Divine Relics - Stessier has the clap - Day 7

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Austin

Post by Austin »

Updated with roles, some rules and such. I'm going back and forth on some different mechanisms with regard to voting. I'll probably simplify it all a bit and have taken steps to do so with some of the roles. I'd just open it for discussion but I'd rather keep some of this in the dark to avoid manipulation, and to attract players looking for the mysterious awesomeness of this game. We won't start until after Trig's game winds up and it will likely be the day after to allow folks to get a breather.
Your ad here.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Sean, Minister of KtSP wrote:
Remus West wrote:Or, and here is the kicker, I could prevemptive strike against Sean cause he is certainly going to be coming after me. Him and his damned prejudice ministry. Plus, I think I'd enjoy sending him PMs that say "Hey it was fun playing with you. Been forever since we had a chance to game. To bad you are dead now."
Prejudice ministry!!?? I'll have you know, we have exacting standards here at the Ministry. We don't just go killing people willy nilly.

Besides, we've got enough history that I have lots of resons to kill you first saved up. Don't need to be diverting badly needed Ministry resources just to kill an old friend. :twisted:
My memory is bad. (big surprise, there) Wasn't it you and jimdave who took up spears and played with the lights in Paranoia! and put a spear through Remus' chest for no reason?
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

LordMortis wrote:
Remus West wrote:Or, and here is the kicker, I could prevemptive strike against Sean cause he is certainly going to be coming after me. Him and his damned prejudice ministry. Plus, I think I'd enjoy sending him PMs that say "Hey it was fun playing with you. Been forever since we had a chance to game. To bad you are dead now."
Prejudice ministry!!?? I'll have you know, we have exacting standards here at the Ministry. We don't just go killing people willy nilly.

Besides, we've got enough history that I have lots of resons to kill you first saved up. Don't need to be diverting badly needed Ministry resources just to kill an old friend. :twisted:
My memory is bad. (big surprise, there) Wasn't it you and jimdave who took up spears and played with the lights in Paranoia! and put a spear through Remus' chest for no reason?
No, that would have been me and JimDave. It would have worked too except I forgot to get the used spears back and ended up punching CR in the chest rather than stabbing him. Stabbing worked much better. Stupid lack of pointy stick.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
stessier

Post by stessier »

Austin wrote: We won't start until after Trig's game winds up and it will likely be the day after to allow folks to get a breather.
What is this "Breather" of which you speak? I am only familiar with Gaming and Withdrawl...
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Kraegor

Post by Kraegor »

stessier wrote:
Austin wrote: We won't start until after Trig's game winds up and it will likely be the day after to allow folks to get a breather.
What is this "Breather" of which you speak? I am only familiar with Gaming and Withdrawl...
you've been on a "powered" hotstreak. which is a load of crap, imho. what'd ya do? payoff random.org? :P

If you ever get on a non-powered streak you'll learn how the other half lives i.e. the amount of extra work involved in deduction.... tho usually yer dead at some point so the "breather" occurs while the game is still active...
Austin

Post by Austin »

Kraegor wrote:
stessier wrote:
you've been on a "powered" hotstreak. which is a load of crap, imho. what'd ya do? payoff random.org? :P

If you ever get on a non-powered streak you'll learn how the other half lives i.e. the amount of extra work involved in deduction.... tho usually yer dead at some point so the "breather" occurs while the game is still active...
Hence me actually getting a game put together to host finally. :P
Your ad here.
Grundbegriff

Re: Divine Relics - Sign ups - WW Game - Updated 2-18

Post by Grundbegriff »

Austin wrote:Balaam: Legion’s trusted advisor and soothsayer. Each night Balaam may chose to scan 1 priest to see which relic he posses, if any. He will be told which relic that priest possesses and if it’s one I’ve been vague on, he’ll be told that the relic does.
Does that mean that in this scenario, Balaam might end up knowing more about Priestly Pete's relic than Priestly Pete himself knows?
Austin

Post by Austin »

Grundbegriff wrote:
Austin wrote:Balaam: Legion’s trusted advisor and soothsayer. Each night Balaam may chose to scan 1 priest to see which relic he posses, if any. He will be told which relic that priest possesses and if it’s one I’ve been vague on, he’ll be told that the relic does.
Does that mean that in this scenario, Balaam might end up knowing more about Priestly Pete's relic than Priestly Pete himself knows?
No. When I hand out the Relics, the receiver will receive more detailed instructions if they apply. Balaam will find out the same stuff.
Your ad here.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Austin wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote:
No. When I hand out the Relics, the receiver will receive more detailed instructions if they apply. Balaam will find out the same stuff.
I see.

And in addition to seeing the known artifacts through a glass darkly, are there artifacts not listed at all? Likewise, are there roles not listed at all?

I'm just trying to feel the perimeter of the unknowns.
Austin

Post by Austin »

Grundbegriff wrote:
Austin wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote:
I see.

And in addition to seeing the known artifacts through a glass darkly, are there artifacts not listed at all? Likewise, are there roles not listed at all?

I'm just trying to feel the perimeter of the unknowns.
Legion has an unknown. Judas has an unknown, Cretan also, and there are a couple balances on the good side also. It wouldn't be game breaking for them to be known and there is nothing crazy like resurrection or nukes or anything. :P One is definitely nothing new, the other twist on a role might be. (I haven't seen it, however it might have been done before my game playing time) There also are not any 'realized' powers. (where someone thinks themselves unspecial until they are lynched than find out they have a power. If you are powered, you will know it and fully know your powers from the start)
Your ad here.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Are there any random (or scheduled) occurrences that we won't know about until they go down? I'm not talking about roles and artifacts, but, say, sudden precipitation with a chance of death.
Austin

Post by Austin »

Grundbegriff wrote:Are there any random (or scheduled) occurrences that we won't know about until they go down? I'm not talking about roles and artifacts, but, say, sudden precipitation with a chance of death.
No. For the record I don't like anything that ties to a chance. If the hunter protects he has a 50% chance of killing the wolf. I won't use anything like that. More along the lines of If Bobby garners X votes and Sue garners Y votes they both Z. (Where Zzzzz does not equal die :lol)
Your ad here.
Kraegor

Post by Kraegor »

Grundbegriff wrote:Are there any random (or scheduled) occurrences that we won't know about until they go down? I'm not talking about roles and artifacts, but, say, sudden precipitation with a chance of death.
what? worried there might be a hidden condescension meter/timer?

tick...tick..tick...Grund has not bullied someone in 8 hours...

<event triggers>

Grund has had a stroke and will not be able to participate in the coming vote...
Austin

Post by Austin »

Ooooh! Good idea! Do you really want a bully meter though? :P
Your ad here.
Grundbegriff

;)

Post by Grundbegriff »

Kraegor wrote:
what? worried there might be a hidden condescension meter/timer?
Leave it to someone like you to say that.
Kraegor

Re: ;)

Post by Kraegor »

Grundbegriff wrote:Leave it to someone like you to say that.
well yeah, why would there be a sarcasm meter? there can never be too much sarcasm.
Kraegor

Post by Kraegor »

Austin wrote:Ooooh! Good idea! Do you really want a bully meter though? :P
hah! I've never bullied anyone in these games. I'm the epitome of civility.
Austin

Post by Austin »

Kraegor wrote:
Austin wrote:Ooooh! Good idea! Do you really want a bully meter though? :P
hah! I've never bullied anyone in these games. I'm the epitome of civility.
I still swear you were over compensating.
Your ad here.
Kraegor

Post by Kraegor »

lol. yer looking at the small subset and ignoring the larger one.

if it rains for 3 days out of 4... it might be perceived as too much rain.
if those 3 days are the only time it rains that year?
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Remember the game(s) that had an overvoter (say, the Ventriloquist) who could register a private vote as well as a public one?

It would be amusing, if it hasn't already been, to have an undervoter on the good team (not necessarily in this game) who's cursed in such a way that his vote fails to count. He'd obviously be decent lynch fodder if the good team figured out who he is. Meanwhile, if the bad team happened to kill him, that would break the curse and unleash his unused votes for use by some random sameteam player (who would then become an overvoter).

Net result would be that if the bad team kills him, they decrease the good population, but fix the good vote. Meanwhile, if the good team kills him, they decrease their own population but don't fix their vote. Incentive structure: good team doesn't want him alive, but wants the bad team to kill him.
Austin

Post by Austin »

Grundbegriff wrote:Remember the game(s) that had an overvoter (say, the Ventriloquist) who could register a private vote as well as a public one?

It would be amusing, if it hasn't already been, to have an undervoter on the good team (not necessarily in this game) who's cursed in such a way that his vote fails to count. He'd obviously be decent lynch fodder if the good team figured out who he is. Meanwhile, if the bad team happened to kill him, that would break the curse and unleash his unused votes for use by some random sameteam player (who would then become an overvoter).

Net result would be that if the bad team kills him, they decrease the good population, but fix the good vote. Meanwhile, if the good team kills him, they decrease their own population but don't fix their vote. Incentive structure: good team doesn't want him alive, but wants the bad team to kill him.
That's kind of cool actually. I'm sure it can get hard to track but I like new stuff. Maybe in the next Cassandra. (which I've never player)
Your ad here.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Kraegor wrote:tho usually yer dead at some point so the "breather" occurs while the game is still active...
I've died twice now while it was still "Game On." I've never made it through the Withdrawl stage to see if there was something beyond that before a new game started. This is not to say I've had short layoffs (had what 2-3 weeks in the WW game), rather I need help. :P

And in the first game I was Helo, the second, The Network Administrator. You could argue the Admin job had some additional insight, but not much. Helo was definitely in the same boat as the rest of you with the exception that I didn't have to worry about messing up because I could always prove myself (and, notably, I was the last Idiot With A Gun to actually hit a bad guy...just saying...). So I'd say I've definitely had to do some work. :)

As for Sorcerer Kraegor...how hard is that job when you just stake out the contrary position to the most widely held belief? :wink:
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Kraegor

Post by Kraegor »

stessier wrote: And in the first game I was Helo, the second, The Network Administrator. You could argue the Admin job had some additional insight, but not much. Helo was definitely in the same boat as the rest of you with the exception that I didn't have to worry about messing up because I could always prove myself (and, notably, I was the last Idiot With A Gun to actually hit a bad guy...just saying...). So I'd say I've definitely had to do some work. :)

As for Sorcerer Kraegor...how hard is that job when you just stake out the contrary position to the most widely held belief? :wink:
with a power you know 2 things.
without a power you know 1 thing.
Thus at game start, powered players have informational advantage.

proving yourself is EVERYTHING. yer downplaying the single most powerful aspect of the game. It's paranoia, if no one is paranoid about you, your views are taken at face value. Helo...the power to irrevocably prove your status? hugely powerful.

Of course powered players have work to do. Rather pivotal work. But having a role gives you a distinct direction. A path to play towards. If someone claims your role...you know something no one else does. another strategic advantage. Playing a powered role is difficult as your misteps are more closely scrutinized and have greater impact. I'm not discounting the challenge.

No role. Means you must chart your own path. Altho you are granted more freedom than a powered player, that freedom is at the cost of knowledge and security. Playing a villager...is difficult if you wish to affect the game in a positive manner. As a villager your ability to affect change will feel much less tangible. The difference between having a flashlight and having moonlight. As a villager you are more blind and more vulnerable. true enough that your death means less, but to create power out of nothing can be quite difficult. Some just don't wanna bother and thus choose the "just lynch me" and/or inactive approach. It's why folks will join up for a few games...get no powers for 2 games in a row and stop playing because "being a villager is no fun, feels powerless". Being a villager is what you make of it.

Sorta like open ended vs rails.

Sure you can "phone in" your gameplay but that's true regardless of power.

anywho, after 3 edits!, I was simply giving you a hard time cuz yer enthusiasm is certainly impacted by your luck in getting back2back2back roles. Of course you may be a plain old addict like the rest of us, but you haven't played a truly blind game yet. ;)
Sean, Minister of KtSP

Post by Sean, Minister of KtSP »

LordMortis wrote:My memory is bad. (big surprise, there) Wasn't it you and jimdave who took up spears and played with the lights in Paranoia! and put a spear through Remus' chest for no reason?
What Remus said. I know there was cool stuff that happened in that Paranoia game, but at this point, that weekend (and many others like it) is just a big blur. A fondly remembered blur, but a blur nonetheless.
"Sweet dreams, Mr. Stiffly."
"I have told you, my name is not... ... ...Sweet dreams, Monster-san."
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

LordMortis wrote:My memory is bad. (big surprise, there) Wasn't it you and jimdave who took up spears and played with the lights in Paranoia! and put a spear through Remus' chest for no reason?
What Remus said. I know there was cool stuff that happened in that Paranoia game, but at this point, that weekend (and many others like it) is just a big blur. A fondly remembered blur, but a blur nonetheless.
I also got to shoot Sean with a cone rifle from a few feet away when he took a shot at computer property (the plane). That worked better than even the pointy sticks. :twisted:
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Can I get IN austin?
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Austin

Post by Austin »

Scoop20906 wrote:Can I get IN austin?
Uhhh.. Only if you add a comma.
Your ad here.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Austin wrote:
Scoop20906 wrote:Can I get IN, austin?
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :x :x :x :x :x

Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Scoop20906 wrote:
Austin wrote:
Scoop20906 wrote:Can I get IN, austin?
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :x :x :x :x :x
:lol:
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Well, now Judas is cast. ;)
Austin

Post by Austin »

Grundbegriff wrote:Well, now Judas is cast. ;)
Will be random. Figured this was a good spot to mention that.
Your ad here.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Grundbegriff wrote:Well, now Judas is cast. ;)
:evil:

stessier

Post by stessier »

Will there be any more rules updates, or has everything been pretty much explained at this point?

Not that I'm anxious to start or anything...
Austin

Post by Austin »

stessier wrote:Will there be any more rules updates, or has everything been pretty much explained at this point?

Not that I'm anxious to start or anything...
Rulez as far as voting for sacrificing and such will be laid out.
Your ad here.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

in

Am gonna be editing this post to add links to the game

p.4 Day 1 begins with no KILL!
http://www.octopusoverlords.com/phpBB2/ ... 07#1209507

P. 6 Remus offeser self to be lynched
http://www.octopusoverlords.com/phpBB2/ ... 13#1210313

P. 9 begins - day 1 debate continues re: remus offer; Grund accuses Unagi
http://www.octopusoverlords.com/phpBB2/ ... 55#1211055

p. 12 begins Day 1 continues
http://www.octopusoverlords.com/phpBB2/ ... 83#1211983

P. 15 day 1 - grund continues Unagi attack; scoop goes wacko
http://www.octopusoverlords.com/phpBB2/ ... 36#1213036

p. 18 begins day 1 continues
http://www.octopusoverlords.com/phpBB2/ ... 30#1214030

P. 21 begins day 1 continues
http://www.octopusoverlords.com/phpBB2/ ... 91#1214891

p. 22 day 1 - Unagi reveals himself (at end of page)
http://www.octopusoverlords.com/phpBB2/ ... 09#1215009

p.24 begins - Unagi fallout, grund presses on, truicy offers self sacrifice
http://www.octopusoverlords.com/phpBB2/ ... 13#1215213

p. 27 dau 1 Unagi fallout
http://www.octopusoverlords.com/phpBB2/ ... 48#1215548

p.30 day 1 continues
http://www.octopusoverlords.com/phpBB2/ ... 57#1216157

p.33 Truicy lynched - end day 1
http://www.octopusoverlords.com/phpBB2/ ... 13#1216713

p.36 day 2 breaks - baktosh murdered
http://www.octopusoverlords.com/phpBB2/ ... 24#1217324

p.38 day 2 unagi uses sword on Grund
http://www.octopusoverlords.com/phpBB2/ ... 06#1218206

p.39 day 2 sean reveals self as writ of twofold
http://www.octopusoverlords.com/phpBB2/ ... 74#1218374

p.42 - day 2 grund experimenting on the overvote
http://www.octopusoverlords.com/phpBB2/ ... 40#1218840

p.45 - day 2 Grund locking on trigg as Judas
http://www.octopusoverlords.com/phpBB2/ ... 29#1219429

p.48 - day 2 voting starts on trigg
http://www.octopusoverlords.com/phpBB2/ ... 60#1219960

p.51 - day 2 P.50 trigg claims staff; p.51 discussion re: staff
http://www.octopusoverlords.com/phpBB2/ ... 82#1220582

p.52 day 2, Judas lynched day 2 ends
http://www.octopusoverlords.com/phpBB2/ ... 60#1220660

p. 54 day 3 dawns, Grund Killed at night
http://www.octopusoverlords.com/phpBB2/ ... 91#1220891

p.57 day 3 - p.56 CR (cretan) states he's a masons, p.57 mason disucssion
http://www.octopusoverlords.com/phpBB2/ ... 13#1221813

p.60 day 3 mason discussion
http://www.octopusoverlords.com/phpBB2/ ... 46#1222146

p.63 Kraggor names CR as Cretan p.62, CR voted over
http://www.octopusoverlords.com/phpBB2/ ... 95#1222695

p.64 Day 3 ends -
http://www.octopusoverlords.com/phpBB2/ ... 62#1222862

p.66Day 4 starts - kraeggor killed
http://www.octopusoverlords.com/phpBB2/ ... 97#1223697

p. 70 - day 4 Remus lynched - end day 4
http://www.octopusoverlords.com/phpBB2/ ... 56#1224456

Space reserved
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

oh and also lynch grund ...had to get that out of the way.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I'll join up also.

Just a little forecast: I aim to post more like tru1cy in this game.
No more chatterbox!

/buttons lips - throws away imaginary key...
RevHempus71

Post by RevHempus71 »

Ok guys I reall screwed up good as a goodguy now. I now have yet another newfound respect fo the game and all it players. Now it is time to start playing for myself.
Sheesh...... May I please get out of the corner now???? I promise to behave........
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Will the players be informed "Good" or "Evil" when they make their daily sacrifice?
Austin

Post by Austin »

Unagi wrote:Will the players be informed "Good" or "Evil" when they make their daily sacrifice?
Good question. Yes.
Your ad here.