Galactic Civilizations III Released!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

JonathanStrange

Re: Galactic Civilizations III Announced!

Post by JonathanStrange »

Mr. Fed wrote:My hope is that, even without tactical combat, you'll be able to see how ship design and tech focus decisions impact combat.

Just shoving two piles of numbers at each other is kinda dull.
Yeah, that's mostly what I'd like to see: the effect of researched equipment and ship design in battle. Their current idea of pre-battle formations would be cool too. Ultimately, for me, tactical combat is only an occasional thing anyhow. I do like setting some parameters like fleet composition and battle formations, sort of like some of those old ancient history games (like Centurion?) where you just assigned a formation from a template of options and rolled the dice.
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013
ezmacncheese

Post by ezmacncheese »

Hmm looks like the early access is 50% off on Steam. The lover of space 4X in me wants to jump at this but the skeptic in me wonders why they are giving half off the price...

What is the general opinion of how the game is shaping up?
RMC

Post by RMC »

ezmacncheese wrote:Hmm looks like the early access is 50% off on Steam. The lover of space 4X in me wants to jump at this but the skeptic in me wonders why they are giving half off the price...

What is the general opinion of how the game is shaping up?
Still really early, but looks like a good solid normal Gal Civ game. I have not seen anything earth shattering different from the past ones but still in beta. And I have not played it a ton, as I buy these things to support the developer and wait until it is released. :)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

If you keep opening the oven door to peek, it will never finish baking. I've seen nothing to indicate it won't be at least as good as Gal Civ 2, and that game was excellent. But I won't look at it until it's done.
Black Lives Matter
RMC

Post by RMC »

I think early access done right does not suffer from too many cooks in the kitchen. If anything as long as the company is willing to listen to people who put their money into the project already, they can improve the project.

Take a look at Wasteland 2, they listened to feedback from the kickstarter and early access folks and the game was better for it.

And I know, your analogy of the oven was not referring to this aspect, but just wanted to chime in. :)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Picked it up last night and I have to say, it's pretty impressive so far. I need to spend some more time with it though. I doubt it will unseat Distant Worlds when it comes to the best 4x game, but I'm still enjoying myself with it.
Now depoliticized.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

RMC wrote:I think early access done right does not suffer from too many cooks in the kitchen. If anything as long as the company is willing to listen to people who put their money into the project already, they can improve the project.

Take a look at Wasteland 2, they listened to feedback from the kickstarter and early access folks and the game was better for it.

And I know, your analogy of the oven was not referring to this aspect, but just wanted to chime in. :)
I remember the days when beta testing was a tightly managed process and those willing to put up with the arduous process got a free game in compensation for their ordeal. Paying for the pain? Unthinkable. In most cases, a free game wasn't nearly enough.

When you rely on random reports (which very few volunteers bother to file), you don't really get to interactively get to the root cause of the problem or have testers available to try out solutions. Or do companies still use managed testers? I suspect some do, some don't. In any case, beta testing is an arduous process that for the most part sucks any enjoyment out of a game long before it's ready for prime time. I stopped being a compensated tester because it destroyed any enthusiasm for games I was previously looking forward to playing.

FTR, Gal Civ 3 was one of the few games I purchased in advance (a few months ago, during one of the discount sales). I'm fairly certain given extensive experience with other games in the series that it's going to be something I like. I'm not going to bother downloading it until it's done. (and maybe even not right then since gaming season will largely be over when this is done).
Black Lives Matter
Rip

Post by Rip »

I'm in as well. Haven't looked very deep into it yet, but hope to this weekend.

What I did see in the five minutes I looked at so far is promising. GalCiv II always left me wanting just a little more so I am pretty stoked that this version may deliver on much of that.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

At 50% off how can I refuse? Actually looking forward to trying it out. Various game play videos helped make my decision.

Of course, I liked the videos for Beyond Earth and that was a disappointment...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Rip

Post by Rip »

Been playing a little bit this morning. Having a good time so far. Just wish I had a better idea of what I should do sometimes. Things like where to build starbases and whether I should build another scout or constructor, where to build planetary improvements, etc area little beyond me at the moment.

So I just play at an easier level and winging it. I figure with the opponents being set to beginner and the universe on easy should let me recover from my noobness. Which is sad I have owned the previous iterations and just didn't play enough to learn much. I also set it to immense with all the opponents. I figure that way I can explore all the research and not have to fight for some time.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

I liked Gal Civ 2 so what the heck, 50% off sounds like a deal, Im in!
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Rip

Post by Rip »

OK, stupid question.

I finally filled all the earth building locations so the button keeps sending me to idle colony. I have nowhere to build anything and it seems the only thing I could do is build another shipyard. Not sure I really want another one though. But I never get the turn button. Is there and end turn hotkey I need to use or something?

Seems like you could set the colony to produce consumer goods or something to contribute to the economy or something when you aren't building factories and stuff.

Edit: NM figured it out. I was thinking those things at the bottom that said N/A meant I couldn't build them. :doh:
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

Jeff V wrote:When you rely on random reports (which very few volunteers bother to file), you don't really get to interactively get to the root cause of the problem or have testers available to try out solutions. Or do companies still use managed testers? I suspect some do, some don't. In any case, beta testing is an arduous process that for the most part sucks any enjoyment out of a game long before it's ready for prime time. I stopped being a compensated tester because it destroyed any enthusiasm for games I was previously looking forward to playing.
That is what's good about Early Access, at least for how we use it. We get a variety of reports from players, and many of those submit support tickets with save/debug files and such which lets the devs narrow down and identify issues that come up. Through our support system we can work with someone who is having an issue, say a persistent crash, and have them try solutions or at least get a bigger picture of what's going on, and the devs can usually nail a solution fairly quickly.

It's been very helpful in lots of ways like that. :)
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

Beta 5 was released today! Custom factions, planetary invasions, pirates, and much more.

Full patch notes are here.

Enlarge Image
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Any chance this will be done before the end of gaming season?
Black Lives Matter
tgb

Post by tgb »

Jeff V wrote:Any chance this will be done before the end of gaming season?
There's an end to gaming season?

I thought they were talking about first quarter, but obviously it's not going to make it.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

tgb wrote:
There's an end to gaming season?
Yep. Here it's called summer, when the weather is too nice to stay cooped up inside; especially after endless winter.
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Jeff V wrote:Yep. Here it's called summer, when the weather is too nice to stay cooped up inside; especially after endless winter.
Here in central Florida, where the weather is nice all year, we pace ourselves at all that outdoors stuff so there really is no end of the gaming season.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

jztemple2 wrote:
Jeff V wrote:Yep. Here it's called summer, when the weather is too nice to stay cooped up inside; especially after endless winter.
Here in central Florida, where the weather is nice all year, we pace ourselves at all that outdoors stuff so there really is no end of the gaming season.
Nor is there an end or beginning in California, particularly when you are retired like I am.
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Lorini wrote:Nor is there an end or beginning in California, particularly when you are retired like I am.
I'm retired too, but I don't know if I'm retired like you are :wink:. Some folks retire and are busier than when they were working; me, I like my leisure time.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

If I was ever retired, I'd like to think I'd be chasing less sedentary pursuits. My job requires me to sit on my ass all day staring at the computer as it is.
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Jeff V wrote:If I was ever retired, I'd like to think I'd be chasing less sedentary pursuits. My job requires me to sit on my ass all day staring at the computer as it is.
When you're retired, you get to do it in a recliner :D.

Actually between my morning walks, a couple of days at the beach each week, trips to Disney World (45 minutes away, we have annual passes) and our twice yearly big vacations, I'm owed some time on my computer and in my reading chair. My wife is down at our local library right now decorating for Easter, so it's gaming and reading time!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

jztemple2 wrote:
Jeff V wrote:If I was ever retired, I'd like to think I'd be chasing less sedentary pursuits. My job requires me to sit on my ass all day staring at the computer as it is.
When you're retired, you get to do it in a recliner :D.

Actually between my morning walks, a couple of days at the beach each week, trips to Disney World (45 minutes away, we have annual passes) and our twice yearly big vacations, I'm owed some time on my computer and in my reading chair. My wife is down at our local library right now decorating for Easter, so it's gaming and reading time!
It appears highly unlikely I'll ever be retired...I'll be in my mid-70's by the time my kid finishes college, and if my wife gets her way and another kid comes, close to 80. Retirement is not something I'll ever be able to afford. As it is, my wife can't stand it if I so much as play a game on my phone for a minute, let alone anything lengthy on the computer. When she was working double-shifts, I could sneak some time in, but now she only works nights, and besides, now that the baby is toddling, he doesn't really nap anymore and has to be watched constantly. About the only thing approaching entertainment comes from listening to audiobooks while driving or exercising.
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Jeff V wrote:It appears highly unlikely I'll ever be retired...I'll be in my mid-70's by the time my kid finishes college, and if my wife gets her way and another kid comes, close to 80.
Yikes! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Oh, and just to try to keep this thread on track, now that Beta 5 is out, are folks still happy with the direction the game is going? As I mentioned above, although I got the game I'm staying away so I can enjoy that just released smell when it comes out in the next month or two.
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

We're looking at a May release. :)
jztemple2 wrote:
What part of Central Florida?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Island Dog wrote:What part of Central Florida?
Brevard County, where the Kennedy Space Center is located.
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

jztemple2 wrote:
Nice! I'm your neighbor over in Osceola. :)
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Island Dog wrote:
We're looking at a May release. :)
Well, I suppose I could try it on a dark and stormy day when there is no work to do around the house and the wife is home to watch the baby and not busy with her school work and we're outside of the hours of operation for the baby prison at the gym and nothing else requires my attention...oh, hell, I suppose it will be well-patched by November, right?
Black Lives Matter
Tampa_Gamer

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

Island Dog wrote:
jztemple2 wrote:
Nice! I'm your neighbor over in Osceola. :)
I guess I am anchoring the west end of the I-4 corridor for you all :) It would be good to see a May release before we all start losing electricity at 4 PM everyday due to afternoon storms starting in June...
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Tampa_Gamer wrote:I guess I am anchoring the west end of the I-4 corridor for you all :) It would be good to see a May release before we all start losing electricity at 4 PM everyday due to afternoon storms starting in June...
As a Florida gamer I'm well aware of this seasonal inconvenience; nothing quite scares the pants off you when creeping down a corridor in Doom 3 like a lightning bolt striking the next block over :shock:. Mind you, the storms we get over here on the east coast are nothing like they get over in Tampa, they don't call it the lightening capital of the world for nothing.

I did finally break down last year and got an APC brand full uninterruptible power supply. I've got the entire rig and peripherals hooked to it, including the cable modem and the router.
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

We put out the 5.1 beta update this week, and much of it is fixes for reported crashes and several other issues. :)

The full changelog is here.
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

The Design a Faction contest was announced today with the winner getting their faction in the game as a minor race, and a $1000 cash prize. :)
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

The 5.3 update was released this week that continues to fix player reported issues, and other things like performance and AI improvements.

Full changelog.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Island Dog wrote:The 5.3 update was released this week that continues to fix player reported issues, and other things like performance and AI improvements.

Full changelog.
Also, wasn't a release date decided upon? Something in mid-late May? Nice!

EDIT: May 14, according to the website.
Nightwish

Post by Nightwish »

Isn't the game still having a massive amount of things added? How can it even be in beta?
Either they have some mystical development method, or it's going to be another Elemental...
me in OO -> just reading, but sometimes I do speak my mind
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I don't think they would announce a release date if a bunch of stuff was missing and they couldn't get them into game by then.
Now depoliticized.
Nightwish

Post by Nightwish »

Putting stuff in is easier than making it work well.
me in OO -> just reading, but sometimes I do speak my mind
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Nightwish wrote:Putting stuff in is easier than making it work well.
My concern too. I'm afraid we might be looking for several post release patches to tweak things.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Other than minor factions, which they have been working on all along, I don't know of anything that still has to be "put in". There may be some balancing issues to be addressed, but I suspect they learned their lesson from Elemental and wouldn't try something like that again.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The campaign isn't included yet, but they usually don't add that in until release time...at least for any game I can remember playing in beta.
Last edited by hepcat on Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Now depoliticized.