THANK YOU! 2024 Fundraising Completed - $2095 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Holman

Re: Random randomness

Post by Holman »

Kraken wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:18 pm One thing seems clear to me: Putting $6k into a 15-year-old car is not wise.

We coulda-shoulda just gone down to one car when I got rid of my first Miata. Neither of us drives to work, and both of our cars just sit idle 95% of the time. It would have been the wise decision. But...reasons.
I'm starting to think the smart thing might be to trade in *both* cars and get a moderately-priced SUV that would fit all six of us.

Do dealers let you trade in two cars at once?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Holman wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:23 pm
Kraken wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:18 pm One thing seems clear to me: Putting $6k into a 15-year-old car is not wise.

We coulda-shoulda just gone down to one car when I got rid of my first Miata. Neither of us drives to work, and both of our cars just sit idle 95% of the time. It would have been the wise decision. But...reasons.
I'm starting to think the smart thing might be to trade in *both* cars and get a moderately-priced SUV that would fit all six of us.

Now there's a question that's never come up before. I would think so; they really really like to sell new cars.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

The answer has to be yes. It's not actually a 1 for 1 trade. It's a item of value plus cash/financing. There is no logical reason that 2 items of value + cash/financing wouldn't be acceptable.

But I don't know.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

TheMix wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:19 pm I don't even think I'd eat chocolate daily... Fried chicken? That's some serious love there.
As much as I love me some Popeyes, I could never eat it every day.
Hodor.
funnygirl

Post by funnygirl »

Kraken wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:27 pm
Holman wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:23 pm

Now there's a question that's never come up before. I would think so; they really really like to sell new cars.
Yes. After my husband passed away I traded his car and mine with no problem at all. That was 18 years ago, but I doubt that has changed. I looked at several dealerships and they all said I could trade both cars.
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Not sure how Kraken is going to feel about that quote. Surprised? :lol:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

TheMix wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:16 pm Not sure how Kraken is going to feel about that quote. Surprised? :lol:
LOL!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Drove to the big shopping center near my house for lunch today and noticed a store marquee that simply said "Warhammer". Yep, it's an actual Warhammer/Games Workshop retail store. Miniatures, games, cards, all sorts of cool geeky stuff.

Can't wait until they open!
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:10 pm Drove to the big shopping center near my house for lunch today and noticed a store marquee that simply said "Warhammer". Yep, it's an actual Warhammer/Games Workshop retail store. Miniatures, games, cards, all sorts of cool geeky stuff.

That's great news!

About a decade ago I taught with a woman whose husband was regional manager for Games Workshop stores in Philadelphia. They downsized (2009 and all that), and his position was eliminated.

I assume the D&D renaissance is now boosting other game sales as well. I've seen a couple of new game shops (indies, not GW-empire) opening just recently around the city.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This is the store in our local mall. I've been in a few times in 10 years. I guess its been there a lot longer.

https://www.dicehead.com/
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

TheMix wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:16 pm Not sure how Kraken is going to feel about that quote. Surprised? :lol:
I often don't remember saying things. A deceased husband is the kind of thing I would probably remember, though, so I'm confused why I said that.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm afraid to go into my local Games Workshop store.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Holman wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:19 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:10 pm Drove to the big shopping center near my house for lunch today and noticed a store marquee that simply said "Warhammer". Yep, it's an actual Warhammer/Games Workshop retail store. Miniatures, games, cards, all sorts of cool geeky stuff.

That's great news!

About a decade ago I taught with a woman whose husband was regional manager for Games Workshop stores in Philadelphia. They downsized (2009 and all that), and his position was eliminated.

I assume the D&D renaissance is now boosting other game sales as well. I've seen a couple of new game shops (indies, not GW-empire) opening just recently around the city.
I was mostly just surprised as rent in this particular shopping center is astronomical. Not really sure I see a niche game retail store being able to stay viable for long, but I certainly hope they succeed.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Not to mention Warhammer having just had several big video games come out.

And Warhammer has long been able to pull out high-price locations. Their games are extremely pricey and are popular with the rich gamer folk. A few Warhammer 'whales' can support a GW store.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Holman wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:19 pm I assume the D&D renaissance is now boosting other game sales as well. I've seen a couple of new game shops (indies, not GW-empire) opening just recently around the city.
The tabletop gaming renaissance is in full swing around here. Six years ago, the Compleat Strategist (a charming old warhorse) was pretty much the only shop in New York City. Now there are quite a few -- a mix of straight-up retail stores, board game cafes, and after-school programs. My better half works at this one.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo: The explorer who literally put Australia on the map is found buried beneath a London train station
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

whoops ran out of free WaPo articles for the month
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

same
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Right click | Open in incognito mode.

Post by Default »

That's great news!

I looked at my son's ruleset 3.5.

<head esplodes>
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Holman

Post by Holman »

Default wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:32 pm

That's great news!

<head esplodes>
1st, 5th, or nothing!!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I liked 2nd edition, but 1st is where my heart lies. I have some affection for the basic/expert rule sets as well.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

As someone that has been tasked with running an old-school session, I was quite surprised to learn I was probably playing AD&D 1.5 as a teenager. In reviewing my old books things I thought I remembered just weren't there. My conclusion was that I had slapped stuff from Dragon magazine into my tool box and more or less played this modified version. In addition, my mind has also apparently started to blend AD&D and AD&D 2nd edition rules together a bit. I thought I knew the original AD&D rules the best, but it would seem everything I remember is 2ED. Getting old is weird.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

When I was a kid D & D was real life.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949

Post by Default »

Holman wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:47 pm
Default wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:32 pm

That's great news!

<head esplodes>
1st, 5th, or nothing!!
5th? Is that the one where you can play as an Ewok?
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

When reading OO I find myself paying a lot more attention lately to who made the post whereas in the past I would just read the content and continue reading down the thread.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Moat_Man wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:26 pm When reading OO I find myself paying a lot more attention lately to who made the post whereas in the past I would just read the content and continue reading down the thread.
I'm at the point that I can identify a number of posters based on the post itself, either from content or style. It's fun reading something and then guessing who wrote it then checking to see if I'm right or not. It works better on my phone because the author is not always visible while I read the post.

It's a game. :D
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Epiphany... yoga foam roller is extra thick pool noodle
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:55 pm Epiphany... yoga foam roller is extra thick pool noodle
Uhhh.
Hodor.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Was waiting in line at Marshalls when they had some of those foam rollers on display. The relatively low-density stuff really does look like extra thick pool noodles. ;)

Enlarge Image
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I was walking by their clearance table, when I was like... WTF is this?

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

It's not a boombox... Not that thin... and what's with 29 eye shadows?!?! Apparently, it's just an eyeshadow kit. Which genius came up with this product way back when, and how is it still here?

EDIT: Apparently, the guy has other kits packaged as mixtape and CD mix.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My sister recommended me a tire shop for a leak fix. I stopped by and they said they fix leaks free. Sweet. But today being Saturday there was an hour and a half wait. I passed. Said a good time to come in the week is either early or noon. So shall go back in a couple weeks see if they can patch it for now. The tires I need they can do $128 out the door..so $256 same as the original place me and Donna got the fronts last April. Ill go back there most likely when I can see if I can some one day.

EDIT: Place was Discount Tires btw.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:43 pm Was waiting in line at Marshalls when they had some of those foam rollers on display. The relatively low-density stuff really does look like extra thick pool noodles. ;)

Enlarge Image
That doesn't look like any foam roller I've ever used.
Hodor.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

pr0ner wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:27 am
Kasey Chang wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:43 pm Was waiting in line at Marshalls when they had some of those foam rollers on display. The relatively low-density stuff really does look like extra thick pool noodles. ;)

Enlarge Image
That doesn't look like any foam roller I've ever used.
Which is why it's at marshall's, I guess. :) (Amazon sell them for $13)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My back was out 2 weeks before Donna's stroke. I couldn't walk upright. Then it improved some in hospital with her. But about 5 days ago it went right back out. Its killing me. Im taking multiple muscle relaxers. I cold turkeyed all pain medication Dec 29 when Donna went in. When Donna died I simply didn't care and I will not go back on opiates. I am in extreme pain now though and cannot function. Ive got to get to the lawyer tomorrow somehow. My sister will pick me up she said.

And my kidney is killing me too. Its worse than my back at times.

This worries me SO much because with the income Im looking at being forced into a part time job. How do I get, go, do, and keep a part time job when I cant walk and am in extreme pain. Its not a joke or over hyping it...the pain from my back and side is terrible. Sitting, laying down...walking...ugh. Im so worried about all this.

EDIT: I take some of my post back. My back is totally out. I tried to stand up and cannot straighten up and its painful. So Im all bent over hobbling today. No telling when it will be better. Shit.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

People have posted links to work-at-home jobs at least a couple of times now. These are not the "get rich stuffing envelopes" scams of yore (although those are still around, you can spot them with minimal research). Typically they don't pay much, but you can make your own hours and do as much or as little as you want. That's more realistic for you than being a whopper flopper.

Someone on this forum was doing the mystery shopper thing a few years ago. Anybody remember who that was?
Brian

Post by Brian »

I believe that was TGB. Who, btw, has not posted since Aug of last year.

Anybody know if he's still around?
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I was under the impression he was trying not to spend time posting here as much anymore (for some reason). I'm not friends with him on STEAM either so I'm not even sure if he's just heads-down gaming and enjoying life. Hope all is well.
Maybe next year, maybe no go