THANK YOU! 2024 Fundraising Completed - $2095 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

stessier

Re: Random randomness

Post by stessier »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:04 pm Better today. Not as swollen. Plan to take the antibiotic until Wednesday....unless it just makes me badly sick.
I'm assuming you know this is a really bad idea. Are you just posting to leave a record for the police in the case it kills you or are you hoping we tell you to go the doctor to get it treated properly?

Random use of antibiotics leads to the creation of superbugs which is bad for all of us. Don't do it.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If your name is actually David Berkowitz, please understand that I will slip up and call you Sam at some point.
Now depoliticized.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

The Avengers movie thread past 2 days

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
You are correct, that was a funny part
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

stessier wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:39 pm
Daehawk wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:04 pm Better today. Not as swollen. Plan to take the antibiotic until Wednesday....unless it just makes me badly sick.
I'm assuming you know this is a really bad idea. Are you just posting to leave a record for the police in the case it kills you or are you hoping we tell you to go the doctor to get it treated properly?

Random use of antibiotics leads to the creation of superbugs which is bad for all of us. Don't do it.
Wednesday is 5 days. And its Penicillin so its the same stuff they've given me before. We're all doomed anyways.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Expired penicillin doesn't go toxic, so it's doubtful that it would make you sick, but it's likely not as effective anymore.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Jaymon wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:15 pm The Avengers movie thread past 2 days

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
You are correct, that was a funny part
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
At some point after a movie is released the thread should become a spoiler zone. I know I don't read movie threads until I've seen the movie just in case someone slips up but after the movie is out what purpose does the movie thread serve other than as a place to discuss the movie?
Last edited by Exodor on Tue May 01, 2018 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I know I don't read movie threads until I've seen the movie
This unless I don't care about spoiling. Not every movie has to be a journey to discovery.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:24 pm
stessier wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:39 pm

Wednesday is 5 days. And its Penicillin so its the same stuff they've given me before. We're all doomed anyways.
Is what you have treatable by antibiotics? Is Penicillin the right one? If 5 days the appropriate length for treatment at the dosage you have? It's stupid, thoughtless, and reckless.

Still, I hope you find a way to feel better.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

yes yes and 5 days is my limit before Im shitting on the ceiling and puking on the floor.

I take antibiotics 2 times a year average and sometimes 3. Just depends on how bad my gum/mouth/ teeth get. I can afford a $15 doctor visit but cannot afford $10000 surgery so figured Id answer that one before you bother.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

You know that beginning intro part to the movie Wargames where the two guys in the missile silo get the launch code but one doesn't want to launch and the other pulls his gun on him and tells him to turn his launch key? I STILL dont know what happened there.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It was a blind test of the human’s ability to actually launch the missiles. That failure led them to replace the people with the computer.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

So I get a call from the VA. My blood sugar is too high and they want me to count carbs.
I told them I was 68 years old and would rather not and live to be 75 than count carbs and live to be 80.
Oh, they said. Well, if you change your mind let us know.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 2:03 pm So I get a call from the VA. My blood sugar is too high and they want me to count carbs.
I told them I was 68 years old and would rather not and live to be 75 than count carbs and live to be 80.
It was a blind test of your ability to actually launch a low carb diet. Your failure will lead you to being replaced by a computer.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:clap:
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 2:03 pm So I get a call from the VA. My blood sugar is too high and they want me to count carbs.
I have my biennial check-in with my primary care doc tomorrow morning at the ungodly hour of 9:30, wherein he will berate my self-destructive lifestyle, encourage me to keep walking, and threaten once again to make me take a statin if I don't stop eating food that tastes good. I put up with this because Wife thinks I'm "taking care of my health," which matters to her for some reason. I suspect that he just likes to stick his finger up my ass twice a year.

I suppose I ought to be flattered that somebody thinks I should keep getting older and older, but I'm already 61 and I outlived my usefulness long ago. I'm still in this mostly to see how my TV shows end.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

wonderpug wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 2:10 pm
It was a blind test of your ability to actually launch a low carb diet. Your failure will lead you to being replaced by a computer.
Can I report this post as too funny?
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Kraken wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 4:21 pm
I have my biennial check-in with my primary care doc tomorrow morning at the ungodly hour of 9:30, wherein he will berate my self-destructive lifestyle, encourage me to keep walking, and threaten once again to make me take a statin if I don't stop eating food that tastes good. I put up with this because Wife thinks I'm "taking care of my health," which matters to her for some reason. I suspect that he just likes to stick his finger up my ass twice a year.

I suppose I ought to be flattered that somebody thinks I should keep getting older and older, but I'm already 61 and I outlived my usefulness long ago. I'm still in this mostly to see how my TV shows end.
I have to ask.. Does your Avatar represent the procedure?
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Rip

Post by Rip »

You say he is the one who enjoys it, yet you keep going back.......
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I'm consistently amazed at the documentation people will leave just sitting on the printer at work. I'm always the first one here in the morning, and put whatever is left on the printer from the previous day into a generic file drawer next to the printer. I don't ever read anything in detail, but at least get a glance at what it is as I move it over.

In the past week, I've seen:
- Legal paperwork for what looked to be a restraining order
- Multiple collection notices
- Divorce papers
- Tax returns
- Credit card dispute forms
- Concert tickets (with bar codes)
- Some sort of nasty note with "FIRST OFF...FUCK YOU" in big bold letters across the top
- Travel itineraries

Maybe it's just me, but if I'm printing something overly personal, I'm standing at the damn machine to pick it up right when it prints off. Not letting it sit there for just anyone to grab.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Rip wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 9:52 pm

For the money you pay he better damn well stick his fingers up there. Or on the other hand you could pay a hooker much less for the same thing. Though her diagnosis may be a lot more off.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Daehawk wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 9:56 am
Rip wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 9:52 pm

For the money you pay he better damn well stick his fingers up there. Or on the other hand you could pay a hooker much less for the same thing. Though her diagnosis may be a lot more off.
There's no copay for wellness visits (thanks, Obama!) and I don't have hooker insurance.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Well, the online VA thing I'm using to report my BP and blood sugar has decided I need to change my password every 90 days.
I guess they're afraid someone will hack in and show me healthy.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Cool piece on The Ringer about the band Living Colour and the 30th anniversary of their debut album Vivid and signature anthem "Cult of Personality". Worth the long read if you're a fan of the band. (Also, Vernon Reid is a really good follow on Twitter - @vurnt22 )
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 1:29 pm Cool piece on The Ringer about the band Living Colour and the 30th anniversary of their debut album Vivid and signature anthem "Cult of Personality". Worth the long read if you're a fan of the band. (Also, Vernon Reid is a really good follow on Twitter - @vurnt22 )
Great read, thanks! Makes me think of a funny memory.

It was 1988, I just turned 14 years old, and Metallica's "...And Justice For All" came out two days after my birthday. I saved up all my pennies to get a copy, and we proceeded to literally wear out the cassette because we basically played it non-stop for months. Honestly, I guarantee I haven't listened to a single album nearly that much before or since.

My very religious mom - who utterly abhorred all things heavy metal - told me that she would take me to the record store and buy me a new tape of my choice, on the one condition that it must be something other than heavy metal.

I had been wanting Vivid ever since I heard "Cult of Personality" on the radio, and thought I could slip a fast one past mom. I absolutely promised her that this new band, Living Colour, wasn't heavy metal at all. I mean, it wasn't a bunch of grungy looking stoners, this band were black guys wearing neon spandex. How heavy could they really be? After some initial skepticism, she agreed and went with me to the record store to buy Vivid. My cunning plan was to record the tape onto a blank cassette once we got home, then trash the original and tell her the tape player ate it. That way I'd still have the album, but she wouldn't know.

What I didn't count on was mom immediately unwrapping the cassette and popping it in the car's player the moment we left the record store. When the first riff of "Cult of Personality" hit, I knew I was in serious trouble. About the time Vernon hits that first insane guitar solo, mom's mouth had tightened to a thin line. She flipped a U-turn right in the middle of a busy street (literally the only time I've ever seen her do anything illegal on the road), drove right back to the record store, and demanded that the manager refund her money. He ended up actually doing it, mostly because I think he was scared of what she'd do if he didn't.

When we got home, mom marched me to my room, grabbed my Magnavox boom box and every single one of my cassette tapes (even the ones I had spent hours waiting for a specific Ozzy or Motley Crue song to come on the radio so I could record it) and simply threw them into the garbage without a single word. After they were tossed, she said that I was now responsible for buying my own music, and that she refused to pay for such "awful noise". I had to rebuild my music collection from scratch.

From that day until now, Mom has never bought me a single tape, record, CD, or any form of digital music. She even told my dad that she refuses to give me iTunes cards as gifts because she hates what I'd spend it on.

Ah, the trials and tribulations of a young metalhead... :violin:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I saw Living Colour play a show at my college in 1994 (I think) and it was hands down the loudest concert I've ever been to. I was right in front of the stage and about two people back from the front - absolutely insane to see them live. I have no doubt they're part of the reason I have hearing loss, but it was worth every minute. Thanks for sharing that article - I'm going to go and dig out my Vivid cassette!

I know I've shared it before, but I remember seeing this when it aired and I was (and am still) blown away - Living Colour on The Arsenio Hall Show. Quality stinks, but it still gives me the chills. And the audience reaction kills me every time.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I've seen Living Colour four or five times, I'd guess. Probably my favorite was seeing them play at the Metro in Chicago, which was entirely too small of a venue for them. We got there relatively early and were able to wind around so that we got right up front next to where we knew Vernon would be playing (the opening act was Candlebox, and my friend rested his Zippo on the monitor in front of us, which the bassist used to light his cigarette). Corey roaming the audience in that Arsenio clip is like a restrained version of what he did that night. He climbed the lighting scaffolding on the side of the stage to reach the balcony, walked to the other side of the balcony, and then climbed down the other side - dropping the last few feet right onto one of my friends. Later, the band kept throwing Vernon into the audience, and we'd surf him back up to the stage. Good times.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

My Mom got on a religious kick right around the time I started listening to cool music. I didn't live there much longer but before I left she:

Scraped a kick-ass Iron Maiden Live After Death window sticker off my car. MY car, I was making the payments! I wasn't too mad, I was pretty over Maiden by then...

Threw away my imported bootleg Metallica Kill 'em All t-shirt. Actually, she took it to church before she threw it away. Show 'em how evil I was...

Final straw, she threw away a zine I bought from a disturbingly precocious pre-teen boy at a GG Allin show. That shit was rare. Well, shit at a GG show wasn't rare, the zine was.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

As long as I lived with my parents I lived by their rules.
As soon as I got out it was so long parents! Once every month or two I send them a letter but that was about it until my dad died when I was 37. I never called.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The first LP I ever bought was Black Sabbath's Master of Reality, largely to scare my parents. The second LP I bought was Simon & Garfunkle's Greatest Hits. My parents didn't know what to make of me.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Kraken wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 6:53 pm The first LP I ever bought was Black Sabbath's Master of Reality, largely to scare my parents. The second LP I bought was Simon & Garfunkle's Greatest Hits. My parents didn't know what to make of me.
Scared straight.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

An interesting aside to that story. The first album (an actual record) I ever received as a gift from a friend was Motley Crue’s “Shout at the Devil”. The original album artwork had an all black cover with a glossy pentagram embossed on the front. You could only see the pentagram if you turned it a certain way for the gloss to catch the light. I can only assume mom missed that artwork, and thought the title referred to shouting down the devil in righteousness. Needless to say, I kept the inside cover images (Crue all dressed up in their best 80’s hard band/S&M silliness) very well hidden.

And the first cassette I ever bought with my own money was Van Halen’s “1984”. Mom made me return it because of the smoking baby on the cover. Lol
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

ImLawBoy wrote:Cool piece on The Ringer about the band Living Colour and the 30th anniversary of their debut album Vivid and signature anthem "Cult of Personality". Worth the long read if you're a fan of the band. (Also, Vernon Reid is a really good follow on Twitter - @vurnt22 )
Oh shit thanks man. 13 year old me is head banging. My neck hurts now but it was worth it!
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

When I first started listening to music Walkman was still a thing, and I have to buy music on cassettes. :) First album ever? I was pretty sure it was Footloose.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I was born in 69 so got to live through a lot of great music! Some of the first cassettes I bought were Billy Squire, AC/DC, Ozzy Osbourne, Poison. Some of the first CDs were Metallica, AC/DC, Enya, Ozzy Osbourne. Kinda a trend there.

Ok totally UN music related.

Was watching an OLD 1995 ep of Computer Chronicles about Win95 and at the end they had tech news . Some random stuff...

The Intel P6 was coming out..the Pentium Pro. It had 5.5 million transistors. A i7 from 2012 has about 3 billion.

14,000 domain names were being registered a month! Im sure not all were used but thats still an amazing growth spurt during the early internet days.

It also showed a website to view Bill Gates' home being built. 40,000 square feet and $50,000,000 for it. Ouch. Cant imagine what that is worth today. I wouldn't want a home Id have to drive to get to the other side in.

In 1995 online ad revenue was said to be $55 million. They expected it to be $4 billion by the year 2000. It actually was $8 billion in 2000. By 2016 it was $72 billion.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daehawk wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 1:41 am It also showed a website to view Bill Gates' home being built. 40,000 square feet and $50,000,000 for it. Ouch. Cant imagine what that is worth today. I wouldn't want a home Id have to drive to get to the other side in.
BI, 2015
It took Gates seven years and $63 million to build his Medina, Washington, estate, named "Xanadu 2.0" after the fictional home of Charles Foster Kane, the title character of "Citizen Kane."
According to the King County public assessor's office, the property is worth $123.54 million as of this year. Gates purchased the lot for $2 million in 1988.

He reportedly pays around $1 million in property taxes each year.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Good God.

He could pay that property tax for 80,000 years or more right now.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

SSDs are beautiful curse. I'm so used to working on three things as once, often because installs take so damned long. I've been building physical workstations almost exclusively with SSDs for the last 18 months and I still haven't re-aligned myself the installations taking 5 seconds that used to take 3 minutes. My multitask processing abilities are totally busted.
Rip

Post by Rip »

"If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

SPAMbot reported..
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us