Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Re: Random randomness

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:57 pm I live 5 houses down from a train crossing. In years past that way was one of two to town. If it was blocked you took the longer way. In the 90s they built a new industrial park right before that crossing so we got a shortcut to the bypass and a short route to town. Lucky too for fire and ambulance. In the old days the yhad to sit and wait on a train while the house burned or the person died.
Around here, people stop for crossings. If, after about a minute there's no sign of a train, they look very carefully and go around the barriers. We've had to learn to. The alternative is that roads randomly close for hours at a time because they're parked on a switch.

What's really fun is when a huge, long train is going by, then they start to slow down. And down. And then they're creeping by. And then they stop. And stop. And then they start to creep again... backwards. That's when you let people know you'll be late, as every crossing in town is also going to be blocked, and you're looking at a 20-mile detour.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

hahaha Ive seen all those in my life. Im very happy to have multiple ways out of here these days.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
xwraith

Post by xwraith »

I forgot to call it "a box of pure malevolent evil, a purveyor of
insidious insanity, an eldritch manifestation that would make Bill
Gates let out a low whistle of admiration," but it's all those, too.
-- David Gerard, Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wikitext grammar, 2010.08.06
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Thanks Xwraith, that's a fun video.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:09 am The older you get, the more you have in common with your PC: both start out with plenty of memory and drive, then become bloated, outdated, crash unexpectedly, and eventually need to have various parts replaced.
:lol: :lol:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

stessier wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 11:35 am we are of an age where medical things happen. :)
I was a bit concerned when I smelled toast while wandering the Columbus Ohio airport. Luckily, there was a Wolfgang Puck Gourmet Express nearby.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Isgrimnur wrote:
stessier wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 11:35 am we are of an age where medical things happen. :)
I was a bit concerned when I smelled toast while wandering the Columbus Ohio airport. Luckily, there was a Wolfgang Puck Gourmet Express nearby.
That’s Columbus. They’ve turned something nice into a husk of its former self.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Just survive my trip to the DMV for the RealID. As I managed to do 90% of it online, I was in and out within an hour, and overall trip took 2 hours. Basically I've pre-uploaded the documents and they just need to check my phone bill and tax return, plus examine my existing ID and passport (card) in person. Then it's a photo session, then I get my RealID CA driver's license in 2 weeks, well ahead of my birthday (and license expiration).
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

For some reason I'm really feeling the constraints of responsibility right now. We head back to the US in a month. I don't want to end up in GA long term but my wife's mother is there and it feels wrong to move back only to move away from her again. She's wonderful but she is also 85 and in good health. I really don't want to be shackled to suburban Atlanta until she dies.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Find somewhere that's a Delta direct connection with multiple flights per day.

https://www.flightconnections.com/fligh ... tlanta-atl
The most frequently departed flights to Atlanta are routes from New York City (LGA) in United States and Orlando (MCO), also in United States. These two routes together are operated 1389 times this month, and make up for 5% of all monthly arrivals at Hartsfield–Jackson Atlanta Inte.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

That's certainly a thought and it might work out that way in a while. Right now my wife is feeling that even that would be too much of leaving her mom alone.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im resting in between cleaning the chest of drawers out of both my stuff and my wife's. Making room for more of my stuff I want access to easy. Storing all the rest away.

Its hard to say the least. 3 years and Ive cried half the time and worked hard the other half. Im pushing my way through it. Most people would tell me to just get rid of it all and not bother. But its part of my wife to me. Part of 'us' Memories Ill store it safely away. Looking over it as I go.

Ive seen stuff from recently like receipts from 2017 or bank papers. Also seen things of 1990s like 93-98. Receipts. I can see where we were and what we were buying at that day. Its nice. Reminds me of life. Need to live now too. So it helps. I found where she held onto her father's drivers license he got just a month before his death. I remember taking him that day. Saw her address card from 1972 on her school card. Such wonderful memories to keep. So many things I remember her loving to wear. Others still with tag on them she never got to wear.

Id always remembered going to Kentucky to get a dog but never could remember where. I didn't drive that day. Found the exact address and where my wife wrote directions on a piece of paper. Long before google. Its was 1998. We had a cell phone though. Fun stuff. Fills in gaps Id lost over time.

Still hard as hell 3 years later tough I must admit. Sometimes feel Im packing her away due to some silly reason but Im not. Just doing life.
Last edited by Daehawk on Tue May 17, 2022 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It sounds like you're moving in the right direction.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Daehawk, she would want you to enjoy the life you have in front of you.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Got my riding lawnmower back yesterday. Mowed the lawn today. It's been almost a year since I operated it last time. I need power steering. :think:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

I think my wife is ready to divorce me.

About a week ago, I came home from work and walked out the front of the house to do some cleanup after cutting the grass the day before.
I notice a bag laying by the tree in front of our curb.
Walk over to pick it up. Someone had taken the time to pick up their dog's shit, place it in a bag and then just left it there.
WTF, you did the hard part. Why just leave it there?
Why? Because you're an ignorant, lazy asshole, that's why.
I'd probably prefer they just left it out to be exposed to the elements and help fertilize my lawn.

I told my wife that under no circumstances is she to touch that bag.
That bag will sit there until it's rightful owner retrieves it and disposes of it properly.
I will mow around it. I will edge around it.
That bag will disintegrate back into the earth before I ever move it.
Every time that person walks by, it will be a reminder of what a lowlife they are.

She thinks I'm nuts.
Well.....she knew that, but married me anyway.
Crazy comes with the territory.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Amateur. You need to elevate the poop in a box and craft a sign explaining that it will sit there until the cretin who left it claims it.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

So you've decided to subject yourself to chronic annoyance over someone's thoughtless indiscretion.

stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Jaymann wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:59 pm Amateur. You need to elevate the poop in a box and craft a sign explaining that it will sit there until the cretin who left it claims it.
I thought about getting one of those "clean up after your dog" signs, but they kinda did.
They just didnt transport it back to their own property.
Which to me is kind of worse.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

If they didn't care the first time, why would they care now? They're more likely to just roll their eyes and chuckle when they see it.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:15 pm If they didn't care the first time, why would they care now? They're more likely to just roll their eyes and chuckle when they see it.
Very true.
But at least they'll know I'm not their Mom or maid.
And for future reference, my security camera just happens to be pointing towards that tree now.
I pray they find it funny enough to do again.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

My first and best guess is that someone was walking their dog and their child in stroller, got distracted and left the poop behind. They likely will never remember that bag is theirs. No one takes the time to half clean up after their dog intentionally. Bagging dog shit and leaving it on someone's lawn with intent makes no sense unless someone is trying to leave a message.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

LordMortis wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:08 pm My first and best guess is that someone was walking their dog and their child in stroller, got distracted and left the poop behind. They likely will never remember that bag is theirs. No one takes the time to half clean up after their dog intentionally. Bagging dog shit and leaving it on someone's lawn with intent makes no sense unless someone is trying to leave a message.
Yeah, there are always bags of poop along the sidewalk or trails where people walk their dogs. It's like they tell themselves "I'll grab it on my way back" and they either forget where they left it or aren't even coming back the same way...ugh.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

LordMortis wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:08 pm My first and best guess is that someone was walking their dog and their child in stroller, got distracted and left the poop behind. They likely will never remember that bag is theirs. No one takes the time to half clean up after their dog intentionally. Bagging dog shit and leaving it on someone's lawn with intent makes no sense unless someone is trying to leave a message.
I have had zero issues with any of my neighbors.
There have been occasions where I would come home after the garbage has been picked up and found that someone decided to throw their shit bags in my empty garbage can instead of hauling it back home.
I'm assuming this is the same person, but since my can wasnt out there they just did the next laziest thing and left it there.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Holman

Post by Holman »

FWIW, I've seen cases where someone bags the poop and throws into the nearest full trash barrel (let's assume it's trash day and the barrels are out).

When the trash truck comes, the trash collector hoists the barrel but the bag (since it isn't very heavy or noticeable) falls out and is left behind.

(Reader, that someone was me.)
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Holman wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:37 pm FWIW, I've seen cases where someone bags the poop and throws into the nearest full trash barrel (let's assume it's trash day and the barrels are out).

When the trash truck comes, the trash collector hoists the barrel but the bag (since it isn't very heavy or noticeable) falls out and is left behind.

(Reader, that someone was me.)
Ack!!
Dont ruin my curmudgeonous ways with your totally plausible scenarios!!!
(It was on the day of garbage pickup when I first noticed it...... :think: )
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

At 53 I suddenly feel like Im too old to collect anything. I see everything my wife collected just sitting here. I see my video game collection which Ive loved for decades and think Ill not be around near as long as I have been and now its just a waste. Yes we both enjoyed our stuff I still do. But I have no interests in new items. My death seems so close now days. Just more stuff to collect dust and space. Im looking for stuff of mine to sell now that Im not attached to. Trading cards, toys, stuff. Even household stuff thats still good but will go to others anyways when I die.

Partly I know its due to me desperately needing fast money. I still haven't saved a penny for this years property taxes. I dont have emergency money if something comes up. No savings. I could use money over items. But the age and death thing are over riding now. Stuff I no longer have a need of there might be someone out there young that does.

Its so hard to figure out how to sell anything. Im interested in bulk sale and fast cash. If I sell one item every couple weeks or for piddling amounts per item Ill end up with nothing because Ill spend that money on stuff thats already needed or will be needed shortly. So damn annoying to live like this.

Someo0ne in their 60s posted that they'd gotten old enough to fall putting on or taking off their underwear. Im feeling that.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I love collecting things. It's been one of my biggest challenges in olde age to stop. I've done it okay but everytime I see a new toy or a new gun I still drool.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I collect digital things like music, but there is no room in my house or my life for any more stuff. I'd like to get rid of stuff I used to collect if it weren't a low-return hassle. I would rather divest than collect.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:03 am Partly I know its due to me desperately needing fast money. I still haven't saved a penny for this years property taxes. I dont have emergency money if something comes up. No savings. I could use money over items. But the age and death thing are over riding now. Stuff I no longer have a need of there might be someone out there young that does.

Its so hard to figure out how to sell anything. Im interested in bulk sale and fast cash. If I sell one item every couple weeks or for piddling amounts per item Ill end up with nothing because Ill spend that money on stuff thats already needed or will be needed shortly. So damn annoying to live like this.
Trust your instincts, because gas prices could hit $6.20 a gallon on average across the U.S. as we head into the summer driving season. And inflation is a regressive tax that most hurts the least affluent, i.e. those just like you, who must struggle to scrape by on a limited fixed income. So, if you're looking to liquidate assets in bulk, it may behoove you to contact some local estate sale and consignment services in your area. Or, failing that, pawn stores. If nothing else, they ought to at least be able to provide you with a better sense of how much realistic value there is in what you are aiming to unload.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I didn't get my water bill this month. I didn't get a late payment water bill. I did get my water cut off today. I took care of it of course.
It's been out 2-3 hours and they say it will be turned on today, but not in any hurry.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive worked 3 days on cleaning out and rearranging or storing stuff from a chest of draws and a dresser. I came across neat stuff today. Old pics of my wife when she was young, PC magazines in perfect condition from 1994 (2nd issue) to 2010....Fallout 3 and New Vegas are covers, clothing I was looking for, a vintage 1950s mini tool kit called Just In Case, christmas cards and condolence cards for pets we lost, and just stuff Ive kept because I love it or needed it.

But I cant stand upright today and my back and legs are in a lot of pain. Nothing over the counter Im taking is helping. And working with the drawer sitting on the bed isn't helping either. At least I think this is all Ill do until after the weekend. Then is linens and laundry time again. I really REALLY need to flip my mattress. Its very old and flat under my body where I haven't flipped it in years. Im just not sure I can between my health and the lack of room. But I think its really f'n up my back more.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

LordMortis wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:08 pm No one takes the time to half clean up after their dog intentionally.
Before I moved here, I would have agreed with you. We have paved hike and bike trails here. Not every week, but most weeks during the year I'll see someone has bagged their dog poop and neatly hung it on a nearby branch or bush. I guess they think the trail fairies will clean it up. They crews that maintain the trails don't do anything with them. They just trim back anything growing into the path or ride through with one of the those big blowers. Essentially, these people are just leaving the bags for their neighbors to pick up. They just don't know which neighbor since it's a public path.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

For its 25 year anniversary....geez 25 damn years.......The 5th Element is returning to theaters for a 2 day run.

https://www.darkhorizons.com/the-fifth- ... e-release/
Fathom Events and Sony Pictures Home Entertainment are teaming for a 25th anniversary theatrical re-release of Luc Besson’s beloved 1997 sci-fi feature “The Fifth Element”.

The two-day only presentation is in theaters on Sunday, June 26th and Wednesday, June 29th at 3:00 pm and 7:00 pm local time on both days.

The special presentation will also feature interviews with Besson along with several outtakes from the film. It will play on over 800 movie theaters across the country.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Another 25 year 5th Element tie in.....

dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I am getting sick and tired of looking for my tools and finding they're not there. Those assholes took off with hundreds of dollars worth of my stuff, not counting what they stole over the years. It was mainly his wife's kids.
I certainly hope bad things happen to them.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The El Garcia steak burrito (Burrito El Garcia on the menu) is now my favorite thing. I will order one shortly and pick it up for tonight's Joe Bob The Last Drive In episode. I fully expect all of you to spend this time lamenting the fact that you are not enjoying an El Garcia steak burrito.
Now depoliticized.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I've been watching electric bikes slowly gain in popularity and I'm like I eventually need to scale up from walking to something more. I figured an electric bike would be perfect. It'd be EV training wheels. I could use it to grocery shop. I'd get exercise but then as I wipe out, I could have pedal assist and then when I'm done just ride.

Then I saw the price tags for these things. It look like a reasonably good electric bike that could carry groceries not so precariously and hopefully would be a good fit for me start around $1600. Or I could try and be cheap about it for around $1000 and get close to what I want. Here's to hoping they come in vogue and then become a fad item so someone is looking to unload a really good used one for like $200 just to get it out their garage.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Why not just go full on Italiano and get yourself a Vespa? You could bellow out “Ciao bella!” at people as you drive along with your jaunty beret at an even more jaunty 35 degree tilt. You’d be the envy of everyone…even Remus as he trailed behind you on foot, not so secretly jealous of your international joie de vivre.
Now depoliticized.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Electric bikes seems to be more expensive than mopeds of similar quality, but the point was to get exercise but to not to have to get exercise as I am sure I will run out of steam very quickly, but I will eventually need to do more than walking, i hope, to try and right the ship on my health.