2024 Fundraising - $1192 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

2023 Republican House Follies

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Carpet_pissr

Re: 2023 Republican House Follies

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Daaaaamn. Noice.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

How true, Zaxxon.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

This is a mess. I can’t stand McCarthy but I’m not sure what comes next will be better and it could be a lot worse, as hard as it may be to believe that. There’s a small group that just wants to burn everything down, and they don’t care whether there is a speaker or not. I think they would be fine with no speaker for weeks until there is another shut down.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
malchior

Post by malchior »

The vote is on. It looks like Democrats in some numbers are joining the vote on the 'Yes' to remove side. Early talk was that they'd vote 'Present'. McCarthy has lost non-rebel GOP as well (e.g. Ken Buck) so it looks like McCarthy is going down.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Grifman wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:56 pm This is a mess. I can’t stand McCarthy but I’m not sure what comes next will be better and it could be a lot worse, as hard as it may be to believe that. There’s a small group that just wants to burn everything down, and they don’t care whether there is a speaker or not. I think they would be fine with no speaker for weeks until there is another shut down.
We'll see!
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Done. Such a shit show.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

We're... ah, I can't even anymore. We're just a joke.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

They interrupted my baseball game for this.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

LOL, McCarthy is out.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

From CNN:

Rep. Matt Gaetz called Kevin McCarthy "a creature of the swamp" following his ouster as Speaker of the House.

"He has risen to power by collecting special interest money and redistributing that money in exchange for favors," Gaetz said Tuesday about McCarthy. "We are breaking the fever and we should elect a speaker who is better."

Asked if he would now nominate Rep. Steve Scalise for speaker, Gaetz responded: "I think the world of Steve Scalise. I think he would make a phenomenal speaker."
For those keeping track:
The vote on the motion to vacate was 216-210 with eight Republicans voting to remove McCarthy from the speakership.

The Republicans who voted to oust McCarthy were: Andy Biggs, Ken Buck, Tim Burchett, Eli Crane, Matt Gaetz, Bob Good, Nancy Mace and Matt Rosendale.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Boobbert didn't side with him? Interesting. Good thing we don't have to figure out how to not close the gov. in 45 days or less. Fun!
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

So...who is the first one to publicly float the idea of Trump for Speaker? Gaetz? Mace? Biggs?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Octavious wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:14 pm Boobbert didn't side with him? Interesting. Good thing we don't have to figure out how to not close the gov. in 45 days or less. Fun!
She did side with him. Her name wasn't among the 8.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:23 pm So...who is the first one to publicly float the idea of Trump for Speaker? Gaetz? Mace? Biggs?
Trump probably.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I think that of all the reactions out there, this one wins.

:lol:
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:09 pm I think that of all the reactions out there, this one wins.

:lol:
That's hilarious, but I wonder how long he had it cued up.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Does it matter?! Still great! LOL
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Alefroth wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:42 pm
Octavious wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:14 pm Boobbert didn't side with him? Interesting. Good thing we don't have to figure out how to not close the gov. in 45 days or less. Fun!
I meant Gaetz learn to read my mind dude! :P
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:23 pm So...who is the first one to publicly float the idea of Trump for Speaker? Gaetz? Mace? Biggs?
Someone will float it. But while I was mildly concerned about Speaker Trump before primary season, at this point Trump is the prohibitive favorite to be the Republican nominee. It's hard to see what he gains from doing that.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

GOP members are already starting to blame the Democrats for ousting McCarthy. Like the children they are they are nothing is not predictable. The first ripples of this are reports that GOP members of the "problem solvers" caucus are threatening to walk away because the Dems there apparently didn't solve their problem for them.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Took a little longer than I expected, but there it is.

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Octavious wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:46 pm
Two sides of the same coin. I could get on board calling Gaetz Boobbert.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Alefroth wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:25 pm
Octavious wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:46 pm
Two sides of the same coin. I could get on board calling Gaetz Boobbert.
Gaebert.
Bootz (Bootzy if you're inside the Freedom Caucus)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Grifman wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:56 pm This is a mess. I can’t stand McCarthy but I’m not sure what comes next will be better and it could be a lot worse, as hard as it may be to believe that. There’s a small group that just wants to burn everything down, and they don’t care whether there is a speaker or not. I think they would be fine with no speaker for weeks until there is another shut down.
From my Congressperson:

Also, with a Speaker Pro Tem, there is a Speaker.
Last edited by Pyperkub on Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

OMG. Hilarious. I watched it thrice.

Referring to Bad Lip Reading video above.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

I think it is stupid for House Democrats to not vote to keep McCarthy.

They need to work with whoever the speaker is in less than 2 months to keep the government open and McCarthy is a safer choice for that.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:46 pm I think it is stupid for House Democrats to not vote to keep McCarthy.

They need to work with whoever the speaker is in less than 2 months to keep the government open and McCarthy is a safer choice for that.
I think if Fuckhead McCarthy hadn't opened a bogus Biden impeachment inquiry, that may well have been what happened. But, instead, he chose a futile attempt to placate the Gaetz gang, and I think that made it impossible for the Dems to do anything to help him retain the speakership.

Idiocy all around.

It's beyond me that there aren't enough moderate Dems and moderate Republicans in the House to get together on a consensus Republican speaker.

In an ideal world, there would be a vote that's 426-8 for the next speaker. The Gaetz gang should be isolated and the only ones voting against.

Of course, that will never, ever happen.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Holman

Post by Holman »

Why should Dems support McCarthy when he has done [see Pyperkub's post above]?

The GOP is in the midst of a crackup or a civil war. It's up to Republicans to offer a choice Dems can support. Democrats weren't elected to give Republicans what they want.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

They've ousted the devil they know. We'll see how it works with the one they don't.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Holman wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:22 pm Why should Dems support McCarthy when he has done [see Pyperkub's post above]?

The GOP is in the midst of a crackup or a civil war. It's up to Republicans to offer a choice Dems can support. Democrats weren't elected to give Republicans what they want.
To avoid shutdown? It might not be possible for Democrats to work with the next speaker since working with Democrats was the reason for McCarthy's removal.

They have only less than 6 weeks to work on something to avert shutdown. Spending a week of that time to elect a new speaker isn't going to help and also the new speaker has a good reason to avoid working with Democrats because of what happened to McCarthy.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Extremely serious McHenry kicks Pelosi out of her office. He demands she moves by tomorrow. She is in California to attend memorial services for Feinstein. These people are so small.
As one of his first acts as the acting speaker, Rep. Patrick McHenry ordered former Speaker Nancy Pelosi to vacate her Capitol hideaway office by Wednesday, according to an email sent to her office viewed by POLITICO.

“Please vacate the space tomorrow, the room will be re-keyed,” wrote a top aide on the Republican-controlled House Administration Committee. The room was being reassigned by the acting speaker “for speaker office use,” the email said.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:50 pm It might not be possible for Democrats to work with the next speaker since working with Democrats was the reason for McCarthy's removal.
Well, it's the reason that Gaetz started the process. But he only had a group of 8 Republicans. Betraying the Democrats (see above) was the reason for McCarthy's removal.

See, I kinda see it this way.
The GOP has two paths forward...

1) The GOP can elect a speaker that is a megaphone for Gaetz and Co., and Gaetz and Co. will not make a motion to vacate.
2) The GOP can elect a speaker that will actually work with the Dems, so the next time Gaetz and Co. hold the country hostage, the speaker may not be ousted when Gaetz and Co. make a motion to vacate.

How on earth the GOP elects a speaker that will work with the Dems will be something to see.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The best case would be a parliament style coalition. However, that is difficult where the traditional role of the minority party is to be the loyal opposition. I don't think it'd be stable or survive even if it somehow came to be. That seems even more unlikely with the rumored implosion of the so-called "center" as the Republicans throw temper tantrums tonight.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

malchior wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:14 pm as the Republicans throw temper tantrums tonight.
I've not been keeping up with their reaction. What are they doing/saying?
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

malchior wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:14 pm The best case would be a parliament style coalition. However, that is difficult where the traditional role of the minority party is to be the loyal opposition. I don't think it'd be stable or survive even if it somehow came to be. That seems even more unlikely with the rumored implosion of the so-called "center" as the Republicans throw temper tantrums tonight.
This is exactly what we need. Which is why I have not optimism at all that this is what we’ll get. We get what we deserve, not what we need.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Rep. Gerry Connolly (D-Va.) discusses House Democrats’ stance on the vote to oust Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.).

video:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... ocialshare
malchior

Post by malchior »

Unagi wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:16 pm
malchior wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:14 pm as the Republicans throw temper tantrums tonight.
I've not been keeping up with their reaction. What are they doing/saying?
It started with McHenry gaveling out the session in what can only described as 'my kindergarten teacher took my toys away' energy. They went into a closed 'family' session where apparently McCarthy announced he was done. McCarthy then came out and blamed the Democrats proving their read of him as correct.

The rest of that misfit bunch then came out and started yelling on social media about how the Democrats betrayed them as well. To be fair, much is the usual Republican deflection bullshit but there have been several members posting crazy demands to seat a new speaker. Most of it is the usual nonsense (e.g. impeach Biden, investigate Hunter Biden, defund Ukraine). The right-wing is very active tonight though it is not all uniform. Some of it is overjoyed gloating by MAGA as well.

As I posted above, also McHenry kicked Pelosi out of her office because he 'needs the space'. One rumor is that his best buddy McCarthy blames Pelosi for much of this because she talked him into the 'one vote to vacate' rule. Very adult-like to blame everyone for your very public and very foreseeable failures.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That's what is hilarious about all this. It was going to happen. No one knew exactly when, but the idea that he was going to continue to be the Speaker after how this session started is just...wrong.
LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:24 pm They've ousted the devil they know. We'll see how it works with the one they don't.
I get the sentiment, but I suppose there is some not-zero chance that a reasonable person emerges from the chaos that is now tearing through the GOP behind the scenes. Sort of how new growth always emerges from a massive forest fire, perhaps this is the thing that will have the GOP right itself and get back on...

Ok, I can't even fake it. They're going to continue to implode and things will likely be worse, yes. But that was never in question.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:03 pm Ok, I can't even fake it. They're going to continue to implode and things will likely be worse, yes. But that was never in question.
No need to fake it... The GOP is only a small part of the way through the required prescribed burn. This was going to happen, and the fire must continue if the party is to survive.

Meanwhile, Kevin McCarthy Got What He Deserved. Good riddance.