Is it football season yet?
monkyskunk

Re: OONFL2K10 - It's foosball time!

Post by monkyskunk »

IN :ninja:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Is there a template or specific formatting to pick submission that would make your life easier, Zaxxon?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Isgrimnur wrote:Is there a template or specific formatting to pick submission that would make your life easier, Zaxxon?
Yes, and I'm glad you asked. If you pull the spreadsheet from the OONFL site (link in my sig), each week's games are listed. That's the order I'd like picks submitted in. (Incidentally, that list was created via ESPN's NFL schedule, so you *should* alternatively be able to refer to that, but please verify). So that's the order. As for the format, the easiest for me is a simple list of winners prepended with your name. Example: This week's schedule in the 4-team NFL is CHI @ DET, GB @ MIN. Then when you submit, the list would look like:

Isgrimnur's Week 1 Picks:
CHI
GB

I prefer emailed submissions. Some folks have used PM in the past, but the nature of the PM system combined with my relatively high PM volume means I can't go back and verify in the case of any errors later on. Email address is listed on the Info tab of the spreadsheet, or you can use the forum's Email button to submit.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Zaxxon wrote:Example: This week's schedule in the 4-team NFL is CHI @ DET, GB @ MIN. Then when you submit, the list would look like:

Isgrimnur's Week 1 Picks:
CHI
GB
For lock designation, is there an addition to each winner designated or should those be listed on separate line items below the submission list?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

That'd be helpful if I mentioned locks, eh? I blame it on the NFL's insufferably-long offseason...

Istrimnur's Week 1 Picks:
CHI L
GB

The idea is that when I'm entering picks, I can open your list on one screen and the sheet on the other, and type across your row one time, in order, while I read your picks. It seems like a small thing, but one person sending me picks out of order and/or with locks listed separately takes me as long to enter as about 5-10 folks that submitted the ideal way. When entering 500+ picks each week, the efficiency gain is appreciated.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Are we shifting this thread over to FGF like last season once it begins?
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Remus West wrote:Are we shifting this thread over to FGF like last season once it begins?
Yepper. Once it's a closed group of participants, it gets scooted.
naednek

Post by naednek »

tempting!
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

naednek wrote:tempting!
You've sat out how many years now? I think it's time you joined up.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Reminder: Week 1 starts this Thursday, so get those picks in! And don't forget to include your tie-breaker answers:

1) How many TDs will Brett Favre throw in regular-season NFL games this season?
2) Which team will have the best record at the end of the regular season?
3) What non-QB player will finish the season with the most touchdowns?
moghedian

Post by moghedian »

Thanks for the reminder...

My Ironman picks should be in by tomorrow..
A carousel horse, who is constantly lost...Standing still but always running
moghedian

Post by moghedian »

Whoops....I sent my Ironman picks to your gmail address not the stratosgroup one. I can re-send if need be
A carousel horse, who is constantly lost...Standing still but always running
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

moghedian wrote:Whoops....I sent my Ironman picks to your gmail address not the stratosgroup one. I can re-send if need be
Either one is fine; they both route to Gmail; I just don't publish that one.

Also received JM's payment this AM. Anyone else? :)
soulbringer

Post by soulbringer »

Week 1 picks sent. Go team fight team win team.
Grievous Angel

Post by Grievous Angel »

Did you get my payment from last week, Zax?
Here's to a long life and a merry one; A quick death and an easy one; A pretty girl and a true one; A cold beer, and another one.

Will write for food or music.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Grievous Angel wrote:Did you get my payment from last week, Zax?
Indeed I did.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I assume my picks and tiebreakers made it in, but the board didn't send me a copy like the checkbox said it would.

Can I get a confirmation, Zaxxon? I promise, I'll make sure I track it better for future weeks.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Isgrimnur wrote:I assume my picks and tiebreakers made it in, but the board didn't send me a copy like the checkbox said it would.

Can I get a confirmation, Zaxxon? I promise, I'll make sure I track it better for future weeks.
Yes, I received both. I don't generally acknowledge right away, as I have Gmail set to scoot OONFL emails away to a separate label, which I don't check until I'm ready to enter picks. It helps ensure I don't inadvertently see anyone's picks before I make mine. I try to enter picks a day before the first game, and try (but don't always succeed) to send a reminder at that time to those who still haven't submitted.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Thank you so much. I know having to respond to every request like this would be rather tiresome. Like I said, I will make doubly sure that I make every effort to avoid taxing your time in the future.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Not a problem. Looking forward to the season.
GuidoTKP

Post by GuidoTKP »

Picks-ilated!
"All I can ever think of when I see BBT is, "that guy f***ed Angelina Jolie? Seriously?" Then I wonder if Angelina ever wakes up in the middle of the night to find Brad Pitt in the shower, huddled in a corner furiously scrubbing at his d*** and going, 'I can't get the smell of Billy Bob off of this thing.' Then I try to think of something, anything, else." --Brian

"Would you go up to a girl in a bar and say 'Pardon me, miss, but before I spend a lot of time chatting you up, and buying you drinks, I'd like to know if you do anal. Because if not, that's a deal-breaker for me.'"
-- Mr. Fed
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

If I send my check today (don't have paypal), is it too late to join?
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:If I send my check today (don't have paypal), is it too late to join?
I'll let you slide... THIS TIME. :) I'll PM you the new address.

Last chance for any other stragglers, as well!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Current roster of participants:
(? indicates payment not yet received)

$iljanus
Big Jake
Captain Caveman
Exodor
GamerIrv ?
Grievous Angel
GuidoTKP
Gwartok
Isgrimnur
JC Anejo
JC Anejo IM
Jeff V
Jiffy
Jim of V
JMDiller
The JoeKer
Kurth
Miss Taken
Mitma
Moghedian
Moghedian IM
Monkeyskunk
Mr. Bob
Mr. Lem
Mr. Jim
Ralph-Wiggum ?
Rdog
Remus West
Rich ov V
Soulbringer
The Meal
Zaxxon

I've received picks from:
Isgrimnur
Jeff V
Remus West
GuidoTKP
JMDiller
Moghedian IM
Soubringer

Don't forget to include your tiebreaker answers with Week 1 picks!

Tiebreakers: At the end of the playoffs, ties will be broken first by regular season cumulative point totals, and second by answers to the following questions:

And remember, The season starts tomorrow!. Get those Week 1 picks in!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I just sent out an email to all participants. If you didn't receive it, please email or PM me your current email address.
This is a test of the OONFL Emergency Broadcast System. Below is the current participant list, a list of those for whom I've received Week 1 picks, and a refresher on rules and how to submit picks for those who are new or have sat out a season or three. Remember that the season begins tomorrow, so please have your Week 1 picks and tiebreaker answers submitted to me by tomorrow night's kickoff. Also, if anyone is interested in joining JC and Mog by adding an Ironman entry, let me know ASAP. Good luck, and go Bears!

-Zack-

Current roster of participants:
(? indicates payment not yet received)

$iljanus
Big Jake
Captain Caveman
Exodor
GamerIrv ?
Grievous Angel
GuidoTKP
Gwartok
Isgrimnur
JC Anejo
JC Anejo IM
Jeff V
Jiffy
Jim of V
JMDiller
The JoeKer
Kurth
Miss Taken
Mitma
Moghedian
Moghedian IM
Monkeyskunk
Mr. Bob
Mr. Lem
Mr. Jim
Ralph-Wiggum ?
Rdog
Remus West
Rich ov V
Soulbringer
The Meal
Zaxxon

I've received Week 1 picks from:
Isgrimnur
Jeff V
Remus West
GuidoTKP
JMDiller
Moghedian IM
Soubringer

Don't forget to include your tiebreaker answers with Week 1 picks!

Tiebreakers: At the end of the playoffs, ties will be broken first by regular season cumulative point totals, and second by answers to the following questions:

Rules:

General Rules: Each week's picks are to be emailed to Zack at least 30 min before the start of the week's first game. Time will be determined by the time the email reaches my Inbox. Please clearly indicate your participant name in your email. I'll try to send out a reminder email the night before each week's deadline, but I'm a forgetful man, and I'm not to be held responsible for late entries. NOTE: You may submit picks for later games at any point prior to the kickoff of each game. Please only use this ability when you have a good reason to do so, as it does create extra work for the Commish.

Regular Season Scoring: Two points are awarded for correctly picking the winner of a game. An additional point is awarded if you have designated a particular correct pick as a 'lock' before the week's games begin. Designating an incorrect pick as a lock will cause a point to be deducted from your score. Each player has the option to designate up to five locks per week.

Advancing to the Playoffs: At the end of the regular season, the top half of participants will advance to the playoffs. If there is a tie prohibiting exactly one-half of participants from advancing, all players involved in the tie will advance.

Playoff Scoring: Everyone will start with zero points. The first three weeks' games will follow normal scoring, while Super Bowl will be worth double points. Players have the option to designate up to five locks for the duration of the playoffs.

Ironman Option: Players may optionally submit (and pay for) a 2nd entry, in which all regular-season games are picked prior to Week 1 kickoff. Any Ironman entries making the playoffs will be required to pick the entirety of the playoffs (including Super Bowl) prior to Wildcard Weekend kickoff.

Winning: Player with the highest playoff point total wins. 40% of pool goes to the winner, 30% to the second-place entrant, and 15% to the third-place participant. Additionally, 10% of the pot will be awarded to the player with the best regular-season point total, and 5% to the player with the highest combined score over weeks 13-17. In the event of a tie, the tiebreakers (see below) will be applied. In the extremely unlikely event that the tiebreakers do not resolve the tie, the tied players will split their winnings evenly. (ie a 1st-2nd tie would each receive 35% of the pool)

Please include your answers to these questions along with the first week's picks.

Errors: If you notice any errors in the weekly updates, let Zack know immediately. Error corrections will only be accepted through the following week. For example, Week 1 errors must be reported by the end of the final Week 2 game. Week 17 errors must be reported at least 24 hours prior to the first playoff game, and all playoff errors must be reported at least 24 hours prior to the next week's first game.

Submitting your Picks:

Visit the OONFLHQ and download the current season spreadsheet. Open the 'Weeks 1-5' tab, and you'll see Week 1's games listed. Ideally, submit your picks in the order they're listed there, with a pick per line and an L denoting that you wish to lock that game. Example:

Zack's Week 1 picks
PIT
ATL L
CIN
MIN L
...etc

Submitting in this order helps me tremendously when I'm 500 picks each week, as I can just breeze through the spreadsheet.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Thurs pick is in. Let the carnage commence!

(and this year I'll make sure to visit that other subforum to follow the fun instead of wondering for the first few games why no one is talking about the pool in EbG. :grund: )
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

$iljanus wrote:Thurs pick is in. Let the carnage commence!

(and this year I'll make sure to visit that other subforum to follow the fun instead of wondering for the first few games why no one is talking about the pool in EbG. :grund: )
 $iljanus 

:twisted:
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

In!
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Jiffy

Post by Jiffy »

In! Game on! :tjg:
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Note: I will be moving this thread to the Forum Games Forum tomorrow, as it's now a closed-participant thread for the rest of the season. I'm waiting until tomorrow in order to give folks a chance to see this warning so that we don't end up losing people like we did last year.

FOOSBALL IS HERE!!!!!!

TEN @ PIT: 33 picked PIT, 0 picked TEN, 4 locked PIT. Thus, if you picked but didn't lock PIT, you are now rooting for TEN. Enjoy the game!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Good game. Hopefully Polamalu's injury isn't too serious, but is serious enough to keep him out vs CHI next week...

$iljanus 3
Moghedian 3
Moghedian IM 3
Mr. Lem 3
Big Jake 2
Captain Caveman 2
Exodor 2
GamerIrv 2
Grievous Angel 2
GuidoTKP 2
Gwartok 2
Isgrimnur 2
JC Anejo 2
JC Anejo IM 2
Jeff V 2
Jiffy 2
Jim Spielman 2
JMDiller 2
Stinky Cheeseman 2
Kurth 2
Miss Taken 2
Mitma 2
Monkeyskunk 2
Mr. Bob 2
Mr. Jim 2
Ralph-Wiggum 2
Rdog 2
Remus West 2
Teflon Rich 2
Soulbringer 2
The Meal 2
Zaxxon 2
pr0ner 2
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Zaxxon wrote:Thus, if you picked but didn't lock PIT, you are now rooting for TEN. Enjoy the game!
Hahaha...I was actually hoping Ten would pull out. Now the question is, is Ten that good, or is Pit not as good as we thought?
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I was fairly flabbergasted that no one picked TEN. Yes, PIT was the favorite. But TEN went ten-and-o last year, and in late December they creamed the Steelers. I thought we'd have 4 or 5 folks go out on a limb here...
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Zaxxon wrote:I was fairly flabbergasted that no one picked TEN. Yes, PIT was the favorite. But TEN went ten-and-o last year, and in late December they creamed the Steelers. I thought we'd have 4 or 5 folks go out on a limb here...
I was tempted. Glad I didn't.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Kurth wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:I was fairly flabbergasted that no one picked TEN. Yes, PIT was the favorite. But TEN went ten-and-o last year, and in late December they creamed the Steelers. I thought we'd have 4 or 5 folks go out on a limb here...
Was going to go TEN since I figured most folks would pick PIT but I gave home field advantage to PIT. But damn, during the game I was kicking myself a few times last night for not picking TEN. Luckily it all worked out in the end.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

$iljanus wrote:
Kurth wrote:
Was going to go TEN since I figured most folks would pick PIT but I gave home field advantage to PIT. But damn, during the game I was kicking myself a few times last night for not picking TEN. Luckily it all worked out in the end.
Same here. Had Bironas not shanked his first FG, things might have been a little different.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Miss Taken picked TEN until she realized PIT was at home. I bet the picks would have been split about 50/50 if the game was in Nashville.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Captain Caveman wrote:Miss Taken picked TEN until she realized PIT was at home. I bet the picks would have been split about 50/50 if the game was in Nashville.
Yepper.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

PHI @ CAR is the game to watch from the morning set, with 12 players picking the underdog Panthers. No other morning game has more than 6 folks going against the consensus (and that game is DEN @ CIN).