2024 Fundraising - $1102 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

China buying up big pieces of Canadian natural resources

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Yog-Sothoth

Post by Yog-Sothoth »

What happens if we wake up tomorrow and collectively decide to barter with a non US dollar system? The dollar is Fiat dollar. What happens when we decide that we have no faith in it any more? What can be done to us (individuals, groups, etc...) If my business tomorrow stopped generally dealing in cash, how would they be taxed beyond property estimations? If they did not pay their employees in cash, how would their employees be taxed?
Read your dollar bill: "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private". You basically have to take dollars.

Of course, you can raise your rates to make up for the fact that said dollars are being "printed" in vast quantities and are worth less than they used to be. Otherwise known as inflation.

On other points:
I feel like chicken little, but I really don't think the collapse is immanent. I just think our corporate and government interests are sleeping together too much in a too short sighted environment. I think that we've moved from mortgaging our future to mortgaging our present and I'm afraid that it will become irreversable if we don't make policy change soon.
Have you seen even the slightest indication from any government or party official that they are even considering changing our policies?

Greenspan is out saying "everything is OK" on a daily basis.

Bush says that things are great economically also.

Kerry says "things are bad economically" but his solution is more spending. This is not going to fix our problems.

Granted, if anyone out there said that we were spending way beyond our means, that the economic system is shaky, and that we need to get used to a permanent lowering of our lifestyle they would be laughed at, not elected.

This could take a long time to unfold. People have been saying the same arguments for 20 years. One of these days they're going to be right. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Edmond

Post by Edmond »

Wait a minute! I thought water supply is not a problem on this planet? Are you telling me that the good old Dr. Asimov lied to me?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Read your dollar bill: "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private". You basically have to take dollars.
So I have to take dollars, but what happens if we take and use them and take and use an alternate currency concurrently.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

RunningMn9 wrote:Hey, here's a little something else for ND, keeper of the chronicles of lost civilizations.

The city that is now called Cahokia
Yes, the mound builders are an interesting group. A failed civilization before they could even leave their mark.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

LordMortis wrote:What happens if we wake up tomorrow and collectively decide to barter with a non US dollar system?
What if the Martians invade tomorrow? That's just as likely :)
The dollar is Fiat dollar. What happens when we decide that we have no faith in it any more? What can be done to us (individuals, groups, etc...) If my business tomorrow stopped generally dealing in cash, how would they be taxed beyond property estimations? If they did not pay their employees in cash, how would their employees be taxed?
Easy, as is done now when this happens. The govt would require you to estimate the value of what you give them, and then withhold the dollar equivalent in taxes. So if the tax rate is 20%, and you want to pay your employees $1000/week in bread and milk, you end up really paying them $800/week in bread and milk, withholding $200 and forwarding to the govt in cash, not bread.

BTW even if you lose faith in cash, what you are supposing really isn't practical. Has any modern nation that has faced economic dislocation moved to a barter system? I may be wrong, but I don't think so. A number of countries have experienced extremely high inflation in the past but they never went barter. It just isn't practical.

Grifman
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

It's not just the Chinese. It's the Yellow Peril. They're taking over everything.
Unbreakable

Post by Unbreakable »

noxiousdog wrote:
RunningMn9 wrote:Hey, here's a little something else for ND, keeper of the chronicles of lost civilizations.

The city that is now called Cahokia
Yes, the mound builders are an interesting group. A failed civilization before they could even leave their mark.
I was planning on going there this year. Unfortunately it never worked out.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

noxiousdog wrote:Yes, the mound builders are an interesting group. A failed civilization before they could even leave their mark.
Well, it certainly looks like they left their mark. Since we are looking at their mounds. :)

But I'm surprised you used the word "failed". Certainly that city was abandoned. But as near as I can tell, we don't know why, or what happened to the inhabitants. At this point, since I'm assuming that not all of the practitioners of their culture died out (since they believe that there are a number of Native American tribes that are direct descendents), I prefer the term "abandoned". :)
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Enough wrote:One thing I have not seen mentioned in this thread is another less obvious way resources are flowing to China. As China begins to buy more of our grain they are helping us to use up a non-renewable resource: water.
Every bushel of wheat and corn China imports from these regions is essentially sending the Ogallala's water to China.
Problem Solved!
Something that hasn't happened since a Kansan was in the White House is about to happen again: U.S. imports of farm goods will equal exports. It will be the first time since the late 1950s that the U.S. will fail to run an agricultural trade surplus.
:?