R.I.P. The thread of death....celebrity or otherwise

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: R.I.P. The thread of death....celebrity or otherwise

Post by Daehawk »

RM2 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:15 pm Robbie Robertson of the Band :

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ro ... -rcna99107
RIP. I remember their 70s stuff when I was just a little kid...Cripple Creek and Drove Old Dixie Down. Still part of my brain 45 years later.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Oh, dammit. I was just listening to him recently. He did a couple of solo albums that I really, really liked (Music for The Native Americans and Contact from the Underworld of Redboy) after a friend introduced me to them a few years ago.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:08 pm

Oh, dammit. I was just listening to him recently. He did a couple of solo albums that I really, really liked (Music for The Native Americans and Contact from the Underworld of Redboy) after a friend introduced me to them a few years ago.
One from each:

stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Strangely, the wife and I were just listening to him last week.
Well, to be specific, we were listening to him because a different band, The BoDeans, are playing nearby next month ad she asked if I wanted to go.
I said "No Sammy, no go".
She was like.....what?

I explained that the Bodeans lost, what to me, was an integral part of the band years ago when the co-lead singer, Sammy Llanas left.

She wasnt sure who he was, so I pulled up some old BoDeans videos, which then led me to this:

Man, Robbie wrote some classic, classic stuff.
Always made me smile when I read that his voice was considered the weakest of those in The Band.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

JOHNNY HARDWICK, 'KING OF THE HILL' STAR DEAD AT 64
Johnny Hardwick, known for playing Dale Gribble on "King of the Hill," has died.

Law enforcement sources tell TMZ they were called to Hardwick's Texas home Tuesday for a welfare check and discovered his body. We're told Hardwick was pronounced dead at the scene ... and no foul play is suspected. We don't yet know the cause of death.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

If Dr. Rusty Shackleford is the one who pronounces him dead, I have a feeling he'll resurface at some point.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I just never understood him I guess.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:23 pm JOHNNY HARDWICK, 'KING OF THE HILL' STAR DEAD AT 64
Johnny Hardwick, known for playing Dale Gribble on "King of the Hill," has died.

Law enforcement sources tell TMZ they were called to Hardwick's Texas home Tuesday for a welfare check and discovered his body. We're told Hardwick was pronounced dead at the scene ... and no foul play is suspected. We don't yet know the cause of death.
RIP Dale, you giblet head…

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/pop ... -rcna42292

RIP Bob

Remember to spay and neuter your pets!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I was starting to think he'd live forever. Never missed an ep in the 70s and then in the first part of the 80s. my family loved The Price is Right.

I thought Bob Barker is kicking ass in Happy Gilmore? when i saw him in it.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Closest to 100 without going over.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Also...remember to spay and neuter your pets folks.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

WYBaugh wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:55 pm
RIP Bob
The patron saint of Children Home Sick From School Throughout the 80’s.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Arleen Sorkin:
Arleen Sorkin, known for voicing Harley Quinn across the animated DC Universe, has died. She was 67.

Sorkin began her career in television in 1982 with an appearance on Saturday Night Live as a background actor. In 1987 she was part of the cast of the sitcom Duet where she played the role of Geneva. She would later go on to appear in Open House (1989), Dream On (1990) and Perry Mason: The Case of the Killer Kiss.

In 1992, Sorkin began voicing Harley Quinn in Batman: The Animated Series. She would reprise her role in other shows like Superman: The Animated Series, Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker, Gotham Girls, Justice League and Static Shock. Sorkin also lent her voice as Harley Quinn for DC video games like Batman: Arkham Asylum, DC Universe Online and DC Universe Online: The Last Laugh.

Sorkin also played Calliope Jones Bradford in the NBC daytime soap Days of Our Lives.
A more detailed write up on the Harley Quinn genesis is on the A.V. Club.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Awwww . At first I didn't recognize her except for the Harley Quinn stuff but then her name, look, and character from Days of Our Lives hit me and I remembered her finally from there. Her character was kinda ditsy and silly. I can remember my wife commenting on her from that show many times. Bless her. RIP girl.
Zarathud

R.I.P. The thread of death....celebrity or otherwise

Post by Zarathud »

The last season of Harley Quinn animated series has been my life affirming show the past few weeks. Very sad, loved the show.

Edit: Nevermind, I’m watching Kaley Cuoco as Harley Quinn.
"A lie can run round the world before the truth has got its boots on." -Terry Pratchett, The Truth
"The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to those who think they've found it." -Terry Pratchett, Monstrous Regiment
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yeah, she was the original Harley. Batman: The Animated Series was actually the first appearance of the character - she's one of the very few characters who started on TV and then made their way to comics rather than the other way around. And Sorkin's portrayal was a big part of that.
malchior

Post by malchior »

RIP Jimmy Buffett
Jimmy Buffett, the singer, songwriter, author, sailor and entrepreneur whose roguish brand of island escapism on hits like “Margaritaville” and “Fins” made him something of a latter-day folk hero, especially among his devoted following of so-called Parrot Heads, has died at 76.

“Jimmy passed away peacefully on the night of September 1st surrounded by his family, friends, music and dogs,” a statement on Mr. Buffett’s website and social media said on Saturday. “He lived his life like a song till the very last breath and will be missed beyond measure by so many.”

Peopled with pirates, smugglers, beach bums and barflies, Mr. Buffett’s genial, self-deprecating songs conjured a world of sun, saltwater and nonstop parties animated by the calypso country-rock of his limber Coral Reefer Band. His live shows abounded with singalong anthems and festive tropical iconography, making him a perennial draw on the summer concert circuit, where he built an ardent fan base akin to the Grateful Dead’s Dead Heads.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

There was a weird Buffett phase one semester in college where every single party we went to played him non stop. I even begrudgingly started to like some of his tunes.

While I doubt I’ve listened to it in 30 years, I’m guessing I could still probably sing every song on his greatest hits album. “He Went to Paris” is a really fantastic tune.

RIP
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Well damn. I wasn't a die-hard fan by any means, but no one can deny he was a legend. Go enjoy your cheeseburger in paradise, sir.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

RIP man with excellent priorities in Jurassic World

Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

RIP Jimmy. Again a part of my entire life. Not a Parrot or whatever his fans are called but did enjoy his songs when they played..

Whoever wrote his obit used way to many adjective.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Aww, damn - that's a bummer. I'm like the rest of you, not a parrot-head, but I've always enjoyed his music when it was on. Growing up, one of my good friend's mom was a huge fan, and most of my exposure was over at their house.

Some really great lyrics in his music. He really championed the beach-bum life beautifully well. :(
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I only really knew Margaritaville, and I've sure I must've heard other songs in the same vein. Beach culture isn't my thing but the music is pleasant enough. RIP King of the Beach Bums.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Other songs I'd think anyone would have heard:
"Why don't we get drunk (and screw)"
"Changes In Latitudes, Changes In Attitudes"
"Pencil Thin Mustache"
"Cheeseburger In Paradise"
"Son of a Son of a Sailor"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

As I recall...may be totally wrong...he did start out in country music. But he couldn't make a dent and became the beach bum island / bar singer guy. He was part of the the start of the rebellious country singers like Waylon, Willy, and the like of Outlaw Country. Not the mainstream country by any means.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

One of my all-time faves -- his concerts were always the best party you've ever attended. For awhile I subscribed to Sirius just because of their Margaritaville channel. Loved his writing too -- his novels weren't Pulitzer Prize material, but they were the epitome of "beach reads." That his FB group that usually touted (and often broadcast) weekly concerts had been eerily silent this year made me think something was up. Skin cancer -- that's a bitch, but I suppose a fitting way to go for someone who exemplified the beach life style.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:36 pm As I recall...may be totally wrong...he did start out in country music. But he couldn't make a dent and became the beach bum island / bar singer guy. He was part of the the start of the rebellious country singers like Waylon, Willy, and the like of Outlaw Country. Not the mainstream country by any means.
He did, but found his niche in calypso-style pop. He still recorded with a lot of country people and turned other's songs into his own (like CSN's Southern Cross).

We had a Buffett bar in town up to the beginning of the year, when it was bought out (new owners still haven't reopened their new concept). It was next door to my daughter's dance studio -- I'd drop her off and go in for a beer or three. I was called the keg killer -- I always wound up with the last beer coaxed from a keg (and since it wasn't a full beer. it was always comped). I got them to play Buffett music when I was there and in the mood, and for some reason one of the waitresses signed "I love you" to me. Since they closed, a microbrewery opened across the street and now this new place, if and when they open, will have competition for my attention.
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

My dad used to have a Cadillac hearse that he had hot-rodded out with purple flames along the side. He used to always drive it to car shows and concerts and things because it was always sure to attract a crowd.

He drove it to a Jimmy Buffet concert in Charlotte and wound up behind Jimmy's tour bus. At one point during the show Jimmy said, "Hey who here was driving that hearse with the purple flames? <laughing> That's messed up, man!" :D

My knowledge of Jimmy Buffett songs never went past the greatest hits album, but I do love that record. "Come Monday" is probably my favorite song of his - I enjoyed the slow sad songs like "A Pirate Looks at 40" over his party tunes.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This is a song by Jimmy that came out in 1974 so Ive heard it all my life. Its not really a beach song either. Has a good intro by Jimmy.

Come Monday - Jimmy Buffett
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Jeff V wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:26 pm
He did, but found his niche in calypso-style pop. He still recorded with a lot of country people and turned other's songs into his own (like CSN's Southern Cross).

Speaking of which, I found out years ago he covered an Acadian artist's song and made a beautiful version of it, to the point it easily sounded like something he could have come up with himself. It was totally his jam.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

My brother was a fan of both Jimmy Buffett & Travis McGee. He always wanted to live on a boat, and perpetually had a stack of Boat Trader magazines in his bedroom. We even looked at a few boats together one time. Jimmy got to fly rear seat with the Blue Angels once, call sign "Brillo". He said the training he received later helped him escape from a float plane that he crash landed on water which promptly sank. This celebrity death really beach bums me out. :shock:

I may buy a cheap liveaboard and sail off into a hurricane someday if it's cheaper than getting up to Green Boots territory with the Sherpas on Everest, but not for awhile. :wink:
Don't wanna go to Three Mile Island, don't wanna see my skin aglow.
Re-electing Biden is like the Titanic backing up to hit the iceberg again!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Not really uplifting news:
Former Smash Mouth lead singer Steve Harwell died early Monday at his home in Boise, Idaho, a representative confirmed to CBS News. He was 56.

The artist — whose band is best known for the 1999 hit "All Star" — had been in hospice care, according to representative Robert Hayes.

A cause of death was not released.

Harwell retired from the band after a concert in upstate New York about two years ago, where he was heard slurring his words and making vaguely threatening comments toward the audience, according to Variety.
Other sites have suggested his cause of death was complications associated with alcoholism.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

That sucks, I saw Smashmouth once and it was a memorable show, namely because it was in small venue in Hollywood at a private party (nVidia). I always thought they could have done more than they did.
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I read yesterday that he was not expected to live long and it was fur to alcoholism. Very sad.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Radar Online
Sources close to the band revealed that the singer had been dealing with a number of health issues, including cardiomyopathy, heart failure, and Wernicke's encephalopathy.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Illya Kuryakin has died.

David McCallum made it to 90. Good on him. When I was a kid, I wanted to be Illya. He was the definition of cool.
Now depoliticized.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

RIP, Ducky.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:18 pm RIP, Ducky.
Holy cow, for a second I thought Jon Cryer had died.