The Trump Impeachment Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

stessier

Re: The Trump Impeachment Thread

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:35 pm
Kraken wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:13 pm Smart move on the lawyers' part. trump can't be compelled to self-incriminate, and would surely perjure himself.
Can't they subpoena him? He could plead the Fifth, and might well do so, but that's not exactly a good look for him or the GOP politically.
Yep - can you imagine him sitting there saying "I plead the Fifth" over and over again? There's no way he would make it through an session without going off script. He's better off not showing up and being held in contempt.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

stessier wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:03 pm
Kraken wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:13 pm Smart move on the lawyers' part. trump can't be compelled to self-incriminate, and would surely perjure himself.
Can't they subpoena him? He could plead the Fifth, and might well do so, but that's not exactly a good look for him or the GOP politically.
Yep - can you imagine him sitting there saying "I plead the Fifth" over and over again? There's no way he would make it through an session without going off script. He's better off not showing up and being held in contempt.
It would take very little goading to start him ranting about the stolen election.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I want to hear more on the jewish space lasers. Are they kosher? Do these lasers have braids marking them as Hasidic? I need info here people.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

stessier wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:03 pm
He'd have to be wearing a muzzle AND a shock collar with handlers sitting just off-camera, but he could do it.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I wish that I had more confidence that the Democrats would subpoena him.

Though having said that, I can immediately see the downsides. What do they do if Trump refuses to show up, as he probably would? They could sue to compel, but that would take forever - the trial wouldn't happen until late 2021 or into 2022. They could hold him in contempt, but trying to jail him for refusal to appear probably isn't a great look for them - if Trump's going to go to prison, they'd want him to go for more substantive crimes.
Black Lives Matter.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Subpoenaing him would be the wrong move for all the reasons you point out. Just go forward and hammer on the point that he won't even show up to defend himself (something I would be horrified at for a typical criminal trial, but this is not that). It's pretty much all preordained at this point, so get it done quickly, get everyone voting on record, and move on.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

TLP wasted no time in getting a Florida Man chicken video out:
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Striking evidence:
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Trump needs to make it clear to Senate Republicans that he will not accept acquittal based on the argument that he's a former president and former presidents cannot be impeached because he won reelection, and therefore he is not a former president. :horse:
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

It's on. Let us pray!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

We already know the outcome, not much suspense.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jamie Raskin, Lead Impeachment Manager - I like the cut of his jib, and his arguments are impeccable.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:18 pmhis arguments are impeccable.
I haven't read it yet. Is it just a big red arrow pointing at a picture of Florida Man with the word "traitor" scribbled on it?
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:18 pm We already know the outcome, not much suspense.
FWIW I think the odds are marginally better this time. Last impeachment the odds of conviction were maybe 0.01%. Now it's probably 0.5%.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Paingod wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:21 pm
Jaymann wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:18 pmhis arguments are impeccable.
I haven't read it yet. Is it just a big red arrow pointing at a picture of Florida Man with the word "traitor" scribbled on it?
I was just referring to his opening remarks. And he went directly to video.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:21 pm
stessier wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:18 pm We already know the outcome, not much suspense.
FWIW I think the odds are marginally better this time. Last impeachment the odds of conviction were maybe 0.01%. Now it's probably 0.5%.
All I can think of is

Enlarge Image
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

While the final vote to convict is 99% assured, the list of those voting to acquit will go down in history. Campaigns against these creeps will all begin with: My opponent voted that insurrection is acceptable...
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:29 pm
All I can think of is

Enlarge Image
Yeah, I know. The main difference here is that Trump's not currently the president, that we're a couple years from the next election, that Trump plausibly cost McConnell his majority leadership, and that McConnell already has the most important thing that he wanted from Trump (a stacked conservative judiciary). McConnell's made a couple unhappy noises over the past couple months. IF McConnell decides that he'd rather be done with Trump definitively, this is his chance. And if McConnell decides to actually try to be rid of Trump, that changes the odds considerably.

Again, very very unlikely. BUT not completely zero like last time.
Black Lives Matter.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:18 pm Jamie Raskin, Lead Impeachment Manager - I like the cut of his jib, and his arguments are impeccable.
Both him and the guy after him have made great arguments. In reality it's a no brainer, and don't see how this has to be argued.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

In case anyone wants to see the video. Should have been played at the half-time show on Sunday.

Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

All I know is I'd never want to be a Trump lawyer.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

All I can think of is

Enlarge Image
Move D.C. to Mar-A-Lago?
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

If 25 Republican Senators forget to show up for the vote, 50 is two-thirds, right? :think:
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

The Meal wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:49 pm
All I can think of is

Enlarge Image
Move D.C. to Mar-A-Lago?
We really don't want to see how the sausage gets made.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:56 pm If 25 Republican Senators forget to show up for the vote, 50 is two-thirds, right? :think:
I'll TAKE IT!
It's almost as if people are the problem.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

All I can say is that if Trump is not convicted (which he won't be), I fully expect every Republican President from here on out to claim voter fraud and contest the results of his re-election should he lose. Every. Single. One. There's no putting the genie back in this bottle if they're going to let it slide.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I’m listening to Bruce Cantor’s argument and his folksy manner is kind of insulting considering the gravity of the charges.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:12 pm All I can say is that if Trump is not convicted (which he won't be), I fully expect every Republican President from here on out to claim voter fraud and contest the results of his re-election should he lose. Every. Single. One. There's no putting the genie back in this bottle if they're going to let it slide.
Even if he is convicted, voter suppression... I mean election security is vital to Republican success... as long as elections keep happening anyway.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:12 pm All I can say is that if Trump is not convicted (which he won't be), I fully expect every Republican President from here on out to claim voter fraud and contest the results of his re-election should he lose. Every. Single. One. There's no putting the genie back in this bottle if they're going to let it slide.
Trump has created the secret sauce on how to take over the country and I fully expect the R's to do it the first chance they have. It's really depressing, but I don't see how it goes any other way. We just got lucky that the margin was large enough this time that he couldn't accomplish what he wanted.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I would love to disagree with you but given the party won't reign in Graham, Cruz, or Greene among others and look the other way the Texas AG tries invalidate the votes of other states. I can't say you are over reacting. :(

It doesn't help that I was stupid enough to watch the video Smoove posted and the anger of January 6th is completely fresh in me now. Nearly a month of Biden and *poof* that sense of normalcy is gone.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

It galls me how Trump's lawyers keep holding up the Constitution as a defense against impeachment. This, to defend a President who shit on the Constitution every chance he got.

Also, why does this guy have to put his hand on his head every time he takes a drink of water?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:46 pm It doesn't help that I was stupid enough to watch the video Smoove posted and the anger of January 6th is completely fresh in me now. Nearly a month of Biden and *poof* that sense of normalcy is gone.
Same. EVERY American should watch that (joked above about it being shown at Superbowl halftime, but that is a great idea. Could some rich billionaire not buy an adspot that long? :D)

I wonder how many R-Senators that will vote no, no matter what, were looking at their phones while that was playing. They should be MADE to watch that shit somehow.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:30 pm It galls me how Trump's lawyers keep holding up the Constitution as a defense against impeachment. This, to defend a President who shit on the Constitution every chance he got.

Also, why does this guy have to put his hand on his head every time he takes a drink of water?
The argument that gets me is what a terrible PRECEDENT this will set if we convict an ex-president. Know what else is a terrible precedent? Riling up a repressed mob of cult members calling themselves patriots, then sending them like flying monkeys from Oz, to storm the Capitol building looking for blood, and evidence of a stolen election that doesn't exist. AND THEN acting like nothing happened - no repercussions, nobody held responsible.

Which precedent is worse?
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holman

Post by Holman »

The Dems' arguments were so clear and compelling.

The GOP's were just embarrassingly bad.

The tragedy is that this difference won't matter to "the world's greatest deliberative body."
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Holman wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:41 pm The tragedy is that this difference won't matter to "the world's greatest deliberative body."
I think it's safe to retire that silly phrase now.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

How about: The World's Greatest Debilitated Body.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:30 pm Also, why does this guy have to put his hand on his head every time he takes a drink of water?
Twitter explained it; the guy is an Orthodox Jew and is used to wearing a kippah (yarmulke), so it's just a force of habit from years of holding it in place when tilting your head.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:42 pm
Holman wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:41 pm The tragedy is that this difference won't matter to "the world's greatest deliberative body."
I think it's safe to retire that silly phrase now.
Yeah. It is incredibly silly. They barely have simple conversations in good times.
Holman wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:41 pm The Dems' arguments were so clear and compelling.

The GOP's were just embarrassingly bad.

The tragedy is that this difference won't matter to "the world's greatest deliberative body."
The current argument - 'the textualist' approach is pretty much a dog whistle for Federalists. That it leads to absurd results is fine as long as they have any thin excuse.
Last edited by malchior on Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

gilraen wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:46 pm
YellowKing wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:30 pm Also, why does this guy have to put his hand on his head every time he takes a drink of water?
Twitter explained it; the guy is an Orthodox Jew and is used to wearing a kippah (yarmulke), so it's just a force of habit from years of holding it in place when tilting your head.
He is shielding against the space lasers.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter