Congressional Agency Questions Legality of Wiretaps

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Arcanis

Re: Congressional Agency Questions Legality of Wiretaps

Post by Arcanis »

cheeba wrote:Candidate Obama debates President Obama
Candidate Obama, "This administration [Bush] also puts forward a false choice between the liberties we cherish and the security we provide." lol, asshole.
He is a politician, liar & asshole are required to even apply for the job.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."--George Orwell
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

What if journalists covering American news used the same kind of language they use when covering foreign countries?

Peter Gelling demonstrates:
GlobalPost wrote:BOSTON, Mass. — Human rights activists say revelations that the US regime has expanded its domestic surveillance program to private phone carriers is more evidence of the North American country’s pivot toward authoritarianism.

The Guardian, a British newspaper, reported this week that a wing of the country’s feared intelligence and security apparatus ordered major telecommunications companies to hand over data on phone calls made by private citizens.

“The US leadership in Washington continues to erode basic human rights,” said one activist, who asked to remain anonymous, fearing that speaking out publicly could endanger his organization. “If the US government is unwilling to change course, it’s time the international community considered economic sanctions.”

Over the last decade, the United States has passed a series of emergency laws that give security forces sweeping powers to combat “terrorism.” But foreign observers say the authorities abuse those laws, using them instead to monitor ordinary Americans.

While the so-called Patriot Act passed in 2001 is perhaps the most dramatic legislation to date curbing freedoms here, numerous lesser-known laws have expanded monitoring of news outlets, email, social media platforms and even opposition groups — like the Occupy and Tea Party movements — that are critical of the regime.

US leader Barack Obama, a former liberal community organizer and the country's first black president who attracted a wave of support from young voters, rose to power in 2008 promising reform. He was greeted in the United States — a country of about 300 million people — with optimism. But he has since disappointed those supporters, ruling with a sometimes iron fist and continuing, if not expanding, the policies of the country’s former ruler, George W. Bush.

On a recent visit to the United States by GlobalPost, signs of the increased security apparatus could be found everywhere.

At all national airports, passengers are now forced to undergo full-body scans before boarding any flights. Small cameras are perched on many street corners, recording the movements and actions of the public. And incessant warnings on public transportation systems encourage citizens to report any “suspicious activity” to authorities.

Several American villagers interviewed for this story said the ubiquitous government marketing campaign called, “If you see something, say something,” does little to make them feel safer and, in fact, only contributes to a growing mistrust among the general population.

“I’ve deleted my Facebook account, stopped using email, or visiting websites that might be considered anti-regime,” a resident of the northern city of Boston, a tough-as-nails town synonymous with rebellion, told GlobalPost. It was in Boston that an American militia first rose up against the British empire. “But my phone? How can I stop using my phone? This has gone too far.”

American dissidents interviewed by GlobalPost inside the United States say surveillance by domestic intelligence agencies is just one part of a seemingly larger effort by the Obama administration to centralize power.
It's definitely worth reading in its entirety.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

That's brilliant!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Defiant wrote:
Pyperkub wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:
Pyperkub wrote:I know that I'll be cutting a nice donation to the EFFthis year. I hope others will too.
Talk to me after I'm employed, and I very well might.
Actually figured no time like the present, and just laid down the credit card. I've been thinking and talking about it for quite awhile, and figured it was time to put my money where my mouth is has been.
Also, you could buy humble bundles, and set the money to all go to the EFF. Money for the EFF, games for you (or gifted to someone else), it's win-win.
Nah, I did it for the swag :mrgreen:
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Again corporations aren't the problem Government is not the problem. The two sleeping together terrifies me.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/13/living/bu ... mining130p" target="_blank

I meh this but when I think about companies handing this over this over to a secret unaccountable Federal court.

Though this makes me laugh:
7. Target can tell if you're pregnant before you do.

Target made news last year when it was revealed that its mailer system tracks purchase history and mails coupons based on those purchases. The system got a little too accurate for comfort when a Target in Minneapolis determined that a teenager was pregnant before she did. The mailer system analyzed her previous purchases and noticed that what she was buying in terms of groceries and toiletries fit a trend that usually meant a customer was in the early stages of pregnancy. Unfortunately, the girl and her family didn't know that yet. Sure enough, though, the mailer system was right, the girl was pregnant, and Target's purchase analysis figured it out before the humans it was monitoring did.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Pyperkub wrote:
Defiant wrote:
Pyperkub wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:
Pyperkub wrote:I know that I'll be cutting a nice donation to the EFFthis year. I hope others will too.
Talk to me after I'm employed, and I very well might.
Actually figured no time like the present, and just laid down the credit card. I've been thinking and talking about it for quite awhile, and figured it was time to put my money where my mouth is has been.
Also, you could buy humble bundles, and set the money to all go to the EFF. Money for the EFF, games for you (or gifted to someone else), it's win-win.
Nah, I did it for the swag :mrgreen:
Anyone remember the Copyleft store? I still have a bunch of shirts from there (including a few of these). Cool stuff, helped support the EFF. Well Copyleft.net is gone and now I go to the EFF Store and all they have are shirts that say "KingPin." :(
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

This is a bit of a tangent, but it was a WTF moment for me: the We Are Watching You Act would allow consumers to opt out of being monitored by their TV sets. If a viewer opts in and allows monitoring, the company would have to clearly display “We are watching you” on the TV screen.

Huh?
Cable and technology companies such as Verizon are trying to develop monitoring systems that would be built into cable TV subscribers’ set-top boxes or digital video recorders and use cameras and microphones to keep tabs on the movements and comments of viewers — even to the point of detecting their moods.

Verizon in 2011 unsuccessfully sought a patent for a monitoring system that would determine what kind of ads to broadcast to viewers based on their behavior while watching TV.

The system would detect sound, body movements, and activities such as eating and drinking and present commercials to those viewers accordingly. A viewer drinking a can of Budweiser, for example, may see an ad for the beer company, Verizon said in patent documents. The system would even detect moods, determining that someone humming or singing an upbeat tune was happy:

“Accordingly, one or more advertisements may be selected for presentation to the user that are configured to target happy people.”

Or the system could detect two people “cuddling on a couch” and deliver “a commercial for a romantic getaway vacation, a commercial for a contraceptive, a commercial for flowers, a commercial including a trailer for an upcoming romantic comedy movie, etc.”
I'll bet the NSA would love to get its dirty little probes into that data stream.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

The AP are really getting their digs in now. They're showing democrats circling the NSA Chum before song and dancing like the president knows what's going on.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/06/13/ma ... eve-about/" target="_blank

And I'll repeat. It's amazing Clapper hasn't resigned already.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Kraken wrote:This is a bit of a tangent, but it was a WTF moment for me: the We Are Watching You Act would allow consumers to opt out of being monitored by their TV sets. If a viewer opts in and allows monitoring, the company would have to clearly display “We are watching you” on the TV screen.

I'll bet the NSA would love to get its dirty little probes into that data stream.
Enlarge Image

The weapons of liberty!
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Rip

Post by Rip »

This Snowden guy sounds a lot like many of us.
His prowess with computer networks isn't a surprise, says John Herrman at BuzzFeed, now that we've discovered he's "a member of a growing and increasingly powerful alumni group: The internet people." For a few years, and more than 800 posts, Snowden was a frequent contributor to Ars Technica forums — the successor to Usenet and precursor of Reddit — making him "a part of the internet's relatively small but powerful creative nucleus."
Once he opened his mouth, Snowden outed himself not just as the leaker but as an internet person, says Herman, and his forum persona "is instantly recognizable to anyone who spent time in a major forum in the early to mid-2000s."
He's a bit of a know-it-all, a bit of a troll, opinionated about both subjects he knows well and ones he doesn't. He unsubtly references his sex life, his security clearance, and his mysterious work. He was not shy about giving advice, which is probably the defining trait of the forum power user....
Most of the people he used to interact with are long gone — like Snowden, they grew up, and receded back into the real world. But he took with him the set of values he either learned or became comfortable expressing online: A keen interest in rights and speech, particularly where they concern the internet and privacy, suspicion of government and authority, a belief in both free markets and free-flowing information, and a set of cultural and aesthetic values that both set him apart from the mainstream and endear him to his people — the internet people. [BuzzFeed]
A whole group of people out there are just like Snowden, says BuzzFeed's Herman, and that should make the NSA, and any organization with secrets, a little nervous. Because when you move from how to why, the answer is a little unsettling, Herman says: "This isn't about 'hacktivism' or some kind of unified cause. This is about the children of the internet coming of age."
http://news.yahoo.com/edward-snowden-st ... 00307.html
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

47 Reps call for Holder's removal.

Good luck with that.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Rip

Post by Rip »

The National Security Agency has acknowledged in a new classified briefing that it does not need court authorization to listen to domestic phone calls.
Rep. Jerrold Nadler, a New York Democrat, disclosed this week that during a secret briefing to members of Congress, he was told that the contents of a phone call could be accessed "simply based on an analyst deciding that."
If the NSA wants "to listen to the phone," an analyst's decision is sufficient, without any other legal authorization required, Nadler said he learned. "I was rather startled," said Nadler, an attorney and congressman who serves on the House Judiciary committee.
Not only does this disclosure shed more light on how the NSA's formidable eavesdropping apparatus works domestically, it also suggests the Justice Department has secretly interpreted federal surveillance law to permit thousands of low-ranking analysts to eavesdrop on phone calls.
Because the same legal standards that apply to phone calls also apply to e-mail messages, text messages, and instant messages, Nadler's disclosure indicates the NSA analysts could also access the contents of Internet communications without going before a court and seeking approval.
The disclosure appears to confirm some of the allegations made by Edward Snowden, a former NSA infrastructure analyst who leaked classified documents to the Guardian. Snowden said in a video interview that, while not all NSA analysts had this ability, he could from Hawaii "wiretap anyone from you or your accountant to a federal judge to even the president."
There are serious "constitutional problems" with this approach, said Kurt Opsahl, a senior staff attorney at the Electronic Frontier Foundation who has litigated warrantless wiretapping cases. "It epitomizes the problem of secret laws."
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57589 ... -warrants/

Did someone say they weren't listening?

:ninja:
— Benjamin Rush
--
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's not like most Senators give a crap to stay in town and listen to briefings anyway:
Next time you hear your U.S. senators say they’re concerned about the NSA surveillance program, double-check their attendance record. According to The Hill, more than half the Senate skipped a classified briefing by the head of the NSA to fly home early for a long weekend. Only 47 out of 100 senators attended the ultra-secure meeting, held Thursday afternoon after the Senate had officially held its last vote of the week.
malchior

Post by malchior »

So my guess is that the NSA is capturing all traffic flowing through key nodes of the Internet for some period of time. The technology exists. It'd take massive data storage and transmission capabilities but distributed tools exist and can be bought off the shelf right now. I manage one such deployment and it is a powerful tool. If something like this does exists -- I at least hope they have tight controls around usage if that is the case because the damage someone could do with it would be vast on an individual level.
theohall

Post by theohall »

And the Officer Bar Brady administration continues.
Nothing to see here. Move along. Move along.
theohall

Post by theohall »

[Url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_Committee[/url]

Early warnings from the 1970s. Interesting that this is coming to a head under a supposed anti-spying President, especially based on his election statements.
theohall

Post by theohall »

[Url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_Committee[/url]

Early warnings from the 1970s. Interesting that this is coming to a head under a supposed anti-spying President, especially based on his election statements.[/quote]
theohall

Post by theohall »

Church committee

Early warnings from the 1970s. Interesting that this is coming to a head under a supposed anti-spying President, especially based on his election statements.
Rip

Post by Rip »

It would seem the time is ripe for people to find out just how invasive the spy game is become, not just here.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/jun/1 ... 20-summits
Foreign politicians and officials who took part in two G20 summit meetings in London in 2009 had their computers monitored and their phone calls intercepted on the instructions of their British government hosts, according to documents seen by the Guardian. Some delegates were tricked into using internet cafes which had been set up by British intelligence agencies to read their email traffic.

The revelation comes as Britain prepares to host another summit on Monday – for the G8 nations, all of whom attended the 2009 meetings which were the object of the systematic spying. It is likely to lead to some tension among visiting delegates who will want the prime minister to explain whether they were targets in 2009 and whether the exercise is to be repeated this week.

The disclosure raises new questions about the boundaries of surveillance by GCHQ and its American sister organisation, the National Security Agency, whose access to phone records and internet data has been defended as necessary in the fight against terrorism and serious crime. The G20 spying appears to have been organised for the more mundane purpose of securing an advantage in meetings. Named targets include long-standing allies such as South Africa and Turkey.

There have often been rumours of this kind of espionage at international conferences, but it is highly unusual for hard evidence to confirm it and spell out the detail. The evidence is contained in documents – classified as top secret – which were uncovered by the NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden and seen by the Guardian. They reveal that during G20 meetings in April and September 2009 GCHQ used what one document calls "ground-breaking intelligence capabilities" to intercept the communications of visiting delegations.

This included:

• Setting up internet cafes where they used an email interception programme and key-logging software to spy on delegates' use of computers;

• Penetrating the security on delegates' BlackBerrys to monitor their email messages and phone calls;

• Supplying 45 analysts with a live round-the-clock summary of who was phoning who at the summit;

• Targeting the Turkish finance minister and possibly 15 others in his party;

• Receiving reports from an NSA attempt to eavesdrop on the Russian leader, Dmitry Medvedev, as his phone calls passed through satellite links to Moscow.

The documents suggest that the operation was sanctioned in principle at a senior level in the government of the then prime minister, Gordon Brown, and that intelligence, including briefings for visiting delegates, was passed to British ministers.
So I guess that is how we get are allegations to accuse the Chinese of, whatever we (US and so-called allies) do just accuse the Chinese of it.

Not that they aren't doing it as well, I am sure they are. Just they are less proficient at it although much more proficient at keeping it somewhat secretive. I suppose the same could be said of the Russians.
— Benjamin Rush
--
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

I haven't seen it in a long time, so when I was in Target saturday I bought the movie Enemy of the State. It was made in 1998, 3 years before 9/11 and The Patriot Act.

Watching it now it's like taking news straight from today's headlines.

Bruckheimer and Tony Scott were way ahead of the times on this one.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Van Halen - 1992

Enlarge Image
Anonymous Bosch

Further perspective offered from three other ex-NSA officials that attempted to legitimately blow the whistle on the NSA's data-mining shenanigans and suffered the consequences:
USA Today wrote:When a National Security Agency contractor revealed top-secret details this month on the government's collection of Americans' phone and Internet records, one select group of intelligence veterans breathed a sigh of relief.

Thomas Drake, William Binney and J. Kirk Wiebe belong to a select fraternity: the NSA officials who paved the way.

For years, the three whistle-blowers had told anyone who would listen that the NSA collects huge swaths of communications data from U.S. citizens. They had spent decades in the top ranks of the agency, designing and managing the very data-collection systems they say have been turned against Americans. When they became convinced that fundamental constitutional rights were being violated, they complained first to their superiors, then to federal investigators, congressional oversight committees and, finally, to the news media.

To the intelligence community, the trio are villains who compromised what the government classifies as some of its most secret, crucial and successful initiatives. They have been investigated as criminals and forced to give up careers, reputations and friendships built over a lifetime.

Today, they feel vindicated.

They say the documents leaked by Edward Snowden, the 29-year-old former NSA contractor who worked as a systems administrator, proves their claims of sweeping government surveillance of millions of Americans not suspected of any wrongdoing. They say those revelations only hint at the programs' reach.

Q: Did Edward Snowden do the right thing in going public?

William Binney: We tried to stay for the better part of seven years inside the government trying to get the government to recognize the unconstitutional, illegal activity that they were doing and openly admit that and devise certain ways that would be constitutionally and legally acceptable to achieve the ends they were really after. And that just failed totally because no one in Congress or — we couldn't get anybody in the courts, and certainly the Department of Justice and inspector general's office didn't pay any attention to it. And all of the efforts we made just produced no change whatsoever. All it did was continue to get worse and expand.

Q: So Snowden did the right thing?

Binney: Yes, I think he did.

Q: You three wouldn't criticize him for going public from the start?

J. Kirk Wiebe: Correct.

Binney: In fact, I think he saw and read about what our experience was, and that was part of his decision-making.

Wiebe: We failed, yes.

Jesselyn Radack: Not only did they go through multiple and all the proper internal channels and they failed, but more than that, it was turned against them. ... The inspector general was the one who gave their names to the Justice Department for criminal prosecution under the Espionage Act. And they were all targets of a federal criminal investigation, and Tom ended up being prosecuted — and it was for blowing the whistle.

Q: What did you learn from the document — the Verizon warrant issued by the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court — that Snowden leaked?

Drake: It's an extraordinary order. I mean, it's the first time we've publicly seen an actual, secret, surveillance-court order. I don't really want to call it "foreign intelligence" (court) anymore, because I think it's just become a surveillance court, OK? And we are all foreigners now. By virtue of that order, every single phone record that Verizon has is turned over each and every day to NSA.

There is no probable cause. There is no indication of any kind of counterterrorism investigation or operation. It's simply: "Give us the data." ...

There's really two other factors here in the order that you could get at. One is that the FBI requesting the data. And two, the order directs Verizon to pass all that data to NSA, not the FBI.

Binney: What it is really saying is the NSA becomes a processing service for the FBI to use to interrogate information directly. ... The implications are that everybody's privacy is violated, and it can retroactively analyze the activity of anybody in the country back almost 12 years.

Now, the other point that is important about that is the serial number of the order: 13-dash-80. That means it's the 80th order of the court in 2013. ... Those orders are issued every quarter, and this is the second quarter, so you have to divide 80 by two and you get 40.

If you make the assumption that all those orders have to deal with companies and the turnover of material by those companies to the government, then there are at least 40 companies involved in that transfer of information. However, if Verizon, which is Order No. 80, and the first quarter got order No. 1 — then there can be as many as 79 companies involved.

So somewhere between 40 and 79 is the number of companies, Internet and telecom companies, that are participating in this data transfer in the NSA.

Radack: I consider this to be an unlawful order. While I am glad that we finally have something tangible to look at, this order came from the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court. They have no jurisdiction to authorize domestic-to-domestic surveillance.

Binney: Not surprised, but it's documentation that can't be refuted.

Wiebe: It's formal proof of our suspicions.

Q: Even given the senior positions that you all were in, you had never actually seen one of these?

Drake: They're incredibly secret. It's a very close hold. ... It's a secret court with a secret appeals court. They are just not widely distributed, even in the government.

Q: What was your first reaction when you saw it?

Binney: Mine was that it's documentary evidence of what we have been saying all along, so they couldn't deny it.

Drake: For me, it was material evidence of an institutional crime that we now claim is criminal.

Binney: Which is still criminal.

Wiebe: It's criminal.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

The last Dan Carlin podcast is really good on this subject.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Rip

Post by Rip »

noxiousdog wrote:The last Dan Carlin podcast is really good on this subject.
Wow, love it so far. THX!
Rip

Post by Rip »

Oh, crap. Now the government knows I was listening to Dan Carlin.

Perhaps I should run to Hong Kong?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I think you overestimate your profile in the U.S.. :wink:
Now depoliticized.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Well, we can close up this thread. It's aaaaaallll good.

REMARKS BY PRESIDENT OBAMA AT THE BRANDENBURG GATE
Pariser Platz, Brandenburg Gate
Berlin, Germany
3:29 p.m. Central European time

[snip]
For throughout all this history, the fate of this city came down to a simple question: Will we live free or in chains? Under governments that uphold our universal rights, or regimes that suppress them? In open societies that respect the sanctity of the individual and our free will, or in closed societies that suffocate the soul?

As free peoples, we stated our convictions long ago. As Americans, we believe that "all men are created equal" with the right to life and liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. And as Germans, you declared in your Basic Law that "the dignity of man is inviolable." (Applause.) Around the world, nations have pledged themselves to a Universal Declaration of Human Rights, which recognizes the inherent dignity and rights of all members of our human family.

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

More from the everything you ever say or do can and will be used against you in the court of law where you are presumed guilty: NSA - "If you encrypt your communications, we can keep them for as long as it takes to unencrypt them"
If you use privacy tools, according to the apparent logic of the National Security Agency, it doesn’t much matter if you’re a foreigner or an American: your communications are subject to an extra dose of surveillance...

...The agency can collect and indefinitely hold any information gathered for “cryptanalytic, traffic analysis, or signal exploitation purposes,” according to the leaked “minimization procedures” meant to restrict NSA surveillance of Americans. ”Such communications can be retained for a period sufficient to allow thorough exploitation and to permit access to data that are, or are reasonably believed likely to become, relevant to a future foreign intelligence requirement,” the procedures read.

And one measure of that data’s relevance to foreign intelligence? The simple fact that the data is encrypted and that the NSA wants to crack it may be enough to let the agency keep it indefinitely.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Pshaw. It doesn't matter. As long as it's legal.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Well, obviously you must have something to hide if you encrypt your email.

This is some real 1984 shit.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Michaels Hastings dead in a single car explosion/crash in LA. Waiting on more information myself but all the stuff is there for this to be another great one for the conspiracy theory folks.

And of course he was about to blow this whole thing wide open, Cochese:
WASHINGTON – During the weeks before he was killed in a car crash in Los Angeles, reporter Michael Hastings was researching a story about a privacy lawsuit brought by Florida socialite Jill Kelley against the Department of Defense and the FBI.

Hastings, 33, was scheduled to meet with a representative of Kelley next week in Los Angeles to discuss the case, according to a person close to Kelley. Hastings wrote for Rolling Stone and the website BuzzFeed.

Kelley alleges that military officials and the FBI leaked her name to the media to discredit her after she reported receiving a stream of emails that were traced to Paula Broadwell, a biographer of former CIA director David H. Petraeus, according to a lawsuit filed in Federal District Court in Washington, D.C., on June 3.

The story about Kelley, Broadwell and the Petraeus affair would have been consistent with topics that Hastings has focused on during his reporting career. His unvarnished 2010 Rolling Stone profile of Gen. Stanley McChrystal, the top American commander in Afghanistan, led to McChrystal’s resignation. The story described the disdain McChrystal’s staff showed for President Obama and Vice President Joe Biden.

Which is a great PR opportunity for Wikileaks:
In the hours leading up to his death in a fiery car crash, a 'paranoid' Michael Hastings told WikiLeaks he was being investigated by the FBI, according to the whistleblowing website.

A tweet sent from WikiLeaks yesterday claimed: 'Michael Hastings contacted WikiLeaks lawyer Jennifer Robinson just a few hours before he died, saying that the FBI was investigating him.'
Fueling the suspicions, WikiLeaks posted a tweet claiming: 'Michael Hastings death has a very serious non-public complication. We will have more details later.'

Three hours later the website claimed Mr Hastings had contacted their lawyer a few hours before he died.

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

http://www.upworthy.com/he-was-asked-an ... ions?c=cd1" target="_blank

He was way off. $2.50 a gallon, hah!
mori

Post by mori »

Only skimming over the last page of the thread, this quote stuck out to me:
“The US leadership in Washington continues to erode basic human rights,” said one activist, who asked to remain anonymous, fearing that speaking out publicly could endanger his organization. “If the US government is unwilling to change course, it’s time the international community considered economic sanctions.”
Where the fuck do you think you live? About the most un-American statement I have read.
Anonymous Bosch

mori wrote:Only skimming over the last page of the thread, this quote stuck out to me:
Where the fuck do you think you live? About the most un-American statement I have read.
That's because, in your skimming, you seemingly overlooked the fact that the piece you are quoting was written satirically, showing how the story might read if American journalists used the same kind of language they use when covering foreign countries.
mori

Post by mori »

Touche'.
Holman

Post by Holman »

However, Russia’s ITAR-Tass news agency cited an unidentified Aeroflot official as saying Snowden would fly from Moscow to Cuba on Monday and then on to Caracas, Venezuela.
"Also, we will bury you."
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Holman wrote:
However, Russia’s ITAR-Tass news agency cited an unidentified Aeroflot official as saying Snowden would fly from Moscow to Cuba on Monday and then on to Caracas, Venezuela.
"Also, we will bury you."
Wikileaks said Ecuador

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Well, shit, WTF?
Contradicting a statement by ex-vice president Dick Cheney on Sunday that warrantless domestic surveillance might have prevented 9/11, 2007 court records indicate that the Bush-Cheney administration began such surveillance at least 7 months prior to 9/11.
Last edited by Pyperkub on Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

PS I think it is time for someone to make a movie of The Chancellor Manuscript...

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Pyperkub wrote:Well, shit, WTF?
Contradicting a statement by ex-vice president Dick Cheney on Sunday that warrantless domestic surveillance might have prevented 9/11, 2007 court records indicate that the Bush-Cheney administration began such surveillance at least 7 months prior to 9/11.
The page you requested does not exist.