1 prestige that have been there a while. Their combined cost is 15 each souls and darkness. I'm bidding on both. If I win both (and I think I will), then that puts me up to +5 prestige per turn, so I'll at least stay even with the Sheriff and one ahead of BK.

I'm also issuing another demand of the Sheriff. I suspect he's going to give me what I want because I think he's involved in a fight on another front. After that, I'm going to start poking the guys to my east. Hopefully I can either goad one into a fight or at least take some cards and prestige off them.

I'm gonna be honest here, I've totally forgotten what my public goal is. I think it's to steal a bunch of stuff. If so, I should get on that stick. Too bad I just spent all my darkness. :D
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

The new patch is now official. When are we planning on updating? I have another game active and one that seems to have fallen apart that I'll have to coordinate with.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I'm already running the first beta of 1.05. I think if we all upgrade to the released 1.05 before submitting our next turns we should be fine.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Chaz wrote:The new patch is now official. When are we planning on updating? I have another game active and one that seems to have fallen apart that I'll have to coordinate with.
I'm in that game too, and since it's likely over I'm not going to worry about it.
The other game I have going at the moment (besides this one) is the OO2.

I have all of your turns, after I process them I'll update to the final 1.05, so all of you can go ahead and update now if you haven't already.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I'll upgrade to the final 1.05 before I send back the next turn.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Spoiler:
About the only good thing I can say is that Butter didn't take a POP or kill one of my Legions on the first turn of Vendetta, he only took a Canton. ..and curiously he has given me an opportunity to kill his Legion. I'm going to try, I have little to lose at this point. Slorb has also decided to make demands of tgb now... at least he's going to go after others besides me.

I have also drawn an event card this turn that will randomly do -1 point to a stat for all players. I'll hold onto it for just a bit so I can prepare for its coming and minimize its effect on me.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I just got an email with the last turn processed. Should I get 1.05 before I proceed?
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

tgb wrote:I just got an email with the last turn processed. Should I get 1.05 before I proceed?

yep.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Spoiler:
My attempt to steal away Temuluchus was unsuccessful. Normally not a big deal, but I just haven't been pulling in a lot of Darkness, and the loss of 4 hurt.

Slobbertooth issued a demand for 3 Tribute, which I refused. If he decides to claim Vendetta, it will have to be with Praetor combat, since he has no access to my territory. Haagenti should prove formidable in one-on-one combat, but just in case I also recruit Zuur from the Bazaar as backup.

Speaking of the Bazaar, a number of artifacts and relics purchased this turn. I'll have to see if Butterfinger picked up anything to increase his Prestige generation from 4/turn to 5/turn.
stessier

Post by stessier »

If possible, could someone post the picture that shows everyone's current prestige?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
tgb

Post by tgb »

stessier wrote:If possible, could someone post the picture that shows everyone's current prestige?
Spoiler:
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Spoiler:
I don't know if anyone else has done this yet, but here's the prestige standing right now:

This is after I set my orders, so I'm 4 prestige down.

I won both auctions for the +prestige relics, so those are going in my relic chamber and stronghold this turn. I also decided to toss an insult and Drenichera. If he takes it, I get a bonus four prestige. If he refuses it, I get to fight. If he goes ground war, I can at least take one or two of his places of power. If he goes single combat, I'm pretty sure my elephant guy can hold his own.

So far I've held off on insulting because I didn't want to lose control of setting the terms of the vendetta. However, what I forgot about is that having the vendetta on their terms means that I have slightly less risk. Meaning, I can take as few or as many PoPs as I'm able to. If I were setting the terms, going for a high target might mean missing it and losing prestige, while going low means I can't take as much.

Meanwhile, the Sheriff and BK are both still gaining points. I need to convince one of them to fight me soon, or that gap's going to stay there. Maybe by fighting someone else, and closing the gap, they'll decide a fight to widen it might be okay, especially if I insult them and let them set the terms. Or they could pull something out of their pocket and surprise me. One or the other.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Spoiler:
uh. My strike against Butterknife failed. His Legion won the initiative and gained a +3 bonus to melee, too much for them to beat. It could have gone my way too, I'm just not having much luck. Chazz has insulted me as well, I have no choice but to accept it. I am the official punching bag.

I'm going to attempt to pay Butterknife back this turn, by destroying his Legions with Rituals. I have the resources, and a decent chance, I must try.

As for long term plans, I'm no longer even strong enough for Plan B - take Pandemonium. Plan C is to sit back and survive long enough for a dues ex machina.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Nothing to do this turn but
Spoiler:
assign Zuul to the Disciples of the High Sheriff of Hell, who are guarding the Temple of Lust (Jeebus, I love the sound of that), and gather more Tribute.

I'm still waiting to see if Silverghost has the cajones to declare Vendetta.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Spoiler:
Not much to report except that I'm stupid. My minions didn't notice that the text for the +1 prestige on my new Alien God in a Bottle said that I have to put it in a place of power or stronghold. Of course, I put it in a ritual slot. Brilliant. I now also realize that I was dumb in my reassignment. I just sent off an order to move it from the ritual slot to a space in the Mines of Gehenna, which is vulnerable, instead of putting it in the second slot of my stronghold, where it's less vulnerable. :grund: :grund: :grund:

So one order was spent half fixing my stupidity. The other two are moving my legions toward the border with Drach in case a fight's a brewin'. I really don't think he'll fight me though.
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

Spoiler:
Things continue to go OK, but not as well as I had hoped. One lucky event this turn however -- Archinerd/Drenichra attempted to kill my flying unit with one of his units that was more powerful, but I got a lucky roll and he lost his unit. How unfortunate for him. :)

Unfortunately for me, tgb has launched himself into 1st place, and there is nothing I can do about it. I will continue to prosecute as many vendettas as possible against my neighbors to try to regain my advantage in prestige points. I should be able to take a Place of Power from Archinerd/Drenichra this turn, which will let me gain more prestige/turn and puts me into position to attack Razgon/AI again.
Woe is me, tgb has pulled into 1st place! I must do something about that.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Butterfingers wrote:Woe is me, tgb has pulled into 1st place! I must do something about that.
I have? I see I have 134 prestige to your 156. Not that I won't whip your sorry behind before the game is over.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Spoiler:
This is what is camping next to my border.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Well, crap. Butterfinger just kicked Drunkchera's tail in a Vendetta, and not only picked up a shitload of Prestige, but the Face in the Sand, as well. That means he's now earning 5P/turn as I am, and even with the bonus for keeping the Temple of Lust, I'll still only finish second if nothing else changes. Time to alter my strategy.
Spoiler:
Sloberfist did go ahead and claim Vendetta against me, but could only wager 4 Prestige. I was mistaken about her not having access, so I moved the Disciples to one of the two hexes we share a border with.

I could go after Butterbeans with an insult or a demand, but he has nothing to lose by declaring Vendetta against me, and I don't think I can win if he does, so I hit him with a Loot the Vaults, hoping to weaken him a bit.
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

tgb pulled ahead momentarily because he has accomplished his public objective, and I have not. His light was brief, as I was able to put myself back into the lead. Soon, my pretties. Soon you will all dance for me.
Spoiler:
Here are the prestige scores:

Here is my current tactical situation:

As we can see, I was able to capture the Face in the Sand, which brings me to +5 prestige/turn (the same as tgb). Archinerd/Drenichra put up a good fight, but I lucked out again. The Face in the Sand gives me +2 to Destruction rolls, so his Destruction attempts from now on will be even less likely to succeed (so far, none of them have anyway). That didn't stop him from trying, though:

So what is my strategy from here? It is probably pretty obvious to the others, but I am going to bait the AI (Razgon) into another vendetta if at all possible. I'll probably try to kill one of his units with my flying unit -- they have fly 4 and have been very useful throughout the game, hopping around and causing all sorts of problems for my enemies. The flying unit is stronger than 3 of his units. His unit furthest to the left is stronger than all of my units, but I hope to be able to kill one unit (ending the vendetta) before he can respond. Assuming of course that he refuses my demand. Because of my low rank, I had to wager 9 prestige and I could only demand 1 tribute card -- that sort of thing has let me wage a lot of vendettas, because most people are willing to risk a fight with me for the large amount of prestige.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

the pain and suffering never ends, especially when butterknife is your neighbor.
Spoiler:
Another Vendetta failed.
I did little with my actual turn, but I did attempt to broker a deal with two of my in game friends.

First off, I told Sblorg that if he wanted to take Pandemonium, I would help him. I actually will too if it comes to that. The problem is, he has to go through me to get there. I hope he can find another way to go.

I also told Chazz that I would be willing to be his Blood Vassal. This would get him enough prestige to be a contender for first place right beside tgb and Butterknife. Chazz doesn't have quite enough prestige at the moment to take me on though, but he's close. I don't know if he will though, I'm sure my Sloth ability looks suspicious to him.

So 2 offers are on the table, and I can only honor one of them. Maybe I won't get a chance to honor any of them though.
If not, I will continue to slowly build up my strength and take Pandemonium myself. The others seem to be leaving me alone for the moment, so it might happen.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Spoiler:
Disaster! Slobberboy's Disciples whipped mine, not only costing me a legion but giving him a clear shot at the Temple of Lust. Meanwhile, Jizzteroth hurled an insult my way, and I had no choice by to take it, costing another 5 Pestige.

The best thing I can do right now is make another play for Temuluchas, rebuild, wait for the Disciples to reform, and try to take the Temple back by game's end (assuming I lose it, which I believe I will at this point.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Spoiler:
Drenichra just made the interesting proposal that I take him as a blood vassal. Basically, this means that he's my official underling, his prestige gets counted toward mine at game's end, and if I win, he takes second place. The trick is that I need to have twice his prestige and cantons to be able to set up that relationship. I'd need 120 to do that, which I don't have. I also forgot to check our canton situation. We may need to get into a vendetta to set this up, and we're rapidly running out of time.

The other trick is that there's a perk called The Power Behind the Throne, which basically says if your Blood Lord wins, then you win instead. I need to see if I can do some scrying to find out if he's got that. If he does, then I'll try and convince him to get into a vendetta, take his land and some prestige, and then refuse his attempt to be a vassal, plus send a message to the other two leaders warning them. :D I'm not sure how likely this scenario is.

Other than that, an uneventful turn. I need more tribute badly, since my two relic purchases cleaned me out in souls and darkness. I'm waiting on the Sheriff's reply to my insult. Since he's involved with a war on another front, I think he's going to accept it. In anticipation of that, I sent another insult to BK. He frankly looks like he's trying to take Pandemonium, so he'll probably accept that too. If he takes Pandemonium, I'm not sure that I can get there in time to do anything about it, but I'll try. If not, hopefully someone else can dislodge him.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Spoiler:
Chazz & Sblorg have replied to my messages.

Not bad, not bad. At the very least I have some respite.
I'm going to actively work to join up with Chazz now, the first order of business is to take my prestige gaining book out of the public display. This will make it easier to become Blood Vassal. I will also continue to build wealth to increase the strength of my Legions.

Oh, and one other interesting thing happened. Slorb took the Temple of Lust from tgb. His lead is slipping even as Butterballs is pressing the Archfiend formally known as Razgon into a Blood Feud, in order to quench his wrath.