2024 Fundraising - $1192 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

GTR vs rFactor vs GTL (ISI engine racers)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Zekester

Post by Zekester »

Is there a way for me to send you the file via this board's PM?

I've never done it before.
Name the 3 branches of the US Government: "Judicial, legislative....I can twerk"
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

The unlock file can be downloaded from no-grip.org as well.
kind of like a cloud I was up way up in the sky and I was feeling some feelings that I couldn't believe; sometimes I don't believe them myself but I decided I was never coming down
mori

Post by mori »

I'm having problems with frame rates. I turned the detail down and shadows off. It either looks so crappy I can't stand it or the frame rates plummet if I turn up detail. I only drive cockpit view so other views aren't an option. I'll have to continue to tweak it to see if I can find a comprimise.
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

What are your specs?

I've had a chance to check out the official site for the first time, and grabbed the 3 driving and tech guides.
I was glad to see that they included engine type and size, as IIRC they're not in-game.
Very nice little driving tips for each car, also.
Name the 3 branches of the US Government: "Judicial, legislative....I can twerk"
magic

Post by magic »

i'm just having TONS of fun driving that lotus Cortina around. A low power RWD car - you get it going sideways but there's nowhere near enough power to make you go all the way round.

Maybe this should spawn a GT Legends thread? :)
Clanwolfer

Post by Clanwolfer »

mori wrote:I'm having problems with frame rates. I turned the detail down and shadows off. It either looks so crappy I can't stand it or the frame rates plummet if I turn up detail. I only drive cockpit view so other views aren't an option. I'll have to continue to tweak it to see if I can find a comprimise.
Try dropping the shaders to DX8 instead of leaving them on Auto. Did me no end of good.
magic

Post by magic »

yeah. just tried that, changing from DX9 to DX8 gained me 50fps on a Radeon X700 Pro 256MB.
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

Every car in this game is enjoyable to drive in one way or another.

A couple of the little, funky-looking ones I had never heard of, but turned out to be enjoyable to drive...like the Renault Alpine.

I was also surprised to learn that the Ford Falcon can outperform the Mustang.

The American team cars in this game make me yearn for a drag-racing sim along the same lines as this, though
:cry:
Clanwolfer

Post by Clanwolfer »

Zekester wrote:Every car in this game is enjoyable to drive in one way or another.

A couple of the little, funky-looking ones I had never heard of, but turned out to be enjoyable to drive...like the Renault Alpine.

I was also surprised to learn that the Ford Falcon can outperform the Mustang.

The American team cars in this game make me yearn for a drag-racing sim along the same lines as this, though
:cry:
I'll second that; each car really does feel unique, and not just in the same way as other sims where it's unique per-class or per-type; for I think the first time ever, I actually went and test-drove every single car I had the chance to buy after the starting cup championship, since credits seem hard to come by and the choice really mattered to me; I must have driver 5 or 6 laps on each car that I could use in the next cup series, trying to get a feel for which one I liked the best.

I picked the Alfa Romeo GT, and with the 15,000 credits I just won going back and redoing a starting cup with it, I'm torn on whether to start the next series or to buy the Jaguar MkII with those credits and go redo the other starting challenge with it to get a feel for it. I love the Alfa, though, and am definitely looking forward to putting some miles under it. The Minin is a joy to drive as long as there's a lot of turns to go around, and the Cortina... well, I won a series with it. But I didn't like it, it seemed just a little too squirrely around turns for me. God help me when I buy either the Mustang or Falcon.
mori

Post by mori »

Clanwolfer wrote:
mori wrote:I'm having problems with frame rates. I turned the detail down and shadows off. It either looks so crappy I can't stand it or the frame rates plummet if I turn up detail. I only drive cockpit view so other views aren't an option. I'll have to continue to tweak it to see if I can find a comprimise.
Try dropping the shaders to DX8 instead of leaving them on Auto. Did me no end of good.
That solved the problem. Thankyou. rFactor has the same setup but it asks you which version of shaders you want and you know right away if you made the right choice.

After playing around a little bit it has the exact same atmosphere as Rally Trophy down to the graphics and music. I wonder why that is?
magic

Post by magic »

mori wrote: After playing around a little bit it has the exact same atmosphere as Rally Trophy down to the graphics and music. I wonder why that is?
nostalgia/history in a non-F1 setting.

This game is blowing me away. the cars are so full of character and each is a pleasure to drive.

Anyone notice the box says "Dodge Charger Teams" inside the flap but not in the game...???
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

Yes :x
Enough

Post by Enough »

Here's an amazing add-on track for GT Legends (Nordschleife WIP RELEASE). Or use this mod for it depending on your preference.

I also added Le Mans because I think GT Legends is perfect for it, you can get it from here.

Big thumbs up so far, each car really seems to have it's own personality.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Clanwolfer

Post by Clanwolfer »

Enough wrote:Here's an amazing add-on track for GT Legends (Nordschleife WIP RELEASE). Or use this mod for it depending on your preference.

I also added Le Mans because I think GT Legends is perfect for it, you can get it from here.

How is the quality of the addon tracks? Is it approaching the visual quality of the retail ones (not that I'd notice, what with having to concentrate so hard on keeping the car on the track), and are there any problems with driving them, or are they all pretty much solid?
Enough

Post by Enough »

Clanwolfer wrote:
Enough wrote:Here's an amazing add-on track for GT Legends (Nordschleife WIP RELEASE). Or use this mod for it depending on your preference.

How is the quality of the addon tracks? Is it approaching the visual quality of the retail ones (not that I'd notice, what with having to concentrate so hard on keeping the car on the track), and are there any problems with driving them, or are they all pretty much solid?
Most of the add-on tracks I've found are really just ports from ones that were in GTR but not GT Legends (e.g., Le Mans) and are fine. Nordschleife that I linked to above is original & has a chance at becoming my favorite track in the game, visually it's pretty stunning. It's fairly challenging and long. But the textures, and mechanics are solid thus far. Really I need more time with them to make a solid opinion. But I'm going to bet some bad user-made tracks get released. Well I better go drive some more Nordschleife now to make sure I still like it. :wink:

Edit: It seems some of the user-made addon tracks have issues with running at night. Including Le Mans. :x If anyone figures out how to keep it from flashing let us know. At least the main tracks all work great at night.

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
magic

Post by magic »

So i've probably put in about six hours with GTL today, and i must say it's fantastic.

Sound, style, looks... it's all top notch. The handling is phenomenal - as i mentioned earlier i've been loving the low power RWD's and their controllable drifts.

I love how each car is so different... how those differences require a different driving style and driving line... the Cortina/Mustang/Falcon i've found requires a deft touch on the way out of a turn... just giving it slightly more power than is needed and getting ever so slightly sideways to help counter the natural understeer the car produces - the wheel turning ever so slightly into the turn as i come out of it, and just let physics take over to straighten me out.
The mini and the Abarth... taking a slightly wider/later entry so i can brake later and make up some lost ground due to the lack of straightline speed... taking the turn a little late to give me more straightaway to work with after the turn.

drifting through the chicanes at zolder in the Falcon, using the gas pedal to flick the car around...

I'm amazed at the nuances each car has... as stated earlier, add this to the atmosphere this game is dripping in.... it's nuts.

I thought i'd not be too thrilled racing classic cars on modern tracks, but it's pulled off so well... It's not like Grand Prix Legends where it's a period/historical racer... it recreates a modern historic racing series, so it's ok. That, and modern tracks are a lot more technical than those of yore... all the better to see how they stack up to GT cars of our generation.

Incredible stuff, and it was only $20? Between this, rFactor and Live For Speed, i'm set. Shit, i haven't even touched LFS in three months.
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

Amen.

This game leaves me wanting more more more of it's goodness.....cars, tracks, tuning options.

Has anyone tamed that TVR yet? What a beast.

I find my favorites to drive so far are the Mustangs, Porsche 918 and standard Pantera.
Clanwolfer

Post by Clanwolfer »

Out of curiousity and a renewed interest due to having my wheel out so often this week, how is the mod scene for rFactor doing? I skipped out on it this fall in favor of LFS due to some OO'ers doing LFS races regularly, and because rFactor was still for the most part a newly-released game that had been hyped as a modding platform. Has it lived up to that in terms of completed, drivable, fun mods actually being released, or are there just a ton of projects in alpha/beta stages that aren't there yet?

I'd love to get rFactor when I get another paycheck under my belt, but I'm just afraid of plunking money into it only to see the developers stop supporting it or the mod community just not latch onto it.
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

The mod scene is good so far. The Porsche Carrera Cup and Superkart mods are sick. I really like the F3 Euroseries mod as well. ISI is implementing NASCAR rules in probably the next patch so thet the rfstockcar mod can be full blast. I've been running at least one race on there every night. All in all a great package and guaranteed to keep getting better. rFactor has loooooong legs.
kind of like a cloud I was up way up in the sky and I was feeling some feelings that I couldn't believe; sometimes I don't believe them myself but I decided I was never coming down
mori

Post by mori »

magic wrote:
mori wrote: After playing around a little bit it has the exact same atmosphere as Rally Trophy down to the graphics and music. I wonder why that is?
I thought it was a lack of imagination on Simbin's part.
magic

Post by magic »

Clanwolfer wrote: I'd love to get rFactor when I get another paycheck under my belt, but I'm just afraid of plunking money into it only to see the developers stop supporting it or the mod community just not latch onto it.
the mods will stop for GTR/GTL/GTR2 before they do with rF.

Simbin are (strangely) very anti-modding, in that they don't want any of their base files to be used for creating extra content for their games. There are skins for cars in GTL, but if you want to make a standalone addon car, say a Gulf GT40 to use a past example that was stopped by Simbin, you must create your own. But you can't have/use the tools/files to do it. Same for tracks.

ISI, on the other hand, have developed rFactor to be completely open and freely moddable. Since it's release a few months back, it's seen at least three patches, and a ton of officially released extra content in the form of tracks and even a whole new racing series. On the cards are at least three more official tracks from ISI, and longer term comes the promised weather effects and various other options to better facilitate online/endurance racing.
As mentioned, the PCC mod is out, and is incredible, as is the F3 Euroseries. TheUSPits and RSR are coming out with a GT mod based on the Speed World Challenge series. There's karting mods, stockcars... tons. As for tracks, there's at least thirty mod tracks out now.

ISI released this game with little in the way of corporate backing/sponsorship. Since release, they've picked up a couple of major sponsors for the company's long term future and have also licensed the new engine for a few more sims. They're not going anywhere, and this is their "dream product".

Simply put, your better dollar in terms of long term options is going to be rFactor. It's worth every last penny it costs, and the mod community is in full swing. There are quite a few mods in development, yes, but what's out there now in a relatively final state is worth it.
magic

Post by magic »

mori wrote:
magic wrote:
I thought it was a lack of imagination on Simbin's part.
:)

the important thing is what's on track, and that they've kicked serious ass on.
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

Looks like Sears/Infineon is out now for GTL as well.

And a great video of a Jag at Goodwood http://www.gregorfisken.com/
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

2 things:

A new mod came out tonight for rFactor: 4WD V8 Dune Buggies w/ two special tracks. crazy good fun. So fun I almost cant be bothered to race hehe.

Also if you haven't play superkarts on a small oval. its insane.

racing is fun :)
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

It's Monday noon, and still no online key :x

I sent for it on Saturday.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

GP2 also came out for rFactor this weekend.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
magic

Post by magic »

tjg_marantz wrote:GP2 also came out for rFactor this weekend.
don't tell me that, man... too much shit to play :)
magic

Post by magic »

Zekester wrote:It's Monday noon, and still no online key :x

Same here, mine showed up at about 3.30PM ET monday.
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

marantz, while you're here I have a question for ya.....

Do cars like those found in GTL appeal to racers outside of the US?

Big, torquey V8's were the whole 'drive' behind American musclecars, and is why I love this game since it captures that with the Mustang's, Vette's and especially the Falcon.

What's your take on these cars? or do you prefer the more your-rope-pee-on style?
Enough

Post by Enough »

magic wrote:
Zekester wrote:It's Monday noon, and still no online key :x

Same here, mine showed up at about 3.30PM ET monday.
Same here. I just used my online key to try loading online setup files for different tracks from within the game. I tried one for the 906 on Mondello that made a huge difference, I guess I need help tweaking the car, heh. It worked really smoothly, great feature.

Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

I looked for a friendly practice session on GTL last night but there was like zero activity. rFactor always at least SOME people online. at anyrate id be happy to host some informal practice/race sessions in the evenings.For starters lets try this...

At 7pm PST I will start a GTL server Called "OO Racing" and the password will be "octopi". It will be all cars allowed, autoclutch only and probably Mondello National. I race and FPS as Chesspieceface so that will be me. Ill keep the server up untill 8pm PST if no one shows, and much later if people come. no big deal either way. But it'd be cool to hang out and race around like Ive been doing with strangers in rfactor.
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

^I'll try to make that tonight

Been tweaking the Ford Falcon for Monza Junior, and got it down to 1:11's

Which, as I gather, is about mid-pack :P
Clanwolfer

Post by Clanwolfer »

I'll try and make it too. I'm going to be last, but I'll just have fun, probably tooling around in an Alfa Romeo or maybe a Jag MkII.
magic

Post by magic »

I'll stay up and i'll make it :)
BrianE

Post by BrianE »

Just waiting on my multiplayer key, then I hope to be able to join you folks
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

How do you guys know what the better setups are for downloading?

Also, when you make your own adjustments, do they override the general sliders-over/understeer-soft/hard-and gearing?
magic

Post by magic »

Zekester wrote:How do you guys know what the better setups are for downloading?

Also, when you make your own adjustments, do they override the general sliders-over/understeer-soft/hard-and gearing?
1. trial and error.

2. yes, they do.
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

Well guys... I've rarely had so much fun mixed with so much crap before. Real fun on Donnington, but any change sends GTL haywire.

They already patched multiplayer once... :roll:

But thanks for playing guys!
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

Yeah, thanks!

:wink:
onnel

Post by onnel »

Don't forget, there are plenty of other cars in GTL, too. I pretty much never touch the muscle cars, instead driving things like the Porsche 914. I'm not sure I'eve spent more than 5 minutes with any of the cars you've listed.

There really is something for everyone!

Onnel
Zekester wrote:marantz, while you're here I have a question for ya.....

Do cars like those found in GTL appeal to racers outside of the US?

Big, torquey V8's were the whole 'drive' behind American musclecars, and is why I love this game since it captures that with the Mustang's, Vette's and especially the Falcon.

What's your take on these cars? or do you prefer the more your-rope-pee-on style?