Divinity: Original Sin

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Madmarcus

Re: Divinity: Original Sin

Post by Madmarcus »

IceBear wrote:
Spoiler:
Above the fireplace? Ouch, sorry if that's a bug. Actually I don't think I found the crabs vs pirates quest. I cleared out all the areas I thought but must have missed something
Wow; unless I'm blind I don't even have the other object you mention in that room.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Spoiler:
Did you fight the crab man hybrid thing next to the room with the it explodes if it moves room? The room that's next to that with the door that leads down to the father and daughter ghosts there was a painting on the wall over what I thought was a fireplace. It's been awhile since I was there so maybe my memory is wrong. I remember there was something hidden there, but since I never even found the quest you're talking about maybe we're talking about different things
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

IceBear wrote:
Spoiler:
Did you fight the crab man hybrid thing next to the room with the it explodes if it moves room? The room that's next to that with the door that leads down to the father and daughter ghosts there was a painting on the wall over what I thought was a fireplace. It's been awhile since I was there so maybe my memory is wrong. I remember there was something hidden there, but since I never even found the quest you're talking about maybe we're talking about different things
We are talking about the same thing but there is no
Spoiler:
fireplace
. Yes the nearby effect had also
Spoiler:
moved/destroyed
the picture so I just had to hunt for the pixels.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Ah, like I said my memory is failing . I managed to avoid that effect from going off, but I thought the alt key showed it. Oh well
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Found an annoying bug today:

Clicked on the Glass Cannon Talent on my main caster. When I saw how much Vitality he had left I decided I didn't want to keep it so I removed it before clicking the green "accept" checkmark.

The character's HP dropped to half (the level where it would have been with Glass Cannon enabled) and would not rise above that even with healing. I wound up being forced to choose Glass Cannon because I was getting the penalty without any of the benefits.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I really need some help with Jake's murder.
Spoiler:
I was able to keep Murphy the DOg alive this time, but got nowhere with the mortician. I confronted Esmeralda, which did no good. Bringing the stinky panties back to the dog got me nowhere.

From other hints I've read, I have to get into the basement of her living quarters, but nobody in my party has Sneak or Lockpick, so I can't seem to get in. I thought even with 0 sneak I might be able to pickpocket a key, but couldn't get close enough.

Bottom line: Is there a way to progress in the murder quest without getting into Esmeralda's basement? Because I can't find a way to get there.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

You don't need to do anything there to progress, actually
Spoiler:
The mortician gave a list of other suspects... If you focus on them, you will progress
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

tgb wrote:I really need some help with Jake's murder.
Spoiler:
I have been able to open every door and chest I've come across so far without pickpocketing anything or (aside from the tutorial dungeon) picking any locks. Search carefully for keys, buttons, levers, and hidden doors/trapdoors. The ALT key is your friend.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Spoiler:
Go upstairs in Esmeralda's house, you should find a key to her back room. From there use the trapdoor in the floor in the adjacent room. Search the basement for what you need; don't forget to move things! Talking to rats might help.
tgb

Post by tgb »

IceBear wrote:You don't need to do anything there to progress, actually
Spoiler:
The mortician gave a list of other suspects... If you focus on them, you will progress
Spoiler:
I couldn't get him to spit anything useful out. I kept losing the rps mini-game.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Lordnine wrote:
Spoiler:
Go upstairs in Esmeralda's house, you should find a key to her back room. From there use the trapdoor in the floor in the adjacent room. Search the basement for what you need; don't forget to move things! Talking to rats might help.
I can't get into the room with the trap door without being stopped by the security guard. I did come up with another idea I'm going to try:
Spoiler:
There is a locked back door to Esmeralda's. I couldn't break it down with melee weapons (already tried that) but perhaps if my archer shot enough fire arrows into it........
I'll let you know how it goes.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

tgb wrote:
Lordnine wrote:
Spoiler:
I can't get into the room with the trap door without being stopped by the security guard. I did come up with another idea I'm going to try:
Spoiler:
There is a locked back door to Esmeralda's. I couldn't break it down with melee weapons (already tried that) but perhaps if my archer shot enough fire arrows into it........
Try talking to people. They're generally very polite and turn to face you.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

tgb wrote:
Lordnine wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
The key to the back door should be upstairs in her house. Don't use the door that is inside. Walk around the back of the house and use your key on that door. It connects to the trap door room.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Lordnine wrote:
tgb wrote:
Lordnine wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
The key to the back door should be upstairs in her house. Don't use the door that is inside. Walk around the back of the house and use your key on that door. It connects to the trap door room.
Thanks. That did it. I tried using my party to distract the guard, but I guess I could never get them positioned correctly.
Jag

Post by Jag »

You can separate a party member while another one is engaged in dialog. It helps when doing things you don't want to get caught.
tgb

Post by tgb »

The worst thing about the design is the trading system.

If you are examining a weapon or piece of armor, the stats are compared to the weapon of the character who initiated the trade. Even if you change characters in mid-trade, it still compares stats to the active character, and you can't change active characters while the trade interface is open. So if you have a spellcaster start a trade, and the NPC you are trading with has a sweet two-handed hammer, you have to back out of the trading screen, out of the dialogue, switch to your melee guy, and start the process all over again.

It's stupid and I hate it.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

tgb wrote:It's stupid and I hate it.
I hope you've provided Larian with some feedback on this and why you hate it. They've already made a ton of changes based on user input and they do listen much more than most developers do to their users so there's a very good chance you could get this changed in a patch if you report it.
Exodor wrote:I wound up being forced to choose Glass Cannon because I was getting the penalty without any of the benefits.
This is one of the main reasons that in CRPGs I always save before I mess with level up stats/skills. Just in case something goes badly wrong or I change my mind afterwards for some reason. I just keep a save called "levelup" and it gets overwritten each time I level. It's a habit for me now.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yeah I kind of suspect tgb comment on trading is actually more of a bug than how they intend it to work, so I would definitely point it out to them.
tgb

Post by tgb »

IceBear wrote:Yeah I kind of suspect tgb comment on trading is actually more of a bug than how they intend it to work, so I would definitely point it out to them.
If it's a bug it's affecting everybody, so they either already know about it or it's not a bug. Someone suggested that it works this way because it was designed for co-op games where you only controlled 1, or, at the most, 2 characters.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

tgb wrote:
IceBear wrote:Yeah I kind of suspect tgb comment on trading is actually more of a bug than how they intend it to work, so I would definitely point it out to them.
If it's a bug it's affecting everybody, so they either already know about it or it's not a bug. Someone suggested that it works this way because it was designed for co-op games where you only controlled 1, or, at the most, 2 characters.
Possibly. It just makes me wonder, for example, if it's showing the initiator's gear, is it also using that character's stats. I agree that if it's a bug it effects everyone and it probably does have its roots in coop, but I would think they'll change the behavior if asked
tgb

Post by tgb »

IceBear wrote:
tgb wrote:
Possibly. It just makes me wonder, for example, if it's showing the initiator's gear, is it also using that character's stats. I agree that if it's a bug it effects everyone and it probably does have its roots in coop, but I would think they'll change the behavior if asked
I didn't make myself clear. You can change the gear that's shown in inventory, but when comparing a piece of equipment you might want to purchase to whatever is currently equipped, it only goes by what the initiator is using. And it's so obvious after you have a party of 3 or 4 it has to be by design. If it was a bug it would have been squashed long ago.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I understood what you're saying I experienced it myself - I was looking at a new sword for my fighter and was wondering why they were comparing it to my wizard's staff. I am being loose with the definition of bug. I want to believe it's an oversight on their part and that they had bigger things to tackle first. What I was wondering, because I haven't bothered to actually look at it close enough, is if it's showing the initiator's gear, might it also be using the initiator' bartering skill which would be more serious.

Anyway, we seem to be misunderstanding each other, so I am out. I can just reiterate what ColdSteel suggested and recommend that you explain your issue to them. I am sure they'll fix it when they can. Heck, we've had daily patches
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

IceBear wrote:I want to believe it's an oversight on their part and that they had bigger things to tackle first. What I was wondering, because I haven't bothered to actually look at it close enough, is if it's showing the initiator's gear, might it also be using the initiator' bartering skill which would be more serious.
I have confirmed it is using the initiator's barter skill.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Madmarcus wrote:
IceBear wrote:I want to believe it's an oversight on their part and that they had bigger things to tackle first. What I was wondering, because I haven't bothered to actually look at it close enough, is if it's showing the initiator's gear, might it also be using the initiator' bartering skill which would be more serious.
I have confirmed it is using the initiator's barter skill.
This is not a bug. The person initiating the barter is bartering on behalf of the entire party, allowing him to get good prices for everyone. It was designed this way.
Insert witty comment here.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yeah, not saying it's a bug per se, but a design decision that not all of us agree with (displaying the equipment of the original character as opposed to the active one). The fact that it's using the original character's barter skill is probably why the equipment displayed is the same. Hopefully they will make something that satisfies everyone
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Turning the difficulty down to Easy has made a world of difference in terms of my ability to enjoy this game.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Chris and I have been playing co-op. We have somehow been consistently under leveled and are only starting to catch up now. We’ve been winning fights against character 2 levels above us but it usually comes down the wire. I started out as a melee rogue/witch hunter but have switched almost entirely to an archer. The special arrows are just way too useful in the larger fights.
map

Post by map »

I think I need to be spoiled. I am missing something.
Spoiler:
I have Evelyn's lab marked on the map but I cannot find a way down to that area.
Peace through Strength
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Spoiler:
Did you search her house? You need something in there

BTW, you can't get to it from the west. I could have sworn everything was telling me to go west, but I could not find a way through from the western beaches. Ended up going north, east, north, then west to get there.
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

Hard game. I finally have started wining some out of town battles with my level 5 characters. I have a bunch of points saved up so I think now it's time to upgrade some stats and get better equipment.
AKA: Dajjer
map

Post by map »

Did search.
Spoiler:
Can't go any further north without beating some level 8 fire dead. I am level 5 and seem to be out of ways to get more experince
Peace through Strength
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I think you can skip those if you stay on the north side of the stream and enter the cave to the east.

I know I managed to get to Evelyn around level 5 or 6
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Man, I need to start playing this. It's been sitting in my list of games while I do work. Kind of want to wait for a co-op partner though.

Seeing all these spoiler boxes is like being at the release of one of the classic RPGs way back when, and not being to gush with friends about it.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

As of today, this is now also available on GOG.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Hey guys stupid question (and I may have already asked this!!! but I can't find the answer) how do you know how many action points you have?
Black Lives Matter
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

The number you have at the start of the fight is based on Perception, the number you get each round is based on Speed. I don't know the exact formula though.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

It seems like multiple stats contribute to action points. Speed seems to directly relate but I also had more action points when I was wearing a Dex +1 armor than when I got rid of it.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Zurai wrote:The number you have at the start of the fight is based on Perception, the number you get each round is based on Speed. I don't know the exact formula though.
What number? Where can I see it??? It's driving me nuts trying to play the game.
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Lorini wrote:
Zurai wrote:The number you have at the start of the fight is based on Perception, the number you get each round is based on Speed. I don't know the exact formula though.
What number? Where can I see it??? It's driving me nuts trying to play the game.
I have to get back to playing the game after a bit of a lull so I'm not 100% certain but isn't it represented graphically at the bottom of the screen the number of AP you have as dots on a line like a number line?
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Lorini wrote:
Here you go.

Enlarge Image

During combat it is also the dots above your action bar.