2024 Fundraising - $1102 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

NFL 2022 Season

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

Re: NFL 2022 Season

Post by Jeff V »

For a good part of the season, the Thursday could be comprised of teams coming off their bye week. It won't cover the entire season, but teams would have a long time to prepare, and then have a long time to recover.
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

The way that they usually try to structure things is that the SNF game is usually a great matchup (sometimes that just means two big market teams that will pump the ratings regardless of the quality of the teams). The national game in the 4 pm slot is usually the next best matchup, followed by MNF.

TNF was a way to get more money, and to put more teams in prime time. They try to get every team on prime time at least once. For those trash teams that are only getting one, it’s going to TNF.

So I used to have watch a “prime time” game for the Bills, against the Jets on TNF. It was gross.

But when I’ve seen good teams on Thursday, the game delivers. They just usually don’t schedule good teams for TNF.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Aside from ill-advised match-ups, there's no reason the games couldn't be good provided both teams have the same amount of prep time. They are professionals, after all (except maybe Detroit), and short week fatigue should cancel out. Teams in better condition, however, could have an advantage, as well as teams who can reliably move the ball one stinking yard...
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The schedule isn't looking promising, either.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:36 pm The schedule isn't looking promising, either.
Four or five of those are actually good matchups.
Make up bags of change
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

There are a lot of ways to call a game a 'good game' or a 'bad game'. I don't think that Amazon is in any position to demand their money back, and more seriously - I don't think Amazon is mad at the executives that have been working the TNF deal. I don't think they regret the buy.

Personally, I can nearly guarantee that I will likely be watching every Thursday night game. It's the only game in town, and it breaks up the 5 days of no football.

Football is football, and I've seen plenty of games that were expected to be great become total yawners - and visa-versa Sometimes games are weak and sometimes they are incredible. Sometimes they are a pathetic scoreless mess, sometimes they are a ridiculous blowout. Sometimes a 'bad game' has the most amazing catch, or some great-back-n-forth games are otherwise fairly unremarkable. Sometimes the refs seem to ruin the game. Sometimes it's just about watching a QB you hate get repeatedly sacked.

None of these speaks at all to the preparedness (or lack there of) for a Thursday night game.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Dear Shanahan. You aren't going to win on the road missing almost 70%of your starters on defense if you only run the ball 16 times.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Pyperkub wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:58 pm Dear Shanahan. You aren't going to win on the road missing almost 70%of your starters on defense if you only run the ball 16 times.
and take 8 minutes to march down the field when you are behind by 14 only to turn it over after failing to convert on 4th and 1.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Pyperkub wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:58 pm Dear Shanahan. You aren't going to win on the road missing almost 70%of your starters on defense if you only run the ball 16 times.
So true. So true. And specifically that’s the kind of thinking that makes a coach a coach.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

E-A-G-L-E-S-EAGLES!

At 6-0, this is the best start to an Eagles season they've had in quite a while. Even better, we went to 6-0 by beating Dallas tonight on SNF.

It's always been the case that if the Eagles win just one game in a season, and that game is against the Cowboys, the season isn't a total loss. The fact that the Eagles have done that now and also possess the best record in the NFL (for now) means this has been a really, really enjoyable season for me thus far. :D
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The only team in the NFC East for which I will root.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Anyone want to take a stab at who could be next HC for Carolina? Who’s out there/available/hot seat?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Sean Peyton

Eric Bieniemy
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

RunningMn9 wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:10 am
Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:36 pm The schedule isn't looking promising, either.
Four or five of those are actually good matchups.
Your definition of "good" matchup is a stretch.
Hodor.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Week 8
Week 11
Week 13
Week 14
Week 16
Week 17

That week 16 game would seem like a dud back in May, but I will bet that is going to be a good game.
Make up bags of change
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

RunningMn9 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:23 pm Week 8 - Ravens (3-3) vs. Buccaneers (3-3)
Week 11 - Titans (3-2) vs. Packers (3-3)
Week 13 - Bills (5-1) vs. Patriots (3-3)
Week 14 - Raiders (1-4) vs. Rams (3-3)
Week 16 - Jaguars (2-4) vs. Jets (4-2)
Week 17 - Cowboys (4-2) vs. Titans (3-2)
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

RunningMn9 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:23 pm Week 8
Week 11
Week 13
Week 14
Week 16
Week 17

That week 16 game would seem like a dud back in May, but I will bet that is going to be a good game.
Week 8? Maybe, but Tom Brady on short rest? Eh.

Week 11? No. Have you watched Tennessee or Green Bay this year? Good lord.

Week 13? Definitely.

Week 14? No. Maybe it's interesting for the Adams vs Kupp matchup (assuming Adams isn't suspended by then), but neither of those teams this year are appealing.

Week 16? You're right about this one.

Week 17? No, because of Tennessee.
Hodor.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I don’t know what you’re looking for in football games I guess. Those are all good matchups. We will have to agree to disagree I guess.
Make up bags of change
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

And as far as viewership / ad revenue goes - it’s not always just the ‘great matchups’ that will generate views.

For example, I think the week 9 Eagles @ Texans will be fun to watch.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

RunningMn9 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:12 pm I don’t know what you’re looking for in football games I guess. Those are all good matchups. We will have to agree to disagree I guess.
What are you looking for out of a football game that the Titans vs Packers in 2022 is a "good matchup"?
Hodor.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:55 pm
RunningMn9 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:12 pm I don’t know what you’re looking for in football games I guess. Those are all good matchups. We will have to agree to disagree I guess.
What are you looking for out of a football game that the Titans vs Packers in 2022 is a "good matchup"?

I'm interested to hear the answer, but if you don't mind - can I ask you to describe why you think it will be a horrible game to watch bad match-up?

Do you think it will be a yawner with no score, do you think it will be an absolute blow-out? Do both teams just lack any talent and just are not fun to watch?
(I'm seriously asking, in the event that this sounds sarcastic or something that I'm ignorant of.)

Personally, I'd watch this game to see if Rodgers can or can't keep his team relevant, and I image these two teams are more-or-less of the same quality.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Good match up = Any time Chargers win.

Bad match up = Any of these teams win:

Cowboys
Packers
Raiders
Broncos
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Because I think the Titans have quietly turned things back the way they want, winning three in a row. And I think the Packers are underachieving (especially on defense), and they will stop doing that at some point (probably in BUF to harm me).
Make up bags of change
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

And from a scheduling standpoint, they scheduled the #1 seed from the AFC last year against the #1 seed from the NFC last year. From a scheduling standpoint, what more were they supposed to do for you here?
Make up bags of change
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:10 pm Good match up = Any time Chargers win.

Cowboys
Packers
Raiders
Broncos
Big night for you. :D
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

So, this should be a good game tonight, right? The predictive powers of the NFL's scheduling team would say this should be a great one, no?
RunningMn9

NFL 2022 Season

Post by RunningMn9 »

It’s not predictive powers. And a “good matchup” doesn’t always translate to a “good” or “great” game. But yes, a Monday night matchup between division rivals that were expected to challenge for the division or playoffs - that was definitely a good scheduling matchup.
Make up bags of change
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I won't argue against that (although the word 'expected' speaks to a predictive element). I guess I just feel that almost all the games have value, and a game that's the only one on TV that night has an automatic appeal.

And some that don't seem like they would be fun to watch, or those that don't seem like good match-ups - both can sometimes turn out to be...

I'd be curious to hear what gave us the TNF Bears game vs the Commanders - and then gave us a MNF Bears game vs the Patriots. I can't follow the ball.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Totally off topic (sorta) and just a random thought I had that I'm curious about what others think.

Could a dynamic programming, simulated annealing, and 2-opt methods program come up with an NFL schedule where there was 1 (or more) game played every night of the week - but each team that was in that game had the same amount of downtime between games (give or take a day, let's say)?

I guess I just wonder if it's ever been considered a thing to even strive for or not.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Unagi wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:06 pm
pr0ner wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:55 pm

I'm interested to hear the answer, but if you don't mind - can I ask you to describe why you think it will be a horrible game to watch bad match-up?

Do you think it will be a yawner with no score, do you think it will be an absolute blow-out? Do both teams just lack any talent and just are not fun to watch?
(I'm seriously asking, in the event that this sounds sarcastic or something that I'm ignorant of.)

Personally, I'd watch this game to see if Rodgers can or can't keep his team relevant, and I image these two teams are more-or-less of the same quality.
Neither team is what anyone would call good. They both have negative point differentials. The Titans should have lost to the Commanders last week, they rely way too much on Derrick Henry, and the Commanders are a dumpster fire. Aaron Rodgers is generally pedestrian this year without Davante Adams and looked absolutely shell shocked against the Jets (and it wasn't the first time this year). I fully expect it to be a boring, low scoring football game that holds absolutely zero interest to me as a casual fan.
Hodor.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I'm probably even a more casual fan - and the reason I will really want to watch that game is that I'm an NFC North fan of the non-Greenbay variety, and it sounds like a good chance to watch Rodgers lose a game... The match-up aspect seems what we may both describe as 'about even'... but as you say - you believe it will not be a riveting battle, but a bore.

As I said, I'm too casual a fan to really make a strong argument against your read of the match-up (you are likely right), but I think Greenbay will draw enough football eyes to make TNF on that night a net positive for the broadcasters.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I cannot imagine the NFL has tried to look at games every day. I don’t disagree with anything else Unagi said I don’t think.

The schedule is set in May. There are a lot of factors that go into it, including site availability and what not. A big part of the equation is ratings. Some matchups are purely because they are two big-market teams that will draw lots of eyes even if the teams are trash.
Make up bags of change
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

This MNF game isn't any prize pigskin, either.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:10 pm Good match up = Any time Chargers win.

Cowboys
Packers
Raiders
Broncos
Congrats !
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

What a gutty performance by a kicker with a bum leg!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Should see a lot more Hopkins jerseys around SD in the near future.

Wiki says he signed a 3-year contract before this season.
Last edited by Isgrimnur on Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:40 pm Should see a lot more Hopkins jerseys around SD in the near future.

SD? They hate the Chargers now.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Wow, Denver had 150 yards in penalties tonight.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:48 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:40 pm Should see a lot more Hopkins jerseys around SD in the near future.

*LA

I can't keep up with these California teams changing cities like some folks trade in cars.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:19 am
Jaymann wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:48 pm

*LA

I can't keep up with these California teams changing cities like some folks trade in cars.
Hey, we're still San Francisco :P
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"