2024 Fundraising - $1192 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Whatcha Stocking?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

dbt1949

Re: Whatcha Stocking?

Post by dbt1949 »

If I feel I have really out of the ordinary bad germans on my hands I figure to use rubbing alcohol on them otherwise just soap and water.
My normal schedule takes me to the store again next Friday. We'll see what's going on then.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

At least the prices to get a quart of beef tallow are still reasonable on Amazon.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

dbt1949 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:31 pm If I feel I have really out of the ordinary bad germans on my hands I figure to use rubbing alcohol on them otherwise just soap and water.
Damnable bad Germans.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I shop every Friday at a SpartanNash store on the edge of an affluent area of town, it's an upscale store. I am a fancy lad.

Anyway today was nuuuttzzz. They were completely out of eggs, flour, sugar, potatoes, onions. The only milk left were four quarts of whole milk, I grabbed two. They only had two brands of TP and they weren't even taking them out of the cases or putting them on the shelves.

Maybe 15 loaves of bread. Almost no peanut butter. I bought the last ground chuck they had.

The worst part was they were out of paper bags. I spent about $100 more than usual (35 of those dollars on a bottle of Jameson) and I bet I had 20+ plastic bags. I hate plastic bags.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

They're getting ready to ban both paper and plastic bags in Fayetteville.
Which translates to they'll sell them to you for 10 cents each.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

dbt1949 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:41 pm They're getting ready to ban both paper and plastic bags in Fayetteville.
Just like Chicago then? I'll have to remember that the next time I go shopping in Fayetteville. The only place I ever shop in Chicago is the Filipino supermarket, and about half the time I forget about bringing bags (although the amount spent on bags is trivial to the usual $300+ tab at the register).
Black Lives Matter
mori

Post by mori »

Being a single middle-aged guy I still have plenty of TP from the bale I bought from Costco a year ago. I have absolutely no stockpiles other than bathing and sanitizing supplies. As long as I don't get it I can eat out every night if I cannot get anything at the supermarket. I am not a picky eater so it should not be an issue. However, if beer and booze becomes hard to come by, there will be a wake of dead in my path :twisted: .
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I would like to humbly suggest you (at a minimum) get a 3 day supply of food (ideally 7+ days) in the event that heading out to a supermarket or restaurant isn't an option.
mori

Post by mori »

I was exaggerating. I do have enough raw ingredients to feed myself for awhile. As long as I can still cook.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Not stocking anything that I already didn't have.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

mori wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:50 pm I was exaggerating. I do have enough raw ingredients to feed myself for awhile. As long as I can still cook.
My sarcasm/hyperbole systems are overloaded. Definitely stock up on liquor though. That's also smart.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I can count on always being able to cook. There is a barbecue on the porch. I live near woods. 1+2 = cooking.

If I didn't have #1, I could dig a hole, toss rocks around it, and put an oven rack on top. If I didn't have #2, I have trees in the yard.

/edit - to be clear, I don't think it will come to that. We'll have power, water, and access to food. But there are always options if something goes sideways.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I wonder if theres stuff out there super cheap because of the distancing? Like are movies cheaper? Anything? Im not worried about the virus if stuff is cheap enough :)
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Dropping the prices of admission to movies in order to bring in more customers would be a really, really bad thing to do, and the theater would likely get skewered for it. The whole point of all of this is to keep people apart to save lives. Offering incentives to people to get together would not be a good thing.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

mori wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:42 pm Being a single middle-aged guy I still have plenty of TP from the bale I bought from Costco a year ago. I have absolutely no stockpiles other than bathing and sanitizing supplies. As long as I don't get it I can eat out every night if I cannot get anything at the supermarket. I am not a picky eater so it should not be an issue. However, if beer and booze becomes hard to come by, there will be a wake of dead in my path :twisted: .
This was my third consecutive week of buying twice as much beer as I need, so I've got at least a 3-week backlog now.

Nobody's predicting outages in water, power, or gas. I guess people are stockpiling water just out of habit, because it's SOP for natural disasters.

We went out for brunch today and the diner was only slightly less busy than usual. It still won't surprise me if restaurants start closing over the next week or two. I plan to patronize the locally-owned ones for as long as possible, because they're at the highest risk of not reopening. Chains will be fine.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Case of TP arrived from Amazon today

I am accepting bids. ;)
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:50 pm I wonder if theres stuff out there super cheap because of the distancing? Like are movies cheaper? Anything? Im not worried about the virus if stuff is cheap enough :)
Got some emails from theaters saying they are reducing ticket sales to 50% of capacity.
They also are asking to leave seats in-between when possible.
No price drops that I've seen.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:50 pm I wonder if theres stuff out there super cheap because of the distancing? Like are movies cheaper? Anything? Im not worried about the virus if stuff is cheap enough :)
Boooo
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:52 pm
dbt1949 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:41 pm They're getting ready to ban both paper and plastic bags in Fayetteville.
The only place I ever shop in Chicago is the Filipino supermarket, and about half the time I forget about bringing bags (although the amount spent on bags is trivial to the usual $300+ tab at the register).
Thai same same :mrgreen:
Re-electing Biden is like the Titanic backing up to hit the iceberg again!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Today went to a baby hazing and a luncheon afterward. In abundance of caution, I refused to drink anything not sterilized by being alcohol. The actual drinking event was scheduled for afterward and somewhere else, but my wife works tonight, and while the father of the baby did invite me, I had to decline because I to take my wife home and there's roughly no chance she would allow me to hang with this crowd without her supervision.

Afterward we stopped at a produce market because she wanted molongay leaves. They had none! She called the Filipino store and they were out too! WTF people, you can't really wipe your ass with them, what's the reason for hoarding them?
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

Braved Costco this morning. Was hoping to get there right when they opened @ 930 which I did, but they decided to open @9am without any warning so I was already in for a fight with the crowds.

TP and Towels were in stock. I didn't need any as we bought some last week. I was worried that the meat would be gone, as the folsom costco was down to beef ribs. Corona virus is not going to make me a vegetarian.

Saw some dude take 5 bags of frozen fish sticks. I stopped him and told him hey man, everything is going to be ok. Out of all the things to pile up, that's what you want to take?

There were 3 lines that stretched the length of the store. I didn't hide my thoughts as I passed the TP aisle.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Except for asswipes, I was able to get everything on the shopping list today. Had to get bakery rye for the corned beef (shorter shelf life so tomorrow is corned beef and cabbage day) because the Beefsteak was all out, as well as any other mass-market breads. We have plenty to execute the meal plan for the week.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

naednek wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:15 pm

Saw some dude take 5 bags of frozen fish sticks. I stopped him and told him hey man, everything is going to be ok. Out of all the things to pile up, that's what you want to take?

Isn't it still lent?

Kraken wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:55 pm Nobody's predicting outages in water, power, or gas. I guess people are stockpiling water just out of habit, because it's SOP for natural disasters.
What happens if there's an ice storm that knocks down powerlines and half of the lineworkers are sick? This is multiplicative. Any normal disruption will be far worse than normal.

It's not just the impact of Covid-19, it's the impact of Covid-19 and whatever else goes wrong.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:59 pm
naednek wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:15 pm

Isn't it still lent?

Kraken wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:55 pm Nobody's predicting outages in water, power, or gas. I guess people are stockpiling water just out of habit, because it's SOP for natural disasters.
What happens if there's an ice storm that knocks down powerlines and half of the lineworkers are sick? This is multiplicative. Any normal disruption will be far worse than normal.

It's not just the impact of Covid-19, it's the impact of Covid-19 and whatever else goes wrong.
Are there any companies talking about shutting down because of this? At my company, there's a lot of discussion around employees who can WFH actually being enabled to WFH, but no corporate directive to actually do so (my job is once that most certainly can be done from home, no matter what my boss says). But at the end of the day, you can't run printing plants from home...some workers have to be in the plants doing what they do, and the technicians that report to me need to support this in person as well.
Black Lives Matter
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I already had a significant amount on hand, and started to increase my supply over the last couple of trips and Amazon orders. When I last went to the grocery store, four days ago (during a non-busy time), I didn't see that much different.

Stuff I got, or checked to make sure I had enough of: Fruits, veggies, yogurts, eggs, cheese, turkey, rice, beans, lentils, canned corn, soups, tuna fish, dried fruit, sunflower seeds, popcorn, cough syrup, asprin, ibuprofen, bandaid, TP, hand sanitizer, soap, gloves, cleaning supplies, light bulbs.

I've got enough to last me at least a month (I guess I'm a little low on paper towels. If I run out, I guess I can use toilet paper :ninja: ).

Yes. Somewhere in this country, there will be a natural disaster and those people will have their problems compounded.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LawBeefaroni wrote: What happens if there's an ice storm that knocks down powerlines and half of the lineworkers are sick?
laughs in Texan
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I got pretty annoyed last night when our case of TP that was scheduled to arrive from Amazon got changed to a Monday delivery. I can't help but buy into the TP hoarder mentality.

It's just a regular part of our Subscribe and Save order. So we deserve to get it, not like these other idiots who are johnny-come-latelys to the world of on-line TP delivery.

So I asked my wife how much TP we had in reserve, "Oh, like a case and a half..."

54 rolls! I'm already sitting on a king's ransom and I never appreciated it.
Formix

Post by Formix »

Walmart at 5:30 this morning was like Soviet Russia. The bread aisle was completely wiped out, even the little Debbie's. Maybe 20 cans of beans total left in the entire store. Paper product aisle had 3 rolls of the pitiful basic paper towels, nothing else. Freezer section, hot dogs, the frozen breakfast and dessert section, milk, flours, lunch meats, all wiped out. Now, they just canceled schools statewide for 2 weeks yesterday, but damn.
mori

Post by mori »

Went on my weekly Sunday morning grocery run. It was a little busier than usual. Things I noticed at my local store. Potatoes, hamburger, bread, and pasta cleaned out. Must of gotten a shipment overnight of TP as there were pallets and pallets of the stuff. People were marching in the store just to grab more of it though. I got some ramen, frozen pizzas, trash bags, and some snacks. Would of liked some fresh bread though.
morlac

Post by morlac »

That's nice of you. This is why America will fail at this.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'm planning to make my normal Sunday afternoon grocery run unless the store is mobbed and stripped, in which case I'll just turn around and go back tomorrow instead. I have plenty of dry goods; now I want to live mostly on perishables to avoid drawing down my stockpile.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I’m debating hitting the grocery store today as well. The stores are typically dead on Sundays around here anyways, as Mormons typically don’t shop on Sundays.

Might be a good time to grab a few things.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Oh now our Province is discouraging people from stockpiling to avoid a shortage.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

mori wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:02 am Would of liked some fresh bread though.
Commercial bakeries here generally don't deliver until Tuesday. I wonder if any ramped up production.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The op & hop wasn't at all busy this afternoon, probably because it's nearly half empty now. Still no paper products or bread or pasta, and now add meat and milk to the OS list. They did replenish some things that were out on Friday, such as potatoes and eggs. Shredded cheese was all gone but they had decent stock left on bricks; I guess people are too lazy to shred it themselves, or don't know how. I always buy bricks anyway because I don't want the cellulose (sawdust, basically) in the shredded stuff. My backup grocer still had some gluten-free pasta, because :P . Let's hope it never comes down to that.

Anyway, I got everything I needed and a few impulse items, and now I'm ready to isolate myself for the week. I'll decide then whether to make another fill-in trip.
mori

Post by mori »

Kraken wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:08 pm I always buy bricks anyway because I don't want the cellulose (sawdust, basically) in the shredded stuff.
Potato starch to keep the cheese from clumping together. It does change the melting qualities and flavor a little bit.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

On thing makes storing food hard for me: I am painfully allergic to beans. They're the perfect storage food, but I can't eat them.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Kraken wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:27 am I have plenty of dry goods; now I want to live mostly on perishables to avoid drawing down my stockpile.
Rimworld, late autumn. :D
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I wonder how long before people start acting normal again?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

"Again"?