2024 Fundraising - $1192 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

The Art of the Donald Trumpocalypse

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

tgb

Re: The Art of the Donald Trump Sideshow

Post by tgb »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
hepcat wrote: Unfortunately, I get the feeling it will also end like the last episode of The Sopranos. :cry:
I don't know. If they end the debate with "Don't Stop Believin'" I'll probably be overjoyed.
Onion rings all around!
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Laura wrote:Is there any way to watch tonight's debate if I don't have cable? I've looked around and not found anything. I think it might be amusing to watch live, but looks like I will just have to watch available replays
That's an interesting point. Remember when the debate was on one or more broadcast channels as a matter of public interest? Now it's just another ratings grab.

You should be able to watch online via the usual unsavory streaming TV outlets or you can listen to the radio coverage on a FOX affiliate like this one.

I'm inclined to listen anyway, since I'd rather be doing something else at the same time. And I don't want any visual distractions when they play Journey.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

While they're playing it, Biden should walk out in his usual formal wear.

He won. Period.
Laura

Post by Laura »

Thanks for the link to the radio coverage. We may have to fall back to that, but I will be glad to have anything now. We have a big dish and have found suggestions of where to look for a feed of the debate. One is Fox news and the other is Fox Business News. Checked them out just now and they are showing the outside of the arena, so there is hope.

Some other possible feeds have shown up too.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

hepcat wrote:
LordMortis wrote:
This is what happens when you shoot for Daily Show humor and end up in the realm of Tosh.0.
In her defense, Kelly Osbourne is an idiot.

...wait...that's not a defense.
Kelly Osbourne Digs Herself a Very Big Hole! | The Soup
:lol:
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Made me :) .

Thanks.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Funny but way too short. Could have run with that for 2-3 minutes.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Excellent. :)
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Oops, he's done it again.
During Thursday's debate, Kelly pressed Trump about misogynistic, sexist comments he made in the past, such as calling some women "fat pigs, dogs, slobs, and disgusting animals."

Trump slammed Kelly, saying her questions were "ridiculous" and "off-base."

"You could see there was blood coming out of her eyes," Trump told CNN's Don Lemon on Friday night. "Blood coming out of her wherever."

But the comment crossed the line, RedState.com editor Erick Erickson said Friday night. He disinvited Trump from the RedState Gathering, a conservative event featuring GOP presidential hopefuls this weekend in Atlanta. Trump was scheduled to give the keynote speech Saturday night.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Holman

Post by Holman »

I think we've passed peak Trump. Every arm of the GOP has an interest in limiting the damage he can do.

Look for Ted Cruz to refrain from attacking him directly. Claiming Trump's mantle is the only path available to him.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Max Peck wrote:Oops, he's done it again.
During Thursday's debate, Kelly pressed Trump about misogynistic, sexist comments he made in the past, such as calling some women "fat pigs, dogs, slobs, and disgusting animals."

Trump slammed Kelly, saying her questions were "ridiculous" and "off-base."

"You could see there was blood coming out of her eyes," Trump told CNN's Don Lemon on Friday night. "Blood coming out of her wherever."

But the comment crossed the line, RedState.com editor Erick Erickson said Friday night. He disinvited Trump from the RedState Gathering, a conservative event featuring GOP presidential hopefuls this weekend in Atlanta. Trump was scheduled to give the keynote speech Saturday night.
He broke one of the conservative commandments:

Thou shalt blame it on the Mainstream Media (but only if it isn't Fox News)!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Now he has managed to alienate (pun intended) the Hispanic vote and the women's vote. My strident hope is Cruz gets the nomination and Trump goes independent for a perfect storm of wingnut vote splitting, paving the way for a Bernie victory.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Jaymann wrote:Now he has managed to alienate (pun intended) the Hispanic vote and the women's vote. My strident hope is Cruz gets the nomination and Trump goes independent for a perfect storm of wingnut vote splitting, paving the way for a Bernie victory.
Last I saw, he was leading the GOP field in Hispanic support, curiously enough.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Quote of the Day:
"There is a difference between avoiding political correctness and being a moron," Brian McClung, a Republican strategist who consulted for Tim Pawlenty's 2012 presidential campaign, told AFP
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

tgb wrote:Quote of the Day:
"There is a difference between avoiding political correctness and being a moron," Brian McClung, a Republican strategist who consulted for Tim Pawlenty's 2012 presidential campaign, told AFP
For example, calling someone a moron.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Moliere wrote:
tgb wrote:Quote of the Day:
For example, calling someone a moron.
When people behave moronically, they attach the moniker to themselves. It's not moronic to take note of that fact.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

GreenGoo wrote:When people behave moronically, they attach the moniker to themselves. It's not moronic to take note of that fact.
So we shouldn't call someone a retard, but we can call them a moron?
Psychology. (no longer in technical use; now considered offensive) a person of borderline intelligence in a former and discarded classification of mental retardation, having an intelligence quotient of 50 to 69.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Shrug. I wait for Lawboy to berate me. If he doesn't, I'm good. If he does, I know I need to pay closer attention.

On that note, how should one refer to someone's seeming stupidity? Is calling them stupid ok? Is that better or worse than morAn?

I prefer not to offend those I do not intend to offend, but I need tools to work with. I believe we talked about the cycle of acceptable terms and how they get repurposed into insults, and then leave the realm of their original meaning while remaining insults. At some point the words are only associated with their pejorative meanings. At that point they are simply insults, rather than a technical, medical term *used* as an insult.

If I had to vote, I'd put morAn in the past due stage, whereas "retard" is still too closely associated with those who have Down's Syndrome to be an acceptable insult.

We could simply call Trump a stupid ass, but where's the fun in that?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

For what it's worth, while I am sure that moron is no longer used in psychology, I think general usage of the term is simply as meaning "stupid" without any association with mental disabilities (unlike "retard", which is very much associated with mental disabilities).
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Hopefully we will soon get to the point where we can just call someone a "trump" and the meaning will be clear.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Wikipedia wrote:The current understanding of the word is well-illustrated by a BBC survey in 2003, which found that "spastic" was the second most offensive term in the UK relating to disability (retard was deemed most offensive).

Multiple products in America use the word Spaz as part of their name.

Controversy arises if products are sold in the UK under the same name. In particular the manufacturers and importers of the Spazz wheelchair were criticised by the British charity Scope when they put the wheelchair on sale in the UK. Scope expressed a fear that the usage of the word as an insult would increase again, after a steady decline since the 1980s.
(I have an English mother-in-law. She'll swear liberally, but will not abide the word "spaz.")
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

El Guapo wrote:For what it's worth, while I am sure that moron is no longer used in psychology, I think general usage of the term is simply as meaning "stupid" without any association with mental disabilities (unlike "retard", which is very much associated with mental disabilities).
Yeah, I think as IQ lost its cachet, the term just became slang for stupid, while retard/retarded still has a lot of connotations to mental development.

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Digressing into political correctness in this thread is so meta....
tgb

Post by tgb »

Jaymann wrote:Hopefully we will soon get to the point where we can just call someone a "trump" and the meaning will be clear.
Great. Ruin the fine game of Bridge for me, why don't you?

As to whether or not "moron" is an offensive word, I prefer to stick to the classics like nitwit and imbecile (although I think imbecile is another that has roots in psychiatry and developmental disorders)
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kraken wrote:Digressing into political correctness in this thread is so meta....
You're a terrible poster, just posting awful, useless things - just a total loser poster. I could come up with 10 world class posts in the time it takes you to come up with this drivel.
Black Lives Matter.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

GreenGoo wrote:We could simply call Trump a stupid ass, but where's the fun in that?
Apparently the most fun thing to call him is an orangutan. It's drives him up the wall. (not kidding)
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Unagi wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:We could simply call Trump a stupid ass, but where's the fun in that?
Apparently the most fun thing to call him is an orangutan. It's drives him up the wall. (not kidding)
My impression is that saying almost anything in Trump's presence can and does set him off.
Black Lives Matter.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Jaymann wrote:Now he has managed to alienate (pun intended) the Hispanic vote and the women's vote. My strident hope is Cruz gets the nomination and Trump goes independent for a perfect storm of wingnut vote splitting, paving the way for a Bernie victory.
After the tweet storm with Megyn Kelly, I can't help but think that Andrew Dice Clay is the perfect running mate for the Donald.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Come on, you guys are all overlooking the obvious choice for Trump's running mate.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

tgb wrote:As to whether or not "moron" is an offensive word, I prefer to stick to the classics like nitwit and imbecile (although I think imbecile is another that has roots in psychiatry and developmental disorders)
It was a final Jeopardy question at one point. It asked which of the three was the lowest IQ.

Idiot
In 19th and early 20th century medicine and psychology, an "idiot" was a person with a very severe intellectual disability. In the early 1900s, Dr. Henry H. Goddard proposed a classification system for intellectual disability based on the Binet-Simon concept of mental age. Individuals with the lowest mental age level (less than three years) were identified as idiots; imbeciles had a mental age of three to seven years, and morons had a mental age of seven to ten years. The term "idiot" was used to refer to people having an IQ below 30.
My mother's breaking point was 'fool'. Some bible verse or another.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Just so you know we aren't using this die just yet Image Every ol' boys politico "club", every bleedin' "heart" liberal you play we've got a handful of Trump to play on them at least in this election. :mrgreen: Then it's all yours because we'll be out of the sensible WW2 generation to play this stupid anybody can vote game anymore. You can give it all away after that, and rewrite all the history to make Republicans equate to Nazis. WW2 generation equate to Nazis for dropping fat man and little boy, and making you brush your teeth before you went to bed. However you want to spin it. This will be the end, my only friend. :wink:
Re-electing Biden is like the Titanic backing up to hit the iceberg again!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

El Guapo wrote:
Kraken wrote:Digressing into political correctness in this thread is so meta....
You're a terrible poster, just posting awful, useless things - just a total loser poster. I could come up with 10 world class posts in the time it takes you to come up with this drivel.
I hope this is a Trump reference that's too meta for me. Because if not, it's on, bitch. :tjg:
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Kraken wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
I hope this is a Trump reference that's too meta for me. Because if not, it's on, bitch. :tjg:
When you two losers stop bleeding take a look at the real winner in this thread: me. 8-)
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kraken wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
Haven't you ever listened to Trump talking?
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote:
Kraken wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
Haven't you ever listened to Trump talking?
Excuse me. Excuse me. How can you say that when he's been nothing but kind to you and he certainly didn't have to be. I think you owe him an apology.

Trump is becoming a self fulfilling prophesy on a certain levels, though. I would never vote for him... but he does speak his mind. He isn't beholden to (outside) corporate interests. He is generating interest and income for the Republican party that just isn't there otherwise. How many people watched those debates just because Trump was in them? Today he will be selling out a short speech for the republican party in nowhere, Michigan, for one stop one day of the campaign trail for 2000 people at a cost of between $25 and $125 a seat and he's keeping none of that money for his campaign. All of it is going to the Republican party.

It's mystifying and starting to get a little scary. The party seems like it really should be kissing his ass as much that arrogant ass thinks they should.

For instance, Trump got me to watch the debate. The debate got me to listen the Governor from Ohio and currently if came down to him and Hillary, I might be able to hold my nose and vote for him. I'd have never known that if it weren't for Trump.
Last edited by LordMortis on Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

em2nought wrote:Every ol' boys politico "club", every bleedin' "heart" liberal you play we've got a handful of Trump to play on them at least in this election. :mrgreen: Then it's all yours because we'll be out of the sensible WW2 generation to play this stupid anybody can vote game anymore. You can give it all away after that, and rewrite all the history to make Republicans equate to Nazis. WW2 generation equate to Nazis for dropping fat man and little boy, and making you brush your teeth before you went to bed. However you want to spin it. This will be the end, my only friend. :wink:
And this is why you should never underestimate the severity of any form of head trauma. Always check with your doctor after a blow to the head, people.

p.s.
this stupid anybody can vote game
Care to elaborate?
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Trump Delivers Anecdote About Small Business Owner Who Isn’t Half The Man He Is.
CLEVELAND—Noting that there are millions of entrepreneurs throughout the country who are in the same difficult position, Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump responded to a question about the economy at Thursday night’s primary debate by sharing an anecdote about meeting a struggling small business owner who isn’t half the man he is. “Last month, I was speaking with John Perkins, a good, hardworking fellow who runs his own grocery store in Waterloo, Iowa, and who, like so many others out there, is a pathetic, small-time loser without a single shred of my business skills,” said Trump, who explained that Perkins’ recent struggles to keep his business afloat are a direct result of his incompetence and total lack of qualifications for the job, adding that Perkins’ “embarrassing rinky-dink operation is peanuts” compared to The Trump Organization. “This bozo has no idea what he’s doing. In fact, he might be the worst grocery store owner in the entire state of Iowa. I could run a grocery store that’s 1,000 times better than this lightweight’s. But he’s worried his kids may not be able to go to college, and it’s no surprise, given how stupid those little slobs sounded when I talked to them. I’m telling you, this family has no shot. No shot.” Trump added that under his administration, he will buy out morons like Perkins and turn their businesses into the finest, top-of-the-line moneymakers.
Black Lives Matter.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

El Guapo wrote:Come on, you guys are all overlooking the obvious choice for Trump's running mate.
"After much consideration with myself (because let's face it, who's smarter than me, amiright?), I have decided to announce what is really, the only suitable running mate for my presidential campaign. It's unconventional, but that's why I'm a winner and all youse are losers. It's why I'm up here behind a podium, and you poor (and I mean that in the financial sense) bums are writing down every word that I say.

Witout furder adoo, instead of having some 2nd rate slob who's around only for the scraps from the winner's table, I have decided that I, Donald Trump, will be the next Vice President of the United States" (*cue "All by Myself")

TRUMP/TRUMP 2016!!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It really is almost impossible to parody someone like Trump. It's very likely he actually has said something like that.
He won. Period.