2024 Fundraising - $1102 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Shutdown

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: Shutdown

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:42 am
Zaxxon wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:10 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote:"Kroeger's?"
Common way to refer to it. See also Jewel's in Chicago, Meijer's.

I don't like it, but I've heard it a ton.
I saw a comedian once commenting on this. It was something I never thought about or noticed I was doing but did. I made a conscious effort not to, and I think I've been successful at it.
FWIW, "Meijer's" is actually based on fact. It used to be "Meijer's Thrifty Acres."

pr0ner wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:00 am Well, this happened.

File under "Would be shit hitting the fan under any other Administration."
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I feel like we're finally approaching the endpoint, whatever that winds up being.
Black Lives Matter.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:09 amFuck.
No kidding. Just remembered that gilraen booked tickets for a trip to NYC in late March. Here's hoping this is all sorted out before then.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I'm supposed to go to India out of JFK *next week*...so hurray?
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Is that just passenger flights? I mean - the TSA is a federal thing, but certainly not FedEx box slingers, right? We're not talking about a chain effect where shipping also grinds to a halt... ?
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Just hire private jets. What's the big deal?
Sheesh......
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

stimpy wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:17 am Just hire private jets. What's the big deal?
Sheesh......
If I did that, I may have to get a second mortgage on my third home. This shutdown nonsense needs to end!
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Paingod wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:15 am Is that just passenger flights? I mean - the TSA is a federal thing, but certainly not FedEx box slingers, right? We're not talking about a chain effect where shipping also grinds to a halt... ?
It looks like in this case it is just Arrivals at LaGuardia. Departures are still outbound. I don't know if much cargo goes through LaGuardia but I assume they could go through Newark/JFK instead. I just looked at the Arrivals board. A couple of flights got Diverted. They got caught in the air when they closed airspace. A few others were flat out cancelled. It will have a chain effect around the country because routes have downstream effects, etc.

Also reading the tea leaves it looks like a "brownout". Meaning there are flights that are still inbound but not diverted. Meaning they might anticipate coverage by the time the flights get to airspace. My guess is this was a blip but things are operating at a *thin margin* at best.

Edit: Whoops too fast. EWR and PHL affected too according to the radio here.

This may be a semi-organized sick out.
Last edited by malchior on Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:50 pm
malchior wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:26 pm Whenever I hear him speak at length I'm always struck by how unhinged he actually is.
For me what really drives it home is reading a transcript of a Trump speech. It's like a real speech run back and forth through Google Translate a couple dozen times.
You might be on to something here. Someone write a speech. Use google to change it to Russian and make a few edits then translate it back. Rinse and repeat about 5 times and see if you get Trump.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The ripple effect has begun. Our local airport reporting delays, as all of their direct NY flights go to La Guardia.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:11 am I feel like we're finally approaching the endpoint, whatever that winds up being.
Air travel?
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

So looks like just a blip for now.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

So much winning today. This is insane.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:11 am
Jeff V wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:42 am
Zaxxon wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:10 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote:"Kroeger's?"
Common way to refer to it. See also Jewel's in Chicago, Meijer's.

I don't like it, but I've heard it a ton.
I saw a comedian once commenting on this. It was something I never thought about or noticed I was doing but did. I made a conscious effort not to, and I think I've been successful at it.
FWIW, "Meijer's" is actually based on fact. It used to be "Meijer's Thrifty Acres."
Was that when they were still confined to Michigan? I do not recall seeing that name ever in the Chicago area. If so, that wouldn't exactly qualify as a Chicagoism.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:02 pm - It'll most likely get blocked in the courts ("Please provide evidence that this is actually an emergency").
It's been a long time since I've looked at this stuff (as in, law school long time ago), but I don't think this is a slam dunk. The courts have traditionally been reluctant to wade into balance of powers fights between the legislative and executive branches. They like to find ways to avoid jurisdiction when possible. I also don't know whether the relevant law requires any demonstration of actual emergency to use the powers. Probably the best bet is a friendly judge who puts the brakes on things for a while, but the outcomes if it reaches the Supreme Court are probably not great (siding with the president or saying they can't intervene both being strong possibilities).
LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:31 pm
GreenGoo wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:14 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:07 pm Surely I must be missing something more here than a common misspelling by a stressed govt employee on furlough.
I've been presuming it's the unforgivable crime of a missing apostrophe in a 255 character or less message written mostly with thumbs that has set them off. Yours is good too though.
He's not a government employee. He's an actor/writer and funny guy. Which is why, if he's going to make up a story to make a point (or be funny) he should at least do a few seconds of research. 255 characters means your errors are magnified, not minimized. And it wasn't the apostrophe, it was the misspelling. Is Kroeger's his local bodega or does he mean that place where the proles shop? Is "Mr. Kroeger" real or more hyperbole/funny?
GreenGoo, get out of LawBeef's account!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

A big part of the wall farce is the eminent domain issue.

Youngstown Sheet & Tube Co. v. Sawyer
Youngstown Sheet & Tube Co. v. Sawyer, 343 U.S. 579 (1952), also commonly referred to as the Steel Seizure Case or the Youngstown Steel case, was a United States Supreme Court decision that limited the power of the President of the United States to seize private property in the absence of either specifically enumerated authority under Article Two of the United States Constitution or statutory authority conferred on him by Congress.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Sure, but that's why I limited my quote and response to the declaration of emergency and cut out the eminent domain piece. That would be a separate court fight.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

And there will be no shortage of court fights.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:47 am So looks like just a blip for now.

Well, if the FAA says everything is OK with the FAA, everything is OK with the FAA.

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:59 am
GreenGoo, get out of LawBeef's account!
:lol:

MYT
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

CNN saying full ground stop at La Guardia right now. Oof.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:46 pm CNN saying full ground stop at La Guardia right now. Oof.

There was but it was short - flights are inbound and landing right now at LaGuardia.

At this time there is on-going Traffic Metering at PHL,EWR, and LGA
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

malchior wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:49 pm At this time there is on-going Traffic Metering at PHL,EWR, and LGA
Thanks for this, will be good to keep an eye on for next week's travel.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

WaPo is reporting that at least 14,000 unpaid IRS employees asked to show up to work for free on processing tax returns did not report.

So much winning.
Hodor.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:54 pm
malchior wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:49 pm At this time there is on-going Traffic Metering at PHL,EWR, and LGA
Thanks for this, will be good to keep an eye on for next week's travel.
I travel a lot - this is one go to resource. The airlines are pretty sparse with actual information but you can usually get an edge if you go to the 'big picture' information sources aka weather/FAA status/etc.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
Republican senators clashed with one another and confronted Vice President Pence inside a private luncheon on Thursday, as anger hit a boiling point over the longest government shutdown in history.

“This is your fault,” Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.) told Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) at one point, according to two Republicans who attended the lunch and witnessed the exchange.

“Are you suggesting I’m enjoying this?” McConnell snapped back, according to the people who attended the lunch.

Johnson spokesman Ben Voelkel confirmed the confrontation. He said Johnson was expressing frustration with the day’s proceedings — votes on dueling plans to reopen the government, both of which failed to advance.
One of the Republicans, Sen. Mike Lee (Utah), also spoke out in the lunch. He explained that if Thursday’s votes were merely a party-line exercise, there should be more changes to the nation’s asylum laws, according to one of the people who attended the lunch. Lee also expressed concerns about getting assurances for votes on his amendments.
Senators also voiced their concerns about the shutdown directly with Pence, who was in attendance.

“Nobody was blaming the president,” said Sen. John Cornyn (R-Tex.), speaking about the lunch to reporters afterward. “But there was a lot of frustration expressed about the situation we find ourselves in.”

Also during the lunch, McConnell made clear to Pence and others in the room that the shutdown was not his idea and was not working. According to Republicans familiar with his comments, he quoted a favorite saying that he often uses to express his displeasure with government shutdowns: “There is no education in the second kick of a mule.”
malchior

Post by malchior »

If only they had a solution to this dilemma.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:11 pm
Also during the lunch, McConnell made clear to Pence and others in the room that the shutdown was not his idea and was not working. According to Republicans familiar with his comments, he quoted a favorite saying that he often uses to express his displeasure with government shutdowns: “There is no education in the second kick of a mule.”
And yet, at any time, he could have put up any of the House's clean funding bills for a vote to open the government. He'll wash his hands of the blame, but he won't go up against Trump. Ugh.
Hodor.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

"It's not my idea to refuse to hold a vote on something we all agreed to in December." What a disingenuous sack of shit he truly is and the best we can all do is to keep this snake in the spotlight and stop him from changing the narrative. You own this McConnell.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Senior administration officials expect @realDonaldTrump to endorse short-term funding bill to reopen government in next hour. Final details being worked out in WH convos now. Unclear if 2 or 3 weeks. Border debate will continue. Stress on Govt systems was increasing.
Looks like the FAA issues today may really have been the tipping point.
Hodor.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Funding for the custodial staff at Johnson Space Center ends today. Employees now being asked to volunteer to clean the bathrooms.

There's a joke somewhere in here about bathroom cleaning not being rocket science, but I'm too sad to make it. :(
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:52 pm Funding for the custodial staff at Johnson Space Center ends today. Employees now being asked to volunteer to clean the bathrooms.

There's a joke somewhere in here about bathroom cleaning not being rocket science, but I'm too sad to make it. :(
Nobody tell Lassr.
naednek

Post by naednek »

not that I want to inconvenience anyone, but I think all TSA should just walk out this week, especially before and on Superbowl Sunday and really put the pressure back on Trump. This is his doing, he said on camera he'll own it. Quit blaming the Democrats and quit holding your citizens hostage for a vanity project.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:56 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:52 pm Funding for the custodial staff at Johnson Space Center ends today. Employees now being asked to volunteer to clean the bathrooms.

Nobody tell Lassr.
The state of Marshall's custodial service is...undetermined.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Approve the wall funding but require a future vote on the building plan and forbid eminent domain. Idiot will take the deal and build nothing.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Enough

Post by Enough »

Per drudge we should be getting an announcement at right about now that the shutdown is over....
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Or watch Trump fold like a punk. That's good, too.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Zarathud wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:58 pm Approve the wall funding but require a future vote on the building plan and forbid eminent domain. Idiot will take the deal and build nothing.
The idea I like (from Brian Beutler at Cracked) is to include a provision authorizing building of a wall, contingent upon Mexico making a down payment and agreeing to pay for it.
Black Lives Matter.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

CNN has an alert on something about to happen as well. I'll be so pissed if the Dems caved, but I don't see any reason why they would have.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

WaPo says they have a tentative deal without wall funds
Congressional leaders and President Trump have reached a tentative deal to temporarily reopen the government and continue talks on Trump’s demand for border wall money, Capitol Hill officials said Friday.

With Trump’s approval, the pact would reopen shuttered government departments for the three weeks while leaving the issue of $5.7 billion for the U.S.-Mexico border wall to further talks.

The officials spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss private deliberations.
Would help get the Stone news out of the top of the headlines which may be all they are thinking about at this point.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Yay. Three whole weeks, and we'll be right back to where we started.
Hodor.