Elite: Dangerous

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Re: Elite: Dangerous

Post by jztemple2 »

Redfive wrote:I decided to put together a video demonstrating VoiceAttack and the HCS voice pack with Elite Dangerous.
Thanks for putting this together, very impressive. I like how when you say "Thank you" the computer replies "You're welcome". I know that this is something added, but it's still a nice touch.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Thanks

I fiddled around with several settings and can now record with a much higher audio and video quality.

I had to try 2 more times before I found a setting that would work for publication but now I'm tired of doing it :lol:

I'll probably record another soon and get it posted.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Wish I could get the late Majel Barret Roddenberry to be my computer.

"Go to warp"
"Arm weapons"
"Engage"

And such. OH! OH! Even better...Patrick Stewart :)
Last edited by Daehawk on Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

OK, I downloaded VoiceAttack, dug out a real old headset with dodgy looking foam ear covers :shock: and got through enough of the speech training, mike set up and entering commands to be able to say "Galaxy Map" and have ED respond to it. I am hooked :D. Now, do I have to build a new profile from scratch or are there popular ones posted to download? I realize I'll have to tweak them for my own use, but it might save some time.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Build your own new profile.

Alternatively, you can go here and get the voice pack that allows the AI to respond.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Stuie

Post by Stuie »

I ended up building my own. It's only about 25 actual in-game commands, and then a ton of what I call "fluff" that you don't really need (making it respond to phrases that I find myself saying while I play).

I did try using one that I found on the internet, but in the end it was more fun doing my own.
Varity

Post by Varity »

Daehawk wrote:Wish I could get the late Majen Barret Rodenberry to be my compute.

"Go to warp"
"Arm weapons"
"Engage"

And such. OH! OH! Even better...Patrick Stewart :)
That should not be that hard to do, actually. Voice attack allows you to play any sound file you want as part of a command. Youtube should have the material - all you need is a sound recorder/editor.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I've been playing around with it in WOFF and it is so awesome. I created a command called check six that clears your tail and then switches back to the normal view. If someone doesn't have trackir that's a godsend. Took me all of 5 minutes to figure out how to do it to. I don't think they could possibly make it any easier to use.

Made a quick video of it. Apparently my nose is more stuffed than I realized.

http://youtu.be/ysaWNhywuEw
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I posted the following over on the Frontier forum, but I figure folks here might be able to help:
I got turned on to trying VoiceAttack for enabling verbal commanding and I'm impressed. Trouble is, the only device I had is an old, old headset with boom mic that is both noisy and uncomfortable. I really don't need the headphone portion as I'm happy with just using my desk speakers, so I'm trying to figure out the best microphone options. I've used a little Bluetooth type earphone thing when I had an Xbox 360 and it wasn't too bad. And I've used a desktop microphone when doing some YouTube tutorials a few years ago and that was ok, although I can't find that darn microphone.

What I'm wondering is first, is there such a thing as a Windows compatible Bluetooth mic that hooks around the ear and that is decent for using in ED? If people know of one, can they provide a link?

And regarding a desktop microphone, is this a reasonable option for ED, what will all the sounds coming through the desktop speakers? And if so, are there any that folks would recommend?

Thanks for any help or recommendations folks can provide. I have so little experience with these devices and I figure a lot of you do...
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I have no idea on a blue tooth mic, but if you don't use a headset it's going to have A LOT of background noise from the game. I could see this making it work not so hot. I'm using headphones with a built in mic and it works perfectly since the game sounds don't get picked up.

I have this one that I picked up on clearance at Target a couple of years ago.

http://www.amazon.com/Tritton-TRIAX-180 ... headphones
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You should totally get a throat mic.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Stuie

Post by Stuie »

My son let me borrow this cheap mic of his for when I'm not using my headphones. Works no problem, which means probably any desktop mic will do.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I spent the better part of the day on the basic combat tutorial, and haven't beaten it yet. I've got controls adjusted and enough of the interface down that I can target the Sidewinder and pretty much keep it in my sights, but I can't hit the side of a proverbial barn. Part of my problem is that I still move the mouse too much, even with sensitivity turned all the way down, and start swinging around wildly.

I think tomorrow I'll focus on launching and docking so that I can actually start to do something in the game, and keep practicing combat in the hopes I eventually become competent.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

There's a lot to do even without fighting, and once you start you can always buy gimballed weapons. They're slightly weaker than fixed weapons, but they track your target to some degree when they're in your sights.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Good to klnow
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I completed the launching, docking, and travel tutorials today. I actually found docking to be easier than the original Elite - until I started my first game. I took what I thought would be an easy assignment to deliver some Hydrogen to an industrial platform. I arrived with no problem, only to find that the docking tutorial left me completely unprepared to deal with these things.

I get that the landing platforms are all on the surface, but I just can't find my assigned platforms, or when I do I just can't seem to get properly oriented (yes, I had to ask for clearance several times).

Good thing the game lets you save anywhere.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

tgb wrote:... to an industrial platform. I arrived with no problem, only to find that the docking tutorial left me completely unprepared to deal with these things.

I get that the landing platforms are all on the surface, but I just can't find my assigned platforms, or when I do I just can't seem to get properly oriented (yes, I had to ask for clearance several times).
For the smaller outposts, right after you ask for docking permission keep an eye out for an orange light turning on somewhere on the platform -- your assigned platform will get highlighted as soon as you're cleared and that's the easiest way to find where to go. If you don't spot it, just fly around looking for a lit up platform with your number. This is a good time for lateral controls, if you haven't gotten used to using them yet.

Once you've found your platform, the clues for orienting yourself are:
  • Control tower is located on the side your nose should be
  • slanty blast shield barrier is located on the side your butt should be
  • when you get close enough to trigger the 3d model guidance, you want the 3d model to be pointing away from you
If you find yourself oriented backwards, yawing yourself around like a turntable is slow and not at all showy-offy. Do an Immelmann instead and get the job done quicker and feel more badass.
tgb

Post by tgb »

wonderpug wrote:
tgb wrote:... to an industrial platform. I arrived with no problem, only to find that the docking tutorial left me completely unprepared to deal with these things.

For the smaller outposts, right after you ask for docking permission keep an eye out for an orange light turning on somewhere on the platform -- your assigned platform will get highlighted as soon as you're cleared and that's the easiest way to find where to go.
That's what I thought, except I had clearance for Pad 3 and the one that was lit in orange was 2. I landed but got yelled at for loitering. Must have been a bug.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

tgb wrote:
wonderpug wrote:

For the smaller outposts, right after you ask for docking permission keep an eye out for an orange light turning on somewhere on the platform -- your assigned platform will get highlighted as soon as you're cleared and that's the easiest way to find where to go.
That's what I thought, except I had clearance for Pad 3 and the one that was lit in orange was 2. I landed but got yelled at for loitering. Must have been a bug.
Not certain, but I think that means there was some other ship incoming to Pad 2. Pad 3 still should have been lit up for you elsewhere.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

tgb wrote:That's what I thought, except I had clearance for Pad 3 and the one that was lit in orange was 2. I landed but got yelled at for loitering. Must have been a bug.
No, it just means that someone else (an NPC) was cleared for Pad 2. I've been in that situation a few times.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

tgb wrote:
wonderpug wrote:

If other ships are also landing, other pads will be lit for them as well. If you land on the wrong pad they will yell at you.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Couple landing tricks I learned.

1) Your compass will point to the landing pad (and also targets). that's the circle to the upper left of your radar. Solid is in front of you. Hollow is behind.
2) The number on the glowing orange "land here" is the front of the pad where your nose should be pointed.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
tgb

Post by tgb »

All of a sudden the game is minimizing for no apparent reason, and when I bring it back up again I have no keyboard controls, although the mouse is still responsive. This is happening with alarming frequency, and is starting to suck all enjoyment out of the game. I've already wiped out two ships as a result.

Any ideas or suggestions?
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

I have had that happen to me when I alt tab out to check the wiki or forum for something then alt tab back in. Sometimes it does it to me sometimes it doesn't. FYI I'm using a 2 monitor setup.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

tgb wrote:All of a sudden the game is minimizing for no apparent reason, and when I bring it back up again I have no keyboard controls, although the mouse is still responsive. This is happening with alarming frequency, and is starting to suck all enjoyment out of the game. I've already wiped out two ships as a result.

Any ideas or suggestions?
Frequently this is because of programs you have running in the background. Try disabling as many taskbar programs and background processes as you can next time you play, and if that lets you play uninterrupted, you can then try and figure out which program in particular is the culprit.
Stuie

Post by Stuie »

Got an x52 for my birthday because of this game... really have fun with the combat and exploration. As an amateur astronomer of sorts, it's amazing the way they captured the scale of the galaxy. Love just jumping into a system and site seeing.

Definitely needs more content to keep me interested in the long run, but the sense of wonder still hasn't worn off for me. :D
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Somewhere I read..hell may have been here....about 4 real exo planets being added and some pilots have already visited a couple of them.
Harkonis

Post by Harkonis »

We've now had up to 6 people in mumble at a time, no amaznig feat, but it does make the game that much more enjoyable to bounce ideas and experiences back and forth and grouping up.

No pug though.... :ninja:
I loved DP too! :P - ChesspieceFace
tgb

Post by tgb »

I'm getting very frustrated by the pause/save system. On several occasions I paused the game (or thought I did) by using either the P or ESC keys, in order to take a call from a client or from nature, only to watch in horror as my ship is destroyed by crashing into a station or by pirates. Now earlier today I saved yet another fresh start, only to find when I reloaded the game several hours later that the mission I was on had expired.

Is it me? Am I missing something here?
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

tgb wrote:I'm getting very frustrated by the pause/save system. On several occasions I paused the game (or thought I did) by using either the P or ESC keys, in order to take a call from a client or from nature, only to watch in horror as my ship is destroyed by crashing into a station or by pirates. Now earlier today I saved yet another fresh start, only to find when I reloaded the game several hours later that the mission I was on had expired.

Is it me? Am I missing something here?
It's a persistent world. There is no pausing. The only safe place is in a station. The same is true of missions - the time limit given in the mission description is real time.

I like the decisions they made, personally. It gives a sense of realism and urgency for things.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I would say you're pretty safe if you get out of supercruise not near a station or a nav beacon. It's fairly unlikely some will trip over you.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Missions are in real-time. That's why you often have many hours to do them. You don't take on a mission unless you're prepared to do it within that time frame.
Insert witty comment here.
tgb

Post by tgb »

gbasden wrote:
It's a persistent world. There is no pausing..
OK. Now that I understand it I can plan my missions better. But if there is no pausing, why is there a key binding for it (at least in single-player, which is the only way I've been playing)?
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

There's a key binding to go to the pause menu, I think, which is badly named. If I remember right, that's the menu that comes up when you hit ESC. I'm not in game, though, so I can't really check.

I had been doing rare goods runs with my Cobra, but it was slow going. I am shooting for an Asp, but I decided to go to the Lakon Mk. 6 right now. It only carries about 20 tons more than the Cobra and is defenseless comparatively with only two small hardpoints, but the jump range is twice as far. That has cut my round trips by an hour and the large fuel scoop makes that chore way, way easier. I finished my first circuit with a million credit profit. Whee! I need about another 4 million to buy the Asp and kit it out with decent gear. Then I have the flexibility to do some rep missions and bounty hunting. Cobra vs. Anaconda wasn't horribly successful for me.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

gbasden wrote:but I decided to go to the Lakon Mk. 6 right now. It only carries about 20 tons more than the Cobra

You do realize that you can expand the cargo capacity of your ships, right? :wink: There's a 52 ton difference between the maximum cargo capacities for those two ships. The Cobra can have a maximum of 60, while the Type 6 can have 112. Of course, that assumes that you're willing to ditch shields. The difference between the two is even larger if you're shielded.
Insert witty comment here.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

TiLT wrote:
gbasden wrote:but I decided to go to the Lakon Mk. 6 right now. It only carries about 20 tons more than the Cobra

You do realize that you can expand the cargo capacity of your ships, right? :wink: There's a 52 ton difference between the maximum cargo capacities for those two ships. The Cobra can have a maximum of 60, while the Type 6 can have 112. Of course, that assumes that you're willing to ditch shields. The difference between the two is even larger if you're shielded.
Oh, absolutely. I should have said about 20 tons more in my configuration. I am using shields, and I'm using one of the medium sized bays for a fuel scoop. I know I could configure it to haul a lot more, but since they changed the model to limit the number of rare goods, it's not horribly practical to get more than 50-60 on one leg anyway.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok Im just starting today. ALl Ive done till now is the tutorial and I sucked at it and quit at the combat part. This time I plan to do them again but this time stick with the joystick and learn that damn roll until its perfect. Then Ill hit the game. Anything to really know before I start?
Brian

Post by Brian »

This might help.

5 Tips for New Players
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thanks Brian, Ill check that out.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Something I didn't know at first, but found useful once I did, was that you can actively use the discovery scanner. It's on a hardpoint and can be assigned to a fire button.