THANK YOU! 2024 Fundraising Completed - $2095 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

BSG V - Game over -Cylons win

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Kraegor

Re: BSG V - Sean, Former Minister of KtSP -Day 6

Post by Kraegor »

Lassr wrote: Cylons would get an advantage if they found one of the hiddens (Baltar or 10). Unagi found Baltar for them so not huge hurt there except a missed lynch of a possible Cylon. Finding them both was huge advantage.
Unagi, that right there is the crux of my argument against your play as Tory.

gave them baltar on day 1
found 10

cylons +2 voting/manipulation voices.
humans -2

4 vote swing in effect.
Block Baltar... don't give him to them. kill him when he does switch.

the unknown 10 conversion, I agree in hindsight, it's better as a known. altho in this instance it would have made the game easier for me (uncontacted 7).
Lassr

Re: BSG V - Game over -Cylons win

Post by Lassr »

Remus West wrote:BTW, without #10 there is nothing to keep the human side from doing a mass reveal day 1 and having a lockdown on where the potential Cylons are. You would either need to reduce the number of powered humans or increase the pool of unpowereds imo.
exactly. Next game will probably be a simpler version.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

The other thing about giving us Baltar is it removed the risk of our contacting #10 first.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Unagi wrote:
Remus West wrote:
Brendan wrote:I'd like to point out my pronoun observation was dead on, as Triggercut knew Starbuck's identity by that point.
I wouldn't trust that for future. I go back and forth between pronouns all the time and I know a lot of other players do too.
I also didn't see it as bad, as ANYONE (but my cute self) is safe to be just simply labled "he" from time to time.
Also - I wasn't sure if triggercut ever saw the new series - and Starbuck was indeed a dude in the first one.

I highly doubt that 'he' was actually a slip, personally.
Um, since when do you guys quibble with the right results for the wrong reasons?!
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Brendan wrote:
Unagi wrote:
Remus West wrote:
Brendan wrote:I'd like to point out my pronoun observation was dead on, as Triggercut knew Starbuck's identity by that point.
I wouldn't trust that for future. I go back and forth between pronouns all the time and I know a lot of other players do too.
I also didn't see it as bad, as ANYONE (but my cute self) is safe to be just simply labled "he" from time to time.
Also - I wasn't sure if triggercut ever saw the new series - and Starbuck was indeed a dude in the first one.

I highly doubt that 'he' was actually a slip, personally.
Um, since when do you guys quibble with the right results for the wrong reasons?!
Not saying it wouldn't have worked this game. I was commenting on its reliability for future games.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Remus West wrote:The other thing about giving us Baltar is it removed the risk of our contacting #10 first.
My thought was primarily that Athena's scans of "Human" were all junk until Baltar was known.

Ironically, Athena's first scan was on Bahktosh.
Kraegor

Post by Kraegor »

trig wrote: Hokay.

Six will ask whether Bakhtosh is Baltar.

Six will ask whether Unagi is Baltar.
poetic in a way :lol:
stessier

Post by stessier »

Brendan wrote:Um, since when do you guys quibble with the right results for the wrong reasons?!
You're kidding right? Didn't you see what we did to purge?? ;) :P
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Kraegor

Post by Kraegor »

Brendan wrote: Um, since when do you guys quibble with the right results for the wrong reasons?!
everytime anyone tries to get me lynched is "when" I do it.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

So what got me the "Sir Not Appearing In This Forum Game Award"??
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraegor

Post by Kraegor »

btw this game is a fair example of why I don't trust triggercut.... except for figuring out who I was apparently he was on the ball the entire time...
Post subject: Re: BSG V - Welcome to the Secure Cylon Communication Network
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:37 pm

I think Semaj may be 7, but he's done so many obviously cylon-y things that I'm not sure we can hold off a vote for him and still look innocent.
Even when you voted Semaj you thought you were killing #7? ROFL.

this is what I sent to Lassr after I voted...
my current position: I have no idea if 10 has been contacted thus no way of knowing if the damn game is over till daylight. I'm as clueless as the humans....

trig and his "russian roullete" statement to help muddy the waters and imply he doesn't know if we are killing 10 either!!!!
I thought you didn't know who 10 was, not 7!!

anywho, I didn't do much this game aside from nudge here and there.

Nicely played (other) cylons that was some excellent recovery after purge outted half the team. to go from 2 outted to 2 trusted... back breaking turn around...
Semaj

Post by Semaj »

Sidenote: I really have no clue, but I really mistook Pr0ner and Purge... (Obviously)

For a while I really though Bahktosh and Kraegor were the same person... I realized my error during the middle of like my first or second game.

As far as screwing up the rules, I am always going to do it. I read em, I read em a specific way, convince myself thats what it said and then 2 weeks later when I speak on it, someone corrects me, I go back and wonder hwo the hell I read something the other way the first time. Even if I read it 2 or 3 times, I usually dont catch my screwups.

Which is why I didnt sign up for this game, reading the rules makes my brain hurt. Trying to do calculations when there are 2 conversions and whatnot makes my brain really hurt.

Also right now i have postaphobia.

I assume once I start posting I am going to say something dumb and die. Good, Evil, no matter. It's why if I am alive later in games I stop trying to post who is evil and why o meters. I assume even if I am a trusted and good role, if I post enough people will forget and try to kill me.

Does everyone get this way? Does it ever go away?
Some claim to be things they aren't.
Some claim things they don't deserve.
Some claim to know more than they ever will.
I don't claim anything, because no one would believe the truth anyways.
Kraegor

Post by Kraegor »

Semaj wrote: Does everyone get this way? Does it ever go away?
yeah. no.

gotta learn to stop taking reactions personally. It's a game. The same move does not have the same results in each game.

It depends on atmosphere... timing... tone...

play "your way" consistantly and it becomes a part of your persona.
play "your way" haphazardly... and yes you get a bullseye one your back every time.

this does mean it takes a couple games for folks to determine what "your way" is. and in my case... you better accept that everyone knows how you can do it better... :P

frickin critics... oh no thats not as funny as the last one... I did not detect enough acid in his response... fuck you!!! suck on this.. here just a second I'm gonna go get...roger fuckin ebert over there telling me how to play....

<grumbling>
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Isgrimnur wrote:So what got me the "Sir Not Appearing In This Forum Game Award"??
I think the short of it was that killing you was untraceable.
Kraegor

Post by Kraegor »

Kraegor wrote:
Semaj wrote: Does everyone get this way? Does it ever go away?
oh yeah most importantly... generally folks are gonna piss you off on purpose... or simply make you hesitant... eliminates you as a threat without having to kill you... also forces you to reveal information...

the game is about interrogation without evidence... if you know folks are going to treat you this way...
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Man, you've had a lot bottled up, eh?
:D
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Remus West wrote:
Yep. If I had thought it necessary I'd have brought up numerous incidents already in-game of me doing it or someone else doing it. Trust me, it wasn't a slip. Athena is very easy to refer to as a feminine, but Starbuck much less so because Athena is a feminine name and Starbuck isn't.
"It's my manner, sir. It looks insubordinate, but it isn't, really."
theohall

Post by theohall »

Ok... since it seemed I was a complete idiot... I was trying to get Baltar to waste a scan by looking at a lowly citizen. But y'all killed me instead. :)
Semaj

Post by Semaj »

Lassr wrote:
Remus West wrote:BTW, without #10 there is nothing to keep the human side from doing a mass reveal day 1 and having a lockdown on where the potential Cylons are. You would either need to reduce the number of powered humans or increase the pool of unpowereds imo.
exactly. Next game will probably be a simpler version.
You could... crazy talk I know... Put in a limiter that you cant mass reveal for 2 days if it's a viable problem. Or... You could keep the powered roles low enough to make it hard to mass out.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Semaj wrote:Does everyone get this way?
I felt like that my first few games, but more early on since I was always dead by Day 3. But always Powered, so I had that going for me. :)
Does it ever go away?
To the apparent detriment of my team, I seem to have gotten over it. ;)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Sean, Minister of KtSP

Post by Sean, Minister of KtSP »

Semaj wrote:I assume once I start posting I am going to say something dumb and die. Good, Evil, no matter. It's why if I am alive later in games I stop trying to post who is evil and why o meters. I assume even if I am a trusted and good role, if I post enough people will forget and try to kill me.

Does everyone get this way? Does it ever go away?
I think I knew this was going to be a serious possibility in my first few games, so I made a conscious effort to play in ways that might set up false assumptions about me in others, and to make "poor" choices, so that others might think I was more thoughtless and sloppy than I really am. I'm still doing that (although now I've let the cat out of the bag). It also helped that in my first game I got a good special. Grund and Kraegor's natural aggression actually helped, as it gave me something to stand up against, and a reason to return aggression.

With the exception of my bitching about getting lynched for quietude in the quirks game, every "tantrum" I've thrown has been a fishing expedition.

My biggest concern was and still is trying to figure out the other people.

Also, I think I lucked out my first few games, and managed to dodge the "Let's lynch the new guy" tendency. I know in your first couple of games, you seemed to bring it out in people.
"Sweet dreams, Mr. Stiffly."
"I have told you, my name is not... ... ...Sweet dreams, Monster-san."
Semaj

Post by Semaj »

Sean, Minister of KtSP wrote:Also, I think I lucked out my first few games, and managed to dodge the "Let's lynch the new guy" tendency. I know in your first couple of games, you seemed to bring it out in people.
My first game was 300, I avoided it, converted the Seer and was set to win when the boards died.

I dont think that helped my cause.
Kraegor

Post by Kraegor »

besides... no one really knows exactly what's going on. The right answer can be twisted just as easily as a wrong one. the expectation of making no mistakes is unrealistic. so accept that yer gonna screw up and do it anyway :P

only reason I never pushed in this game was because I didn't have to. Impersonators around every corner. Sure fine. I can work with that. Had both of you lined up right beside me the entire game with scoop running as lead blocker. Let ya'll take the heat. huh? what? I was just standing here...

ok so maybe the other cylons had to put in some more effort, heh.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Semaj wrote:
Sean, Minister of KtSP wrote:Also, I think I lucked out my first few games, and managed to dodge the "Let's lynch the new guy" tendency. I know in your first couple of games, you seemed to bring it out in people.
My first game was 300, I avoided it, converted the Seer and was set to win when the boards died.

If you want my opinion, and I will pretend you do... Your only "problem" (and I'm not really sure it is one) is that you constantly discuss yourself. You almost 'ask for attention'. No, scratch that - you do. You 'ask for attention'. So people give it. Then you protest and whine about it.

I've found it's best - Regardless what role you've been given, to try (and I myself struggle), but to try and make the game less about yourself.

You like to say that "everyone always ________ , when I ______" and that's actually not true.
And hell, IF it was true, you should be smart enough to make somethine as awesome as "everyone always _____, when I _______" to your own advantage.
Mr Bubbles

Post by Mr Bubbles »

Unagi wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:So what got me the "Sir Not Appearing In This Forum Game Award"??
Actually I believe Remus is the one to blame. He thought Isgrimnur was dropping hints or acting suspicious. Honestly it was a crap shoot anyway. We all just had to lynch someone.. Sorry Isgrimnur :twisted:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.”
Bertrand Russell
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Mr Bubbles wrote:
Unagi wrote:
Actually I believe Remus is the one to blame. He thought Isgrimnur was dropping hints or acting suspicious. Honestly it was a crap shoot anyway. We all just had to lynch someone.. Sorry Isgrimnur :twisted:
Very well could have been. I stopped thinking about it. Didn't miss a wink of sleep. :twisted: :P

Had a little to do with the neat little move you had made as Demon in the drinking game. I figured I do not have a good feel for you yet and you had shown the ability to be dangerous...thus I didn't want to have to sweat you being around.
Semaj

Post by Semaj »

Unagi wrote:
Semaj wrote:

If you want my opinion, and I will pretend you do... Your only "problem" (and I'm not really sure it is one) is that you constantly discuss yourself. You almost 'ask for attention'. No, scratch that - you do. You 'ask for attention'. So people give it. Then you protest and whine about it.

I've found it's best - Regardless what role you've been given, to try (and I myself struggle), but to try and make the game less about yourself.

You like to say that "everyone always ________ , when I ______" and that's actually not true.
And hell, IF it was true, you should be smart enough to make somethine as awesome as "everyone always _____, when I _______" to your own advantage.
I've cut back in ye old whining.... At least I'd like to think I have. However when I expected to die, I very much wanted to tease you and remus about my spitting out some tells :)

I figured you guys were making that up out of whole cloth to see if I flinched.
Austin

Post by Austin »

Pssst. Remus, I'm 7. :ninja:
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

What Remus said. With so many powered players, if the humans do a turn one mass reveal, they've got a pretty steady path to victory. Only 10 prevents that.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Unagi wrote:
That doesn't really explain why I was the target.
Semaj

Post by Semaj »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Unagi wrote:
I'll go from personal bad guy experience.

You tend to feel guilty about killing specific people on Night 1, esp if they are someone who dies a lot early (at least in recent games).

You instead have a crap shoot. Who is worrisome, who isn't a threat later on, who do you think you can get bandwagons on. For instance, I rarely kill Remus when I am bad, because He does such a good job of getting others killed or himself killed. But someone has to die night one. You can't hope to get a powered unless they are a moron and drop a huge hint you figure out.

Instead you pick someone and you hope they don't get too mad about a night one kill. it's nothing personal, either they are a threat that needs to be dropped or you just pick someone who has had a decent run at living and plop em down. I doubt there is a much better answer than that. I don't think they got a tell on you implying you were powered. I think it was just your time.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Unagi wrote:
I don't follow, doesn't it?

(not that it was their reason, but how doesn't that explain it, if it was?)
Triggercut wrote:For reasons I've long since forgotten we picked Isgrimnur as our first kill. I think it was to make the kill untraceable to any of us.
Isgrimnur

Re: BSG V - Chaosraven Penentrated -Day 4

Post by Isgrimnur »

It didn't bother me, just kinda wondering if there was something from my limited posting that raised suspicion, a carry over from a previous game, or just a random shot.

From an explanation standpoint, is it supposed to be that there's no apparent grudges against me here yet, nothing in my playstyle yet that suggests who would pull the trigger on me?
stessier wrote:That leaves Isgrimnur. Sadly, it looks like he only had 3 posts in the whole game - Johnathan Frakes, a poem about Helo finding earth only to land on Dollhouse (which was kind of funny, actually), and a lynched binky. I have no idea about him.
Thanks for that, stessier. It made my afternoon.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Pew-pew.

:twisted:
Hodor.
Unagi

Re: BSG V - Chaosraven Penentrated -Day 4

Post by Unagi »

Isgrimnur wrote:From an explanation standpoint, is it supposed to be that there's no apparent grudges against me here yet, nothing in my playstyle yet that suggests who would pull the trigger on me?
That was pretty much how I took it when Triggercut colored it that way.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Wow, I just realized how ironic it is that Starbuck actually went to Leoben's room to protect him. I hadn't put that fine a point on it yet.

Fun! :D
Mr Bubbles

Post by Mr Bubbles »

Unagi wrote:Wow, I just realized how ironic it is that Starbuck actually went to Leoben's room to protect him. I hadn't put that fine a point on it yet.

There were a few defining moments in the game. Newcastles protection of Remus was one of them. We no longer had to worry about if anyone was protected. It really removed a dynamic of the game. Cheers to Newcastle.
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.”
Bertrand Russell
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Mr Bubbles wrote:
Unagi wrote:Wow, I just realized how ironic it is that Starbuck actually went to Leoben's room to protect him. I hadn't put that fine a point on it yet.

There were a few defining moments in the game. Newcastles protection of Remus was one of them. We no longer had to worry about if anyone was protected. It really removed a dynamic of the game. Cheers to Newcastle.
At least my strenuous protestation regarding Scoop's lynching paid off in some manner since it seems to have also gotten me scanned. :lol:
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Mr Bubbles wrote:

Yes, I was talking about the irony in the context of the show, as Starbuck and Leoben had a connection that could very well have compelled Starbuck to check on Leoben, perhaps compelled for no real good reason.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

BTW, forgot to mention this earlier, but thanks Lassr for running the game. It was extremely entertaining, and I appreciated the wonderful flavor text.